“A piece of paradise - and the owner makes it rock”
Review of Bo Resort

Bo Resort
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Can't ask for much more if you're looking for an escape.... beautiful sunsets, a little bar, simple bungalows, great food. Don't expect swimming pools, fancy rooms, wide screen TVs - this place is an Escape from all that. And what really makes the place rock is the incredible owner - Regis. This guy loves his music, a sunset drink, and is a wealth of information about the island, and life in general. Thanks for a wonderful stay and we hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank jthewanderer
RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

For once, I will be short:
Thank you! You make me blush, which is pretty hard to achieve...
DJ Regis, fan from the sixties :)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

All right, I am a French guy traveling in Vietnam. I came at Bo Resort in April and it was simply the paradise on earth, the beach it’s idyllic, far away from all the tourists, perfect for relaxing and forget the rest of the world.

I really appreciated the seafood and fishes! Especially the grilled tuna with its chili sauce. Yummy. Nonetheless, like it’s said in the previous reviews, the prices are a little expensive for the food for Vietnam. Anyway you have a plenty of choice of Vietnamese and Western dishes tasty and so good (the pizzas are really good).

I slept in a cozy garden bungalow; everything is well made and arranged, it’s simply but lovely. You just need to wait around 5 minutes for get hot water but who really need hot water when the temperature outside is around 35 degree?

You can easily rent a motorbike for a half or full day and go all around the island. I really recommend going to the north of the island, it took me between 5/6 hours to do the circuit (including all the breaks). The landscape is amazing, you are driving on the edge of the beach and then into the forest and mountain. Just be aware of the road and the other drivers. Don’t drive too fast, take your time and enjoy this beautiful moment of your life!

The service at Bo Resort is pretty good, not all the staff speaks well English but they are all very helpful and friendly. When you ask for something at the reception they answer you the best as they can and they take time to listen your request. Similarly with the waiters, who are
very reactive and autonomous.

Marie and Regis, the owners of this place are also French and very nice persons. Even if this place was build 10 years ago, they still welcome warmly the guests and discuses with them and give you precious advice about the island and things to do and see on the mainland.

What else? Oh yes! I want to come back there! I really recommend this place for people that are looking for authenticity, calm, beautiful beaches, amazing landscape, nature and of course sun!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Nicolas Nguyen H

Hello Nicolas,
Thank you very much! I like those reviews: easy to answer :)

I remember you. Your comments are interesting also because you are from Vietnamese origin, coming back on vacation to your native country. So you can appreciate both the Western and the Vietnamese culture.

It’s funny that you mentioned our pizzas! If people want to have a good pretext to have one, here in Vietnam and on the seashore, they can choose the “Tuna Pizza”, or the “Seafood Pizza”. That’s what I do :)It will be harder to explain why you would choose the “Salami Pizza”! But the kids love it and they don’t need any pretext…
Seafood pasta is also yummy, because of the fresh seafood with “al dente” spaghetti.
Little joke here: “I’m on a seafood diet: when I see food, I eat!”

Well, thank you again.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

After much trepidation following some recent reviews we stayed at Bo for 4 days and really enjoyed it ! There's a couple of drawbacks, but overall I'd not hesitate to reccomend to anyone that is looking for good clean accommodation, well away from the crowds besides a beautiful sea!

Plus points - as above, good clean accommodation, well away from the crowds and besides a beautiful sea, and additionally excellent and tasty lunch and dinner (with good size portions), Regis - the very helpful and pleasant owner, always happy to assist or to generally chat. and best of all, the amazing staff who may be a bit young and inexperienced, but who try their absolute best to do whatever they can to help you whenever they can !

Negatives - not really a negative, but you should be aware that rooms are not hermetically sealed (and not advertised as such) so you may get some bugs and lizards in the room - not a problem to us at all, but if you are a "Im really scared of spiders and insects" type person then Bo is not for you (but in fact why would you be going to tropical environment anyway?!). and the other negative would be breakfast which is (IMO) overly restictive with just 4 choices and no "mix and match" opportunity or second helpings.

Overall, a wonderful place to sit back and relax, but dont expect 5 star amenities! (or a second helping of Breakfast!)

and Regis - my wife was correct about the bus trip to Cambodia - it's 4 different buses between Ha Tien ferry port and Phnom Penh! - all went smoothly though and thanks for your help arranging this !

David

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the beach have more breeze so are cooler in the hot months
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dave_Lob
RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Hello Dave,
Thank you for your constructive comments.
You responded yourself to the less positive ones, so I have nothing much to add, except that we don’t have that many spiders here and they are not dangerous. You are right, it is a tropical country and, as such, in Vietnam we have a kind of lizard called Gecko but it is too busy eating the flies and mosquitoes (apparently very tasty food :) to really pay attention to us. About the breakfast, we are now adding an item to every type of breakfast, so our guests will feel more satisfied.
Yes, it is true, we don’t have the typical 5 stars amenities, but at BO you have space (at least 10 meters between the bungalows), only 18 units on 2.5 hectares and this amazing 4-km deserted bay. How many stars is this worth?
Regarding your “quirky” comment, English is not my mother language, so I had to google it: “Quirky: having or characterized by peculiar or unexpected traits or aspects”. I would say BO is maybe unexpectedly close to Nature. People who don’t appreciate Nature, or are not romantic at all, should not come to BO Resort (as it is all explained on our website).This is not your case, Dave, as you and your family have liked our place.Your lovely daughters said they like my responses, so I say hello :)

Thank you very much again.
Regis
PS: I am pleased to read that your trip to Cambodia went well, even if it was longer than planned.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Surprisingly...The paradise for the beach and nature lover is available on earth at Phu Quoc - The largest island in Vietnam, It set along with the charming landscape and structure, I was stay beach front bangalow where is face to the beach with the hill at the behind, This is a place for every people who want "Truely relaxing" and who want to be away from everything, The restaurant and beach bar are simply set up but look good, attractive and colorful with handmade lanterns and sweetly pink table top..that's much more than enough to have your greatest dining experiences and do not miss to try "Calamary stuffed with minced pork in coconut milk" and "Stir fried cubed beef with onion and black pepper" (Bo Luc Lac) with a bottle of "Two Ocean"...more than expected

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Pubordee K
RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Well, thank you very much for your comments. It also very nice for us to have courteous guests like you who are really pleased and take the time to say it… Please come again!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have so many mixed feelings regarding Bo Resort. We were trepidacious after reading the consistently up and down reviews, and can understand what previous reviewers have mentioned. There are positive aspects but unfortunately the negatives left us feeling lacklustre about this place.

Positives include a beautiful location with a bar set right on the beach, great sunsets, and a lush-tropical setting. The Vietnamese food was delicious (particularly ban xiao pancake), however the Western style breakfast feels a little underwhelming e.g. giant bread baguette with no butter?! We agree with other reviewers that food and drinks here seemed a bit pricey comparatively.

The bungalows are quaint, romantic and peaceful, but basic and dark (this means during the day, but also at night because a main light was broken in the bedroom). Open air rooms meant plenty of super-sized spiders, as well as a bat and frogs. The bed sheets were stained. Unfortunately there were also holes in the mosquito net which made for an uncomfortable night's sleep until we fixed this with a sewing kit acquired from a nicer hotel earlier on in our Vietnam trip #CinnamonHotelHCMC. It would also be far more convenient (and on par with the rest of Vietnam's hotel standards) to include daily drinking water.

Location: This isn't entirely a criticism, but it would be best to know beforehand that this is quite a remote spot and you're actually unable to 'easily' get anywhere else. This makes it idyllic in terms of being secluded, but limited (and sometimes frustrating) in regards to access to alternative sources of food or entertainment. Riding a scooter, for example, would be hard for first-timers as the driveway is still un-pathed and rocky. The beach outside of Bo Resort is also extremely polluted - as soon as you leave the confines of the resort you hit rubbish immediately. This isn't a complaint about the resort itself, but it is a bit depressing and a word of warning to the people who envision crystal clear water and white sandy beaches.

Service: this area was our largest gripe with Bo Resort, and it mainly stems from the French manager. After getting off to a rocky start where there was some confusion over our booking, we never felt entirely comfortable - certainly not comfortable enough to complain about things which could have been readily fixed by a more approachable manager. We'd originally requested a Beachfront Bungalow, but upon arrival found out we'd been put in a garden bungalow. When we queried this we were kept waiting for half an hour (after having travelled for 12 hours) and the manager was very defensive and rude. Instead of offering any compensation he demanded to know why we hadn't checked the bungalow out - um, because it wasn't ours?! Unfortunately the incident set the general tone for his behaviour the entirety of our stay.

Overall, as long as you can stand the bugs, and as long as your expectations aren't too high, this is still fairly good value for money for such a beautiful setting. It wouldn't take much to improve Bo Resort, and if the managers could read these reviews more constructively perhaps there will be some improvement...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hilly1986
RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Hilly,
I looked at your profile as a reviewer and I saw that you are a reasonable and fair person. When a senior reviewer and experienced traveler like you says something, we have to listen…

First of all, I would say that you came in January 2013 and you wrote this review in April, that’s 3 months after. Most of your points have been addressed since then. We had to renew our housekeeping team, which, apparently, was not doing such a good job. The new team is much more professional. Also our Manager at the time was doing usually a good job, but what we need is consistency. It has been “thanked” and I hope now he can read this review in an attempt to find areas for improvements… Because, if I analyze your review, I can see that you could have started by the beginning and talk about the fact that you have been ‘welcome’ the wrong way. Then, you took your notepad (or iPad :) and you started counting and making a note of all those details you mention in your review. You believe me, Hilly, if I say we have enough here to offer to let you forget about your notepad, or your “sewing kit”?

Aside from those valid points about keeping the place in good shape, some of your remarks need to be answered. If you had so many bugs in your room, I am sorry. Fortunately it is not usually the case and, if it happens, the frog is reserved for our French guests! Now you say that the place is kind of remote, but that is precisely what we advertise on our website and what people are looking for here. When you arrive from the new airport, you can see clearly that the central portion of the island is going towards the “Costa Brava” directions, not Saint Tropez or Hawaii. So, let me tell you that we are pleased to be away from that type of “development” and we will not change that, neither can we. From BO, you can do the same things as from the hotels closer to town and go explore the island on motorbike, car or boat. We are in the North-West part of the island, which owns the most interesting natural and untouched sites. The only difficult thing to do is going to town every evening for dinner. If people want or need to do that, two choices: 15-minute ride, or stay in town. People who have “sidewalk” food every day will have a chance to complain about their stomach after a while. What about hygiene? Every month we have a check by the authorities, but I am not sure they do it on the sidewalk. Do we eat on the sidewalk in our countries?

Last month we hired a new Manager. He decided with us, in his priorities, to fix those details that are coming back in our latest reviews, those “Nice-beautiful-place-but…” comments, and to fix them consistently, in the most professional way. I am not talking about this “Worst-resort-ever…” comment made by someone who wanted a refund but left early in the morning without paying his bill, that is trash…
I realize that, because of those comments, BO has recently become kind of a controversial place, which is something I don’t like. When I go around our tables to chat with our guests and they are like “stoned” by what they experience here and raving about this place and I go the next morning on TripAdvisor and I see those above-mentioned reviews, I am feeling surprised and sometimes discouraged, but then I get back on my feet and I want to do something more about keeping this place as The Paradise it deserves to remain.
Unfortunately, my experience is that out of 100 people, even if 95 are happy (or more :) about a place, or service, only a small portion will write, but out of the remaining 5, 3 are going to write. So we have 3 happy campers writing very good reviews, and 3 to complain. That’s the way it is
My goal here is to thank the 95% who write (or not), and to listen to what the 5% have to say, but I have to analyze: some people are just “complainers”, everywhere they go. Reviews like yours, Hilly, help putting things in perspective and improve. So, I will leave you the last words:
“It wouldn't take much to improve Bo Resort, and if the managers could read these reviews more constructively perhaps there will be some improvement...”
Yes, we can! Or even, in hospitality words: “Yes, weekend”… 

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Hi Everybody... I would like to share my experience with Bo Resort Hotel.
I am trying to get some positives and some negatives thought about it, unfortunately i have more negative.
I will start by positive anyway:
- beautiful place, beautiful beaches, good part of nature, good food but...
- Regis and Marine are very nice.
- boat trip in the island was very good.

