“Perfect hideaway”

Ranked #8 of 103 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect hideaway”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

For the Asia leg of our big holiday, Mango bay resort has been our favourite. The rooms are amazing little hideaways set on beautiful grounds. The breakfast is the the best we’ve had in Asia. I would definitely recommend the BBQ at the beach bar for dinner. My wife and I are typically not Spa people but we ended up having three thai massages as the staff were so good. They run a free shuttle into town 3-4 times a day though there is not much to recommend Duoung Dong. The transfers to and from the airport are free. Wifi was pretty reliable. Perfect resort to hide away from the world.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The first thing to say is that this place is an outdoor lovers paradise, the rooms are shared with all sorts of creatures, we even had a small, tree dwelling mammal come into our bungalow! I absolutely love this, but if you aren't a fan of nature and the outdoors, this may not be the place for you.. as with other reviewers!

The showers and bathroom are outside the bungalow; I had many showers under the moon and stars which was amazing. The private beaches of the resort are great and they offer so much to do, including free shuttle buses to and from the small town of Duong Dong (even though I'd not go to the town if I could choose again).

Really fantastic place with a beach side bar and great restaurant to choose from! For outdoor lovers only!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel B
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

My last visit was late May, when it already rained in Phu quoc a certain time per day and makes the road lead to Mango Bay is more difficult but totally worth it for a stay or even a visit for dinner.
they well keep it as standard.
Services are much better than previous time. Food more delicious
A good model of how to use local material for their construction.
Great experience with loved one.
All the best the Mango Bay team.
Thank you the front office manager bringing my backpack to room and show us around but not a receiptionist, I would love to welcome you to my property one day.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Weetips
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have left the place 1,5 weeks ago and I have to admit that I have very divided view on this place... Nevertheless, decided to share my opinion here that others might decide for themselves.

First of all, about the positive things - the place looks like paradise. Beach is clean (compared to rest of island), here is jungle around, the eco concept is great, service is really very professional and good.
SPA is great and highly recomendable. Very nice touch from hotel is movie nights (great taste for movies) and yoga lessons on the beach.

BUT... at first it took us few nights to learn to sleep in such a heat. There is not too much wind coming in garden bungalows, so only thing we had to count on was fan. Maybe ok in other times of the year, but in May the average day time temperature was +35.
Second issue was bugs. I got bitten really badly while being on the beach and also on the veranda of our bungalow by some small white flies (looks like sand flies) and after 1,5 weeks being back in Europe I am still suffering from those. While the local employees were nice and gave me some antihistamine, I would have appreaciate if they would have been honest and explained to me what those creatures were and what it will mean... On the top of those, our bags were full of small ants, so we had to desinfect everything when coming home. And on the last night of our stay we had a huge attack from flying ants in our room.
I am used to campign, hanging in nature and living in tent, but even there I have never got so big bug attacks than living in this 100 USD / night eco resort... So, I am dissapointed.

As mentioned, there were loads of good things about the place, but few things ruined it pretty well too.

Room Tip: Don't take garden view bungalows, there is no breath of air coming in.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank LigaBL
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 2, 2014

3-day weekend in China and I needed to leave the country for my visa. Was craving some beach time and saw the recent Huffington Post article of places to visit before the become 'discovered'. Phu Quoc was on there....so I started planning. I came across the Mango Bay through the Mr. and Mrs. Smith website. Loved that it was on the beach and an eco conscious establishment. It was the perfect stay for a solo traveler for a weekend.

The resort has plenty of little nooks to lounge in - be it a couch at the beach bar, loungers scatter along the coastline, a hammock, the porch of your bungalow or the welcoming reception and main restaurant area. And the beaches are nice and clean...unfortunately this is not always the case in other parts of the island :(

The food at the resort is amazing. I loved every meal...and think I actually ate there for almost every meal! The Dragon Fruit/Banana jam is a must for breakfast and Iced Coffee (I miss it already). I even ordered a take-away sandwich from the Beach Club for an airport bite en route home. Sunset Happy Hours are great - stunning views, great drinks and chill tunes in the background. Perfection.

The staff is super helpful and friendly and very accommodating. Afternoon yoga is nice bonus offered, too - very relaxing.

If you have the chance to visit Phu Quoc, Mango Bay is an excellent place to call home while you're there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We loved loved loved our stay at Mango Bay. The location is picturesque - the huts are set back in the lush greenery and the beach is quiet with blue water and clean sand. Service was fantastic. For our honeymoon, they gifted us a bottle of wine. And standard greeting is a little snack and fresh fruit juice. Showering in that outdoor bathroom was definitely a highlight. With choices between two different beaches and lots of activities, you may never want to leave. But if you do, they have free shuttles into town and scooters and cheap and easy to rent.

Fair warning that food and drink prices are quite high for Vietnam, but the quality is outstanding. (And don't expect AC... and do expect bugs and geckos! Adds to the ambiance, right?)

Room Tip: The rammed earth bungalows seemed a bit smaller and less private than the plantation rooms. We still...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights in May and absolutely loved the whole stay. It is very relaxing and has a lovely feel about the place. We stayed in a sea view plantation bungalow and had a brilliant view of the ocean. The bungalow's veranda and outside bathroom are great touches and we loved feeling at one with nature. We tried the Vietnamese cooking class which was fun but we felt that it was more of a demo than a class so maybe slightly over priced- but nevertheless it was an experience. We were disappointed to find that we had arrived in their 'low season' and therefore the free boat trip was no longer active and there were no longer any organised sports- something we were not made aware of before visiting. The hotel did, however help to organise a scuba diving trip which was great and also arranged for a taxi to take us to Sao beach one day. We paid just £30 and we had the driver for 8 hours. He drove us south to Sao beach, waited in the car park for a few hours then drove us back via a waterfall. It was a brilliant day. The staff at Mango Bay really exceeded themselves and went above and beyond. The food was absolutely amazing and worth the money- it cost more than other places but it was the best food we had in Vietnam. We also really enjoyed the film nights which we enjoyed in the beach bar and playing the card games and chess with Hao, the waiter. We would definitely stay at Mango Bay again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple