“Beautiful....”

Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
“Beautiful....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We have just returned from a two week vacation to Vietnam and stayed for five nights at the Chen Sea Resort. Getting to the resort may not be what you quite expect, many of the roads are unsealed and very bumpy, however please do not let this deter you from traveling to Phu Quoc. The resort itself was beautiful, especially the rooms. We stayed in a pool villa (to accommodate a family of four). Breakfast was included in our stay and was very good. It provided a mix of western/asian food and a chef was also there to cook omelet, etc. We also ate some other meals at the restaurant and they were of a high standard. Happy hour was provided each evening and we enjoyed the views as well as the cocktails! The spa was amazingly good and had several treatments - all at a reasonable price. The first two days of our stay were quite wet, and several activities closed (kyaks, beach, tennis courts), the resort needs to develop other activities younger guests can participate in during bad weather (table tennis table or pool table), fortunately we were traveling with another family and the kids were able to keep each other occupied. We ate at a local cafe (took a taxi), and took a taxi into town several times, visited "Moe's Bar", the night markets, etc. We paid USD$40 for a taxi to take us around the south of the island (there were 7 of us), visited a pearl farm, prison used during the war, Sao beach - beautiful, pepper farm and fish oil farm - although wasn't much to see there. My husband and mate hired a motorbike just a walk away from resort and paid USD$10 for the day. They rode up to the North of the island - said it was fantastic. Unfortunately, due to the wet weather we didn't venture to the National park. Would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Paula M,

We thank you for your wonderful comments and we are glad that you enjoyed the Chen Sea.
One day, and once again do not ask me when, a new road from town to North road will be built, it is in the Plan.
And in the meantime they will do cosmetic renovation to the dirt road. So yes there is a mile of serious “whats left of a dirt road after 6 months of rain”…. Smile.
You are as well very positive on your island discovery though “there is not much to see” as you say. But you made up the best with it.

Details about the quality of our services is highly appreciated.
We thank you once again,
With kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hanoi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

The 3 of us stayed at the resort for 4 days, and yes, it was amazing. Originally we booked the sea view villa, but was upgraded to the beach front one, which was really nice. Everything was clean, the staffs were friendly. Chef Thao was really nice and friendly. Spa staffs were great as well

However, there is a big BUT in this trip

We got invited to the GM cocktail. I guessed it was like a gathering for guests, and some of the staffs joined us as well. This was where we got really annoyed. So apparently the resort just hired a new executive chef from sri lanka, and he's been working for only a few days when we stayed at the resort. He talked to us at the party, and at one point, asked one of us (apparently the one he had his eyes on) to come to his room for a drink. That was so offensive to us, cause seriously, how can you tried to hit on your guests, when we were paying to be served professionally.

I'm disappointed, as I expect the service from a 4 star resort would be better than that. Obviously it was from one individual, but still

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank ilikebac0n
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear ilikebac0n,

First of all a great deal of thanks for your very nice scoring of the Chen Sea.
I did a massive investigation of course, I was not present, and I learnt from all that you had a great time.
Who knows but maybe if there has not been a “BUT” in your Review, we would have score the perfect 6 points, smile….

When I think that some believe that I would not answer to your Review, this is a lack of trust in my professionalism.

The big “BUT” now.
This is a serious accusation and of course a tremendous prejudice, so I did an in depth investigation.
This is the outcome:
- Staff are not invited to participate to the GM’s Cocktail, some Head of Departments are, so to interact with our Guests, and for our Guests to know the Management Team.
- From Eric who interfered a lot with you, he was the GM during my absence, to Vietnamese Managers, everybody said that it was very difficult to communicate with you because of a language barrier. Your Review in English does not reflect that.
- As there is a recognized language barrier, there is a great deal of chance of a serious misunderstanding.
- The new Chef from Sri Lanka is a 25 years professional who joined us few days before this Cocktail. Real professionals don’t do that, and certainly not upon their arrival as they would risk too much.
- Chef Denzil, as this is his name, recognized having talked to you, Chef Thao was present, but it was very short talk because the barrier language.
- Eric present at this time, didn’t recall any incident.
- How is it possible that facing such a scandalous attitude from a professional expatriate you didn’t complain to the Acting General Manager, including on the spot. I know some Ladies who would have made a legitimate scandal on the spot, and in their language, whatever this language is.
- You didn’t send neither any form of communucation to officialy complain to the General Manager.
- I sent you an email some days after I came back upon reading your Review. You never answer to me. Why?

For all these reasons your review is highly suspicious. You have chosen Trip Advisor as your Forum to throw what is a serious accusation, a tremendous prejudice, without one single evidence that it could be true.
All this does not sustain your accusation. It is the way that you handled it that made it not credible.
You know my email address if you wish to pursue.

With our most sincere thanks for you high value Review,
Kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in a Jacuzzi Villa.
Check in was fast and efficiently done. We got 2 days of sunshine but the next 2 days were not so good nothing the resort can do about. Was very very windy as a storm was passing by.
Reception staff were very good. Restaurant staff were awesome especially Ngyuen and Jesse, always had a smile.
The resort is a bit out of town, around 20 - 25 mins drive with a bumpy patch in the middle for at least 5 miles.

Food was really good and breakfast had a variety of choice.

Beach was clean and pool was of a decent size.

Would definitely come back but not in September.

Faisal

Room Tip: Jacuzzi Villa
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear F K,

We thank you for your wonderful review about your experiencing of the Chen Sea.

Monsoon is hard this year, and though we have signs that it is soon over, it is still far from perfect.
If you want our little paradise to be at its best, I always advise to come the first half of December.
Weather and sea are beautiful, all activities in place, outside facilities all set, exclusively couples’ clientele…. A dream.
By then the tennis court has been redone and our little access road as well.
When it comes to the portion getting out from town, which is 1 mile sharp (I measured it smile) it will be repaired in November after the rain as usual.
Now we wait for the new road connection between town and road to the North. It will come, just don’t ask me when.

Contact me when you decide to come back and I shall take care of you,
Sincere thanks and kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Cenatara Boutique Collection.
Chatenay Malabry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

After a long trip through Vietnam and Cambodia we found this hotel an ideal place to rest and enjoy the beach. The rooms are really beautiful and service is outstanding. Food is also excellent of course. M. Petit the manager is really doing a great job. We recommand this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Patrice M
Dear Patrice M,

What a “fantastic” review, short, precise and elogious.
Once again for our readers, I am the Mister Petit, very few know in fact, smile….
We thank you for coming to us while in Phu Quoc, and we are glad that you enjoyed your experiencing.
Then the little icing on the cake: when french Guests tell me that our Food is excellent, I have the tendency to trust that…
Not that I am French, smile.

Please accept our warmest thanks and kindest regards,
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at Chen Sea for 5 nights. The resort is beautiful with lush green grassy areas that meet the lovely beach and refreshing infinity pool overlooking the ocean.
The villa's are very nice with a fantastic bathroom and balcony. We had a sea view villa (behind the beach villa's but part of the view is beach). Our villa was joined by connecting door to the villa beside us so at times we could hear talking but it wasn't loud. Two villa's to a bungalow means the connecting door is only on one side.
Pool service was great for towels, drinks and food. The bar was a lovely place to hang out in the afternoons and happy hour every night (order the Chen Sea Pizza from the bar, it's delicious). The restaurant for breakfast and dinner is a lovely open area with views of the ocean. Food was good and the prices reasonable for a resort.
Motor bike rental is very close and it was fun to explore the island during the day.
We got a cab into town (15mins) and had dinner and drinks at La Veranda a couple of times which also has a lovely bar and good food but with live entertainment that was fantastic and added life to the low season vibe.
Chen Sea is a relaxing tropical beach oasis away from side by side hotels in town but close enough to enjoy splitting your time between both if you choose to. Thanks Chen Sea, I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear porknapplesauce,

I love your nick, smile….
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we are delighted to have pleased you.
Of course I won’t comment on the bike rental phrase, I even do not know what is a bike, smile again….
You have enjoyed the special Chen Sea atmosphere, lifestyle and permanent pampering of our Guests.
And as you wish to return one day, and beside the fact that we shall be so happy to welcome you again, I remind the only rule that applies to our Guests.
When you come back, I am the only key: gmcpv@chr.co.th
I always do my best to please with little touches….

With our most sincere renewed thanks.
Kind regards,
Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

What a great choice for Offsite meeting! We were professionally welcomed from the very first minute we got there. For accomodation and food, it came as amzazing to all of us. The sea view was fabulous with private and clean beach and a swimming pool facing the sea. The room was neat and tidy with unique ancient interior designs. The sea-food was fresh. In terms of meeting facilitates, even there was a militation that the meeting room could only best fit for 25 people, the staff were friendly open and actively in discussing and arrangement. Above all, we were greeted and served by ardour staff with smiles always. I myself also was really impressed by the natural atmosphere with well-cared flowers and trees all around the resort. All in all, the meeting went successfully and all the team did enjoy full 3 days there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear TuLQ,

Sometime a great Review about our dear Chen Sea has more weight than another perfect comment.
In your case as a Contributor of this Forum, your Review is an event for us.
We had plenty of great Reviews from Individuals, couples or families, we had as well some linked to big functions like a wedding party.
But this is the first time that a major international Corporation, organizing a small Incentive working group in our Resort, is posting a Review on this Forum.

There is no limit to my thanks to you, first for coming to us, then enjoying every minute of it, and then rewarding us with your review.

It has been a true pleasure to extent our Hospitality to your great Company.
We sincerely thank you.
With kind regards,
Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

A luxurious, secluded resort with large spacious rooms, air-con with a unique outdoor shower room complete with hanging orchids, spa bath on private terrace. An beautiful ocean facing infinity pool to enjoy when the beach was closed for swimming due to monsoon season.(a special mention to the staff who keep the beach immacculate - NOT an easy task) A great restaurant with good food selections - reasonably priced as well. Heavenly Fragrant Massages in gorgeous open but private rooms.The highlight of our stay was the personal welcome letter and invitation to the weekly Cocktail evening from the General Manager, Olivier, where we met other guests of the resort and got to know Olivier personally.Thanks for keeping us updated on the races :) All of the staff were great and bi-lingual, excellent service by housekeeping.Will definately be recommending this resort to everyone !!

Room Tip: Sea View Villa #201 the Best,closest to all amenities but private.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chappi1
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
“Dear chappi 1,

Rectification number one, we are the ones adoring you, smile… and we are not luxurious, we are exclusive!!!
Thank you so much for your kind words, your review is beautiful. And yes we had the feeling that you enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea.
Do you know that I regret to have updated you on the results of the races!!! I was so happy to give you the news that you wanted to hear… Then you left and disaster happened. Either I should not have informed you, or you should have stayed at the Chen Sea. So sorry for you at the end…

We sincerely thank you to have chosen us and I stay at your disposal when your friends will come to the Chen Sea.
Kindest regards,