Negative points :
- Good food but not enough quantity
- High (average) prices for the room without any special services.
- We spent 5 days, not once sheets or towels has been change
- crew too stress and too fast. Soon you finish your plate already gone
- crew are running to get the ordered dishes, it is stressing out...
- everything is bill. I asked extra butter for breakfast (very small portion) and it has been billed
- for the romantics. On the table they could use something else then half bad cut plastic bottle to keep candle away from the wind.
- no bottles of water in the room.
- no decorations or special stuffs to make the place different
- i did massage once, but not twice. She was very nice but not very good.

To conclude, it could be one of the most beautiful place on this island if owner is making few arrangements.
I will recommend it again when those changes will be made.

Boris and Sam.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boris1331

Bonjour Boris1331,

I don’t like your review. I don’t like this “friendly and fair” style, where you say “Good” but give us generously a 2/5 rating. Everybody has a right to complain, but… (As you would say :)

First this: “Hi everybody!”, as if the all world was waiting for it. Then your positive “Vaseline-like” remark: “Regis and Marie are very nice”. I am wondering what kind of review you would have written if we were not! And then the end: “I will recommend it again when those changes will be made”. Well, please don’t! You obviously don’t know how to recommend a place… :)

I wanted to reply to every remark, but this review does not deserve it. I do when it is a really constructive. Actually, I should not even answer…

You say: ”crew too stress and too fast. Soon you finish your plate already gone”, then “crew are running to get the ordered dishes, it is stressing out...”
- Are you unable to relieve your stress? You write the same critic twice! If you traveled in Vietnam, you should know that here good service is fast service, a little bit like in the States… I always ask our staff to slow down, but…
You also say: “Massage not good”
–They are good to relieve your stress, Boris! Maybe you should have tried twice, maybe you should have tried twice… sorry, I had to do it, I cannot help it!

You had constantly access to me and Marie and you say we are very nice. By the way, where else do you have access to the owners of a resort? They usually shelter behind their staff or Manager. Why didn’t you express your feelings to us?, even in a tactful way, instead of delivering this masterpiece kind of pathetic review...
Merci encore.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

After a frustrating 2 nights at My Lan, we moved to Bo Resort for two nights. I was nervous about staying here after I read some of the negative reviews, but this place beat every expectation I had. First, the setting is just amazing. The beach is gorgeous and uninhabited by tourists - unless you count some random cows who drink the water in the morning - and there is much less trash here than on the other beaches. Really, really incredible. We stayed in one of the bungalows that faced out into the water and it felt like paradise. The bungalow is open to the wilderness, so if you are bothered by insects and such (we had a bat in the bungalow one night), this is not the place for you. But if you like hearing the ocean as you sleep and waking up to have an undisturbed view, this is definitely the place to be. The service was the best we had on the island. The staff was attentive and helpful, and just very sweet. The manager is French, but speaks perfect English and helped us arrange an awesome day motorbiking around the island. Finally, the food was great - delicious breakfast, huge selection for dinner, and happy hour. Thank you Bo Resort for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LisaBobbi
RegisREMY, Owner at Bo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear LisaBobbi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your satisfaction. We work hard to get those good comments. This is our reward :)
Your review is interesting also, because you give our readers another point of view. You were coming from a place which is located on “Star Beach”, “Bai Sao” in Vietnamese, supposedly one of the nicest spot on the island. It is not like some reviewers who talk about “the neighboring resorts” without having experienced them. Obviously visiting a site and staying there is a completely different experience.
Thank you again. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.