“Food is what is most important!”

Blue Moon Mexican Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
NJ
“Food is what is most important!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

If the food taste and quality is most important, all else is secondary. You need to go to a place a few times to know what you really want. When it comes to Mexican food, this is our preferred restaurant. We have been going here since the other Blue Moon in Old Tappan merged with them 4-5(?) years ago. Don't pay much attention to the employees since the focus is always food which they are prepared to customize just for you - less cheese, more beans etc. The chips are not too oily and the salsa is tasty, spicy and chunky.

The casual family setting lends a good atmosphere - don't expect you to be very quiet and you can relax and enjoy the food at the same time.

• Visited February 2014

Montvale, New Jersey
“Give me time”
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

As we entered the restaurant , we had to work our way through 6-7 employees standing in front of the front desk. We were seated immediately and presented with a bowl of salsa and taco chips. We placed our drink order in and I noticed the employees still standing by the door. It was very intimidating as people entered the building. The entrees were served and were excellent . The bus boys kept circling the tables in eagerness to clear the table. I just put my fork down and they asked me if I was finished. My wife was still eating and they cleared my station. As soon as my wife was finished, they immediately took her dish too.It was not relaxing, as we were being pushed out the door. It is a treat to go to dinner and take time out from the hectic world we lived in. Although the food was delicious , it will be some time before we go there again.

Visited April 2014
woodcliff lake nj
“Save your money”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Worst Mexican food I have ever eaten. Chicken fajitas and rice dry overcooked and tasteless. OVERPRICED !!!!!
Save your money and gas NOT WORTH THE TRIP.

Pinckney, Michigan
“Decent”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I was excited to try this place as a recommendation from a co-worker on a work trip. Dining solo, it was disappointing to feel unimportant as a single diner. No one checked on me, I had to flag someone down after awhile to get my check, etc. that aside, the food was really good. They had a lot of vegetarian options. I started with the veggie chili that was great and I had the Vegetarian Burrito Nopales that were awesome. I had never had Nopales (cactus), so it was fun to try. Margarita hit the spot too. But $8 for a house one.

1 Thank JDR330
Lake Mary, Florida
“Good food, High Prices, Bad Service”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I have been to the Blue Moon Cafe twice. There are few good offerings for Mexican food in the area, so they are a natural choice.
In fact, they probably have the best American Mexican menu in the area, the food was very good, the menu is a good combination of traditional (burritos, enchiladas, tacos, etc) and one-of-a-kind dishes for the more adventurous. The real measure of this type of restaurant is how much they care about their beans and rice. Many lower quality places just slap anything on your plate to fill space. Here they are pretty good, with the beans edging out the rice in flavor and consistency.
The dining area is quite small, and on our first visit, extremely noisy, we had to shout to talk to other people at our table. Of course so did everyone at every other table, so the problem escalated quickly. The second time we went they were much less busy, and the noise level was fine.
What was consistent in both visits was the dismal service. If I am forced to go there again, I will bring my own water supply, because no one will refill it for you. And make sure you have your payment ready to go when the server brings your check because you won't be seeing them any time soon. Well, in our case, we saw our server all the time, talking to the other servers at the bar. Obviously she wasn't interested in helping us at all.
The prices are on the higher end, but consistent with prices in the area.

• Visited February 2014