All reviews solar power family dinner wine bottles beachfront cottage vietnamese lessons open roof bathroom free drinking water vietnamese language eco friendly eco tourism reading books beautiful beach remote location yoga classes sound of the waves cooking class vietnamese family
Reviewed September 4, 2015 via mobile

We stayed for 9 nights at Bamboo and believe it's the best value for money you will receive on Phu Quoc! The food is brilliant, the staff are brilliant and the location.. well.. put it this way.. You will not find better! Hire a resort scooter and check out what this brilliant island has to offer, when your done, make your way back to Bamboo, grab a fresh fruit cocktail and enjoy the sunset dropping over the island into the gulf of Thailand! Or, grab a book, soak up the sun and swim in the calm waters right at your doorstep. It's getting "getting back to nature" done tastefully and unforgettably at its finest. You'll love it!

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ben C
Reviewed August 30, 2015

We've been home for almost a month now, and I still find myself smiling at the amazing experience we had here. First, the price is amazing for what you get: A bungalow on the beach, breakfast on the beach, dinner on the beach . . . you are literally right on the beach.

The food is great, locally grown and served fresh! (if you exhaust their options, there are several other hotels nearby that welcome you to just stop and eat.) One of our favorite experiences was the family style dinners they offered twice a week. It's a great way to get to know everyone else there, and a fun blending of cultures. We were sad that no one else but us booked the second family dinner night, and we wished we would have been informed of that before we sat down to eat all that food alone, but everything was so delicious we couldn't really complain.

The facilities are eco-friendly, so be aware there is no air conditioning. We dropped the mosquito netting at night and turned the fan on; we had no problems. We were outside pretty much all day. The bathroom is open air, which means you'll find some critters from time to time, but we quite enjoyed watching the geckos while we showered :) Even in the rainy season, we had no issues with lack of hot water or electricity.

The Perks: 1) Unlimited water. Just refill your bottle in the lobby. 2) Mosquito coils, umbrellas, slippers provided. 3) Beach beds and hammocks, as well as 2 kyaks are available for use. 4) Impromptu jam sessions with the owner. If you didn't bring your guitar, he has an extra and he loves to sing and play. 5) The staff. I can't remember them all by name, but their kindness and generosity is unforgettable. Bella delivered our anniversary wine and was our go to for questions and suggestions. The beach side massages were a highlight of our trip, and of course we enjoyed talking with Charles.

I'm sure you've heard enough to go ahead and book. Don't let the bumpy dirt road on the way in scare you. It's totally worth the trek.

Room tip: We enjoyed beach view instead of beach side. It allows for a bit more privacy with only and obstructed view of the ocean.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brianne P
Reviewed August 30, 2015

Here are the pros: isolated location helps you relax, the staff is super friendly, never ending coffee at breakfast, large rooms.

cons: because it is an eco resort it runs on solar power which means no a/c, which may not even bother you, but when I arrived I wasn't feeling well and the heat made me feel sort of worse. the solar power did weird things to my phone charger and it was difficult to have a fully charged phone. their menu is some what limited and b/c you're far away from everything you have to just be OK with it.

Overall this is a good place for people who don't need as many creature comforts as the next. The staff is really just great and so is the view. Go to relax!

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank NatalieDonna
Charles V, Manager at Bamboo Cottages & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2015

Chao NatalieDonna,

Thank you for sharing your experience on this forum. We’re happy to know you felt you were treated well and taken care of when with us, although 3/5 is not a score we’re happy to receive. :/

This is the 1st we’ve heard of an issue with the solar power affecting a phone charge. I’m sorry if it was an inconvenience to you and wish you would have mentioned this to our team to see if we could have found a solution for it.

We are very open about not having A/C here and do not try to hide that fact. If you would have informed us upon arrival that you were not feeling well, perhaps we could have found a remedy for that also… ice water and cold towel to help cool you down perhaps?

There are four other restaurants within a 10 minute walk of us, so you don’t need to be “OK” with our menu and are not forced to eat here always. Although it seems like we’re in the middle of nowhere, a short stroll down the beach gives you more options. Most of the comments on this forum mention the quality and good choices our menu has to offer. If you were dissatisfied with this, I must say again, I wish you would have talked with us when you were here. Our Chef Long goes above and beyond to cater to the individual if our menu does is not to someone’s preferences and my Front Office Manager, Ms. Ngan, approached you everyday when you came to dine for lunch.

We hope you’ll come back and see us on your next holiday to give us another chance at meeting your wants and needs. Thank you again for your review and feedback.

Warm Island Regards,
Charles and the Bamboo Family

Reviewed August 28, 2015

My husband and I spent a wonderful weekend beginning of July in this beautiful place far away from the tourist crowd. Getting there can be quite adventurous due to the road conditions but it was absolutely worth it. The staff was very kind and helpful and the food was tasty. For us it was the perfect place and being able to contribute to the development of eco-tourism in this part of the world with our stay on top was just great.

A special thank you to Charles and his team.

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2015

We spent a wonderfully relaxing 5 nights at the Bamboo Cottages resort. I have to say, the photos on the website really don't do justice to how idyllic the place actually is. The resort is located in a rural part of the island down a long dirt track which really added to the feeling of it being a retreat! It is comprised of several small cottage-like buildings dotted literally about 5-10 metres from the shore, we weren't expecting to be quite so close to the sea! It was so relaxing to just hear the waves crashing at night time. The 'lounge' area at the hotel was really cosy with sofas and armchairs and very welcoming and friendly staff to attend to your every need! The food at the restaurant is also incredible - we couldn't wait to eat there each day and never got bored of what was on offer! We really appreciated that all the staff took the time to chat to us and get to know who we were. Each of them was unfailingly smiley and lovely. Another bonus is that the resort also puts on several activities during the week which we signed up to such as the 'family dinner' - a chance for all guests staying at the resort to sit down and eat together and share their stories -, 'punch hour' - sipping a cocktail on the house watching the waves -, and even a Vietnamese language class where we got to learn a few of the basic words! So you can get as involved as you wish with the activities they put on if you are looking for something to break up the relaxing, eating and general lounging around! We spent a day also exploring the island being driven around by a taxi driver which the staff organised for us which was worth doing to get your bearings, but really I think the perk of staying at Bamboo Cottages is just to enjoy the beautiful rural setting of the place and to take the time out just to appreciate being in a place that forces you to relax. I would thoroughly recommend Bamboo Cottages to anyone looking for a peaceful retreat away from it all. I will certainly be booking to stay again if I find myself in Vietnam in the future! Thank you to everyone again for making our stay so wonderful.

Date of stay: August 2015