“Disgusting!!”

Ranked #93 of 174 Phu Quoc Island B&B and Inns
cape town
“Disgusting!!”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Couldnt agree more with previous poster visited 15 dec 2009 same garbage, glass etc, just some dying kittens added to the mini zoo(and we saw a great zoo in the mekong where animals were kept better than in some western zoos so there is no excuse). we were dropped here after our snorkeling trip for an hour, far better things to see.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank soulsmile

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wellington
Reviewed November 12, 2009

My Lan is 20ish kilometres from the Airport. It lies in a glorious crescent bay cut straight from a “wish you were here” postcard.
This is where the charm stops and the disappointment starts. Unfortunately it’s the usual story that people have fouled paradise; they’ve soiled the sand, stained the view, and subtracted the service.
The first thing you’ll notice is that the coastline is caked in crap. I have stayed in seaside bungalows across the Pacific and Asia, and you do expect a degree of tidal junk, but this coast is less beach and more dump. Now to be fair My Lan does clean up its own 50 metres of beach front, but this isn’t enough, it isn’t enough by a long way. When you come to a beach for a retreat, you want your eyes and feet to ramble along the sand free from neon light tubes, paint cans, broken Bicardi bottles, etc, etc, etc, etc.
We were also annoyed with My Lan’s “Mini Zoo”. The enclosure in the photo held monkeys, a big snake and some other animals that live well outside my taxonomic knowledge. I’m no animal psychologist but these little dudes seemed depressed and I’d wager $50 against $10 that the monkey was mentally disturbed. In the short time I was there I saw the staff kick at the Monkey’s caging, apparently, just to stir up the little man.
My Lan was also very short on service, My Lan doesn’t hold itself up to be six star service, but it does pretend to be a guest house. In my stretch their I felt less like a guest and more like hard work; the staff failed to greet us on arrival, turn on our bungalow’s electricity and do anything about a rat that was installed in our room. This was not for want of staff for My Lan appeared to have plenty, but they were all industriously applying themselves to team bonding exercises such as gambling and agitating the wretched primate.
My final dig would be the dogs. Now I’m a dog, not a cat, person, and I’m used to seeing stray lazy mutts on islands. However My Lan could well be mistaken for a highly successful canine breeding centre. These dogs were not threatening in anyway in fact the pups were adorable, but by night, all sleepless night, they scrapped, barked, and scampered around the 1 metre perimeter of our bungalow.
In sum, My Lan fills your eyes with pity and your feet with tetanus. If you want to enjoy your stay go anywhere else on the island. My personal recommendation (for the same price) would be Thai Tan Tien.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple