The Saigon Phu Quoc Resort is a good but not great hotel. The hotels grounds are beautiful and the location along the beach is perfect for those looking for a quiet escape.
The hotel's private beach has shaded lounge chairs and a small snack bar. If you plan to swim, go early and get a seat in the middle of the beach which has the nicest shoreline.
My room was nice but a little dated and had a slight smell of mildew coming from the bathroom. The shower floor sank when you stood in it but at least it had warm water and good pressure. Each room at the hotel has wi-fi service.
The hotel's restaurants were average but inconsistent. I ordered the same item in two different restaurants and received one excellent dish and one not-so average dish. Stay away from the western food (especially the pizza) which was not very good.
The hotel offers cheap massages (3-hour package for $60 USD) but you should expect the environment to resemble more like a beauty shop and gym locker room rather than an actual spa.
It takes about 20 minutes to walk into town but you can also hire a motorbike right outside of the hotel. Avoid the motobike drivers right at the hotel entrance who try to charge you 2-3 times the going rate. Just start walking down the street and more motorbikes will offer a cheaper fare.
Getting to Phu Quoc, I took the 30 minute flight from Rach Gia. The plane, an old 2-twin propeller plane , looks rickety but it got me there safely. I was supposed to take the high-speed boat back to Rach Gia (Super Dong) but the hotel staff forgot to book tickets for me, after promising they would, and I had to fly back. If you're planning on taking the Super Dong back, make sure to book tickets as soon as you arrive.
Overall, the SPQR was a nice place but not a "luxury" hotel as it seems to be known for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stretching over 4 hectares, on the West Coast, Saigon-Phuquoc resort and spa offers 100 bungalows and villas (comprise bedroom, sofa bed, living room, bar connecting with dining space and kitchen). The property hides under coconut forests and striking colour of flowers. From these balconies, you can enjoy the sunset on the Thai's Gulf. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Fastbooking, Priceline, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your Saigon Phu Quoc Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saigon Phu Quoc Hotel Phu Quoc Island
- Saigon Phu Quoc Island Hotel