“Bit remote but gorgeous”

Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
Ranked #6 of 108 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for only one night as we had booked La Veranda for 5 nights and could only get it for 4. We fell upon the place by accident but what luck we did. We booked a sea view villa and it was fabulous. Huge bedroom with lovely stone bathroom with cool shower Massive glass doors open up to patio with inbuilt hot tub sunken into the decking. We ate at the restaurant and the food was good. Only complaint was that there was no evening atmosphere - only one other table who left as we were having our meal so felt pressure not to sit around and enjoy a few glasses of wine post dinner. No music on and bright lighting so a bit sterile. There is a lovely pool and the staff were great. Only problem is the place is a bit far from other evening options although the island is so small, it's all relative. Would definitely recommend but not if your hoping for a late night bar and a party atmosphere.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NicolaFD
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear NicolaFD,

Thank you for your very nice review. Taking into consideration that your experiencing was a bit accidental, it is very sweet to read it.

You noticed as well that we are a bit remote, but this is how we have this environment. You cant have this in Long Beach.

Though the atmosphere is different during the High Season, Chen Sea is known to be a peaceful retreat where there is no noise.

Our Guests enjoy more the Happy Hour with the sound of the waves rather than a band, very true.

Most of our clientele is couple and they come here to enjoy their privacy and once in a while they go to town to see some crowd and feel some noise.

This is who we are, true.

Once again thank you for your review and recommendation.

Kind regards,

Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed in Chen Sea for just 1 night and it was wonderful. Partly because it was way above my expectation (sad but true, I am Vietnamese and I believe there is lot to improve in term of customer service in my home country…)

Room was very spacious with traditional look. There are (apart from the large bedroom) a small and separate storage room and very large open bathroom. Outside were Jacuzzi and a lovely terrace. Absolutely worth the money we paid. Pool, restaurant and bar are all facing the clean and nice beach. You should not expect a very large beach area though since it is not a very big resort anyway. My only regret was that I only had one night.

The staffs are so helpful, friendly and nice – especially the girl at reception area and the young guy who pick up customers to and from the airport. Speaking of which, you should ask for their transfer service at usd6/pax. On our way to the resort, we took a cab and it was around usd18 (cab fare here is actually more expensive than in Hanoi or HCMC). We used their service back to airport, more convenient, cheaper and they even helped me check in for my flight (not that I request but he offered to queue and carry my luggage anyway)… We wanted to have a drink in resort bar after dinner, but it was heavy rain and strong wind. So I just tried my luck to call for room service at 11pm to order a bottle of wine (policy says room service closed at 10pm). Anyway, the staff brought me wine with ice bucket and glasses despite the very heavy rain outside.

One main negative point, it is not convenient to go to town or other part of the island. I was advised not to try motorbike as the road was in a very bad shape due to rainy weather… (The road here really needs serious developments). Of course, we can take cab at about usd10 to Night Market but I think the management should consider having a shuttle bus, probably simple service like fixed schedule bus to Night Market and some other main attractions, free or slightly cheaper price? It is easier for us to plan our time and save costs too. We wanted to go to buy some stuffs and have lunch in town but finally decided not to, just because it was not very convenient (and it was not worth paying usd20 to/from town just for a meal).
Due to this, we had lunch at the restaurant. Food was expensive by Vietnam standard – though not expensive by resort standard (especially compared to those in Thailand or Bali)… for 1 starter and 1 main, I paid about usd30, as much as I paid for a whole meal (4 course for 2 pax) in town – but it was very delicious (and save the time/ money going to town anyway). I also tried their spa service – 60 min facial treatment at usd40. It was relaxing but quite basic, not memorable like something I will have to do again.

Overall, I’d like to go back here for their room and service and also for the fact that I really like this island, the food and the people. Probably I’d choose a better timing ie not monsoon season to better enjoy the beach and the pool :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bubbly1988
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

“Dear bubbly1988,

I still ponder what I like the most in your review between your highest rating, the fact that you are a Singapore resident lah (smile) or the fact that you are Vietnamese.
You see, us, Hoteliers, we have this tendency to focus on the score so when we see the five green dots, we have a smile on our face.
Then from Singapore, you are so spoilt there that we found that it was quite hard to satisfy the Singaporians.
But most important, and I thank you so much for this, you highlighted the quality of our Service as a Vietnamese. Yes indeed, the attitude of our staff is wonderful.
Yes indeed, they should be a reference in term of what it means to be guest oriented while staying genuine.

