“A truly beautiful place”

Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
Ranked #5 of 118 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Chen Sea Resort is a fantastic place to stay. It’s really beautiful and located on a flawlessly perfect stretch of coastline.

I ended up seeing one of the higher priced rooms, which was stunning – outdoor jacuzzi and a lovely room. Our actual room was different, but still superb, especially as it was right by the beach (about 20 paces). The veranda was lovely too, even if the outside bath didn't work so well as the plug was too loose to hold any water. It’s all very open, but you could draw the blinds to make it private.

The prices are higher than the rest of the country. It’s a bit of a shock to pay $35 for a meal when we had been paying closer to $5, but I guess this is part of being in a secluded resort.

The only disappointment was the food. The resort itself is absolutely breath-takingly stunning, but the food was only average. The breakfast buffet was fine, but the evening meal and lunch were just OK. In fact I did get ill from one of the lunches, which was not good. It's a pity as the rest of the country had such fantastic food everywhere.

Apart from that though, I massively enjoyed my time at the resort and it was a perfect place to unwind.

Room Tip: Ask for one as close to the beach as possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Jesse1551,

First of all I would like to apologize on the food issue. I was not aware, even if I was not there the first half of the month.
Nobody is getting sick at the Chen Sea for at least more than 2 years since I arrived. So something went wrong and I would like to know what happened.

Concerning the price I had plenty of opportunities to talk on the subject, and I don’t do it anymore as many reviewers have talked as well about this.
Still, I travel myself in Vietnam and I had meals at 5 or 10$. But this is not comparable. We provide some Signature dishes that you cant even find elsewhere and all said that it is delicious. So something went wrong.

And as you said that despite this you massively enjoyed your stay with us, which is making me feel even more sorry and upset not to have been able to interfere.
Please accept my sincere apologies.
Kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Spent 5 days here after 12 days travelling around Vietnam. Met at the airport by 2 staff members then an interesting 20 minute drive to the resort. The island is obviously developing and areas you pass through are not very attractive but it all changes once you arrive at Chen Sea. The resort is very green with the villas set amongst lovely grounds. The sand is golden and the beach is clean and tidy. All the public areas are very pleasant and with lovely views over the sea and resort. We stayed in a beachside villa which we were very pleased with - it was a good size, always clean, fully equipped, very comfortable bed and a bathroom of an interesting design. The villa was literally 10m from the sand and we could walk off our balcony onto the grass then onto the sand.
Excellent food with huge breakfast buffet. For lunch and evening meal we ate off the a la carte menu and the food was of a consistently high standard. There is an evening buffet as well but it is relatively expensive and unnecessary as the a la carte was so good.
The staff were superb, very welcoming and always wanting help. Most of them have very limited English but they were always smiling. We would especially like to mention Be in the restaurant who was so helpful and happy.
3 minor negatives: There was no information on the plant or bird life in the resort. There were few trips to explore the rest of the island and a limited hotel shuttle to Duong Dong would be great. The evening buffet looked extremely wasteful as so few people ate it.
We had a glorious time there doing very little but swim and read and would recommend visiting, but go soon as tourism is going to develop very quickly and may change the nature of the island.

Dear j w,

Thank you so much for your wonderful Review, and the fact as well that you are a Top Contributor is quite pleasing for us.
Then when a review like yours is coming just after a lukewarm one, then we feel much better.

Even though you did not appreciate our Buffets for dinner, we still have to do it as we just have one restaurant and the idea is multiplify the offers to our Guests.
True, sometime very few Guests enjoy it, and sometime, out of nowhere, half our Guests decide to go for it. Somehow I would agree about our “A La Carte”, but again it is a question of perception. One Guest recently said that our “A La Carte” was too limited, and we have 80 different choices.

Yes indeed there is not so much to see on the Island, which is an encouragement to rest and “do nothing”. On the other hand, Guests going with our speedboat to the islets in the South playing Robinson Crusoe, alone on the beach, have a blast. This is probably the best discovery tour of our environment.
You are absolutely right on setting up signs on the plants of the Resort. Birds are very rare, and it is often a question asked to me. But we have identified half a dozen birds that is possible to see. We shall work on a presentation to our Guests. We thank you for this idea for our permanent improvement.

We would like to renew our thanks and please accept my kindest regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2014

We led a gout of 18 to Chen Sea and everyone raved about the resort. It was a piece of paradise. With a maximum of 60 guests it is never crowded even at capacity. The resident manager (a Canadian) and his staff went out of his way to make us feel comfortable. The spa provided the best massages we had in Vietnam. The yellow sand beach led to the warm ocean and there were lots of activities for the guests. It was hard to run a program because the allure of the resort drew them away from nearby tours of faith sauce distillery, pepper plantation, pearl farm and a lunch in town. We had a fabulous stay with a great beach BBQ after a fabulous sunset and GM cocktail reception. I'd go back.

