“As good as they say and maybe better” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort

Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort
Ranked #15 of 96 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Mobile, Alabama
“As good as they say and maybe better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I don't need to spend a bunch of time raving over the food but one can't stay here without mentioning it. Five star hotel quality five course dinner really does accurately describe what you get. The place is very accurately described and represented on the website. If you *need* hot water and airconditioning this isn't for you. If you love food and nature this is a must visit place.

I would like to second the sentiments of the previous poster that this is not a "dredlocked hippie commune" with some crazy mantra you have to "buy into" but more like a place where young professionals that love food and nature gather. There were scientists, engineers, a teacher and a restaurant manager among others when I stayed. Late 20's early 30's clean cut crowd.

I would also like to clarify some [unintentional?] dis-information below. The dinner was charged not at 400,000 VND but at 280,000 VND which as of today amounts to $13.44 USD and it includes one glass of wine. Additional wine or beer is about $1.50 USD or you can splurge on a bottle of local wine for $7.68. This is as of mid-October 2012. The dinner price may fluctuate slightly with exhcnage rate and as perhaps king prawn may cost a little more than filet mignon or vice versa depending on what Peter selects for the nightly menu. I believe the food is underpriced not overpriced. We are talking about a five course meal with healthy portions for $13.44. Can you eat cheaper elsewhere? Yes but even the same quantity let alone quality of food is not super easy to come by for much cheaper unless you're talking about street vendors.

We were two sharing one room and our two day stay worked out to about $39 per person, per day including lodging, three meals a day and all we desired to drink both alcoholic nad non-alcoholic. I would not dream of complaining about the prices even at double the cost. The last time I ate food like this I probably paid $20 or $30 per entree.

Keep up the good work Peter and Rita.

Room Tip: They're all good.
4 Thank TJLong1986

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Vietnamese first
Ostschweiz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

With 168/193 reviews with a 5/5 rating I guess I don’t have to repeat how fantastic this place but I will anyway. Freedomland is a pristine paradise in the middle of the Jungle on Phu Quoc Island. The location, décor and overall feel and ambience of the place is fantastic. Peter selects, prepares, cooks and presents dinners that are on par with what you would find in a better five star hotel. The menu selection is different every day and goes according to what peter finds in the local fish market among the day’s catches. The place is very accurately represented by Peter and Rita on their website. It’s true there is no AC and no hot water and that the location is somewhat remote. Peter and Rita are extremely up front about what Freedomland does not have as well as what it does have (although I think they are too modest about promoting the food and beverage service you will receive every night for dinner).
In fact, when I tried to make a reservation Rita insisted that I confirm that I had read the website in depth and decided that Freedomland was “still a place for me” because there is no AC or hot water as well as some other unique aspects of the place. I can totally understand why they would want me to confirm this after reading the absurdly inaccurate reviews of the ten lonely souls out of 193 that felt Freedomland deserved a rating of 3/5 or less.

On that note, as an extremely satisfied guest of Freedomland, I would like to rebut the wildly inaccurate and baseless allegations made by these ten reviewers.
“[after] Arriving by taxi, you will struggle with your luggage down a long narrow rocky path to the central area where the boss, Peter, will immediately confiscate your passport.”

Several employees of Freedomland struggled with our luggage down a short path which was clearly carefully paved with stone by one of the craftsmen that built the resort. Peter did not “confiscate our passports”, he followed the Vietnamese law in obtaining a copy of our passports and a signature on a registration form including our passport information.

“This is touted to contain wireless Internet but I was never able to get a connection. “

I am using their strong and reliable WiFi connection to write this review.

“Guests are not formally welcomed on arrival, so you will need to figure things out on your own. I set off down the narrow path to locate my bungalow and found it devoid of even token conveniences. “

We were warmly welcomed immediately upon arrival by both Peter and Rita and told that if we needed anything at all to let them know.
“I did not enjoy the dinner simply because of the quantity of smokers. This resulted in clouds of nicotine whifting around the table and spoiling the taste of the good food. The Co-manager, Rita, did not join us for dinner, possibly because of the smoke and stench of tobacco.”

We had a full dinner table and I did not see a single cigarette smoked at the table nor were any ash trays provided. I suspect Rita did not attend the dinner, like Peter, because she was slaving away in the kitchen somewhere so that this ungrateful tourist could be served a 5 star meal in the middle of nowhere.

[Random complaints about bugs, animals, “feet in the sand”, etc.]

This is a jungle location next to the beach, it has sand, bugs and critters – get over it or don’t come to Phu Quoc in general, even the upscale resorts with closed bungalows and AC cannot control the bugs 100%. Lizards and frogs are everywhere inside and outside – not just at Freedomland – but everywhere on the island. They are harmless and assist in bug control. If you ask me I want more geckos and frogs.
“There are few lights at night and returning to the cabin by navigating the narrow uneven rocky walkway is a challenge. Crossing the two tiny Chinese style bridges strung with uneven boards is a feat difficult even for the young. I was given a flashlight to find my way. “

Unless you are severely handicapped this should not be a problem. I’m traveling with my father and he has no trouble getting around although Peter took such care and concern that he moved my father and his significant other to a different bungalow without stars in the bathroom because he was concerned they might have trouble wiith that (perhaps at night?).
“I elected to leave after the first day because of my discomfort in the rather dark, barren bug-filled cabin. Sadly, the Homestay has an unusual policy of collecting in advance for the full stay, even when one is dissatisfied and checks out. Passports are held for ransom until the bill is paid in cash. I rented a motorbike the afternoon of my arrival believing that the overpriced rental was for the normal 24 hours. I was told the next morning that it only covered the few hours in the previous afternoon. These restrictive policies should be studied carefully, as they are not standard elsewhere.”

This is complete nonsense – I only had to pay a $50 deposit for two Bungalows and we’ve already spent more than that in F&B.
“The food is decent too with usually a tapas style menu, but for 400,000 [VND] you can eat in other areas just as well. “

No you cannot. You can certainly eat cheaper in Phu Quoc but not an equivalent quantity and quality of food. Our favorite super cheap beach bar restaurant with excellent food but no décor will run you about $10 (200,000 VND) for a square meal but the presentation and quantity of food is nowhere near the same. Peter’s food also has an edge in quality although I have found the Vietnamese to be some of the best cooks on planet earth. You tell me where else I can eat a 5 course meal that looks and tastes like it came from one of the best five star hotels in the world and eat it in the jungle wilderness with my “feet in the sand” (which I consider a plus not a minus) and I’ll be there next weekend. In the meantime, Freedomland is the best high end dining on this island hands down.

“If you stay here you WILL BE EXPECTED to eat with the guests and should you wish to go and have a quiet romantic night with your partner you can expect to feel uncomfortable at requesting to be absent from dinner that evening ”
Never got that feeling but then again why would you ever, EVER want to go somewhere else to eat when you are staying here? The wonderful F&B experience here is at least 50% of what makes this place so amazing. While we never tried to go out for dinner, we didn’t have any trouble getting to town before and after dinner and Peter helped arrange it for less than the normal meter rate on a public taxi.

“Hiring a bike is essential. However, hiring a bike from freedomland will cost you double of anywhere on the island (double of anywhere in Vietnam). When comparing the exchange it's not a lot of money, but 200,000 Vs 100,000 is a lot when added up daily. “

I found 150,000 to be the going rate for a nice newer bike with a slightly larger engine. If you don’t want to pay the $2.50 (50,000 VND) “location premium” that Peter and Rita obviously feel is fair, then go rent in town and stop complaining!
“The long, dirty, muddy road leading to the entrance was awful, especially after a couple of days of rain. The main gate is surrounded by rustic barbed wire, giving the impression of a small prison, there is a big notice telling you that visitors were not welcome at all !!”

I’m sure this whiner took the ride in someone else’s car so who cares about the dirt road? As for the “small prison” comment this may be one of the stupidest and most inaccurate things anyone has ever said. I will post photos and you can be the judge. I never saw the notice the claim is there – if it exists it must be in very small print.

“The walk to the beach is approx. 30 to 40 minutes”

No it’s not, this person obviously didn’t follow the map or instructions Peter and Rita provide upon arrival about the shortest route to the beach.

“We later learned that our friends, whom we had not see in years, had walked the path to Freedomland and asked if they could visit . Rita was called to the gate and was told under no circumstances were they allowed in. Our friends asked for a cold drink that they would gladly pay for, as it was very hot and a long way back to their resort and was given a firm NO! “
That seems hard to believe because Peter and Rita warmly and happily accepted a non-guest friend of ours for dinner. I can’t imagine anyone “turning people away at the gate” because Peter and Rita are always way too busy waiting on their guests hand and foot to be guarding “the gate” and angrily turning away potential customers.
“Weird, overpriced and unwelcoming if you don't conform. Freedomland is a nice enough place, great food but the ethos of the whole place is just bizarre. Unless you're 100% committed to hanging around with whoever happens to be there, you'll hate it.”
Nonsense, we did both hanging out here and going out and we didn’t feel pressured about anything. The place was not full of weird, ultra liberal, pot smoking, unshowered hippies but more like young professionals such as the two PhD scientists from Germany we were seated next to at dinner and thoroughly enjoyed talking to.

“The food is great but, oh, the endless conversation you have to endure about "travellers' tales" around the dinner table. The same stories you'll have heard over and over again from countless tourists who believe that they're Julia Roberts in Eat, Pray, Love. “
No our conversation had more to do with material sciences… we didn’t hear any stupid “traveler’s tales” that we had heard before. Everyone was politely, friendly and from different backgrounds but the vibe was decidedly more “young professional” than “dread-locked hippie”. My retired businessman father had no trouble fitting and enjoying himself and even after having visited many of the world’s best five star hotels he had no complaints about Freedomland.
“Everyone buys into the whole thing and if you criticise any element of the place, the vibe becomes unwelcoming “
There’s no “whole thing” to buy into, this isn’t a hippie commune or a religious cult, it’s just a cool, unique place to spend a couple days.
“As you enter Freedomland there's a forboding sign saying No Visitors. Now I didn't notice this and, having met some people out motorbiking, told them to come see it. When they arrived at the entrance, they were refused entry and the owners didn't even tell me they were there. I couldn't even go to the entrance to say hello cos I didn't know they were there. It's like "No consorting with outsiders"
Nonsense, as previously mentioned we had a dinner guest and he was warmly welcomed and he loved it!

