“A truly perfect hotel”

Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
Ranked #5 of 103 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
“A truly perfect hotel”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We had high expectations of the Chen sea because the reviews are so good - in fact, I've never come across a hotel with such a high percentage of positive reviews on trip advisor!! We chose this hotel for 8 nights of our honeymoon and can honestly say it is perfect.

Pros:
- incredible rooms. We stayed in a jacuzzi villa, which was bigger and nicer than our flat in London. Totally private and beautiful interior. If you don't want to splash out on one of these, all the other rooms looked lovely and were right on the beach

- stunning beach and pool. Amazing infinity pool right on the white sand beach! Great selection of loungers, hammocks etc

- delicious food. Breakfast was so good, and all other food also of a v high standard. We loved the Vietnamese dishes, the Italian evening and pizzas by the pool!

- impeccable staff. Everyone was so friendly, and the pool staff were particularly attentive. It was great chatting to GM Olivier and his lovely wife. He obviously does an incredible job of managing the hotel.

- great activities. We decided to take a boat trip to the south of phu quoc, and honestly it was one of the best days of my life!! We went to these completely deserted BEAUTIFUL beaches and two members of staff served us drinks and canapés. In five years I have no doubt these beaches will all be developed, they are so beautiful!!

- excellent spa. It became a running joke with my husband and the staff how often I was visiting the spa! Yes, of course it more expensive than a standard beach-side place, but the therapists are all excellent and the surroundings and music etc are all lovely.

We stayed in 5 luxury hotels in Asia on our honeymoon, including some that are much more expensive, but this was certainly the best.

Phu Quoc is an incredible island - go there before it turns into Phuket!!

Activities we suggest outside the hotel:
- get a moped down to São beach: just stunning!
- pearl farm: I bought some very unusual earrings
- chill out in long beach, esp Rory's bar.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pammieonbiz
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear pammieonbiz, dear Both,

Beside the million thanks that we owe you, because not only your Review is close to “too much”, but because it was so enjoyable to take care of you and bring you the satisfactions that you expected for your Honeymoon, there are some major feelings that are grabbing my “me”, as a famous composer once wrote.

The first feeling is a little self centered one: I cannot hide the pleasure and pride that I have reading your review as it means that we are on the right path for the last two years. I knew that this unique property deserved a great software, that is how we call the service part of a Resort. So I indulged myself in some little personal satisfaction. Furthermore as it was your Honeymoon, we feel that we have a tiny part of it in your souvenir that you will remember on the years to come.

Your choice of selecting a Jacuzzi for your Honeymoon was the right one because of the level of privacy, intimacy and comfort that we provide and that Honeymooners deserve.

The second one is the tricky one. You talk about “A truly perfect hotel” and I have more pride reading this as a Host….. Then I checked where you did stay for your travel. Oh My God!!!! I believe that one has been voted the best Resort in the world not so long ago! So feeling close to those “institutions” is a privilege but a huge responsibility. And you said so yourself when you write “We had high expectations”. Now comes the time for us to sustain those expectations; we have created it, we have to live by it. Oh God I just think that I lost again my annual leave!!!!....

We thank you so much and I shall ensure that all Heads of Departments enjoy their share of the pleasure reading you. Trung, our Sports and Social Manager who took you to the South with our speedboat, is going to end the year on a High…. It is important as we are not luxury but caring for our Guests.

Renewing my most sincere thanks, please accept my kindest regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed their three nights in a normal villa. The resort is around 7km from Duong dong. The environment around the villa in the resort is amazing with a beautiful nature, a wonderful beach and a nice swimming pool where you can enjoy a nice sunset every day. You can also practice for free kayaking, snorkeling and some more activities.

The villas are quite big, well decorated with an outside shower and a beautiful terrace with a bath and a view on the sea.
The breakfast is also perfect with a huge choice of bakery, fruits, juices, waffles, jam,... We also ate in the restaurant: the food is really good and the price is correct when you realize that you are in high quality hotel and also the fact that you are on an island. For example the spring rolls are 100'000 dong whereas the pizza are 275'000 dong (pizzas are good but a bit overloaded with mozzarella).

The only problem is that the hotel is finally too expensive because we paid 350$ for a normal room (between Christmas and new year) where you can hear your neighbors as if they were in your own room. After traveling a lot in south east Asia I've stayed in more luxurious hotels for less.
This is nevertheless a very good place to stay (excepted if you have very noisy neighbors)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Dadalesuedois,

Thank you so much for your nice review and we are glad that you appreciated your experiencing of the Chen Sea.

I respect your comment on the pricing of your room during the Peak Season.
When it comes to the soundproofing, we promise that we shall do something about it during next low season.
We tried three different ways last Spring, but it was not satisfactory.
So we are going to permanently close the connection and add a new wall. This should work.

Your comment on the Pizza is perfectly correct, and I am already working on this detail, as an Italian specialist just said so to us two weeks ago.

Pasadena, California
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a great resort for those wanting to get away from it all. The staff is very accommodating and the view is beautiful. However, be warned that this is not a place to meet others and have a raucous party. This is a secluded place that is perfect for couples and where you can get away with not having to deal with a crowd. The villas are spaced out to give people plenty of privacy. Like most that commented on the prices, they were steep compared to the rest of the country, but right next door on the left of the resort beach area are 2 other beach side restaurants that served drinks and food. Like the rest of the island, the occasional trash would pop up in the water, but after having seen the rest of the island its no surprise. There are tons of trash on all the other beaches and Chen Sea does the best it can to clean up around their resort. They offer a kayak that you can use at any time and staff are quick to help you pull up a lounge chair if you would like to sit by the water. There was a tennis court, but there was construction going on when we there so we were not able to use it. The breakfast is good and has something for everyone. one thing to note was that it did rain on our last day there and the roof had small leaks that wasn't too problematic, but got annoying as there was a leak right over the bed so you would get the occasional drop or so right on your forehead, which was unexpected given the prices per nite.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SeefuL
Dear Linh L,

Thank you very much for your Review.
Despite the average scoring, you have noted some of our strong points.

Some little explanations are owed to you.
When it comes to the tennis court, as it is made in clay, we have to wait for the real end of the Monsoon to redo it.
Otherwise the work is useless, the next rain would ruin it.
For the little dropping from the roof, we really apologize. It is not that we didn’t repair all our roofs, as it is done now.
It is just that we have been delayed by a month because of the Monsoon.
You came at the end of October, and the work was completed at the end of November as we have been able to enjoy a dryer month.

And then you are so right…. We are away from the rest of the world… This is our trademark, this is our environment, this is our lifestyle.
Note that we are only 3 kms away from town by the shore, but our Owning Company has managed to develop a little harbor of peace in the forest not too far from chaos and far enough for peace.

With our renewed thanks and kind regards,
Paris, France
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I spent 5 nights at this resort with my girlfriend and some friends. I never use tripadvisor but i really felt that i had to let know people the reality of this hotel.

1) We were welcome by the general manager mr Petit who offered us a nice drink but after a few minutes this guy started making unapropriate jokes about past customers and finally left with a bottle of wine in the hand, laughing. We all though what a rude "manager"...

2) We arrived in our "villa" and discoverd that the reservation we made wasnt what we reserved. (bed missing etc)

3) After a quick look, we also discovered that the room were really dirty : sun cream on the mirror, sofa old and dirty, when the missing bed finally arrived the sheet was also dirty.
Overall the furnitures were really poor quality (worst than IKEA style. One of the manager told us they ll change it soon and apologized. Curious for a 450€/night villa). We found as well rust on the longchairs and the parasol, dirt on the walls etc etc...

4)We were there for chrismas. The staff was really pushy to sell us their chrismas dinner package (90€/meal). We decided to eat on the nice ponton at the beach, but as usual in this resort we were SO disapointed by the HORRIBLE and expensive meal. No one finished and we left really upset. I am French and I love food and I can tell you that mister Petit would NEVER eat the food served there.

5) The architecture of the hotel is poor and old. All the villas are ligned up without any charm or imagination. (no privacy).

6) During check out we realised that our bill was way too expensive for what we spent: they added on our bill bills of others clients.5 or 6 chrismas meal at 90€ each (This is probably the result of the 40 years of work in this industry of mister Petit).

This resort doesnt deserve 5 stars, it is way too expensive, no charm, quite dirty, very low quality food managed by a very proud and happy manager.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank FREDERIC1989
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear FREDERIC 1989,

First of all thank you for your Review as I believe that all Reviews must be properly acknowledged.
When a General Manager of a property receives a Review like yours he has different options:
- Ask Trip Advisor to withdraw the Review. The T&C that bind you for posting are enough to do so quickly.
- No answer on the ground that your attacks are so personal that it makes your review lacking credibility.
- Answer and highlight some false information that could be misleading to the participants of this Forum.

