“Jungle retreat”

Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort
Ranked #21 of 111 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights in mid July and loved every minute... we stayed in bungalow 15, which straddled a small stream and overlooked a field with a few chickens and cows roaming around. The bungalow itself looked like it had just been built and came with a day bed, hammock, outside bathroom and hand made furniture. The first few days we were there the weather was amazing so after a late breakfast we trekked down the sandy path to On Lang Beach (20 minutes), which was beautiful - deserted, fringed by sand dunes and sea pines, and great for splashing around in the very warm surf. In the evenings we were treated to a 5 coarse dinner (with wine and the occasional cocktail) cooked by our host Peter and his very able team of kitchen staff. The food was amazing, alternating between traditional Vietnamese and Phu Quoc specialities, and fusion. I would go as far as to say that it was some of the best food I have ever tasted. On the third day we rented a couple of scooters from a guy located just outside the resort, and rode around the north of the island. This is something I would highly recommend but make sure the bike you hire is working properly as some of the roads can be a little bumpy. For the last 4 days of our holiday it rained so all we did was get up late, watch movies in bed (iPad), play cards, read, chat with the other guests, and walk along the beach with the resort dogs, who like to follow you to the beach.

Overall a great place and somewhere we will definitely be visiting again. Living and working in Saigon, we need somewhere to escape to when city life gets too much. If you are looking for somewhere quiet to relax and unwind and aren't too worried about being right on the beach or near restaurants and shops then this is the place for you...

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Bramwax

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Suffice to say if you're staying on Phu Quoc you have to stay here for at least 2 nights.
So just to get this out of the way first.
The place is a bit out of the way, you'll need a bike or car to get around.
It's a 10 minute walk to the beach. the beach is deserted, forget bars and night life.
Yes you really do and should eat dinner there every night and no you're not really allowed guests.

BUT if you're prepared for that then you must stay here.
Peter and his wife are very accommodating and friendly. The dinners are just epic! Worth staying there for alone.
On top of that it's in beautiful surroundings, is close to a very quiet (practically deserted) beach and Peter does organize some great trips if enough people are up for it.
We stayed just 3 nights and I was so sad to leave. We will definitely be back without a doubt.
Did I mention dinner? I'll mention it again. EPIC! plus the cocktails were also fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chris H
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at Freedomland for some days in March and it was absolutely amazing!!! The Food was unbelievably good, Peter and all helping hands in the kitchen always did a great job, it was so delicious. Our bungalow was perfect, lots of space, our own patio and hammock. You could start your day with a breakfast in the beautiful common area, take a short walk to the beach or do a motorbike trip across the island. In the evening you could have a drink first and then dine with all the other guests. We met so many super nice people, it was always great to get to know different people in the evenings. Another highlight was the snorkeling trip. Everyone was so nice, of course Peter and Rita, but also all the people working at Freedomland. A perfect place to relax and to explore this beautiful island offside the main-stream-tourism at Long Beach. It is a piece of paradise, we will definetly return as soon as possible.

Anna & Marcel

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IPWS
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was my second consecutive year spending the Easter holiday at Freedomland. It is just the easiest most relaxing way to while away a week or so of your life. If you just need to chill out and get away from it all, it is the perfect place to do it.

For me this was a studying holiday so (unlike last year) I flew straight to Freedomland, connecting at HCM. I spent a couple of weeks chilling in the lovely new lounge area, my terrace on the treehouse, snorkelling, showering in the coconut shower and then going for the wonderful communal dinner. Even after 2 weeks I looked forward to every delicious course and Peter was amazing at ensuring he didn't repeat dishes so I pretty much had a different meal every night (apart from the wasabi tuna sashimi which I would have eaten every night if I could....).

My other half joined me after a few days and was also blown away by the food. He asked me on our first night if I thought Peter might cater our wedding for us... by the time we left he seemed to have planned on flying our entire families out to Phu Quoc (because you apparently can't get married without said sashimi tuna and the spicy pesto spaghetti with prawns in their natural surroundings...)!

Freedomland has a great massage option available now too. You can also walk over to Mango Bay resort (posher, more corporate) for things like facials and manicures which are lovely and great value.

Airport connection tips - We both flew with Vietnam airlines to HCM and then connected to Phu Quoc. We booked last minute and didn't have time to sort visas out so we did them at the airport by buying the approval letter (widely available online), 2 passport photos and some US$$. When I arrived there was a huge queue and the whole thing took about 1.5hrs (tricky if you have a tight connection), it was much quicker for my other half. If flying with Vietnam and if you have a tight connection bear in mind that you exit the bus from the plane on the same side you enter, you go straight up the escalator go straight and then see signs to "landing visa" which you follow. Get in the queue (before the whole plane-load of people you flew with) and tell the guy that walks up and down the queue if you have a tight connection. After that you get your luggage (which will be piled out neatly somewhere downstairs by now) and then leave the airport and turn right.... walk down a covered walkway until you get to "domestic airport" (a completely separate building) to connect to your flight to Phu Quoc. No ATMs were working there when I left but there are plenty on Phu Quoc and you can ask your driver to stop at one on the way to Freedomland.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Holiday_Claire
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Love love LOVE this place. I second what everyone else says about the amazing food and location. Here is a list of things you might want to bring with you if you stay here:
1. Toiletries. No shampoo, soap, etc supplied, so bring your own.
2. Bug spray. Although it wasn't bad, there are mosquitoes around, especially at night by the bar.
3. Mosquito coils. If you are planning on hanging out in your hammock on your porch at night, which you should, these will keep the bugs off.
4. Heavy duty sunscreen. I don't burn easily and used 40 SPF while at the beach, but still got absolutely crisped. You might also want to bring a long-sleeved shirt if you plan on renting a motorbike.
5. Aloe vera gel. If you get burned like me...

Freedomland is a bit far from any shops, so it's good to bring everything you need with you. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jessica O
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at Freedomland for 8 nights up until May 3rd, 2013. When I was searching for a place to stay in Vietnam I wanted to keep things simple with a bungalow on or near the beach, a place to chill out and relax, clean and safe with great food. I didn't mind being out of town as long as there was easy access to transportation.

I came across Freedomland very early through Trip Advisor and although I searched many places all over Vietnam I kept coming back to Phu Quoc and Freedomland, so I went with gut instinct and booked it, The attraction was not only everything I asked for above, but also the communal dinners; that's right, as a lone traveller I wanted the opportunity to meet new people and this was one way of doing exactly that.

What Peter and Rita have created is outstanding and it is a truly unique experience. When you first enquire about a booking you will get an automated reply detailing the pro's and con's of Freedomland to insure you know what you're getting yourself into. I, like many guests I spoke to, really appreciated and liked the frankness of this email which only gave me more reason to finalize the booking.

As a solo traveller what I liked most about Freedomland was the communal dinners and meeting new people. After meeting everyone at the evening meal it meant that breakfast and lunch became somewhat communal too although there are plenty of spaces to have timeout if you wanted to.

I have travelled many parts of Asia and by far this has been the most enjoyable and relaxing holiday I have had in my life and it will be an experience that I will share for many years to come. All the good stuff you have read about Freedomland in these reviews is absolutely true. Don't hesitate, go ahead and book as Freedomland comes highly recommended, enjoy!

Thanks Peter and Rita for a great time!!

Room Tip: 1) Have a massage, they are the best I have had in Asia. 2) Free bicycles are available, use them...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank KPaama
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a wonderful 2 day break at Freedomland! The reviews are all correct, you should definitely go here!! We arrived on the Friday afternoon, were greeted at the airport and brought to the resort. After being given complementary cooling drinks, we were shown to our lovely bungalow. The two of us were given a double bed each, which was lovely, complete with mosquito net. The bungalows are simple and beautiful, with a nice bathroom and shower - again, the cold shower was nice and refreshing, not a problem at all. We joined the communal dinner and had some very delicous food! Despite cooking for around 30 people, the food was really delicious and great value. We chatted to some great people, as well. The next day, we spent the day at the beach, which is a short walk from the resort. A man on the beach gave us free sun loungers and a table, and came up to us at lunch asking what we would like to eat. He gave the orders to Freedomland and they drove them up to us - fantastic service! That evening was the last night open for this season, so we had a communcal BBQ on the beach - again delicious, and watched a beautiful sunset. The next day, I had a great massave ($18 for an hour, very good deal) and we relaxed in the communal areas. There are lots of different areas to relax in, so you can be as social as you like. Go here!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family