Now a personal little tip from me: should you wish to enjoy the Chen Sea at its fullest potential, I would like to recommend the first half of December.

Then get in touch with me, and I shall be delighted to take care of you. Then we’ll enjoy some bubbles together.
Talking about bubbles, I suffered so much during my vacations. Do you believe that I had a magnum of Dom Pe 98 which was slightly corked, scandalous!!! This was one of my mission tasks during my break and I nearly got sick! Then to feel better we had a magnum of 83 (the 250th Anniversary vintage), thanks God this one was delicious. I really understand how people can suffer during their vacations.

To the pleasure welcoming you another time.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 9 nights in May with my husband at the end of our holiday in Vietnam.

Let me start by getting the one negative out of the way. the food in the restaurant is very expensive for Vietnam! I know that Olivier (general manager) will not agree, as he hasn't in previous reviews! But the fact that every evening we were there we saw very few people in the restaurant speaks volumes. I know a lot of the other couples we met during our stay there and spoke to agreed, and like us, chose to eat outside of the hotel. However, The one meal we did enjoy in the restaurant was beautiful, well cooked,well presented and impeccable service, the chef even came out to speak to us prior to us ordering to give us some recommendations which we though was a nice touch!

We had the basic sea view villa, but due to the length of our stay we were given a villa close to the pool that had direct views of the sea. We couldn't fault the room, very spacious and modern with a lovely outdoor bathroom. The room was serviced twice a day and the evening turndown service with chocolates on the bed and the lighting of the oil burner to prevent insects in the room was nice. There is a lovely large bathroom with outdoor shower, and a jacuzzi style bathtub on the decking/ terrace area which was nice. You can pull down the blinds for privacy, although it does take some time for the tub to fill up! The decking area had lovely comfortable seating, perfect for relaxing a reading a book at the end of a long day in the sun! Room amenities include free bottle water twice a day, use of beach bag and flip flops. Tea and coffee making facilities and bath, body and hair products to use in the bathroom.

The pool area was Lovely. Comfortable loungers and a beautiful infinity pool. The pool staff are on hand constantly to help you with moving your bed or parasol, towels are provided and they will get any food or drink you may wish. The beach was beautiful, cleaned and swept every morning and both my husband and I enjoyed many a lovely walk up and down the beach. Whilst the sea was a little rough during our stay we were still able to enjoy a dip, which was very invigorating!! The grounds are immaculate and tended to constantly by a dedicated team of gardeners.

Breakfast was absolutely wonderful, so much choice. Shakes, juices, fruit, cereal, yogurt, meats, cheeses, salads, pastries, cakes, bread, toast, jams, egg station, pancakes, waffles, and a selection of hot food, bacon, sausage, rice, potatoes etc. What more can you want from a breakfast!! The only annoying thing was the flies on the bread, which we feel could be kept covered. My husband kept covering the bread with napkins.

Happy hour at the beach bar is every evening form 5-7pm, with 40% off cocktails. Situated in front of the pier it is perfect for watching the sunset and the beanbags they have for you to sit on are lovely and comfortable, we wanted to take them home. We went to general manager drinks during our stay, which is held every Thursday on the pier and is such a lovely touch and perfect for meeting some of the other residents in the hotel. We met some lovely Australian couples on this night.

We made use of the hotels free bicycle and DVD rentals during our stay. it is a little far from Phu Quoc town, but easy enough to reach by taxi. There are several houses on the lead up to the hotel that sell water and soft drinks that are a fraction of the price which they charge in the resort.

Again, I know Olivier will probably not like me mentioning this, but I must tell you about a little shack at the end of the beach which we went to several times during our stay, beautiful food and cheap massages. It's called Thuys house. Thuy herself is a little gem and nothing is too much trouble. She will get you whatever you want to eat from Market and she also arranged scooter hire for us. The massage I had was $15 for almost 90 minutes, and boy for a little lady she can certainly pack a punch! Make sure you check her out during your stay! We also ate at Sakura several times, a 40 minute walk or 10 minute bicycle ride form the hotel, see my separate review on this restaurant.

Overall, we had a 'chenmazing' stay at This beautiful resort.The staff are amazing and go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable and memorable. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if we were to revisit Phu Quoc.

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank Yorkshire-lass79

“Dear Yorshire-lass79,

Dear Senior Reviewer, thank you so much. Your review is superb and elogious.
Your negative point is not a negative point. It will be a negative point the day our rates will be compared to any 4* property in Vietnam, and hopefully picked up from the list of the 25 best hotels in Vietnam from this Forum. We might be the less expensive of them all. Then you are very right, during the low season, when our room rates are at their lowest, this is when our capture rate decreases by two. In the high season, it is different and even with the terrace opened, sometime guests have to wait to get a table.

The other day, I didn’t know what to order for dinner, so I picked up the A la Carte. Then I took a snack item. I had a wonderful three eggs omelet with a nice basket of French fries.

In the menu the rate is printed at 5$, Tax and service included. There is no abuse there.
And you have the right to talk about the neighbors, smile. Just that I promised not to say anything anymore, so I wont say a word. Sakura, I love her, and I go there tomorrow for lunch with my wife.

What is really great in your review is that you enjoyed nearly everything of your experiencing of the Chen Sea. This is what matters and this is why we work so hard for 18 months to reach there. Then it is important as well to emphasize the point that you stayed nine nights. This is a great success for us. And you even enjoyed your meal so much, what else could we wish for.

I really thank you for your comments and rating, this is very nice of you, and we all know (meaning readers as well) that you are not complacent. This value your comments even more.

With my kindest regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2013

From the moment we were picked up at the airport and checked-in (super early too), to the moment we left, the rooms, service, and food are impeccable. Everyone from the manager to the maids/gardeners were friendly, and the chef at the restaurant even offered to cook anything we wanted if we gave him notice.

I wish we could have had more than two nights there. Will definitely book this place the next time I go.

Probably the only thing that would've made this place better is being on Sao Beach (whiter sand, clearer water).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

“Dear Brian N,
We greatly thank you for your highly rated review. It is so wonderful to read this kind of feedback.
As you intend to come back allow me to remind (to all) that the only rule which is imposed on our Guests: I am your key to return.

I’ll take care of everything, even visa and plane ticket if you wish, and I’ll always try to be as facilitating as I can: gmcpv@chr.co.th
Sao Beach….. hmmm… True, the Beach is very nice, but as there are few buts. It will become massively developed and our spot will remain exclusive.
The second issue is that the Beach is not maintain. So my Guests who come back from there covered with bites from sand fleas, while I told them have a look but don’t lay down, it represents what we could call a bit of a downer. For the clearer water it depends the wind and currant. Trust me, sometime the East Coast faces the same problem than the West Coast.

Sometime guests feel that when they ask me something I could be biased. Of course I am not. I give you a couple of examples. When I recommend a high end bracket Restaurant, I always recommend the same. A competitor who never sends me a Guest, but it does not matter, I have to be honest to my Guests. Another one: Guests find me a bit boring when I recommend to take a cab rather than renting a bike. Well, our Guest who crashed with her bike yesterday with a broken clavicula, and now shortening her vacations straight back home, should have listened to me.
Even when my Guests are outside the property, I want them to feel and experience their trip in a safe mode.
We shall be delighted to welcome you again and we are waiting for you.

Kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Beach Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at the Chen Sea in Phu Quoc Island for 5 nights in the begining of June 2013. After visiting Saigon (Ho Chi Minh) and Hanoi Cities and cruising in Halong Bay, we choose Phu Quoc island and this resort for 5 days rest before returning to Portugal. We selected the Seaview villa and I think is the best choise of all. The location is excellent, just a few meter to the water, and the room is very clean, spacious with a huge bathroom.
We enjoyed a lot staying in this resort. The staff is very friendly and efficient and the food of the restaurant is also excellent. It is a little bit expensive for the Vietname standards but not for the Europeans. I think is one of the best options for rest in Phu Quoc Island. It will be the place to stay the next time I return to this island.

Room Tip: The Seaview Villa is the best option of all. With lots of space and only a few steps of the water.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Paulo Jorge B

“Dear PJRVBraz,

What a wonderful concise review, thank you so much.
It is true that you did seem to appreciate your experiencing of the Chen Sea and we are happy that you confirm it in this Forum.
I am glad as well that you participate to the ongoing Reviewers’ fight about the best accomodation in the Resort.
Yes, indeed, the Sea View is a great room. The added distance to the Sea is ten meters, and the room is slightly larger than the Beach front, though they are identical.
So it is nice to see a bit of recommendation for this great accomodation.
I also said that I would come back on the different tasks of my vacations and I have to mention another hard one: I have been obliged to drink a Gruaud Larose 1953.
You have no clue how much I suffered. This explains why I am so happy to be back at the Chen Sea, smile…

A million thanks to you and our warmest regards.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed at the Chen Sea for 4 nights in May at the end of a busy three week tour of Vietnam. After the hustle and bustle of the cities, it was a most welcome, peaceful getaway to relax and unwind in. We chose to stay at the resort to end our holiday and also to celebrate my 50th borthday and it was the perfect place to spend a special birthday. We received a free upgrade to a beach front villa and I also received a birthday cake on the evening of my birthday which we ate on the oatio of the villa, overlooking the ocean.
The rooms were spacious and kept immaculately clean, the buffet breakfast was plentiful and had a wide choice to suit most tastes. The spa was blissful and watching the sunsets from the balcony of the villa was magical.
One point to note, when travelling in Vietnam, don't leave you shopping until you get to Phu Quoc as there is nothing touristy there to buy.
Overall a perfect end to a perfect holiday in Vietnam and I can highly recommend the Chen Sea to unwind and relax.

Room Tip: Would recommend a beach front villa.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

“Dear MiniJames,
Thank you greatly for your wonderful review.

You enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea and this is making us so glad. I believe as well that you have been blessed for your birthday celebration.

I say so as since the 1st of May the Monsoon is hitting us quite substantially, so if you have enjoyed our usual wonderful sunsets, you have been blessed, smile…..

Then I would like to thank you as well on your comment about Shopping in Phu Quoc…. This wil help our readers, I hope. You are so right, don’t expect to shop while coming to Phu Quoc as you will be really disappointing. But you Shopping addicted travellers, be reassured that one day (I didn’t say when) you will have department stores in Phu Quoc…

To end my answer, I would like to highlight that yes, indeed, I am late answering to our dear Reviewers, and no, I wont stop answering, smile… Just that I took some vacations and answering on Trip Advisor is the only task that I do not delegate. So for you, all very curious readers, I inform you that during this break, I was on a mission. One task of this mission was to check if my dear friend Norman in Val d’Orcia was still the King of Margaritas. I confirm to you all, he is still the King. I may talk later of other tasks that I had to face.

Dear MiniJames, despite my delay answering you, I renew our most sincere thanks.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 4 nights and had a fabulous relaxing time. The resort lives up to the positive reviews you read and looks exactly like the website pics. We stayed in a sea view villa which was spacious, well maintained and very clean. The breakfast was great with a huge selection to cater for all tastes. The bar and food prices are higher than local cafes and bars. There is a great alternative for fresh local seafood and Vietnamese food just a short walk along the beach, Thuys House. We had 2 great lunches there and would highly recommend it for lunch or dinner. The owners of Thuys House, John and Thuy (pronounced twee) are terrific hosts and make you feel very welcome. This resort is in a remote location and you need to catch a cab into the town centre or to any shops or bars. The night market in Duong Dong is a must visit for a cheap seafood dinner. Ask reception at the resort to call a taxi for you. If you want some extra bottles of water, cold drinks etc walk outside the main entrance of the resort and about 50-100m down the road on the right is a motor cycle hire place which sells drinks etc.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa J
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear Lisa J,

Thank you so much for your review on our Chen Sea.
We are truly happy that you enjoyed it. Recently many Guests from down under did it as well.
All readers of this Forum will appreciate your comments.
Thank you once again, and kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.