“Sub-standard and overpriced”

Ranked #69 of 98 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Dublin, Ireland
“Sub-standard and overpriced”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We booked this place because there weren't many rooms left over Christmas. The location is very good, just across the road from the beach and within walking distance of restaurants and bars. The room was fine but the hotel was very overpriced for what we got. The breakfast service was particularly bad, with luke-warm coffee and a poor selection of food. Overall, it had the feel and service of a budget hotel, while charging premium prices. That's supply and demand, I guess!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dasu_Irl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a nice place but this place try to rip off traveler money "$$".
When we came to book a room, there was only 1 room "bungalo" left, and we did agree the price to move in next day, then I came for the deposit, the woman there told me they had one Superior room available. After we checked the room and I said the superior room is better for my kids we decided to book that room. When paid the other woman "Huong" told me that room is not available or if I still want to book that room I had to pay more then the rate as agreement before.
I was very upset, what type of service is this... I know the price list charge the foreign people was differnt with native people but they did written agreement for us but they still denied. They forced us to pay more other then that they said no room.
We have been travel many place and I suggest if anyone want go here you have to watch out because the name of "Hoa Binh" means "Peace" but it was not.
I speak English and Vietnamese so that was why I understood they dishonest and tried to rip off your money.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Daivo819

Travelers are raving about these Phu Quoc Island hotels

Dollar, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in November and once again I recently had the misfortune of having to endure this place!
I had no sleep from the constant screaming of adults and kids, can't you speak civil to each other. As for that Kareoki on the premises. Wifi is a joke, staff are ignorant and have no idea. After my last visit I didn't even attempt the slop at breakfast.
Avoid this place at all cost if you are a westerner.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Vung Tau, Vietnam
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed over Christmas and only picked this place as availability was limited as we'd left it late to book. On the plus side the rooms were spacious and clean and the reception staff were helpful. Everything else was on the down side sadly. The pool area wasn't very welcoming, a few loungers with no cushions or towels, nowhere to buy drinks so not somewhere you would really want to relax, indeed we only saw a handful of people round the pool over the 4 days we were there.
There is a karaoke club next door, well in the same building as breakfast, and thankfully it finishes at 10pm as it was deafening. We were advised our room had a balcony with sea view, but the view was from the front of the building and the view from our balcony was overlooking the kitchen prep area which woke us noisily at 5am every morning with loud music.
The most disappointing factor was the location, it was very close to Duong Dong town and not near the beach, even though the hotel website says it has a private beach. Although the communal beach was only a 5-10min walk away it wasn't very clean, especially when compared to the stretch of beach a couple of kilometres down.
Wifi wasn't great and neither was breakfast, which finished at 9am, but if you like hamburgers for breakfast then this could be the place for you!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms anywhere near the karaoke/breakfast restaurant.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca H
Dollar, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight, room good size, comfortable bed, very clean. Although pretty basic, comfortable night stay. More suited for the Asian market, no European choice for breakfast, coffee terrible. You will require ear plugs if you want a sleep, karaoke club on the premises and lots of tour quests moving about very early & noisily.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We moved to this hotel as it was the only one available for NYE, and the poor reviews worried me. However, the staff was nice and the ladies at the front desk spoke English well and were able to help us with everything we needed. The room was clean, as was the bathroom, but it did smell a little strange without the A/C turned on. The room had a safe deposit box and TV, complimentary water was nice although standard. The breakfast wasn't very good though, and the tables at breakfast were dirty.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lappeenranta, Finland
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have been staying here for three nights so far. Signage is not entirely in English, but every normal human being can find his/her way around.
Our company have safety boxes in both rooms. Looking from the swimming pool, every balcony seems to have two chairs.
Breakfast is served from 6 to 9. There is plenty to choose from, some Asian some more European (like omelette). I think it is at least decent.
Staff is doing there best, they do help if you ask them.
Though I would like to see more sun bathing chairs at the pool area.

So... This is not a perfect hotel, but I think it's fine for the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends