“Couple Escape”

Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed November 8, 2013

if you're looking for a downtown place and local food, Chen Sea is definitely not a choice for you.
But you're looking for a couple or family escape, it's wonderful. Chen Sea has beautiful private beach and just few step from your room. I had a weird smell beef steak, I'm sure it's because of my taste or the dish, however, they still change the dish for me. They have beautiful home-made jam and yogurt. I really love it. Staff are very nice and helpful. I just personally don't like the thing that about 6.00pm, they get into your room, pour some essential oil for good smell which is ok and spray for anti-mosquito, I don't like anti-mosquito spray smell, and I think it's not good for my health too. Anw I did enjoy my stay in Chen Sea, but next time, I might book another nights in downtown resort to experience local life

Room Tip: For family: definitely family room, it has private swimming pool and huge living room For couple: j...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GiangNguyenYen
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear GiangNguyenYen,

Thank you so much for your lovely comment.
Just some little comments from me as usual… despite the fact that we have a substantial choice of Vietnamese food, we shall increase it in our new A La Carte.
Then anyone could ask Chef Thao to cook anything and he’ll do it.
The hick up on your dish remains a mystery. I was there, immediately sent the Executive Chef to your room, and we could not find what was the issue.

What is sure is that we are not downtown place, but we already know that many visitors on the Island rather have a short distance between their place of relaxation and the downtown buzz… After two years in Phu Quoc, I am still looking for the buzz, smile….

Our fight against the mosquitos is the least we can do for people who really fear this issue. So we spray, we fumigate, we set special candles, we plant lemon grass… In fact we do what ever we could to fight them, even if we are in a forest environment.

I sincerely hope that after your next trip and stay downtown you will come back to us, for an exclusive resort offering a unique peace and environment.
With kind regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2013

When making my booking two hotels were on my list, recommended by Tripadvisor. Choosing Chen Sea was an excellent decision.

The hotel is wonderful. The grounds are lush, green and well maintained. The rooms are large and stylistically both modern and sympathetic to local style, it's a really lovely balance.

The view from our beach-front room was simply stunning. It really was an amazing place to wake-up each day and a quick dip in the sea the perfect way to shake off any cobwebs.

The tree-fringed beach, whilst not huge is very pretty and the infinity pool in a raised position is impressive.

My wife tried the spa and was delighted with the treatments. She also enjoyed the daily Tai Chi class.

Olivier the GM is an old-school hotelier; professional, charming, caring with a fastidious attitude to customer service which is apparent throughout the hotel. It was a genuine pleasure to meet Olivier and to spend a couple of evenings chatting with him about his experiences in some of the world's more and less exotic locations. When my wife bent a hire-scooter from the adjacent rental shop (beware, it's illegal for foreigners to hire scooters in Vietnam), Olivier and his team swung into action to assist us and to minimise the impact on our wallets, within 15 minutes all was sorted, no fuss, no drama, a fair deal for all negotiated.

The restaurant is excellent with a superb standard of delicious food, both for the extensive breakfast buffet and for the a la carte dinner service. Denzil, the executive chef, even went to the extent of preparing a one-off vegetarian banquet for my wife and a special selection of dishes for me, which was really 'above and beyond' service.

As for the rest of the staff, they were great and you could see Olivier's eye for service and detail in everything they did. He really has done a great job at Chen Sea.

We loved both Phu Quoc and Chen Sea Resort. I would go back without hesitation. Wonderful!

Room Tip: Go for the beach front rooms rather than sea view. Sea view is actually one row back from the beach...

Dear MarkAnnaLondon, dear Both,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review, we appreciate so much, at a time that we discover that even visitors who are not our Guests manage to post a poor comment on our Resort…. I do not understand Trip Advisor some time.

We are so glad that you loved your experiencing of the Chen Sea.

Little piece of information… I did not forget the Yoga sessions. I could not in fact as one Guest just asked for it some days ago.
It is somehow funny as we never say that we have it, but it would seem that the demand is growing, smile…

And the last precision for all: driving a scooter is illegal only if you do not have a Vietnamese driving license, smile…

We hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you again.
With our most sincere thanks and our kindest regards,

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to the Chen Sea Resort during the second half of October for 3 nights. We were greeted by the GM Olivier who took us to the restaurant for the welcome drink. As soon as you arrive you know that you will have a great time. The resort is in a beautiful spot. We were however surprised to hear the sound of drills on the roof of the restaurant while enjoying our fresh fruits...
We then discovered that they were getting ready for the high season with renovations work...
To go onto a bit more details.
*The villa: We opted for the sea-view villa. We loved it! The bed was comfy, loads of storage space to put your bags away and feel home for a few days. Desk, terrace with comfy sofa and fresh fruits daily, amazing shower room (I want the same at home). I also want to mention that I LOVED the shower gel, shampoo and conditioner! I want the same at home! The only downside is that you have a very thin connecting doors that separate you to your neighbors. That means that you can hear everything that's happening next to you. We were disturbed 1 morning with our neighbours arguing at 7am and 1 evening with parents and child screaming/playing until 11pm.. We told the GM who advised that he was aware of the issue and that this would be fixed for next year. Don't be put off though as most people are considerate and it wont ruin your holidays!
*The Pool: WAOOOOO What is it not to love about this pool?? It's fantastic! Not too big, not too small, just right! And just right in front of the ocean.. PERFECT! Just a real shame that again there was some renovation work and we were never able to use it at 100% nor not be disturbed by work noises... Not to mention that on our last day guests from another resort went into the pool for a Diving course?
*Romantic Dinner: As it was my 30th birthday my boyfriend organised this beautiful romantic dinner by the ocean with the help of the staff and the chef. I'm usually not a big fan of this cheesy business but I have to say that I was blown away! The table was beautifully set inside a beautiful red heart shaped in the sand with roses and candles. A fire was also lit for us. The food was just fantastic! About 5 dishes all absolutely delicious! And as it was my 30th the chef had also made me a birthday cake. I had a splendid and unforgettable 30th birthday! Thanks to my boyfriend, the chef and of course all the staff with a special mention to Hom for her kindness and impeccable service!
*Breakfast: Delicious!!! Whatever you want, you'll find it in this enormous buffet! Hot or cold, sweet or sour, pastries, bread, fruits, juices, smoothies, vietnamese, european, eggs the way you like them etc... A great way to start the day!
*Spa: I went to the Spa at 2 separate occasions. The first time for a Vietnamese massage. I was told it would be soft, calming and relaxing. I never had a massage before so I cannot compare. What I found was that it was pretty hard for me and not very relaxing at the time. Especially with (again) the sound of the drills and hammer all around... :(
I went the next day for a facial that was however very calming indeed (but still with drills in background). Special thanks to the lovely girl there that made my hair beautiful at the end of each session!
*Beach: The staff does an AWESOME job at picking up the trash coming from the sea. We were able to have a swim and even to pick up a jelly fish! haha
*Sports: I was a bit disappointed on that side. All that was there for us to use were the Kayak and the bicycles... They only had 2 machines at the gym (no treadmill which was out of order).. The tennis court was also out of order....
*Staff and Service: The Vietnamese staff is wonderful! Always there to serve you with a BIG smile, courteous, discrete, charming.. They are just great! The however only non-Vietnamese staff (Russian I think) present on-site could do with providing a better customer service along with smiles and apologies when a wrong information is given (price on taxi)!
*Location: It's in a really nice spot about 15min drive up from Duong Dong and this is what we loved about it. I see reviews moaning about the road.. Yeah it's a bit bumpy but come on, it's only 1.5km and I actually found it quite fun!!
And last but not least, we were also invited to the welcome drinks evening that takes place near the beach at sunset and it's a great way to meet the other guests. Hello to our Dearests Uncle Pete and Sue!
So all in all, we loved our stay at Chen Sea and we would definitely recommend it and visit again. But next time I will make sure that there are no renovations work going on (and it'll be a 5stars review for sure!)...
Thanks to you all at Chen Sea!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear Chrysteria64,

So maintaining the property is highly costly, smile….
As I told you the Monsoon has been so bad since the 1st of May that we could not do the job, no way.
So slight delay was not avoidable.

What is important is that you really enjoyed everything the Chen Sea represents and offers.
You should come back during the High Season and see the property dressed up for the nice weather.
Maybe with your email addie we could even get a 6 dots, smile….

It has been a pleasure meeting you.
Kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara boutique Collection.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed in Chen Sea for five nights with my wife in October 2013. It was a very nice stay. We chose this as our first stay out of two on Phu Quoc and it was the right place to start our vacation and relax after all the job stress at home.
The sea front villa was very large, with a very large bed, a nice bathroom with a huge shower, a bath tub in front of the villa and only a few meters to the water.
The restaurant was nice, especially the breakfast with a lot of home made things. Some of the evening dinners we had at the small family owned places next door.Our clear favorite was Thuys House where Ms Thuy is giving a very professional massage and where she serves very godd food at extremely low prices. This vistis gave us a more family oriented experience even when we stayed at the nice resort.
This being our second time to Phu Quoc and the third place we have stayed on the island, it is the best place we have been on the island.

Room Tip: We had a beach front villa and loved it.
1  Thank RagnarfromOslo

Dear RagnarfromOslo,

A Senior Contributor highly enjoying the Chen Sea is so pleasing.
We thank you very much and we really hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you again.
We appreciate as well your overall assessment of the Resort after having tried other properties.

With our most sincere thanks and kindest regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Me and my husband had the chance to stay in Chen Sea and it was great. The resort is quite, peaceful and beautiful. The resort has their own beach but I like the pool better.
One only weak point is the breakfast. It was a little bit poor to us.
In general, it worths your time and money :)

1  Thank DiepAnh8687

Dear DiepAnh8687,

Thank you for your nice review, and we are glad that you enjoyed your experiencing on the Chen Sea.
We shall ensure that next time you will like the Breakfast more so we’ll get a 5 points score, smile…

To the pleasure welcoming you again,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

After our experience in Nha Trang we didn't want to leave anything to chance so we splurged a bit and booked Chen Sea for 3 nights. We had a sea view villa which had a luxury out door bath tub and shower. The villa was large and well kept. They have a lovely infinity pool that faces the ocean and the restaurant is excellent. The Chef is Indian and we had a 4 course Indian meal that was world class. I'd highly recommend requesting the Indian food. Everything is fresh, juices, food, fruit, and so on. They seem to grow much of their own produce. they have their own lovely stretch of private beach and just next door is a lovely little shack serving cheap beer and food. great for lunch if you want a change. We ate their twice and were very happy they presented us with the fish caught that day and it was as fresh as it gets.
The staff here are lovely. They are very very accommodating and provide turn up and turn down service. If you plan on spending time in the city this is not really the place. It's about a 15 minute cab ride over some seriously bumpy and muddy roads. However, this resort is so inclusive just spend the time there and maybe take a water taxi in if you feel the itch. Without a doubt this was our best experience in Vietnam. The only place that matched the service was Hotel Rendezvous in Hanoi. Finally on a side note the hotel is properly maintained. Usually in Vietnam they just build a new resort instead of maintaing an existing one. But Chen Sea does preventative and necessary upkeep. Book with confidence and enjoy.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gabe F
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Dear Gabe F,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
This review feels like you enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea,

I am particularly please when it comes to the Maintenance effort. Yes we care, and yes, with the support of our Owning Company, we do what is needed to not only maintain it but improve it. We are a bit late in our program as the weather is not helping us, but I already think about all the things that we’ll do next year. I wish that our Guests will find my little ideas quite interesting.

Little remark as usual… Our new Chef if from Sri Lanka, and yes of course he knows Indian food. With Chef Thao taking care of the Vietnamese side, we are going to have a great team in the Kitchen to please our Guests.

Sincere thanks and kind regards,

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Wen't there for a 2,5 day gettaway to unwind and recharge. and that's just exactly what we did. everything was taken care of, from the pick up in the airport to the nice and comforting rooms.

the staff polite, the food nice, the sourroundings beautiful and quiet.

very romantic, highly recommendable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Ksvane,

I am going to make it as short as you, smile…. Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu so much.
It is beautiful for us to read your Review, and I hope that our Readers here on Trip Advisor will catch what you really say about your experiencing of the Chen Sea.

Being close to Paradise is a great spot, which is why I love my Resort (yes it is not mine, but a Hotelier loving his hotel makes it his’ – For the kids ready to join the Industry it is called taking ownership…!!!).
With my most sincere thanks.