“The hippyish peace-and-love ethic is totally contradictory to the money-grabbing mentality of the owners.”
What a completely baseless and groundless insult. This place is not a budget hotel aimed at being as cheap as possible but the prices are certainly fair considering the quality and uniqueness of the experience. The world needs more places like this not less. Anyone that trashed this place should be ashamed of themselves.
““Not much Freedom”
Is my favorite BS review where the reviewer proceeds to complain that water is priced $0.10 (2,000 VND) higher than the normal going rate so it’s a “ripoff”.

I don’t know what the two French and one Dutch lukewarm to negative reviews are on about but I bet it’s more of the same spoiled western traveler whining and complaining. I understand enough German to understand that that mediocre review was some more guests that clearly didn’t read any of the disclaimers about Freedomland.

Room Tip: The sunset Bungalow is nice for two couples traveling together.
6 Thank R993
Hamburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

After two crazy days in Saigon we came to Phu Quoc to relaxe and stayed at Freedomland - the best decision of our journey. The place is a little paradise, the hosts Peter and Rita create(d) a wonderful place. They are very helpful with everything, the location, atmosphere and the other people are fantastic. A special highlight is the food, you cannot describe how good it is, you just have to taste it.

2 Thank CEW83
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

First time trip advisor poster - but I had to share my amazing experience in Freedomland!

We stayed in Freedomland the first week of October for 4 nights - and I would strongly recommend anyone reading this review to go and experience it for yourself!

Firstly, Rita and Peter make you feel very welcome, and are the most accommodating hosts I've ever met - we were initially booked for 3 nights, but stayed 4, and Peter was happy to rearrange our flights to let us stay the extra night, which was appreciated!

The rooms/huts are beautifully made, spacious, very very clean, private and well ventilated - important in the October heat!! Our outdoor ensuite was simple and smart, and our outdoor rainshower was amazing :)

The food in Freedomland is INCREDIBLE - Peter is an excellent chef, we had 5 courses each night, and they were quick to top up our wine glasses too!! Peter's food is of the highest quality, beautifully presented and so so delicious - if you like your food, this is the place for you.

Peter was very helpful in recommending tours to go on and sights to see, and we have memories that we'll never forget as a result! He is honest and objective and wants you to see the best Phu Quoc has to offer.

We hope to see Freedomland again - it's a shame we could not stay longer!!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank EmerH85
Wenatchee, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Freedomland was by far the highlight of a wonderful trip to Vietnam. The atmosphere was laid back and relaxing yet Peter was always more than happy to help you get anywhere and do anything you wanted to on the island. There is simply no way to describe how amazing the food was and my husband and I each enjoyed every single meal and drink. But perhaps the best part was the way we got to meet and talk to other travelers from all over the world in a comfortable and welcoming environment, over a good drink or across the dinner table. I recommend this place 100%!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason H
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

This place is great! We stayed in the tree house room which was really cool. My wife seems to attract mosquitoes, so if you're like her... bring some of those coils that you burn through the night, there is a net over the bed but the coils helped. Apart from that one little thing, the stay there was AWESOME! The best part was the food! SO GOOD!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Honest-Adam
Zoetermeer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Friends of mine who went to Vietnam last year, told me about Freedomland. The most important thing about this place, according to them, was that the food was amazing. And they know I like my good food! So I decided to stay here for a few days, together with a girl I'd met at the beginning of my trip. I loved everything about Freedomland, and of course especially the 8 course dinners that where personally made by Peter and his staff. Each day I looked forward to the big spread of fusion style made food, that makes my mouth water even thinking about it right now! If only for he food you should visit Freedomland.

The whole atmosphere was relaxed and everybody who worked there where soooo friendly! Whatever I needed, I could ask them. Peter's ideas of wanting to bring people together where palpable, and my stay there felt almost commune-like (but not in a creepy way!). The dinners we had together and the drinks before and after that, where always fun. This place is for people who like to meet new people and socialize with them for a while. I remember Peter telling me he would like to see more people who travel alone, but I think the prices of the rooms are a bit to high for backpackers like me to stay there by yourself. The fact that the bar closes at 11pm struck me as kind of strange the first night. Coming from HCMC and having lively bars open 24/7. But pretty soon I noticed that it brought me a bit of the peace I didn't even know I needed...

My stay at Freedomland was amazing, and despite my musquito bites I wouldn't have wanted to have missed this for the world. So a very late, but very big thanks to Peter and the rest of the people at Freedomland!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo