“Best room on our trip”

Ranked #93 of 174 Phu Quoc Island B&B and Inns
Helsingborg, Sweden
“Best room on our trip”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My Lan Guest House is not really a guest house anymore. It has appr. 15 one year old bungalow rooms which have the best standard we have seen in Vietnam! We do compare with budget hotels but anyhow surprisingly well equipped and big rooms. They are also more expensive than you expect so far away from the city. Still value for money.
Bai Sao beach is also the best beach on Phu Quoc compared with Long beach and Ong Lan beach. White sand as long as you can see and few people. There is only one small neighbore hotel and maybe another hotel far away. In daytime local people come in buses spending there time on the lovely beach. There is plenty of space also for them and the hotel outdoor restaurant seems to have capacity for them all. In the evening however the hotel personell seems tired after the busy afternoon and you dont get any service in the restaurant. Luckily the neigbore hotel restaurant is open and good.
The breakfast is simple but tasty. The hotel are also making money on the absense of taxis. “I´m sorry but we cant get a taxi for the moment. Our minibus can drive you to X for so and so much Dong.” This price is clearly more than a taxi would cost.
As long as you dont want to go to the city every evening but spend your time on the lovely beach or in your well-equipped rooms and as long as you dont get bored with the neigbore restarant this is a very good choise.

Room Tip: Choose with or withou A/C. After that choose most expesive for first row and less expensive for seco...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank overum

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed March 21, 2012

we stayed in my lan for 4 nights. with a cab, you need 30-40 min to bai sao (11$). we've read all the bad reviews, so we've expected the worst. but it was not bad. we stayed in a big new bungalow at the beachfront. the room was clean. the linen smelled used, but we asked for new ones and it was no problem. the staff don't change your towels on their own, but if you ask them it's no problem.
the beach ist outstanding!!! i saw many beaches, but this one is one of the top 5. the sand ist whiter than white, and the water is totally clear. absolutely perfect for relaxing and a beach walk. the only thing which made our heart bleeding was the trash behind the beach. but after a while, you have to "accept" that it's normal here.
ther are two more resorts at bai sao: becko's and long beach resort. we've just passed the long beach resort, and it looked not very welcoming. quiet big and impersonal. two times we had dinner at becko's. the staff was friendly, the food was fresh and good. the resort looked also very nice.
breakfast at my lan is simple but good. lot of fruits and the delicious vietnamese coffee (we got addicted). we are vegetarians, so we had no lunch or dinner at my lan. a lot of fish and sea fruits. but what we saw looked and smelled very good.
what else? there's free wifi at the rooms. it works good till midnight. i think then the cut it off. if you need something from the staff, they call immediately somebody who speak english :) and they answer you every question. you have to get used to the staff, because it seems like they're ignoring you, if you order a beer for example. but we've always got what we want :) hope i could help you in your decision.
if you want by far the best beach in phu quoc - stay there! i would do it again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank monamuya
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in February 2012. $40 a night for a beach front room (20 meters from the shore). A/C and satellite TV.

Pros:
- Beach front accommodation
- hammocks
- nicest beach we visited on the island
- free wifi in rooms

Cons:
- worst service EVER! Staff were incredibly uninterested. Ridiculous.
- food was average. Wanted a juice at 7pm but the bar staff has gone home already so only beer or coke was available.
- the restaurant is filthy. Dirty crockery is stacked up in plain view in the morning from the night before. Dogs and flies hanging around it.
- VERY limited English. Basic communication was difficult.
- small portion of beach directly in front of My LAN was kept relatively tidy but the rest of the beach was filthy. Majority of phu quoc was the same. Disappointing as this could of been paradise.
- Do not disturb sign was ignored and our room was made up - our belongings moved in the process.
- A/C was leaking ++++ - informed staff but they could not understand due to poor English.
- shower didnt drain properly - bathroom flooded.
- 40 minutes on a dirt road to town ($10 a day to hire a scooter. Dangerous roads for inexperienced riders) or $20 for a taxi.
- large groups of tours come to My Lan approx every second day. 100-150 people. The beach is packed!
- lots dog getting about - all with fleas. Didn't bother me cause I like dogs but could be an issue for others.
- I know I already said it but the service was so so so bad.

Wouldn't recommend or return.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Naomiemily

Travelers are raving about these Phu Quoc Island hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I booked late for a new year's vacation...all the big resorts were full. I was a little nervous, especially driving over to that side of the island in very rural area. However, it was a nice surprise! The beach is beautiful, long, fine sand, shallow way out with just-right waves for our kids to play in. It is a quiet, laid back environment, very friendly staff (only a couple spoke English, but they were very helpful). The food was INCREDIBLE!!! Not overly cheap, but the tastes were out of this world. The rooms are new, large, very clean. No frills, but satellite TV and aircon were great. Village a few kilometers away interesting, cheap, good food. Recommend taking a boat out for snorkelling/swimming.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Christopher L
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We have just spent 6 nights at My Lan, we were really nervous before we arrived due to the comments on TripAdvisor (we only booked it as it was only there left or the super expensive resorts) but we were pleasantly surprised.

Our room was big, very clean & comfortable, not sure if they have built some new accommodation since some of the reviews on here? Some slight niggles (our shower didn’t drain for a few days / occasional power cuts) but nothing major & felt very safe there with our stuff there. However the staff were sort of odd, there seemed to be loads of people working but not really doing much, if you asked for anything / ordered anything it seemed to take about 8 people to do it in a bizarre long chain reaction which made the simplest thing take quite a while to get achieved. The staff were never rude to you, equally they were not the warmest – it did not ruin the holiday at all, but after 7 days it was starting to grain a little.

The beach there is beautiful, we did not find the beach near the hotel to have loads of rubbish (as others have stated) although if you take a walk to the south or north point of the beach you do find that, think that is just because it is a deserted beach & gets stuff washed up on the shore and is not in Asia culture to go & tidy it up.

There is not much to do other than relax on the beach at My Lan, there are about 4 places to eat in the day plus the lovely random drink / snack stall, but only 2 places seem open at night (my lan & the place just next door) and they seem to close at 9pm, so if you are looking for a place to party do not come here! We wanted a really relaxing holiday & really loved it here because it was so chilled. It is a little isolated from the rest of the island, about 40 minutes from town / airport (it is cheaper if you take the ‘Long Beach’ road to town) but you can hire scooters / taxi’s from the hotel & organise trips from there too, we did the snorkelling trip to the south islands one day which we really enjoyed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maow2012
Hoi An, Vietnam
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We' ve just spent 5 super relaxed days during xmas in My Lan and it was great!!!!
Booking rooms in Phu Quoc is a hard job,the only ones left are the very expensive ones and My Lan.So we booked a bungalow there for $60,expensive for backpackers like us but it was our xmas present.
The day before we arrived I read these reviews and I was horrified!
But when we arrived and we had an amazing super clean bungalow.The food may look pricey but you get massive portions!and it is really tasty.
The staff were lovely and helpful, I am vegetarian a for the xmas dinner they organised they prepared me a super tasty meal for half of the price.
There is rubbish on the beach but it's on the grassy areas not in the sand but the beach is soooo beautiful that it's worth to put of with.
In the beach there is also a small shop where you can buy drinks and snacks cheaper than in the my lan bar.
This place is very isolated and quiet but that's was where we were looking for and we loved it!!
So give this place a chance!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank TitaVer79
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We are the last two people to stay here before the much needed renovation.

We were kept awak all night by rats scurrying around and it stank of rat urine! Then we had to pay $15 for the privellidge.

If you are staying on Phu Quoc, get somewhere central and reasonably priced, rent a scooter an visit the sites on day trips.

• Stayed October 2011