So I answer:
- So you are using for the first time Trip Advisor. Maybe it is the reason why it took you 12 months before doing it. You didn’t stay in January 2013 as stated, but you stayed from the 24th of December 2012 till the 28th of December 2012.
- I cant welcome any Guest with a bottle of wiine as I am known to only drink Beer. Wine is a treat that I only indulge myself in when my spouse, an Oenologist, brings me the kind of bottles I truly love. So walking around with a bottle of wine does not sound very serious. When it comes to “making unapropriate jokes about past customers” this is a massive misunderstanding of what I do. I use previous events, sometime funny, sometime less funny, that happened with Guests to raise awarenes to my present Guests to avoid major issues. This is mostly linked to the Phu Quoc factor and the lack of development.
- The bed missing in one of your Villas is linked to your system of reservation where you didn’t click on the option of an extra bed.
- “The room were”, so infact you say that the two rooms were dirty. This is hard to believe as per our repeated reputation (including in this Forum) about the cleanyless of the Resort. Now the furniture being worse than Ikea, I believe that my Owners are going to have a smile reading your Review. It does not make sense. One of your Villas, the Jacuzzi for example, is a genuine Hoi An Villa dismantled from Hoi An and rebuilt here. These villas, being close to a 100 years old, were built well before Ikea modern time. When it is coming to change the furniture, the comment can only come from me and not an apologetic Manager. We are just working with my Owners on re-arranging the ground floor of the Pool Villas. Once again there might be a little misunderstanding there.
- Xmas Gala Dinner; Staff are not pushy for one simple reason: it is not compulsory and we let the Guests to chose to participate or not. You decided to eat on the Jetty as we create this alternative for our Guests. The horrible dinner you had did cost you 240$, Tax and Service Charge included, for 6 persons. As your currencvy of reference is the Euro, this dinner cost you 30 Euros per person and very true, this is highly expensive… I am French too, I love good cuisine too, and I eat the “Food which is served there” twice a day for the past two years. As I just extended my contract, I am afraid that I am going to have to keep eating there….
- Then you make some comments on the architecture, which once again are going to make our Owners smiling, especially the “no privacy” remark. Both Pool Villas and Jacuzzi Villas are so private as you have no adjoining room.
- Your point number 6 is weird in the sense that your extra folio was 283,51$, for 6 persons during the 4 nights of stay.
- You are extremely right on your last point: we do not deserve 5 stars. There is a very good reason for it, we are not a 5 star, we do not claim to be one. Infact there is no 5 stars hotel in Phu Quoc, at international standards I mean.

To end up my answer, may I suggest that, to be more helpful for the readers of this Forum, as you posted your Review for this only purpose I believe, that you do it a bit closer to your period of stay.
Renewing my thanks to you,
Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The best resort in Phu Quoc by far!
It is approximately 10 kilometers away from the main village but that guarantees a peaceful and relaxing staying.
Bungalows and villas are marvellous, fantastic view!
The restaurant is awesome, very good dinners and lunches. Breakfast buffet menu changes everyday but it could be better for a 5 star resort.

Award of worning: Do not go to Phu Quoc during the rain season! After 2 days of pouring rain we cancelled our staying and flew away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear matterz06,

What else I could say but thank you when you express your opinion that we are the best resort in Phu Quoc.
And you feel that way even if you had a horrible weather. It is true that some years the Monsoon is real hard.
This year, and we do not know why, it has been particularly rough on us.

Still you managed to appreciate our facilities and services.
Just a little remark as, well anounced ahead, we have changed our Buffet Breakfast; both the lay out, with more space, better display, ice beds, and then we changed the menu as well.
So we give now more items, more variety and certain dishes that some Guests wanted.
The same way that our Guests wanted us to improve the coffee making facility in the room, so we did it too.
This is what is happening when our Guests share their feels, ideas, expectations. We write it down, and then we do it.
Somehow we could say that the Guests are the one helping me to bring the Chen Sea to the top.
But we are not a 5*, I keep repeating this as I know what a 5* is, and we are not one. But aiming at becoming the best Resort as possible, this would be us.

With my sincere renewed thanks and kind regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 16, 2013

In recent years, I had traveled to many resorts and hotels, but I'm too lazy to go to tripadvisor to write any review. Chen Sea is the first one that make me get rid of my laziness.

I just had two wonderful days at Chen Sea with my girlfriend.

Firstly, the airport transfer is timely and meet my expectation. The guy who picked me up at the airport was quite friendly. He introduced foods and places to go in Phu Quoc. He also let me borrow his motorbike to go around the area.

Secondly, the welcoming drink is wonderful, my girlfriend was obsessed with that drink and she ordered it each time she came to the bar.

Thirdly, the service and the employees are just so nice. I've never spent so much on gratitude money before.

Fourthly, you will actually "wow" when you see the beautiful scenes of this resort. The beach is so clean, the sea in this area is very clear bcuz the waves is weak in December. The most beautiful scene is when you seat at the pool and watch the sunset. Tremendous view!!

The room is very nice and clean, the bathroom decor is natural friendly. The shower gel, shampoo and conditioner all have lemongrass flavor, very relaxing.

The food in the bar and the restaurant are very good. This is the resort with the best breakfast buffet I've ever had. The price of food is not as high as people think. To me, it's reasonable and somehow I find these prices are cheaper compare to fine dining restaurants in Saigon and the quality of food is the same.

Room Tip: you should bring insect repellent spray when you go to the bar in the evening. If you're plannin...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KimTran2611,

I thank you so much for your wonderful review of our Chen Sea.
You surely enjoyed your experiencing of the Resort to its fullest over a relatively short stay.

It is true that we have a wonderful location and a unique scenery. Surrounded by hills of the National Park, the Chen Sea is like a nice jewel in a present box.
And it must be said as well that you came when all conditions are gathered to make it even more beautiful.

And yes, very true again, to enjoy the Happy Hour in the bean bags to face the sunset, Guests must bring their insect repellent spray.
No matter what we do to fight them, nothing will ever replace a repellent applied on the skin.

With our most sincere thanks and kindest regards,
Reviewed December 15, 2013

If you come to Phu Quoc Island to relax and enjoy some true vacation time while in Vietnam, Chen Sea Resort should be very high on your priority list when it comes to accommodation.

Here is why:

a. Location: The resort is located about half way between the northern and southern tips of the island. Should you decide to rent a scooter to go around the island (as activities are rather limited on the island), you will find this location very practical. Also, diving or snorkeling companies will pick you up right on the beach of the resort should you decide to enjoy a cruise north of the island. Finally, there is a small local firm renting scooters to tourists and their office is located about 400 meters just outside the hotel.

b. Amenities: this resort offers all the services you may expect from a 5-star hotel. From spa and massage to water equipment at the beach, you will enjoy the many services the resort offers. The pool area and deck are spectacular with an endless pool shooting in the ocean right in front of the resort. The restaurant and bar areas provide excellent cuisine and offer exceptional views at night when the lighting system turns the place in a spectacular sight. Wi-Fi also offers excellent service in all areas of the resort, you can carry your tablet anywhere and just connect to the world.

c. Rooms: spacious villas with large bathrooms (including partly external shower facilities) are very comfortable. We appreciated that the AC system was very efficient given the high humidity level on the island.

d. Service: … absolutely splendid! From the pool deck to the bar, the restaurant and reception, these people know how to pamper guests. We were very impressed by the level of care and attention demonstrated by the staff. 24 hours before check-out, we found out our flight with Vietnam Airlines to HCM had been cancelled and we did not know how if and how the airline company had rescheduled us. Guest relations took about 45 minutes to clear things up for us with Vietnam Airlines. While having breakfast in the restaurant, they brought us the new flight details and all confirmations required to proceed with the new flight arrangements the morning after… and with the most comforting smiles. That’s service!

Enjoy your stay at the Chen Sea resort. You will be happy you booked with them!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Piden123
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Piden123,

Thank you for your generous review.

I must make a little adjustment to your Review in the sense that we are not a 5* Resort.
We are just trying very hard to become a very good 4*. You see recently, a Guest, really upset against me, said that we were even not a decent 3*.
While another one in Trip Advisor said that we were not a 5* but a 6*…. This is like a bit too much.
The very fact that we pamper our Guests in an exclusive Resort does not make us a Luxury Property.
And on the other hand you can be real good as a resort without being a Luxury one and this is what we try every day to achieve.

Then I loved your special comment on “d. Service”. When we welcome our Guests, beside asking for the passports as per the by-law, we ask for the plane tickets of the return flight.
A Guest said once that our welcome was very bad because we were focusing on the check out!!! Nope…. We know that Airlines can be a little artistic around here and we know that the day before any given day of departure, the local office of the Airlines are aware of any eventual changes of the flights. By taking care of it ahead, we can solve potential problems. We are prudent for our Guests and we do our best to avoid any disconvenience.

Thank you for highlighting your appreciation on the subject.
With our renewed thanks and kindest regards,