“Heavenly, well worth it!”

Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
Ranked #5 of 103 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Newcastle, Australia
“Heavenly, well worth it!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous villas, ocean views, fantastic spa with all the treatments - no complaints here!
After working for 2 weeks in HCMC, we were ready for a well-earned break.
The shuttle service was waiting for us as soon as we landed at the airport with complimentary bottles of water. Once we arrived at the resort, there was nothing to do but relax and swim. Heavenly!
Happy hour cocktails watching the sunset were lovely, and the restaurant was great. Seafood bbq was excellent.
Spa treatments were good quality, a little expensive for Vietnam, but we really enjoyed the service.
The pool is wonderful, bar service by the pool was prompt. Lots of sunbeds and umbrellas.
Quiet, peaceful resort - if you're looking for a getaway, somewhere to unwind then this place is perfect.
Bear in mind that the prices are more expensive compared to others in Vietnam, but still good quality and value for money.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Justinethegoddess,

Thank you for your very positive review of our Resort and we are glad that you enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea.
We hope as well that we shall have an opportunity to welcome you for another occasion.
We’ll try then to satisfy you even more as this time we shall aim for the five dots scoring.
We particularly feel happy that our Restaurant and Spa Cenvaree were to your liking, as it is so important for us.

Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014

After traveling around Cambodia and Vietnam for two weeks, my husband and I were really looking forward to relaxing on the beach at the Chen Sea Resort for four nights. We had a nice time overall, but we wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

Beachfront Villa Room

We stayed in a Beachfront Villa, which had a lovely view over the water. The hotel left a lovely heart made of flowers on our bed for our anniversary, which was greatly appreciated. The room was quite spacious, with a king-size bed, closet with a safe, bathroom with two sinks, an outside shower, and a large patio with a soaking tub. The toiletries in the bathroom (shampoo, conditioner, and lotion) were great quality. The wi-fi connection in the room was strong as well.

The only issue we faced with regard to our room was that the door to the outdoor shower did not close properly, so it remained slightly open for the entirety of our visit. We noticed some type of animal droppings near the shower in the outside area, so we were a little concerned that a critter could enter the bathroom. The hotel is on the edge of a jungle, and we found a snake next to a sun chair by our villa that my husband was using one morning. To be fair, the staff took care of the snake immediately, and we were informed that a snake sighting was an incredibly rare occurrence. The staff also did not believe that the snake was poisonous because it was strangling a lizard when it was caught (instead of biting it). But from that point forward, we locked the door to the bathroom each night. And if we had to use the bathroom during the night, we would turn on the lights and quickly peruse the bathroom to see if any critters came in (no critters visited our bathroom during our trip). I think we were just incredibly unlucky with regard to the snake sighting, but this definitely put us on edge.

Each night, the hotel sprays bug spray around the beds, and also lights a candle to thwart insects in the room. We appreciated this and did not find the spray smell to be an issue. A gecko crept in to our room each night, but we appreciated his/her presence in the hopes that he/she would eat any remaining insects. We never found any insects in our room.

Beach Area and Hotel Grounds

The beach area was lovely, and we did not see a piece of trash in the water for our entire trip. I really enjoyed swimming laps in the pool each morning, and then finding a spot by the beach to enjoy the sun. Although it was always easy to find a chair by the pool, the chairs at the beach filled up pretty quickly in the morning. The staff brought complimentary cold water throughout the day, and it was easy to order food from the beach. Overall, the beach was nice, but it was not the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life. In my opinion, Phu Quoc is a lovely place to visit if you need a beach that's close to Vietnam, but I would not go out of my way to visit Phu Quoc for its beaches alone.

The hotel grounds are very well kept, and the staff was friendly overall. We really enjoyed chatting with Donald and Choun (I have likely misspelled his name, sorry) during our trip, and they made our stay special. We booked foot massages one evening, and they were the best foot massages we received during our trip.

The Restaurant

One of my biggest issues with our stay was the cost of the restaurant, which is a concern that is repeatedly made when reviewing Tripadvisor reviews for this hotel. Although the hotel has stressed in previous responses to Tripadvisor reviews that Chen Sea Resort is not a five-star luxury hotel, it is charging five-star prices when it comes to its restaurant. I expect to pay $16 for chicken fried rice at the Four Seasons, not at a four-star hotel in Phu Quoc. Additionally, the cooking class that the hotel offered cost more than $100 per person, which is astronomical when compared to other SE Asia cities. If the resort does not want to market itself as five-star or luxury, then it needs to have food and activity prices that reflect the "relaxed" feel that the resort is trying to display.

With regard to the quality of the restaurant, the free breakfast each morning was quite tasty. Each night, the hotel offers a themed buffet spread for dinner. Please remember that you can also order off the regular menu each evening instead of paying for the buffet.

Transfers and Check-Out

We booked pre-paid transfers through the hotel ($13.86 per person round trip, or $27.72 total for the two of us), which turned out to be somewhat of a mess. When we arrived from our flight, our transfer was waiting for us. We learned that three other people were booked on our transfer, which was fine. However, the airline lost their luggage, and the transfer company asked us to wait for them. So we waited in a parking lot for 35 minutes. We kept asking if the transfer company could take us to the hotel and have the remaining passengers take a cab, or put us in a cab and pay for it, but the driver kept asking us to wait. Our limited vacation time is important to us, and we were quite frustrated that we had to stand around instead of enjoying the sunset at the beach. If the situation was reversed, we certainly would not want another couple to wait for us if the airline lost our luggage.

With no sight of the remaining guests, the driver finally hailed a cab for us, told the cab driver where to go, and said that the hotel would cover the cost. When we arrived, we had to pay for the cab, which was $20 (i.e., approximately $6 more than what we already pre-paid for that portion of the transfer). Upon check-in, we were informed that the $20 cost would be credited to our bill, which is all we wanted. During our discussions with Choun, we informed him about the transfer issue at the airport, and he apologized and confirmed that the $20 credit would be applied.

The night before check-out, we were informed via a letter that our bags would be picked up at 6:15 a.m., even though our airport transfer departure time wasn't scheduled until 7 a.m. We woke up early, and our bags were never picked up. So we carried our bags to the front desk, and noticed on our bill that the hotel only credited us the cost of 50% of the transfer (i.e., $13.86), instead of the $20 that we had to pay. Yes, the $6 difference is not a big deal when it comes to the grand scheme of life, but it is a cost that the hotel promised to credit us, and it was $6 out of our pocket that we should not have had to pay. We tried explaining this to the front desk clerk, who refused to credit the money. She brought out another employee, who also refused to credit us the $6. Finally, they called the manager, who quickly removed the entire cost of the transfer (approximately $28) off our bill, and we went on our way.

We weren't asking for the entire transfer cost to be refunded, and this was an incredibly nice gesture by the manager. I just cannot understand why the front desk staff would not initially budge with regard to the $6 credit. Such a minimal amount of money, yet something that left a bad taste in our mouth with regard to our last impression of the hotel.

Despite the issues we faced, I think the Chen Sea Resort is a nice place to stay if you need a rest from your travels in Vietnam or Cambodia. It's not a place that I would go out of my way to see again though.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank B.G._Chicago
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear B.G._Chicago,

Thank you so much for your nice Review, and as one should expect from a Top Contributor, a very detailed Review.

In fact, though you assess us quite nicely, I am really sorry that there is so many issues that you didn’t like, that you said that you would not return to us.
That is going to make us feel so bad as our strength is the number of repeaters that we enjoy.

Obviously the environment was a downer for you and on this, honestly, we can’t do more than what we do to ensure that our Guests are safe and not too “bugged” if I may say. And so far on this account we are doing a pretty good job, as you say yourself. But yes we are in the forest, and this is the beauty of our environment. To reassure you, they have the same issue on Long beach, minus the trees, smile…..

Concerning the pricing of our Food and Beverage products, guests have expressed themselves in this Forum, and there is not so much to add but a few points:
- You must send me your restaurant bill as a fried Rice at the Chen Sea is 11$ (Tax and Service Charge included).
- 100$ per person for a cooking class that goes on for more than 5 hours and a trip to the market with our Chef is not an abuse.
- I have recently checked our rates compared to two real 5 stars hotels, one in Thailand and one in the Maldives. I both cases we are far below. In the past I have made the same comments with 5 Stars properties in Vietnam, and competitors in Phu Quoc.

I apologized fro the transfer and it is true that sometime Guests are slightly delayed because of Airport Services. Employees are not allowed to void Revenue, this explains that. On the other hand I am investigating as when Senior Management is giving the green light for a Void, based on good sense, we expect this to be well done. In our case it was not well done.
But somehow, you got the refund, otherwise I would have sent a reimbursement.

Then in Phu Quoc, no matter how we improve, and we still have room for this, little hicks up happened, and we are not capable to always avoid it.
This is where we have to make progress. Then we’ll get more 5 dots Reviews.

With kind regards, and renewed thanks.
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights and loved the resort. We had a sea view room and it was one of the nicest rooms we have stayed in - very spacious and lots of nice little touches, including great spa toiletries and a big terrace/balcony. Both the pool area and the beach are great for relaxing. The resort is about 15 mins in a taxi to town costing about £6 each way. The town itself has lots of places to eat and we went to itaca on two of the four nights as the food, cocktails and wine were really good.

The staff are all really friendly at the resort and the food was better than other resort style hotels we have stayed in, although more could probably be done to prevent flies (particularly at breakfast) and it is quite a bit more expensive than other places to eat in Vietnam for food of the same quality.

One thing to note is it is a very quiet resort and there is a bit of a tendency for staff to pack up the restaurant and bar area very early (and during advertised opening hours).

Overall we had a very enjoyable stay and would definitely return.

Stayed March 2014
9 Thank Andrew T
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Andrew T,

Thank you so much for your wonderful Review of our Chen Sea and it will be a pleasure to welcome you another time.
I would like to thank you as well, very seriously, on the little tip you gave me about the disrespect of our schedules in our outlets.
This is unacceptable and so much against our Standards and practice. I have already taken action on that.
I would like to apologize for this as this is not Chen Sea style.

When you will plan to return, please get in touch with me so I shall take care.
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Chen Sea Resort is a fantastic place to stay. It’s really beautiful and located on a flawlessly perfect stretch of coastline.

I ended up seeing one of the higher priced rooms, which was stunning – outdoor jacuzzi and a lovely room. Our actual room was different, but still superb, especially as it was right by the beach (about 20 paces). The veranda was lovely too, even if the outside bath didn't work so well as the plug was too loose to hold any water. It’s all very open, but you could draw the blinds to make it private.

The prices are higher than the rest of the country. It’s a bit of a shock to pay $35 for a meal when we had been paying closer to $5, but I guess this is part of being in a secluded resort.

The only disappointment was the food. The resort itself is absolutely breath-takingly stunning, but the food was only average. The breakfast buffet was fine, but the evening meal and lunch were just OK. In fact I did get ill from one of the lunches, which was not good. It's a pity as the rest of the country had such fantastic food everywhere.

Apart from that though, I massively enjoyed my time at the resort and it was a perfect place to unwind.

Room Tip: Ask for one as close to the beach as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Jesse1551,

First of all I would like to apologize on the food issue. I was not aware, even if I was not there the first half of the month.
Nobody is getting sick at the Chen Sea for at least more than 2 years since I arrived. So something went wrong and I would like to know what happened.

Concerning the price I had plenty of opportunities to talk on the subject, and I don’t do it anymore as many reviewers have talked as well about this.
Still, I travel myself in Vietnam and I had meals at 5 or 10$. But this is not comparable. We provide some Signature dishes that you cant even find elsewhere and all said that it is delicious. So something went wrong.

And as you said that despite this you massively enjoyed your stay with us, which is making me feel even more sorry and upset not to have been able to interfere.
Please accept my sincere apologies.
Kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Spent 5 days here after 12 days travelling around Vietnam. Met at the airport by 2 staff members then an interesting 20 minute drive to the resort. The island is obviously developing and areas you pass through are not very attractive but it all changes once you arrive at Chen Sea. The resort is very green with the villas set amongst lovely grounds. The sand is golden and the beach is clean and tidy. All the public areas are very pleasant and with lovely views over the sea and resort. We stayed in a beachside villa which we were very pleased with - it was a good size, always clean, fully equipped, very comfortable bed and a bathroom of an interesting design. The villa was literally 10m from the sand and we could walk off our balcony onto the grass then onto the sand.
Excellent food with huge breakfast buffet. For lunch and evening meal we ate off the a la carte menu and the food was of a consistently high standard. There is an evening buffet as well but it is relatively expensive and unnecessary as the a la carte was so good.
The staff were superb, very welcoming and always wanting help. Most of them have very limited English but they were always smiling. We would especially like to mention Be in the restaurant who was so helpful and happy.
3 minor negatives: There was no information on the plant or bird life in the resort. There were few trips to explore the rest of the island and a limited hotel shuttle to Duong Dong would be great. The evening buffet looked extremely wasteful as so few people ate it.
We had a glorious time there doing very little but swim and read and would recommend visiting, but go soon as tourism is going to develop very quickly and may change the nature of the island.

Dear j w,

Thank you so much for your wonderful Review, and the fact as well that you are a Top Contributor is quite pleasing for us.
Then when a review like yours is coming just after a lukewarm one, then we feel much better.

Even though you did not appreciate our Buffets for dinner, we still have to do it as we just have one restaurant and the idea is multiplify the offers to our Guests.
True, sometime very few Guests enjoy it, and sometime, out of nowhere, half our Guests decide to go for it. Somehow I would agree about our “A La Carte”, but again it is a question of perception. One Guest recently said that our “A La Carte” was too limited, and we have 80 different choices.

Yes indeed there is not so much to see on the Island, which is an encouragement to rest and “do nothing”. On the other hand, Guests going with our speedboat to the islets in the South playing Robinson Crusoe, alone on the beach, have a blast. This is probably the best discovery tour of our environment.
You are absolutely right on setting up signs on the plants of the Resort. Birds are very rare, and it is often a question asked to me. But we have identified half a dozen birds that is possible to see. We shall work on a presentation to our Guests. We thank you for this idea for our permanent improvement.

We would like to renew our thanks and please accept my kindest regards,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We led a gout of 18 to Chen Sea and everyone raved about the resort. It was a piece of paradise. With a maximum of 60 guests it is never crowded even at capacity. The resident manager (a Canadian) and his staff went out of his way to make us feel comfortable. The spa provided the best massages we had in Vietnam. The yellow sand beach led to the warm ocean and there were lots of activities for the guests. It was hard to run a program because the allure of the resort drew them away from nearby tours of faith sauce distillery, pepper plantation, pearl farm and a lunch in town. We had a fabulous stay with a great beach BBQ after a fabulous sunset and GM cocktail reception. I'd go back.

Room Tip: There are four rows of cabins on the campus with the 100 rooms being on the beach but nothing is far...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JonHall1952
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear JonHall1952,

I have so many reasons to thank you.

The first reason is that we satisfied a small Group of Guests that we treated as Individuals, so all had a blast. This is a great deal of satisfaction for us.
Though I was not there when you came, and I would have loved to meet you, I have this pride of knowing that Donald (the Canadian Resident Manager) took a great care of you.
This is great to know that our Guests are taken care of when I am away.
As you will come back, contact me or Donald and we’ll take care, and this time I shall be there.

Just a little precision; we have only 36 keys and 42 rooms, so this is why you had this sense of low density.
This is one of our trade mark even when full, the Guests don’t know it.
Just in case you lead a larger Group next time, smile….

Skegness
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Beautiful bungalows, spacious, lovely smellies, all had the most fantastic views, every detail was thought of all staff were always smiling always asking if everything ok, brought water and cold flannels on beach, would be lovely place for honeymoon.
Will definitely go back very chilling 3 nights so should have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Every room has verandaed with bath seating area can't go wrong
1 Thank Hazel B
Dear Hazel B,

What a nice short Review, thank you so much.

Yes a great place indeed for Honeymooners, I just answered one in French.
So right you are. But even without, you loved your experiencing of the Chen Sea.
And this is what counts and pleases us.

Now you suffered from the three nights only syndrom, smile….
You what is going to happen? Like other couples who felt this, you will return for a longer stay.
This time you will contact me and I shall take care of everything, smile…..