“Paradise on Phu Quoc Island!”

Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort
Ranked #19 of 99 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Bonn, Germany
“Paradise on Phu Quoc Island!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at Freedomland for some days in March and it was absolutely amazing!!! The Food was unbelievably good, Peter and all helping hands in the kitchen always did a great job, it was so delicious. Our bungalow was perfect, lots of space, our own patio and hammock. You could start your day with a breakfast in the beautiful common area, take a short walk to the beach or do a motorbike trip across the island. In the evening you could have a drink first and then dine with all the other guests. We met so many super nice people, it was always great to get to know different people in the evenings. Another highlight was the snorkeling trip. Everyone was so nice, of course Peter and Rita, but also all the people working at Freedomland. A perfect place to relax and to explore this beautiful island offside the main-stream-tourism at Long Beach. It is a piece of paradise, we will definetly return as soon as possible.

Anna & Marcel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IPWS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was my second consecutive year spending the Easter holiday at Freedomland. It is just the easiest most relaxing way to while away a week or so of your life. If you just need to chill out and get away from it all, it is the perfect place to do it.

For me this was a studying holiday so (unlike last year) I flew straight to Freedomland, connecting at HCM. I spent a couple of weeks chilling in the lovely new lounge area, my terrace on the treehouse, snorkelling, showering in the coconut shower and then going for the wonderful communal dinner. Even after 2 weeks I looked forward to every delicious course and Peter was amazing at ensuring he didn't repeat dishes so I pretty much had a different meal every night (apart from the wasabi tuna sashimi which I would have eaten every night if I could....).

My other half joined me after a few days and was also blown away by the food. He asked me on our first night if I thought Peter might cater our wedding for us... by the time we left he seemed to have planned on flying our entire families out to Phu Quoc (because you apparently can't get married without said sashimi tuna and the spicy pesto spaghetti with prawns in their natural surroundings...)!

Freedomland has a great massage option available now too. You can also walk over to Mango Bay resort (posher, more corporate) for things like facials and manicures which are lovely and great value.

Airport connection tips - We both flew with Vietnam airlines to HCM and then connected to Phu Quoc. We booked last minute and didn't have time to sort visas out so we did them at the airport by buying the approval letter (widely available online), 2 passport photos and some US$$. When I arrived there was a huge queue and the whole thing took about 1.5hrs (tricky if you have a tight connection), it was much quicker for my other half. If flying with Vietnam and if you have a tight connection bear in mind that you exit the bus from the plane on the same side you enter, you go straight up the escalator go straight and then see signs to "landing visa" which you follow. Get in the queue (before the whole plane-load of people you flew with) and tell the guy that walks up and down the queue if you have a tight connection. After that you get your luggage (which will be piled out neatly somewhere downstairs by now) and then leave the airport and turn right.... walk down a covered walkway until you get to "domestic airport" (a completely separate building) to connect to your flight to Phu Quoc. No ATMs were working there when I left but there are plenty on Phu Quoc and you can ask your driver to stop at one on the way to Freedomland.

5 Thank Holiday_Claire
Zama-shi, Kanagawa, Japan
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Love love LOVE this place. I second what everyone else says about the amazing food and location. Here is a list of things you might want to bring with you if you stay here:
1. Toiletries. No shampoo, soap, etc supplied, so bring your own.
2. Bug spray. Although it wasn't bad, there are mosquitoes around, especially at night by the bar.
3. Mosquito coils. If you are planning on hanging out in your hammock on your porch at night, which you should, these will keep the bugs off.
4. Heavy duty sunscreen. I don't burn easily and used 40 SPF while at the beach, but still got absolutely crisped. You might also want to bring a long-sleeved shirt if you plan on renting a motorbike.
5. Aloe vera gel. If you get burned like me...

Freedomland is a bit far from any shops, so it's good to bring everything you need with you. Enjoy!

6 Thank Jessica O
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at Freedomland for 8 nights up until May 3rd, 2013. When I was searching for a place to stay in Vietnam I wanted to keep things simple with a bungalow on or near the beach, a place to chill out and relax, clean and safe with great food. I didn't mind being out of town as long as there was easy access to transportation.

I came across Freedomland very early through Trip Advisor and although I searched many places all over Vietnam I kept coming back to Phu Quoc and Freedomland, so I went with gut instinct and booked it, The attraction was not only everything I asked for above, but also the communal dinners; that's right, as a lone traveller I wanted the opportunity to meet new people and this was one way of doing exactly that.

What Peter and Rita have created is outstanding and it is a truly unique experience. When you first enquire about a booking you will get an automated reply detailing the pro's and con's of Freedomland to insure you know what you're getting yourself into. I, like many guests I spoke to, really appreciated and liked the frankness of this email which only gave me more reason to finalize the booking.

As a solo traveller what I liked most about Freedomland was the communal dinners and meeting new people. After meeting everyone at the evening meal it meant that breakfast and lunch became somewhat communal too although there are plenty of spaces to have timeout if you wanted to.

I have travelled many parts of Asia and by far this has been the most enjoyable and relaxing holiday I have had in my life and it will be an experience that I will share for many years to come. All the good stuff you have read about Freedomland in these reviews is absolutely true. Don't hesitate, go ahead and book as Freedomland comes highly recommended, enjoy!

Thanks Peter and Rita for a great time!!

Room Tip: 1) Have a massage, they are the best I have had in Asia. 2) Free bicycles are available, use them...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank KPaama
Shirakawa, Japan
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We had a wonderful 2 day break at Freedomland! The reviews are all correct, you should definitely go here!! We arrived on the Friday afternoon, were greeted at the airport and brought to the resort. After being given complementary cooling drinks, we were shown to our lovely bungalow. The two of us were given a double bed each, which was lovely, complete with mosquito net. The bungalows are simple and beautiful, with a nice bathroom and shower - again, the cold shower was nice and refreshing, not a problem at all. We joined the communal dinner and had some very delicous food! Despite cooking for around 30 people, the food was really delicious and great value. We chatted to some great people, as well. The next day, we spent the day at the beach, which is a short walk from the resort. A man on the beach gave us free sun loungers and a table, and came up to us at lunch asking what we would like to eat. He gave the orders to Freedomland and they drove them up to us - fantastic service! That evening was the last night open for this season, so we had a communcal BBQ on the beach - again delicious, and watched a beautiful sunset. The next day, I had a great massave ($18 for an hour, very good deal) and we relaxed in the communal areas. There are lots of different areas to relax in, so you can be as social as you like. Go here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fatcat2027
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We initially booked just for two nights at Freedomland as were a little unsure about the communal dinners for too long at the end of our trip, but after one night we practically begged to be able to extend our stay (despite having already paid for somewhere on long beach)!

The food here really is absolutely incredible, I've never eaten so well before. It was delicious, perfectly cooked and an amazing selection every night. We had five courses per night and it was better than you'd expect from a top restaurant, we spent all day anticipating what we would be served. After night one our reservations about the communal dinners disappeared and we really enjoyed being able to have a quiet (amazing) cocktail at the bar alone, but also a lovely group of people to enjoy dinner with sat under twinkling fairy lights.

The bungalows were great (we had the coconut bungalow to begin with which was my favorite) - they don't have hot water or air con but the fans do the job and the cold shower was no problem at all for us.

We borrowed the free bikes and cycled to Long Beach and realised we weren't missing much there (lots of building work going on) and had made a good decision. The very quiet beach near Freedomland was only a short walk and was better. We also went on the organised boat trip from Freedomland which was fun too and motorbikes with drivers to take us around the island.

The hosts at Freedomland are lovely and make you feel very welcome. I cannot recommend this place enough. It was so relaxing and a place we'll never forget.

Thanks Peter and Rita!

Room Tip: The coconut bungalow was our favorite!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laura H
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Freedomland is obviously a labour of love for the owners, Peter and Rita. The location is fantastic, the people are warm and friendly while many reviewers here praise the food, and rightly so, because it far exceeded my expectations, being some of the best food I've ever had in Vietnam. The atmosphere was very communal but not forced, and I particularly like the choice of music! A day after arriving my girlfriend got sick and stayed in bed for a day (not due to the food at Freedomland I hasten to add) they brought simpler food to the bungalow and were attentive, which I really appreciated. Freedomland is also home to two very friendly dogs who, on our first day led us all the way to the beach then guarded our belongings while we were in the sea! The Phu Quoc dogs are free to roam as they please and appear to be some of the happiest dogs on the planet! While freedomland may lack some of the luxuries of a bigger resort, it's more than comfortable, has the best food on the island and an atmosphere bar none.

2 Thank Steve C