“Relaxingly Relaxed”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Relaxingly Relaxed”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I recently visited the Hilton in Woodcliff Lake. I was stressed from my long travels and needed to relax. I went to the pools and they were nice, but the baby's crying didn't help. I ate in the restaurant, it too was nice, but it was just OK. Then I saw there was a Spa, So I made an appointment for a Facial and Massage. The owner, Janine, gave me the facial and the massage was done by Jackie. I was completely relaxed when done. They made the rest of my stay go so much better. They strove to make me relaxingly relaxed.

Visited May 2013

gorgeous hudson valley
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Far from a Spa”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Whatever has been said below, is true. We bought 2 Groupons for the massage/facial and made it into a gals' overnight getaway. We arrived 15 minutes early and were greeted by a locked entrance. We sat on the floor and waited till someone came, "sorry, we were at lunch". Relaxation area, if any is sparse, wrought iron peacock chairs, and a padded bench which is located in a walkway/ hallway is the spot were you relax. We changed in the locker rooms and be prepared, there are no locks on the lockers. No slippers at all, so you bring your own, wear your street shoes or go barefoot. This room is open to those using the workout room and spa. The room I had my facial in had bare floors and the ceiling fan was in need of a long overdue dusting.
The person who gave me my facial was also the owner of the spa. On a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 4, there was no finesse in the treatment, I could hear her wiping her hands on the sheet covering the table, music was loud and the floors absorbed no noise, so any footsteps sounded loud.
My massage therapist Joan was perfect. One drawback was the table, it seemed to be a portable one with a 'blow up' headrest.
All the employees were in street clothes, my therapist Joan, was the only one who had a 'jacket' on. She also seemed the most professional, speaking in a soft voice with the proper amounts of 'can I get you anything'? . When we were checking out, we were offered the same special as the Groupon, but declined (wise choice). I had only bought 2 of the specials, but instead of charging me 'a la carte' prices, the owner extended the deal to me, which was so appreciated. But, when I went to charge it to my room, I couldn't..... I was told the spa is independently and is not associated with the hotel. I contacted Hilton in regards to the spa, it's just not Hilton worthy. The spa needs help. We were pleased with the hotel, but when choosing/comparing spas, I know we'll say, "I hope it's NOT like the one in Woodcliff Lake."
I hope they will be able to bring their standards up, improvements are needed. The owner told me her hands were tied, she wants to upgrade but Hilton won't allow her to do what she wants. This does have the potential of being a good spa.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank 2toots
Park Ridge, New Jersey
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“It's Only #1 because it's the only attraction!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I just got back from a negative experience at the Spa at the Hilton. Like the other reviewers, I purchased a Groupon - I guess the adage rings true "you get what you pay for!" Similar to "Too stressed to relax", I arrived early to fill out paperwork, expected a robe, relaxation and atmosphere. Instead, I was made to wait almost an hour, felt like I was forgotten-about, was given the same excuses ("getting the room ready, etc."). The receptionist practically forgot I was there - noticed me at 5:20 and said "I didn't see it was past 5:00 - she hasn't taken you yet?")The therapist who did my massage, as it turned out, passed by me two times while I was waiting, with no greeting, no eye-contact, no explanation of the delay. She had a cold, and although she tried to be discreet, it was difficult not to hear her sneeze and sniff throughout the session - the distraction and contagiousness was not right. Plus, it was Valentines' Day and being 40 minutes late with the massage threw my other plans as well. I should have read TripAdvisor before purchasing the Groupon - too many other people have had similar experiences over time, so it wasn't just an "off-day" and it's a problem that the owner obviously doesn't care enough about to make corrections/improvements!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Larry46713
Suffern, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Too stressed to relax!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I arrived to this uninviting, retro-fitted hotel room 15 minutes prior to my 1pm appointment, knowing that there would be paperwork to complete and I would probably need time to change into a robe, etc. I had bought a Groupon and was eager to try a new place close to home. The girl that was there was not particularlyfriendly. I filled out my paperwork and went back and sat down. There was no ambiance or comfortable furniture to be found. The one chair was wrought iron with two random ill fitting pillows stacked upon it as a seat. A few minutes later I asked for some water, which is usually offered, and was given a bottle of Walgreen's brand water. At 1pm that same girl came by and said that my therapist was just finishing up, and then disappeared with presumably another client. I was left in this lobby/reception area alone with the entrance locked. At 1:15 a guy came out and I asked him when he thought I might be seen as my appoinment was at 1. He said the last person came late so they were running behind. I suggested that next time somone is late that their session be cut short rather than make the rest of the clients late. Finally at 1:25 the person who was going to do my massage came out. I reminded her that my appoinment was at 1 and she said they were running behind because they had no receptionist that day. So which was it? I had another appointment at 2:30 and called to see if I could push it back, but her schedule was full and she was not able to change it. Rather than mess up someone else's schedule I would have to forgo my massage. At this point I was too stressed out to relax anyway. Besides she told me it would be a few minutes past that time even while she reset the room.
I was so disappointed and unimpressed by the place itself, when I got home I called Groupon and had my money refunded. I had also purchased an additional Groupon for a facial there as well which I also cancelled. While I understand things come up, I want an apology that is heartfelt and not just words, and maybe just a little bit of ambiance would help!!

3 Thank RobbiBlu
new jersey
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Just okay”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I did not stay at this hotel, but went with a friend today for a massage at the spa that we had purchased through Groupon. The spa itself was okay, pretty much what you expect at a hotel spa, but my massage therapist seemed a little bored being there. My friend said her experience was great. We were offered the same deal as Groupon for another massage and we did purchase it, however I did request a different therapist.