Room Tip: There are four rows of cabins on the campus with the 100 rooms being on the beach but nothing is far...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JonHall1952
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear JonHall1952,

I have so many reasons to thank you.

The first reason is that we satisfied a small Group of Guests that we treated as Individuals, so all had a blast. This is a great deal of satisfaction for us.
Though I was not there when you came, and I would have loved to meet you, I have this pride of knowing that Donald (the Canadian Resident Manager) took a great care of you.
This is great to know that our Guests are taken care of when I am away.
As you will come back, contact me or Donald and we’ll take care, and this time I shall be there.

Just a little precision; we have only 36 keys and 42 rooms, so this is why you had this sense of low density.
This is one of our trade mark even when full, the Guests don’t know it.
Just in case you lead a larger Group next time, smile….

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Beautiful bungalows, spacious, lovely smellies, all had the most fantastic views, every detail was thought of all staff were always smiling always asking if everything ok, brought water and cold flannels on beach, would be lovely place for honeymoon.
Will definitely go back very chilling 3 nights so should have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Every room has verandaed with bath seating area can't go wrong
1  Thank Hazel B

Dear Hazel B,

What a nice short Review, thank you so much.

Yes a great place indeed for Honeymooners, I just answered one in French.
So right you are. But even without, you loved your experiencing of the Chen Sea.
And this is what counts and pleases us.

Now you suffered from the three nights only syndrom, smile….
You what is going to happen? Like other couples who felt this, you will return for a longer stay.
This time you will contact me and I shall take care of everything, smile…..

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed at the Chen Sea for 3 nights in February.

On first impressions the resort looks exceptional and is extremely welcoming. However unfortunately it does not take long to realise that you are in a remote location in a western resort and you could be anywhere in the world, far from Vietnam. Saying that, this is a great place for total relaxation.

Our Pool Villa was nice, however for the price it was not to the standard that one would expect. For example chipped pain, noisy air-conditioning, broken sunbeds and a resident lizard that everyday would leave mess on the bed or bath matt.

The major disappointment was the food, breakfast was nice and catered for every market. However the evening was such a let down. There is either a BBQ Buffet or you can order from the menu, if you want any food remotely Vietnamese then you need to do this, we tried this food on a number of occasions and it was the worst Vietnamese food we had in Vietnam, it had no flavour, freshness or Vietnamese qualities. The Head Chef did ask us one evening on our thoughts, he was shocked and iterated he was from Sri Lanka and has been to Saigon once so thought it was great. Admittedly he does know how to cook a good American Steak.

When on Phu Quoc we also stayed a night at La Verranda, This resort is in a more central location and has more character.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tim F
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Tim F,

Thank you for your Review. In our case I can only feel so sorry that you didn’t like the Chen Sea.
You were in a Pool Villa (Hoi An copy) and looking at a Jacuzzi in front of you (dismantled in Hoi An rebuilt on site here) so we are more Vietnamese than anybody else on the Island.
And if colonial style is for you more local, there is nothing I could say, though I know the charm of this colonial style even if built recently.

Your assessment of our food is very personal too. You see I cannot share with Chef Thao what you said. He is one of the best Vietnamese Chefs on the Island and would not understand your remarks. Now Chef Denzil coming as a trainer didn’t understand neither and I apologize if you felt him irritated.
He knows how to cook an American steak, though we import our Beef from Australia and Guests cook it themselves on our hot stones, you should have tried.

When Guests are in the wrong Resort as per their likes or dislikes, then many things are assessed very poorly and it is understandable.
You have two up market properties in Phu Quoc with a different identity, and both are good in their own way.
So we are not in a remote location, but an exclusive one. A Guest few weeks ago, a jogger, went to the harbor and back in 35 minutes.
I am not sure that we are a western resort, and it would be educational for me to know what is for you a non international resort in Vietnam.

When Guests do not like their experiencing of the Chen Sea we do not feel happy, but we understand that it happens to 2 or 3% of our clientele all year long.
Olivier, your Gm at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

No one realizes how beautiful Phu Quoc is. I didn't expect anything at all, so there was no disappointment whatsoever, for me its all about discovering the place. I've seen lots of photos about the island but to see is to believe.

When we arrived at the new airport. I'm so excited to see the place. We were welcomed by the Chen Sea airport rep, all was really awesome!

It took at least 20 mins drive from the airport to the resort. On our way to the Chen Sea Resort, It made me smile to see all these "once in a while views". You can see the life of the Vietnamese people down the road. Everything there.

When we arrived at the Resort. Olive, the GM and the Staff welcome us. The resort itself is beautiful, for me, probably the best in Phu Quoc. It is very family-friendly and heard from the GM that several guests returning with young children for a second or third time. I really love the place because its really welcoming. The view of the beach and the staff plus the room, awesomeness! in fact, all the rooms are ocean view and tonight, i'm gonna have that sunset photoshoot from the bar over looking the ocean.

What i love about our room is the Vietnamese touch, inspired from Phu Quoc culture combined with modern design like the jacuzzi outside our room. Really a total bliss!

I really enjoyed my breakfast this morning. (love their home made jams!) Having my coffee whilst viewing the sea. The foods and the food menu is well-balanced with something for everyone, both Asian and Western cuisine all cooked to a high standard. We had our dinner last night and i must say that, the bar-be-que was so good! Enjoyed so much!

Overall, the GM and that staff were the real asset to the resort; they were all charming, cheerful and polite throughout. You can see the General manager and assistant manager supervising and looking after the place, well. Overall, if you want to get away from a busy city life, i think Chen Sea, Phu Quoc is the place. You will really enjoy yourself!

Room Tip: Villas are really good as they are near the ocean. It's good for couple and family too.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MLORNA

Dear MLORNA,

I thank you so much, and to be honest I have three reasons to do so.

First we feel happy when our Guests enjoy their experiencing of the Chen Sea. This is our life; we all are here with a single aim, to please our Guests and give them a memorable experience.
Then it is always a pleasure to thank our Guests when they congratulate us on this Forum.
The third reason is related to the fact that we just received a review in which our Guests clearly disliked the Chen Sea and it does not make us feeling good.
Then reading with a great deal of attention the points of your Review I realize that what you say is 100% opposite to what the other Contributor said just after you.
So it means that when you get in the groove of the Chen Sea, appreciate this exclusive atmosphere, our Resort is a great place. But if you start to miss the noise and the crowd like at home, then we are not the right Resort.

With our renewed thanks and kindest regards,
Olivier, your Gm at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The way from the airport to the resort isn't a pleasure and when we finally arrived we were impressed to find such a pearl in the middle of a ecological dessert. A really nice facility situated at the beach.
The positive points:
In the first place the really service minded, friendly and helpful stuff
Spacious rooms with air condition, modern bathroom and veranda with wirlpool (sea view rooms)
Swimming pool with view on the ocean
Spa with excellent service
Restaurant with a flexible chief who even can prepare for special wishes

The negative points:
Very remote place which forces you to take a taxi each time you want to see or eat something different
No local attractions in the resort, no activities, very limited sporting options. No beach walks extending the 100 m of the resort as the neighbouring grounds are covered with waste!
Too much adapted to western European customers. The french GM likes to talk with french but not with anyone else. Why traveling so far to get french food, wine and atmosphere?
Too expensive for what is offered. Prices are at European level for all service activities at the resort - and the choices are very limited!

I was really struggling this time with my score - between excellent to unacceptable. The resort and the stuff is nice but is not delivering enough value for the price.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank GerhardCH
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear GerhardCH,

Thank you for your Review of our Resort on this Forum.
I apologize for the delay in answering but I was just waiting to see if as said to Donald you would withdraw your Review.
You were not sure about what to say, your wife didn’t like your Review, so I was just waiting for it.

Now after a month, I have to answer a bit to your lukewarn Review which in fact does not reflect your overall satisfaction of your experiencing of the Chen Sea.
- The remote location, already talked about it so many times. If you go to an under developped tropical island it is to enjoy its beauty and when one Resort offers exclusivity at a mere 8Kms from Town, there is nothing to add.
- We apologize on how the public beaches are dirty but we are not responsible. Your should start a blog and gather a momentum with OI, NGO and/or any world agency involved in protecting the environment.
- Too much adapted to European clientele; I don’t know what it means. If you talk about the fact that 95% of our clientele is Westerner in High Season vs 5% for the Domestic market, you are right. Maybe you should come during the Monsoon where we welcome 80% Domestic market and 20% only Westerner market. Not only us, all resorts in Phu Quoc have the same shift in the market. We do not have French food, not a single item on 80 “A La Carte”… French wines, yes with Australian, Italian, Chilean, Argentian, South African, New Zealand as well. It starts to sound more like something against the French, that only represent 10% of our Business.
- Pricing… this has been addressed by so many Reviewers that there is no need to add anything.

What is very sad is that the positive points that you mention should have made your review way more positive.
Something happened that spoilt your stay. Would that be me? I really don’t know and Donald was as baffled as I was.
With my sincere apologies,