“Stayed more than two weeks, very satisfied”

Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Oslo, Norway
“Stayed more than two weeks, very satisfied”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We (2 adults, kids age 3 and 6) stayed in a villa with a private pool. Having small kids, we had numerous meals at the hotel, and stayed there a lot. The dinner offering is average, but the breakfast very good indeed. Although there was no kids menu, our requests were accepted at once, and the kids were charged 50% of full price. Regarding complaints made by the most disgruntled guests at this resort, they can mostly be disregarded. Management made a point out of chatting with guests, and did it well. We requested technical help from staff on a couple of occasions, and got it promptly. Our kids loved the restaurant staff and reception staff, who were very friendly indeed. English mastery varies, but is hardly a big problem. Hot water was never an issue for us apart from when turning on more than one source at once.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jørund B
Olivier P P, Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Jorund B,

Thank you so much for your very nice review. We are very pleased with your comments on many different accounts.
First and foremost you are a Family and though we are a bit adult oriented, it clearly shows that the two different clientele can live together in harmony at the Chen Sea without any nuisance, given that the children are very well educated and care for, like yours.
We highly appreciate your comments as you came here for a long stay. This is a new orientation for us as Phu Quoc has always been understood as a station and not a Beach destination by itself.
Then the age of your children is really important. In fact your review should be understood as a clear message to all that yes it is safe to come to Phu Quoc, in a Resort like the Chen Sea, and that even young children are not at risk. So many Guests don’t dare to come with children who are soon to be teens!!!
Little hick up on the hot water will be tackled as we shall increase the capacity of the water heaters for more comfort in the Villas.

With our warmest thanks and regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed there with my girlfriend in March for 8 nights and were lucky enough to be upgraded to a jacuzzi beach view villa. The room was massive 150m2 with indoor and outdoor shower, bath tub and our own paddling pool and jacuzzi on our terrace overlooking the sea. The bed is really comfy, air con, tv, dvd player. Probably the best resort we've stayed at. The beach is not as nice as Sao Beach south of the island but much quieter as private to the resort and the staff cleaned it twice a day as we found out a lot of Vietnamese unfortunately dump their stuff anywhere and in the sea to.
We followed advice from reviews and had most our dinners at the night market, Sakura nearby or the two beach huts next to the resort. The food is good in the hotel but we didn't feel like having 3 meals a day in the same place for 8 days! The price in the resort are very expensive for vietnam but still reasonable for westerners, around 10-20 euros for a meal, 2 euros for a beer. The Spa is great too and ends up being around 20 euro for a 1h massage so still cheaper that some other resorts I tried around asia. Reading other reviews, yes this is premium prices for vietnam but still ok for a resort.
The staff was very friendly too.
If you're staying for a few days, I'd recommend John's Tour, takes you around the islands south of phu quoc for a day trip costing about 20 dollars.

The only things missing at the resort were for me
-The possibility of room service breakfast. It is served in the one restaurant until 10 am but we're not very good in the morning and it meant jumping out of bed every day to make it. I wouldn't mind paying a surcharge for coffee, juice and basic continental breaky in the room.
-A shop in the resort. The hotel is secluded which is great and relaxing but there's no way of getting any goods (snacks, drinks, suntan lotion or anything) unless getting a cab to town and back. Once again, I wouldn't mind paying extra in a resort shop to buy a bag of crisps or juice or a snack for the beach, ice cream etc. At present you have to go through the minibar (5 euros for Pringles...) or the restaurant to get any food or drink in the hotel.

Apart from that we had a dreamy week and we didn't want to leave! I'd recommend this hotel to anyone of any age.

Room Tip: Even the standard beach front villas are amazing, literally on the beach and very spacious with indo...
5 Thank Gerald Y
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Gerald Y,

Thank you for your very positive comments on our Resort and we love that you enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea.
Thank you as well to post it in English as more readers will catch it.
When it comes to your two suggestions I would like to say some words.
It is true that some Guests, infact very few, would appreciate the Breakfasts to be served in the room. This is legitimate and the reasons why it is not done are very technical. We need to set up a team, we need equipments, some quite substantial like a buggy, and we need to define which product and how to serve it. Just one issue would be the distances. You want your Breakfast in the room, but you would not like your coffee to be cold for example. So we are starting to work on this, and I am not sure if we could do this for next November 2013 as part of our three years improvement program. But for sure it is in the cards.
The Shop… A million times yes. This for sure will be ready in November 2013. This is a must and that’s it. This being said now our team from the Bar is scouting the Beach and the Pool every twenty minutes should you wish a drink or an ice cream. But we shall have the Shop for sure.
Down the line, a dreamy stay… This is why we exist, this is why we work hard, this is why we love our work.
To the pleasure welcoming you again.
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
Poole Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I had a jacuzzi suite, which was large and well equipped. The room is ecological and modern so has a gap between the roof and wall but that's great and akin to a lot of other hotels now. The bathroom enormous, but I personally do not like sunken baths but it looked great and worked well. The staff are great and very helpful and friendly. The pool is fabulous. The spa is great value compared with others. To read the reviews is farcical. It's what it wants - a 4/5 star hotel on an undeveloped island. Go before it changes.
The only downside was the air con in a large room is underpowered. Also there w poor choice of breakfast cereals( no fruit yogurts,muesli or granola ) and the food at buffets was a bit lacklustre.
All in al a lovely quiet resort.

Room Tip: Go for the jacuzzi suite for space
1 Thank Familydoctor
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
“Dear Family doctor,

Thank you so much for your nice review.
We are so glad that you enjoyed our Resort in this particularly undeveloped Island. So many people have no clue about where they arrive and have expectations that can’t be match in our environment. So I won’t comment on your overall assessment of the reviews as I must remain politically correct.

For the Buffet Breakfast, as we had three similar Guests Comments, we shall have the Muesli and we shall have fruit yogurts, but we’ll make it. We are proud to have fresh juices, or home made jams. So we’ll keep the style for this yogurt.

For the Buffet dinner, this too we shall work it when we’ll redo all our Menus and “A la carte” in May and June.
I am going to check this gap that you mention, as we plugged it last year with foam. So your comments means that something is wrong. And for the A/C you are fully right which is why we just bought 12 more powerful ones and we start to make the change. This is important for our Guests’ comfort.

With our renewed thanks.
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Very quiet areal made in feng shui style. Interesting design of bungalow. Bungalow was also very well equiped. Sea was calm but at that time - after rainy season - wasnt very clean. Areal is in the middle of nowhere - which we liked, because we like quiet and lonely resorts. so dont expect any night life - its very far from village. We really enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: Choose beach villa.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
“Dear Jaroslava S,

Thank you very much for your nice comment on us.
Very short review but very accurate.

Yes we are naturally Feng Xui, the monks confirmed it, smile….
Right again on the Sea; the Gulf of Thailand is not known for being the cleanest Sea in the world. When currents are not favorable we have to massively clean.

And absolutely right again, we have no entertainment or night life around… We have the National park around us! It is quiet here, a bit remote, but not too much. We are a kind of retreat heaven (for all you readers, I didn’t stay monastery or retirement village, smile…).
We are very glad that you enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea and we renew our

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed 5 nights in this resort and was really disapointed. First of all the price is so expensive for what you get. this is just a joke. I was expecting something really classy, and found a average resort with no charm.
The room was durty; unbelievable!!
The staff is friendly but the general manager Mr Petit is not professional at all, telling us so many bad stories about clients. (I was chocked)
The food is average quality and the italian cook not good.

The only nice thing is the private beach.

Room Tip: If you really want to go there, get the jacuzzi villa, probably the best, compare to the swimmingpoo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Guillaume P
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
“ Dear Guillaume P,

We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at the Chen Sea..
You felt this way and this is a pity. It is not as well easy to understand as you are saying the very opposite of what the majority of the reviewers are saying.

The same way that you say that I am not a professional after 40 years in this industry all over the world.

When it is coming to state that I say bad things about my guests, it does not make sense at all.
We have a quite substantial number of repeaters who come here because they are well taken care of. I spend three to six hours per day with my Guests and you are the first one in 18 months doing this kind of accusations especially as a Senior Reviewer.
Once again I am really sorry that you didn’t like our property.

Kind regards,
Olivier Petit, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Cenatara Boutique Collection.”
Saigon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Chen Sea 2 nights in the Jacuzzi room at $300/night. The jacuzzi water was yellow and didn't look clean at all. The staff was wonderful but the restaurant is limited for a resort charging this much, Wine list was also limited. Generally the facility does not compare to other $300/night resorts such as the Six Senses, etc. But can't say enough about the wonderful staff.

“Dear Nguyen Q,

I am so sorry that you didn’t like your stay. This is the end of the story you didn’t like it.
And for this we do apologize.

I wont comment on what you say about the price of our property, comparing us to Six Senses,
They don’t sell themselves at 300$, it is nearly funny. I just checked five minutes, and as I thought, and as my Guests say for those who go there too, the first available rate for this week is at 2000$ a night. So this does not make sense. Less expensive rooms at around 1000$ did not seem to be available on this Online Agent.

Wine is also limited you say. Well we have 52 wines listed and the Wine list reflects what our Guests wanted: good wines from all over the world at a decent price. Then we added the special cellar. Some Guests last year said to me that they were expecting some great bottles. As you know in Vietnam there is a 100% tax and great wines are really expensive. So we created the Special Cellar with 10 more bottles of great wines. We are talking at bottles around 92 to 94 with Parker. So we do not believe that with a choice of 62 different wines, our list is limited.

I am sorry for the Jacuzzi; we change the water everyday so it is strange that it turns yellow. If there is a problem it may turn green, but once again yellow is strange. It is a pity that you did not call on the Management as this would have been fixed in no time.
Well down the line you did not like you stay at the Chen Sea and we are really sorry for that.

Olivier, Your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

After a two week tour of Vietnam we needed some where nice to relax,this is the place!!!
The airport transfer went without a hitch.We had an early arrival,drinks and snacks were given by Olivier the manager,he runs the resort as if it were he's home.It was a very good first impression.We would have liked a beach front,but we were upgraded to a jaccusi, all good a really large set of rooms.
The staff go out of their way to know your names,we had not experinced this before,very welcoming,at our first dinner,my wife was given a birthday cake,a very nice gesture.Olivier's attention to detail is extra ordinary,every thing is there,you may think that the food by Vietnamise prices is high,but when you allow for a taxi to town and back,where you may not have the quality,the resort food cannot be faulted,Linda in the restaurant is really nice,her English is very good,as we're all the staff,we eat at Chen Sea all the time.
The beach is great, the rooms are fab,the staff are very friendly,what more could you ask,we must come again.
Roger & Irene...

2 Thank RogerIrene
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
“Dear RogerIrene,

You should see the smile on my face today….
I like when our Guests, beside experiencing the Resort, point out something for the first time.
This morning I had a training session with a future General Manager and I told him to manage his property like if it was his own. And this is exactly what I am doing. I feel this property is mine; I do not know what our Owning Company thinks about this, but this Resort is mine until my last day here. And I am glad that you felt this. I belong to the old school a bit, I must admit, and old Masters used to say that a Hotel needs a soul to reach its best, and only the General Manager can give it. This is what I try to do on a daily basis.

I sincerely thank you and I am waiting for your return.

Kindest regards,

Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection,”