“Cheap bungalow on beach - don't expect much”

Thai Tan Tien Resort
Ranked #79 of 184 Phu Quoc Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two nights in August for $15, private bungalow w/fan and bathroom with a beach view. We were the only people staying here since it was off season. The service was quite terrible though. Unlike their website states, wifi is unavailable unless you sit on the steps of the owners home. Also, our room was not cleaned daily like advertised. The restaurant was the cheapest we had seen on the island but they didn't even bother to turn the lights on the boardwalk on for us at night resulting in us carrying our flashlight in order to get dinner. They also overcharged for a moto rental (just rent one from the guy up the road). The place probably is quite nice in high season, but in low it just seems like you are bothering them.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Whitforbrains

Reviewed April 2, 2013

When we originally arrived we thought the place was good value for money. The bungalows were decent, although need a good scrub and the proximity to the beach is great.
The problem is the staff!!
Firstly it is run by a bunch of teenagers who cannot be bothered and have no customer service or any service skills at all. The orders are constantly mixed up and beware when you put food on your room they will not give you an itemized bill at the end, so you have no idea what you are paying for and I am pretty sure neither do they. The bar staff are a bunch of teenagers who are too busy chatting and hanging out then serving you and if they eventually do you feel like you disturbed them and you should be grateful they even came over.
The food is bad too. French fries tasted of fish and it seems the cooking oil was not changed in days, salads come unwashed..hygiene is clearly not their top priority.
The worst is yet to come. We rented one of their motorbikes and realised that there was no air in one of the tyres, so we kept on pumping it up but the tyre had a puncture, so we had to buy a new tyre.They rear brake was not working properly so we eventually had an accident.
I had to get stitches in my foot and am still unable to walk after 2 weeks. The hotel wanted to charge us for scratches on the bike!!! Not to mention that they did not once ask if we needed anything, considering that we were both injured. They simply did not care at all.
The receptionist is just lying in his hammock all day and can barely stand up for you, but sure they want your money! I asked for an extra pillow and that seemed like a big deal. As soon as we felt a little better we immediately moved out and left for a much greater cleaner and better place. NEVER AGAIN and I hope they shut down!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank katcheeky
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The accommodations on Phu Quoc are inflated. We stayed at another resort for 2 nights before spending 5 nights at Thai Tan Tien that was $70 a night for the same style of bungalow, same amenities as Thai Tan Tien.

This place is in the jungle, so there will be critters in your room. We had a frog, many geckos, and some super huge spiders that came out at night. If you're honest with yourself about where you are (the jungle) and that you're in a thatched roof bungalow, and you do up your bug net at night, you'll be just fine.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was cleaned daily (new towels daily). They have a laundry service.

We stayed 5 nights and did not encounter bed bugs. The location is next to a marsh, so be sure to cover yourself in mosquito repellent each night if you intend to spend time outdoors. The store across the highway from the entrance to this place sells mosquito coils.

Overall good value for money, clean, with some critters to contend with.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Plannerific
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I am just back from a week staying in this resort and although I can say I had a great days in the island I came back home with my legs full of bed bugs bites. The beds looked clean to me and so the rooms but that seems its not enough to stop the little buggers. The neighbours I had on the next bungalow had all their backs& legs covered on bites too, so I should consider myself lucky that I had them only on my legs. I would tell the staff about it If I knew it before hand, but I just noticed the marks on my legs as soon as I left, and YES they are extremly itchy!
The place is OK and run by a family. Prices are reasonable ($15 per night) and the food on the bar is OK too, the beach is average but at least is not crowded but personally to me everything is been spoiled by the lack of hygiene onth rooms.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Thai Tan Tien was just lovely. We stayed there for eleven days. Friendly staff, good service, clean rooms, and bungalows close to the beautiful beach. A place we can recommend and a place we will return to. We just loved it!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2012

As this guest house is one of the furthest down long beach south from Duong Dong, it attracts the more quiet travellers and families with children. This was great for my friend and I, who are not interested in going out in the city at night. To get into town in a taxi will cost around $3 each way.
Our room was $28 per night. The rooms are rather basic. Ours had a fridge, hot water, mozzie nets and fans and was serviced every day so that our room was always spotless. I'm sure that there are options to pay more for air con and a TV but our room was perfectly adequate. We had a hammock and from our verandah you could see the beach.
The beach had a restaurant. After 5 days my friend was growing rather tiresome of the limited vegetarian options but I found the seafood BBQ to be fresh and affordable. It is a budget style restaurant and can be a little slow - if you are after fine dining I would eat elsewhere.
One con was that the internet was down for our final 2 days and the sounds from the Filipino band in the resort next door tended to drift over to our cabins at night.
One reviewer has stated they found the dogs terrifying but we didn't experience any problems. And yes, the rooms are quite open to insects visiting through the roof but if you sleep with the mozzie net you'll be just fine.
In all I was very happy with the quiet beach front. A great place to relax for a few days on a small budget!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Since we had a bad experience with a hotel Charm Resort where we spent two desperate night we went to look for other solutions (see the rewiewt on my part). We decided that we will not be on the main beach "Long Beach" but we went to the far end of the large masses of rocks. There is still a great beach but it is less populated. Friendly owners and cossy small restaurant on Beach. The bungalows are located 50 meters from the beach via a pontoon surrounded by lots of greenery and shade. For $ 35, we rented a bungalow with two beds and AC. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Bungalows clean and orderly. Cleaned every day. Linens and towels, if necessary, change or request. Food in restaurant was excellent especially the spring rolls and all kinds of noodles. Breakfasts are good.Prices are appropriate and not necessary to go somewhere else. Only for dinner, we prefer to drive the nearby night market place where is the fish market with a barbecue. 5 minutes with motorbike.Rent a motorbike is possible in the resort and costs approx. $ 7 per day.
If you do not want you people to step on the beach over the head and you do not like crowds then this is the perfect solution for the normal price

Room Tip: rooms nr. 17, 18, 19 with AC