“Clackity-Crack, the AC's Back”

Hilton Woodcliff Lake
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Woodcliff Lake
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Location wise, this property was great. Its in a cul-de-sac and a quiet location at all times, as the surrounding Business Park rolls up around 6

I found a few Service issues that took away from the overall stay quality.

Three out of the four nights I was there, the Housekeeper didn't leave a washcloth. I would call the front desk and they would send one up. I asked the nightly turn down service person on the third night to bring me one to avoid calling Housekeeping. They said they would later, as they experienced a shortage. Later never came, so I called down and was delivered my washcloth. On the second day, they decided not to refill my shampoo / conditioner bottles. I called down and they sent some up.

The second service issue was the two faced person in the lounge. Every night except Tuesday, she was a smiling teddy bear. Tuesday, however, from 7 to 8, was the free drink hour. When I noticed it was 2 minutes until 8 on the wall clock, I realized she had not notified me of the end of the free drink hour, and went to receive one last free beer. Then the Wicked Witch of the East emerged. I quote her exact words "No, the bar is closed. One two minutes before, it does not matter! The service is done" Like the Seinfeld episode, "No Soup for You" Indeed it was, I suppose. I convinced her to lighten up, but the memory of her antagonism has not faded. I recommend that she both remind everyone when 8pm is coming on Tuesday's personally, and not put on the pointed hat/broomstick when people are asking for the Happy Hour service until the deadline.

The Woodcliif lake has a small Coffee shop that serves Starbucks. Yay! The coffee shop closes at noon each day. You must be joking. Here is a Convention Hotel that has a major lobby feature of a coffee shop that is open maybe 5 hours a day, not in the afternoon or evening. That's ridiculous.

Now about the property and rooms in general. The lobby is nice and modern looking. Then you step on the elevator and go back to the 1970's.Wood paneling looks sad and old in the elevators, which leads to the carpet in the hallways which looks sad and old but which matched the sad and old wallpaper just great. The rooms decor matches the hallways, Sad and old. Beyond the lobby, this property screams "Renovate Me". Some Hotel rooms delight you. This one depressed me.

The last piece, and the title of this review, was the kicker. The AC didn't softly start and stop at temperature. The AC began and ended with the CRACK of a transformer begging to be serviced. It was an old wall mounted unit, and that CRACK was enough to make me jump in the quiet of the room. Quiet that is everywhere except through the paper thin front door, where you can hear the hallway conversations nicely from your bed. And I am sure that the hallway crowd can also hear any bathroom sounds going on as it's next to the door.

As the business was booming during my stay, I see a real need to renovate this sprawling property's hallways and rooms soon or yesterday to keep it vital

Room Tip: Find somewhere else until they renovate
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Lou G, Manager at Hilton Woodcliff Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Dear VisitedNewPlaces,
Thank you for taking the time to convey the service issues you faced while staying at the Hilton Woodcliff Lake. We will address them with the appropiate departments. Our Housekeeping team strives to make sure all rooms have top notch cleanliness and they have outstanding scores within Hilton standards. I apologize for the service issues you faced with various departments, but rest assured they will be addressed.
The Hilton Woodcliff Lake is currently in full phase of renovation starting with the exterior of our hotel then transforming the interior rooms from the dated condition you mentioned.
Lou Gaudio
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Stayed at this property due to everything being sold out near Teterboro Airport during the UN function in NYC. I travel alot with my job and my company for what ever reason likes to stay at Hilton properties. After staying at the Hilton Woodcliff Lake for three days, it drove me to write my first review on tripadvisor. I have enjoyed tripadvisor for some time now and trust the reviews I read on properties I am planning on using in the cities I travel to with my work.

I've had it with Hilton. For the most part, your hotels are old, out-date, have dirty, musty smells. Not all are like this, but I have to say most of the Hiltons are older than the hills. You can only do so much to an old hotel....its always going to be old...How many times can you paint the door over and over again? The popcorn ceilings have mold and are falling down in the hallways and rooms. I'm pissed that my company pays $265 a night for such crap!

For this kind a money per night, I would expect Hilton to remodel its properties with more thought then they currently update rooms. Putting a flat screen and a fancy bed spreed just does not do it for me. How about using new carpet that doesn't look like carpet from the Excaliber Hotel in Vegas, How about raising the shower heads for guests taller than 5ft., the gold fixtures in the hallways and rooms remind me of my grandmothers house (sorry grandma...my Grandmother is 101/yrs. old). Hilton, thank you for the Wifi in the rooms, but really-it reminds me of the speed of dial up service I use to have on AOL...Very painfully slow!!! Don't think of watching a youtube video or Netflix movie on your iPad...its not going to work. And this isn't just at the Hilton Woodcliff Lake property, this happens at every Hilton, Hilton Garden, Embassy Suites, Doubletree etc. we stay at!

I can't believe that this property actually has so many good customer reviews...maybe its just me being spoiled from all the 1000 plus nights I've stayed at Marriott properties. Yes, there are some old Marriott's, but for the most part all the old Marriott properties are all clean and modern unlike the Hilton properties. Some other Hilton brand properties can be nice, but Hilton properties are way behind the times!

Enough with my complaining...Please people, DO NOT stay at this Hilton. All in all a terrible hotel...Go to the Marriott and make a point to Hilton remodel these old crap properties!!!

Room Tip: Go to the Marriott!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Dear Jetspeed3,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us your feedback on your most recent stay. We are in our first phase of renovation with the exterior being completed in two months and then our in room renovations should be complete by mid 2012. I truly hope that you would change your mind about Hilton properties for we strive for the best customer service. Our Housekeeping department has achieved three times the highest inspection from Hilton standards which we are very proud of.
Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to have you stay with us again

Lou Gaudio
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed there for a reunion and the room was ok...had a feeling the carpet was always wet and the air conditioning unit was one of the very old variety, so it seemed like it was trying to keep up. The windows were fogged up the entire time...the ceiling in the shower was falling down...they charged $ 15.00 for a refrig. But the worst part was the diaster of a dinner they had for our group. Not enough tables set up...and it I have never experienced such an unorganized event.

Room Tip: Try to get a room so that you do not have to walk a mile to get to it from the main area of the hote...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Clttravelor
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I arrived in Newark on Wednesday, August 24th in the early hours of the morning. My good friend Libby picked me up and we headed down the Jersey Shore to her home in Ocean City. Thanks to Irene I took a car service to meet other friends on Friday, August 26th since my friend had to evacuate the island where she lives. Stayed in Wayne, N.J. with close friends.

I was originally scheduled to check into the Hilton on Sunday, August 28th which was the day of the wedding I was attending. On Saturday, with the weather and the reports being so scary I was concerned that I was now only one hour away from where the wedding would be and I might not make it. After coming all the way from Vegas I was not about to miss the wedding.

I contacted the Hilton and was able to secure a room for Saturday night. My friends drove me up Saturday afternoon and I checked into the hotel. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. Of course, everyone was nervous about the impending storm, Irene. Unfortunately, I've lost the names of the employees who were so wonderful during my stay. However, Charles who is a bell man was particularly delightful and drove me in the van to a restaurant named Valentino's which was excellent.

I woke up Sunday morning around 7:30a.m. and made the mistake of not immediately hopping into the shower. By 7:55 we had no power at the hotel. I was on the top floor which luckily was only the 4th floor. Around 8:30a.m. I headed downstairs in search of coffee, etc. Much to my surprise was there not only complimentary coffee but a full complimentary breakfast including a chef making omlettes to order. Later took a cold shower and allowed my hair to dry au naturel. (This is when one of my infamous hats would have come in handy for the wedding.

Luckily, the wedding was at the Rockleigh Country Club where they had power. And, even with all the flooding in front of the club they made an entrance for everyone. Outside of being shy of approximately 50 guests who were unable to get to the wedding due to cancelled flights on Saturday and Sunday. And, some locals from N.Y. and N.J. who could not get through because of flooding.

When we returned to the hotel at about 10:30p.m. the staff was still as friendly as ever and keeping up their spirits. They opened the bar so the celebration could continue. They provided all of us with glow sticks to take to our rooms.

The parents of the bride were hosting a brunch on Monday morning and how they pulled it all off I'm not sure with no power. The brunch was lovely but more importantly the employees were still smiling while dealing with many of their own worries.

When I left on Monday at noon the hotel had been 28 hours without power. I want to say that from the GM to everyone else on the staff they were all FABULOUS!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MaryAnn050
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We booked this hotel for a one night stay for a friend's wedding. I had to book over the phone to get the discount rate. It wasn't the easiest booking experience but was done correctly.
The hotel is located at the rear of an office park. It is near some shopping center if one were to need to something during his or her stay. Check-in was done meticulously by the front desk attendant. We took the elevator to our fourth floor room and noticed a lot of staff and security around. As it turns out, the Sons of Israel had booked a block of rooms during the weekend and could not operate electricity during the Sabbath, so the staff and security were there to operate machinery and open electronic doors for them. I thought it was nice of the hotel to accommodate this.
The room was a standard king room with an HDtv and a mirrored closet. The room could have used a little more lighting, as there were many small lamps spread throughout the room, but none were particularly strong. The bathroom was fully functional, though the sink was a little high and far from where the user would stand.
During our stay, we took advantage of the bar, which had a decent beer and appetizer selection. They would pour your drink in a plastic cup if you wanted to leave the bar. We also took advantage of the restaurant for breakfast on Sunday. They had a buffet that was a bit expensive, but everybody seemed to enjoy their food, and the waiter brought my wife soy milk and tried to find her dairy-free margarine.
We checked out at the front desk with no problem later that morning. I would recommend the hotel if you had a function in that area. There are many more amenities at the hotel than you find at typical properties in North Jersey.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank DSXM
rcacciato, Manager at Hilton Woodcliff Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Dear DSMX,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hilton Woodcliff Lake.

I am sorry that you encountered problems while booking your reservation; we do encourage our group contacts to share the group/convention code to make the booking process more convenient for our Guests by allowing them the opportunity to book the group rates on-line.

We hope that the next time you are in the area you will choose the Hilton Woodcliff Lake and have the time and opportunity to enjoy the many amenities we offer.
Best regards,
Rosalba Cacciato

Reviewed August 5, 2011

i stayed at this hotel after a wedding the rooms are ok ,but the bar is out of their minds with the prices they charge for the drinks that are mostly ice and water dont waste your time going for a drink in this place

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NEWJERSEYSCOTTIEG
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My team brings a huge group (over 100 rooms for a week) here each November and I can not say enough about their service. Every detail of our folio, banquet event orders, and details are in place before we arrive. Because of the nature of our group we frequently have to make last-minute schedule changes, the catering staff makes every effort to accommodate time or menu changes. From needing 20 ironing boards (don't ask!) at the same time to utilizing every meeting room simultaneously, this hotel knows service.

Every member of the staff smiles and says hi; they remember your name. If a problem arises they address it professionally. They also have some of the best hotel food and the most comfortable mattresses away from your home. Only negative is the dry air - bring your lip balm and hand cream if staying more than one or two nights.

Even if you are not staying for business this is a wonderful hotel on a beautiful property. Walking paths, tennis, indoor and outdoor pools.

Room Tip: Hotel is extremely large - as in long. If you have problems walking ask for a room closer to the ele...
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

Dear Paintdept,

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words about your yearly experience at the Hilton Woodcliff Lake. We truly appreciate your business and do look forward to welcoming you and your entire group back every year!
The countdown has begun for us and we have already set aside the irons and ironing boards for you!
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Cheers,

Residence Inn Saddle River
#1 of 1 in Saddle River
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Mariott Paramus

Been to Hilton Woodcliff Lake? Share your experiences!