“Top cuisine and perfect resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc

Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Top cuisine and perfect resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Best food we had in Vietnam though over 4 days consistency somewhat lacked but this is said on a very high level. The cook really knows his stuff including best Tiramisu I have ever had! All dishes prepared perfectly. Staff speaks good English, Russian and French. Grounds are well maintained and we got a great deal during off season paying 203 usd for 2 adults and 2 teens incl breakfast which was outstanding value for what you get. Bedding of great quality and beds 2x2 m! Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear dullyjan,

What a great and adorable short Review, we thank you so much.
Then I add my personal thanks to your emphasize on the great deal we give during the Low Season.
And Monsoon or no Monsoon, you are highlighting as well that a family can have great time at the Chen Sea.

You are very sharp in your comments about the food as yes it is really good and yes it is reasonabily priced.
But you point your finger on where we have to improve, which is consistency.
This is part of our 3rd year program and we talk to our Chef about it. So we look at how to handle this on a technical basis.
And I want to do this ahead of us changing a quarter of our Menu, this is too important and you are right.

Once again, thank you very much, we are pleased that the whole family loved it.
Kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Go to this island soon before the rest of the world hear about it!! We are so glad we did & when you go stay at this resort! From the moment you arrive at the islands new airport, you will be warmly greeted by a staff member of Chen Sea. About 40 mins later you will arrive at the beautiful Chen Sea. Check in is seamless & the initial view of the resort breathtaking! We stayed in a beachfront villa with a great bath on the verandah! The room was furnished tastefully & in keeping with their desire to use natural materials. Food was outstanding & very reasonably priced & we are fussy! All the staff are warm,friendly & so accommodating. Nothing was too much trouble for our demanding toddler!!!
Breakfast had everything you would want & need & happy hour from 5-7pm was fantastic with 40% off drinks. The GM cocktail evening was a brilliant way to meet the amazing staff & sample their yummy red wine!
The Spa was outstanding. My husband & I had many a massage in the open air pavilions. Prices were again very reasonable for a resort spa. The resort is situated about a 20min cab ride from the main town of Phu Quoc. The remoteness of the resort is one of the reasons why it is so beautiful! Thank you Chen Sea for a memorable 5 night stay!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tania
Dear Tania,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review.
And yes Phu Quoc will be developed quite a lot, and now is the time for those who prefer more genuine and untouched islands.
This being said and as I often say, no matter what is thrown at this island, Chen Sea and its environment will remain an unspoilt spot of exclusivity.
I am glad that you enjoyed your experiencing of our Resort.

And then I have another reason to thank you. In less than 20 lines you brought down all the major critics against us.
So next time I have to answer to someone who says that we are outrasgeously expensive for a Resort in Vietnam, I’ll send you an email and ask you to answer, smile….

With our most sincere thanks and kindest regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

A weekend away from the hustle & bustle and La Madame Mole out from GB. Sea,some sun, some rain, screaming kids, a sand fly or two, several cold beers and some very decent food. All in all, a contented Mole. Well, almost. Everything works. Staff are friendly, polite and most helpful. The location is idyllic, the evening food excellent and not nearly as expensive as some reviewers would have you believe, although breakfast is 'samey' (and don't be late). Clean beach, well kept , well guarded, great sunsets. So why am I not raving about the place? We did the full 2 bed roomed villa thing, complete with infinity pool and very nice too. Hugely spacious, lovely comfy beds but beyond minimalist and way into spartan. Olivier, don't give me Italian rustic. This was bordering on the empty! Next, DO go to the cafes at the end of the beach. Just have a noodle and a beer and gaze at the ocean. Truly peaceful. Oh, and on leaving, buy a few cans to take back to the room. The mini bar is far beyond eye wateringly expensive. And don't lie about it when you leave. On checking out, you will be made to wait - no matter how much you paid, in our case, over US$340 per night - while they freely admit that they are going to check the minibar, count the teaspoons and towels and, ever so politely while you are having a major sense of humor failure, bring you back the sunglasses you left in the room! It's nice, we'll probably go back, but .............

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank PhileasMole
Dear PhileasMole,

First of all thank you so much for your humour and then for not reflecting too much in your review, as a Senior Contributor, how we have been clumsy with you.
I do remember very well your advice and it will be implemented.

You have enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea and we are pleased.

I have well noted your comment on the Buffet Breakfast, and though it will be hard to believe, but we are on it and should be ready with a new way by October.

Then of course I am going to give you the “rustico”, but more seriously.
When the Owners created the Pool Villa, it was for a Family, with kids running all over the ground floor and the terrace to the Pool.
Us as a Management Company, our reaction was very close to yours. Recently I had a Centara inspection on our Standards, and your comment came up big time in his report.
Our commitment to the Owners is to make their property run better without touching the “baby”. And then we had, and still have so much, to do on the software and the hardware of the property, that I intended to came up with this kind of comments during my third year, soon approaching.
They never envisaged that couples would love this type of accomodation for its size and privacy, and that suddenly the ground floor would look way beyond “rustico”.
Your comment is helping a lot as I know that they read it.

Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Cenatara Boutique Collection.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Before booking The Chen Sea I only read the negative reviews and new that this was exactly what I was looking for. Away from the hustle & bustle, what a way to spend our last week in Vietnem. in trying to be picky this place is really hard to fault.
Location: Brilliant if you want some seclusion, privacy and quiet time with loved ones. If you do want to get into town it's approx 15 mins by taxi.
Resort: Beautifully set in it's own nature reserve with it's own beach, away from any other resorts or crowds,
Rooms: Very spacious, outdoor shower is a nice touch and the bath in the deck was wonderful. We had a beach front which was great but the pool Villas look even better.
Restaurant: Yes it's a little more expensive than eating in a street side cafe however we had some of our best meals in all of Vietnam in this Restaurant, and it's still considerably cheaper than home.
Beach: Clean and safe for our 2 year old daughter.
Pool: Loved it, spacious, drops into the ocean and even has a seperate toddler side to it.
Summary: like any great resort it is the staff that truly make it and the staff are amazing, we really felt like we were leaving family when we left. I'm not sure how this is not number 1 but I think it is only a matter of time!
Tip: Finish breakfast with a Vietnamese coffee iced!!!!!

Room Tip: Beach front are literally metres from the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Troy010
Dear Troy010,
Are you telling me that I should encourage the negative comments to welcome more great Guests like you?

Thank you, I don’t know what to say, and furthermore you are a Senior Contributor!
It is nice and encouraging to say that we are “perfect” as we are not, but when I say that it is my personal aim for this jewel of a Resort, some say it is in possible.
At least we try, and the harder we do so, the more our wonderful Guests love it…. So we’ll keep going on and wont give up.

Then I like your comment on why we are not ranked number 1 on the Island. This is a funny one.
Well if you take the top of the ranking you find a resort, which is highly successful but a kind of very special one, and a restaurant newly opened. Taking into account the way Trip Advisor calculate the ranking, there are reasons to believe that there is something wrong somewhere.

There is another way to read the ranking. The only 2 properties of Phu Quoc who are listed in the Top 25 Hotels in Vietnam are ranked only number 4 and 5 in Phu Quoc, and the first 3 ones are not in the Top 25!!!
I am not happy with our 5th ranking in Phu Quoc, but I focus more on staying in the Top 25 of the Country.

Please accept my sincere thanks and kindest regards,
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was our first visit to Chen Sea, and having stayed in hotels and resorts all around SE Asia, we know what we as a family need for a relaxing and fun break. Having read some of the previous reviews - and the robust replies from the management - we were a little apprehensive, mainly in two areas: the cost of the food and relative scarcity of convenient alternatives, and the 'remoteness' of the resort itself.
The pick up from the spanking-new international airport was arranged by the resort, and proved to be seamless, though some sections of the road were unsurfaced and in poor conditions after days of rain. Chen Sea is indeed quite remote, though this wasn't a problem for us in the event.
Arrival was pleasant, with fruit drinks under the shade of a beautiful tree outside reception, and our pool villa charmed all of us at first sight, including our two children (boy and girl both aged 7).
Our four night stay was excellent - we ate in the restaurant or downstairs bar every evening, and sampled a wide range of food from the menu, as well as one or two dishes specially cooked. All of the food was tasty, with fresh ingredients, and reasonably 'authentic' (my wife is Vietnamese and a keen cook). We drank wine by the glass with our evening meals, and also had one or two 'sundownders' on the lovely purple bean-bag chairs watching the sunset. Our final bill for food and beverages was very reasonable indeed, and much lower than we'd be led to expect by some of the contributors on the forum.
I confess that we hardly ventured out of the resort - our kids were perfectly content to splash alternately in the villa's pool and beautiful infinity pool near to the beach. We did buy cheaper drinks from the little shop a few hundred metres from the main gate, and eat lunch one day at the first hut along the beach (not 'Thuy's House', as it was closed). It was (just) OK, but not cheap, (two thirds of the resort prices) and I couldn't recommend it to other visitiors.
The villa itself was very nice indeed, though the main double bed was far too soft for my liking (I have back trouble) and so I ended up sleeping in one of the kid's single beds downstairs which proved to be firmer. I also agree with an earlier contributor on the expanses of concrete used in the decoration of the villa. I understand the objective of keeping 'natural' materials in the design, and it largely works in the upstairs area, but the downstairs lounge is rather underfurnished, with a single sofa and a large expanse of cold concrete that really needs rugs or cushions to break up the monotony of that particular room.
Otherwise, our stay was great - Eric, the DM, talked to us on a regular basis, and he was amusing and frank with his comments, which we really appreciated. All of the staff were friendly and helpful, and the resort is generally immaculate. We visited during the monsoon season, and were very fortunate to 'lose' only one morning to heavy rain - the rest of our visit was perfect, with breezy evenings in the bar or open-air section of the restaurant. Perhaps next time we'll try to return during the more settled weather periods, but return we will!

Room Tip: Pool villas great for families with children who can swim (no shallow area)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear TKM822,

What a very kind review, thank you so much.

As I just answered to a previous Contributor on the decoration of the ground floor of the Pool Villa I am not going to repeat.
I find very interesting that you made a similar comment, but the difference is that you came as a family. So I hope my Owners will take note, smile to them….

I of course particularly appreciate your comments on our Restaurant and its pricing, Yes we are reasonable on many accounts but some as one said in a Guest Comment:
“But why you are not priced at the same level of the local café and restaurants?”… I even don’t know what to answer anymore.

We are very pleased that the Family loved it and the fact that we are 8 to 10 Kms from Town didn’t bother you at all.
When as a resort we can satisfy both couples and families, it means that we are on the right path.

Sincere thanks and kind regards,
Roatan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

From the pick up @ the airport to the check in and departure was first class. We spent 3 nights and 4 days at this resort and used the spa every day for 90 min massages and left feeling so relaxed and recharged. We can not wait to come back for a longer stay. I also booked a scuba diving trip through the hotel and got to see the island and the underwater world below. This place gets a thumbs up in my book of places to come back too.

Room Tip: Try to book beach front as it has nice views and the ocean sounds lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank airspeed_69
Dear airspeed_69,

We have never received so many great reviews from Senior Contributors since I arrived here.
Some might think that we organized a Convention… Nope…

Thank you so much. Down the line, we feel so good when our Guests fully enjoyed their experiencing of the Chen Sea.
And you said so; you came and then felt relaxed and recharged. We are naturally Feng Xui so it helps a lot as well.
But this property and this environment, and a bit of our work too, create something that is unique.

And I hope that our readers on this Forum will start to understand why we have repeaters, why some come for a month, some come to Vietnam just to spend a week at the Chen Sea so to rest, recuperate, detox, relax, recharge and enjoy valuable time as a couple or a family.

This is why Chen Sea has been created.
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I came back to Chen sea after One year away and the level of friendliness hasn't changed a bit, thus the level of Comunication skill and comfort has significantly improved to the extend that if I adapt to speak slower and without eating words anyone could comfortably assist me.

Food: the restaurant is not expensive, how can be expense a pizza at 9 usd tax and service charge included? This time of the year there is no buffet therefore I had to taste several choices from the a la carte menu. I had hot stone with tenderloin and lamb one night and saafood another.
I had asked dishes outside the menu and My request was accommodate. It was like having a personal chef at service.
I didn't experience the bar, but I see they are taking care of the pool service and they did a good job.

As it has rain two third of my stay I splurged on spa which I find very effordable and with high standard of service, living in Thailand I know I am quite of a high maintainance .

Rooms as clean as one would expect in a privileged environment, they learned I like chocolate and I was served twice the regular portion of milk chocolate every night .

After one year I can only see that this hotel has taken a even better direction , the product by its self was already splendid now seams even more efficient.

Of course been a repeater I I had certain privileges and booking directly with the GM a direct line of communication. It was nice been welcomed back by my first name , second having complementary transfer , third the staff after a couple of days started to remember my preferences for breakfast, chair at the pool, side of the bed where I sleep.

One improvement to be done is the gym facility, not that i am a fanatic by any mean, but a bit more choice would Help especialy during raining days.

I can only hope there would be soon a direct flight from Bangkok to the new international airport of phu quoc.

Pls do not chose this resort , or this island for that matter if you want action, loud music, party.

If in need to detox from the world, or to recover from stress, this is the place, this is an experience to be savoured slowly.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Rebalodorico
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Rebalodorico,

We are very touched with your Review. A repeater, who is as well a Senior Reviewer, is always very precious to us.
Unfortunately, they do not all share their appreciation of th Chen Sea, like if they want to keep it for themselves.

True as well that the Monsoon has been hard on us, but then it gave me the opportunity to see something that I have never seen in my life, as a Hotelier.
Guests by the pool, not swimming in the rain, this happens so often, but laying down on the deck chairs in the rain like for getting taned. Amazing!

We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but it is very nice and encouraging to read your comments about our progress. We just received another Award to confirm it.
Reading it on this Forum is very nice.

Please accept my renewed thanks and our kindest regards,