“Highlight of My Trip”

Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort
Ranked #21 of 111 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Freedomland was by far the highlight of a wonderful trip to Vietnam. The atmosphere was laid back and relaxing yet Peter was always more than happy to help you get anywhere and do anything you wanted to on the island. There is simply no way to describe how amazing the food was and my husband and I each enjoyed every single meal and drink. But perhaps the best part was the way we got to meet and talk to other travelers from all over the world in a comfortable and welcoming environment, over a good drink or across the dinner table. I recommend this place 100%!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jason H

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This place is great! We stayed in the tree house room which was really cool. My wife seems to attract mosquitoes, so if you're like her... bring some of those coils that you burn through the night, there is a net over the bed but the coils helped. Apart from that one little thing, the stay there was AWESOME! The best part was the food! SO GOOD!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Honest-Adam
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Friends of mine who went to Vietnam last year, told me about Freedomland. The most important thing about this place, according to them, was that the food was amazing. And they know I like my good food! So I decided to stay here for a few days, together with a girl I'd met at the beginning of my trip. I loved everything about Freedomland, and of course especially the 8 course dinners that where personally made by Peter and his staff. Each day I looked forward to the big spread of fusion style made food, that makes my mouth water even thinking about it right now! If only for he food you should visit Freedomland.

The whole atmosphere was relaxed and everybody who worked there where soooo friendly! Whatever I needed, I could ask them. Peter's ideas of wanting to bring people together where palpable, and my stay there felt almost commune-like (but not in a creepy way!). The dinners we had together and the drinks before and after that, where always fun. This place is for people who like to meet new people and socialize with them for a while. I remember Peter telling me he would like to see more people who travel alone, but I think the prices of the rooms are a bit to high for backpackers like me to stay there by yourself. The fact that the bar closes at 11pm struck me as kind of strange the first night. Coming from HCMC and having lively bars open 24/7. But pretty soon I noticed that it brought me a bit of the peace I didn't even know I needed...

My stay at Freedomland was amazing, and despite my musquito bites I wouldn't have wanted to have missed this for the world. So a very late, but very big thanks to Peter and the rest of the people at Freedomland!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Suneto82
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We spent 5 days at Freedomland in May 2012. This is a cozy place "in the woods" with friendly staff and a very down to earth atmosphere. It is a short walk or bike ride to one of the nearby beaches where it was quiet and totally relaxing at this time of the year. Our cabin was clean and comfortable. Anyway you do not spend much time in there. The highlight is the dinner every night where you can meet people from all around the world and share stories and experiences. Peter is a phantastic chef who not only makes the best food you can dream of but also is able to celebrate the 4 or 5 courses in an uniquely passionate and personal style. All guests (fortunately not too many) sit on one table under the trees and just enjoy. We have not seen any skipping the dinner festival !!! Thank you Rita and Peter for wonderful days. We cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank WernerGro
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The first thing that needs to be mentioned about Freedomland, is that Peter is a beast in the kitchen. A beautiful, fearless, inspiring culinary beast. We stayed for three nights, and every night the meal (between 4 and 6 courses) was exceptional. The food makes it worth the stay alone. Just don't come if you like bland food, because your mouth is about to get rocked all over the globe, in every flavorful which way. Of the 15 or so plates served to me, every one was returned spotless as I wondrously cleaned every morsel from them. If you're a foodie, don't even think about going anywhere else. Just stay here, and thank Peter later.

As for the service, Peter and Rita leave nothing to be desired. The location of Freedomland is a bit away from other things on the island, but this really gives you a private feeling to enjoy dinner in the jungle with new friends. While I can't speak for other times, the other lodgers there during our stay presented great company, all just happy to be enjoying great food on a tropical beach with nothing to worry about. I have the feeling this is generally the crowd Freedomland attracts. The location of Freedomland isn't isolating either, as they rent motorbikes out for about 10 USD/day, which allow you to go ANYWHERE on the island. Peter is happy to dole out advice on where to go tailoring his recommendations to your specific desires, and Rita is more than accommodating in taking care of everything at the lodge itself. As for anything else you could possibly want to do (snorkeling, spa, scuba, fishing, beaching, etc.) Peter is a great coordinator and can make any and all of it happen. It's true there's no AC in the rooms, but with open windows and fans blasting, we were alright sleeping full of amazing food.

Also, a cozy communal area lines the middle of the lodge, that has consistent wifi allowing you to take care of any real world concerns while stuck in dreamy Phu Quoc.

As a final note, this was one of two places in all of Vietnam I dined at that had REAL BACON. So, make sure to dank down on some of that for breakfast, which is also quite good.

Room Tip: We were in Tangerine, which people say is one of the best.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank sheloj
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed for a few days in April and really wished we had stayed longer. All the reviews about this place are spot on and we loved every minute we were there. The food is amazing, the beaches awesome - our favourite was the little beach just in front of Bo Resort an easy 15 minute walk through some lovely countryside and little homesteads. Peter is an amazing host and chef and nothing seems too much trouble for him. We had fun every night eating our meals which started about 7.00 pm and often went on till nearly 10.00 pm. If you like nature, company and wild beauty this place is for you. Hope to return next year.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank smudge54England
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We loved our stay at Freedomland in every way. All the positive reviews are dead on. Peter and Rita make you feel like you are guests in their home. The food is beyond description - by far the best we had in our 4 weeks in Vietnam. Peter is an incredible chef. Eating at a communal table made every dinner an adventurte. We met new people every night and enjoyed the company of others for all 3 nights.
Rita kindly arranged for a taxi to meet us at the boat dock. It is about an hour from the boat docks, less from the airport.
I was a little worried about no hot water and no AC but there was no problem. April is the hottest month and even the sea was too warm to cool off so a cold shower was most welcome. In fact I think I had about 5 every day. The bungalows were perfect - like luxury camping in the jungle. We were surrounded by fruit trees, crickets and interesting birds.
Each day we used the complimentary bikes and cycled various parts of the island. The beaches are an easy walk from Freedomland. The closest beach is huge and was deserted each time we used it. Peter and Rita have their daily swim there. The other beach is a 20 minute walk away and is in front of a resort that seems to be happy to let you use their lounges.
If you are looking for a unique experience, wonderful food, lovely people (Peter, Rita and guests) and a very laid back get-away, this is the place for you. Thank you Peter and Rita for your superb retreat.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple