“What do you expect for 20$?”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Phu Quoc Island
Thousand Stars Resort
Ranked #85 of 107 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Yes, it's run down to the point that it's comical. And yes, it is very Vietnamese/Chinese in style. Still we had the best time there. The room - with it's faults - was o.k. The breakfast also o.k. The staff untrained and struggling with English. You had to be firm with them.

We spent a lot of time on our little verandah facing the sea and in the evening we enjoyed the good little beach restaurants. We lunched and sunbathed elsewhere, because the hotel does not really have a beach. But again, what do you get for that kind of money?

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank viking60
There are newer reviews for Thousand Stars Resort

Reviewed January 22, 2011

We agree with the German review saying that this hotel is "Blanke Horror"!

We wanted to go to Phu Quoc as part of our Vietnam trip, but had some trouble booking hotels over there since only a few of them offer booking online. We decided to use a travel agency, Kim's Travel in Ho Chi MIhn City, to book a hotel for us. If we had checked the reviews on Ngan Sao/Thousand Stars before we booked, we would definitely not stayed there....

The place is really bad: it's really filthy, there are dogs everywhere, the waiters hardly speek english, and the place is really not a beautiful spot.

We had a seaview bungalow, and the only thing nice about this was that the bungalow was close enough to the sea so we would wake up listenling to the waves hitting the shore. We would ALSO wake up (earlier than we wanted) by both dogs and people working at the "resort" screaming... We had to ask for extra toilet paper and hand soap since this was not in the room when we checked in. We tried to use the mosquito net (that was tucked in the closet) but we couldn't use is since it was broken. The breakfast was OK, but it's not a really nice place to enjoy food as the place is really bad maintained and really dirty. I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay there. The only reason to book a room over there is to have a place to stay the first night while looking for another place to stay. The people in the reception is also really cute people, although their surrondings in the lobby is really strange, models of dogs and furniture in ten different styles and color..

We were scheduled for 3 nights but left the morning after the 2nd. The fact that my fiancee stepped into dog pee in the reception kind of speeded up our departure....

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tunika
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This place is pretty weird!

We knew what we were letting ourselves in for but it was our only way onto the island with guaranteed bed to sleep in- our first days mission was to find alternative by going door to door- which the good news is we moved but only after enduring two nights in our dungeon!

We had room B, at $39/night Inc breakfast- very expensive for what we got! All the rooms have the added bonus of a padlock to lock your front door- classy- & safe Our room was dated, and very dark. The Walls were filthy and let's just say people had smeared the contents of their tissue on the walls. We slept in our clothes!

The bathroom was rank; no bath matts, chipped tiles etc (my partner went flying a cut his foot open). The bath itself was covered in grout ( I think/hope!) so just looked grubby. Everything about the room made us want to sleep on the beach!

The pool can only be described as a swamp- we avoided!

I can't not mention the weird animal statues all over this' resort'- our baby kept shouting 'monkey' 'goat' and learned 'cockerell!' when others asked where we were staying- even the locals gave us a sympathetic 'oh'!

The saving grace is it's location on long beach- well not the bit directly in front where there is a giant mermaid with huge breast and sideburns surrounded by litter...but to the left you can walk up to the beach club or to the right there is a nice family run bar/shop and more clean beach!

We only had breakfast here which was okay- we had to pay for our baby's, the staff were friendly enough and helpful when we needed anything- like towels!

Again- if booking here gets you on the island do it because you can't come all this way and not visit phu quoc- just try to leave the hotel as soon as you can!

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank Graciemai
Reviewed November 10, 2010

The travel agent booked us into this one, I looked for the hotel on tripadvisor but only had the vietnamese name, by the time I knew the English name and checked previous comments we were at the airport. The staff were friendly to us, picking us up from the airport and put us in a room oposite the beach (good location) but the room was very smelly and damp, there were cockroaches on the shower curtain and a lizard, the bathtub had come away from the wall and the whole place was like a disused amusement park (not in a good way), there was just one other couple there (most places were booked up) they were moving that night. We checked down the beach and stayed in some little bungalows (definitely better). We told them we were checking out and they didn't seem surprised. Previous comments correct (Dont stay here).

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Kay H
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I was waiting for Candid Camera or reality show cameras to jump out of the bushes at any minute. It was so bad I was sure it was a joke.In fact it was easy to meet people because we all talked about our problems and that produced laughs after complaining.
I saw people leave after one night that had paid a week in advance.The line trying to get out was as long as the line trying to get in.Unfortunately the Island was full or I would have moved myself .My room was filty and moldy and smelly.There was no towel/towels.It took me 8 hours to get a single towel.The was one very small waste basket in the bathroom.The TV got four fuzzy Vietnamese channels.The sheets felt very ichy and dirty.Wifi advertised is only in lobby,Diving lessons happened all day twice in the pool which dominates the space.Dogs everywhere including lobby/restaurant.The front yard/garden is a repair shop for buses and cars.There is a constant smell of gas and carbon monoxide.I spent my days and evenings on long beach at other establishments. I spent 4 nights in my room on top of my bed in my clothes.There was some kind of pump that cut on and off all night.It wa very noisy along with the dogs that bark all night.This place truly is awful.All the time I spent there,I was thinking of what could be done with this property.At every turn there is a mess or problem.It should be leveled and started again from the ground up.It is sad.If you don't stay there,you should go see it. It is so bad it is funny .It was much easier for me as I was single.I saw many unhappy people.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank acmejujubee
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Well, we did take this hotel just for the reason that some travel agencies in Internet claimed that this was the only one free at the area for the requested period. Unfortunately there were quite many places which did not have booking service in Internet so we should just have gone there.

The hotel made me cry and laugh at the same time. The pool, the rooms, everything you can name should be replaced. The hotel seems to be built after war and needs renovation asap. Overpriced rooms had only one good thing, You didn't want to stay there, so we used a lot of services of the nearest bungalow provider.

Location is quite good, it's very near to the main beach, but we preferred this beach to the main one. This was nicer and calm - very seldom you were disturbed by a seller.

My hint is, don't book a room here, go there only if the other hotels/bungalows visited are full.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank pqi_royal
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We found this "Resort" online and were deceived by fake pictures and claims on the website. It was by far the worst hotel we stayed in during our 3 and a half weeks in Vietnam. On check-in, the reception staff made you sign a document about the $42 USD you would pay for the room. That should have been a give away. The first room they tried to put us in was immediately next to a generator. It was loud, but also filthy and stinky, and the matresses were covered in plastic. After a few stunned minutes we went to the reception staff to ask for another room, as the generator would have kept us up all night. They moved us, very reluctantly, to another room closer to the ocean. It was just as filthy, but instead of matresses covered in plastic, this one had exposed electrical cables running around the bathtub! It was so filthy we weren't going to be bathing or showering in that room anyway, and it was too late in the evening for us to leave and try to find another hotel. It was obvious to us that the staff were insulting us in Vietnamese because we had the audacity to ask for a better room and complain about the state of the 'upgraded' room. It was also obvious that this was a song and dance they regularly played - we were aware of at least one couple that payed the money but didn't stay at the hotel, and another that also demanded an upgraded room (and ended up in the room next to us). Look, in summary - do not stay here. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family