“Not worth $300/night”

Ranked #6 of 98 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Saigon
“Not worth $300/night”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Chen Sea 2 nights in the Jacuzzi room at $300/night. The jacuzzi water was yellow and didn't look clean at all. The staff was wonderful but the restaurant is limited for a resort charging this much, Wine list was also limited. Generally the facility does not compare to other $300/night resorts such as the Six Senses, etc. But can't say enough about the wonderful staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
“Dear Nguyen Q,

I am so sorry that you didn’t like your stay. This is the end of the story you didn’t like it.
And for this we do apologize.

I wont comment on what you say about the price of our property, comparing us to Six Senses,
They don’t sell themselves at 300$, it is nearly funny. I just checked five minutes, and as I thought, and as my Guests say for those who go there too, the first available rate for this week is at 2000$ a night. So this does not make sense. Less expensive rooms at around 1000$ did not seem to be available on this Online Agent.

Wine is also limited you say. Well we have 52 wines listed and the Wine list reflects what our Guests wanted: good wines from all over the world at a decent price. Then we added the special cellar. Some Guests last year said to me that they were expecting some great bottles. As you know in Vietnam there is a 100% tax and great wines are really expensive. So we created the Special Cellar with 10 more bottles of great wines. We are talking at bottles around 92 to 94 with Parker. So we do not believe that with a choice of 62 different wines, our list is limited.

I am sorry for the Jacuzzi; we change the water everyday so it is strange that it turns yellow. If there is a problem it may turn green, but once again yellow is strange. It is a pity that you did not call on the Management as this would have been fixed in no time.
Well down the line you did not like you stay at the Chen Sea and we are really sorry for that.

Olivier, Your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

After a two week tour of Vietnam we needed some where nice to relax,this is the place!!!
The airport transfer went without a hitch.We had an early arrival,drinks and snacks were given by Olivier the manager,he runs the resort as if it were he's home.It was a very good first impression.We would have liked a beach front,but we were upgraded to a jaccusi, all good a really large set of rooms.
The staff go out of their way to know your names,we had not experinced this before,very welcoming,at our first dinner,my wife was given a birthday cake,a very nice gesture.Olivier's attention to detail is extra ordinary,every thing is there,you may think that the food by Vietnamise prices is high,but when you allow for a taxi to town and back,where you may not have the quality,the resort food cannot be faulted,Linda in the restaurant is really nice,her English is very good,as we're all the staff,we eat at Chen Sea all the time.
The beach is great, the rooms are fab,the staff are very friendly,what more could you ask,we must come again.
Roger & Irene...

2 Thank RogerIrene
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
“Dear RogerIrene,

You should see the smile on my face today….
I like when our Guests, beside experiencing the Resort, point out something for the first time.
This morning I had a training session with a future General Manager and I told him to manage his property like if it was his own. And this is exactly what I am doing. I feel this property is mine; I do not know what our Owning Company thinks about this, but this Resort is mine until my last day here. And I am glad that you felt this. I belong to the old school a bit, I must admit, and old Masters used to say that a Hotel needs a soul to reach its best, and only the General Manager can give it. This is what I try to do on a daily basis.

I sincerely thank you and I am waiting for your return.

Kindest regards,

Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection,”
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

A great place. If I were to be picky the only thing that could do with a refresh would be the furniture round the pool villas - all seemed to be tired as opposed to "rustic". That is a small niggle though and otherwise we couldn't fault it. The setting is beautiful and the choice of a private beach with sailing boats, kayaks, volleyball and other equipment for free use, or the gorgeous infitiy pool can leave one feeling spoilt. The nighttime turndown service is also a great little touch, and the stories that are left on yoru bed to read are great (even with their interesting quirks of translation). The beds are also amazingly comfortable and the pool villa rooms (especially when lit at night) are beautiful.

The biggest selling point is the staff though. They were all amazing and so keen to help, always with a smile too. Even the Manager, although we did not speak to him ourselves, was around and visible, making himself available should you wish to discuss something.

We stayed for five nights and came away relaxed, refreshed and rejuvinated - couldn't really ask for anything more!

“ Dear 999MarkL999,

It is difficult to explain the pleasure that a Hotelier can feel when reading such a review.
I thank you sincerely so much. It is obvious that you truly enjoyed experiencing the Chen Sea.
But what is awesome is that you found what was one of our best selling points. Yes it is our main asset.

This is our Team, growing in confidence, maturity and experience on a daily basis, and still keeping this huge smile.

Then I already took care of the little niggle. We shall receive nine sets of our Pool furniture, and I shall take care of the sunbeds.You are so right as it needs to be done.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again and as you said that we didn’t talk to each other (yes it happens, smile), I give you my email address to do so: Gmcpv@chr.co.th
I shall remain at your disposal should you wish anything from your Phu Quoc retreat.

Kind regards with our renewed thanks,

Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”
Holbæk
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The staff is very friendly. You get a feeling, that every staff member knows who you are, and what you are up to. They offer a few activities (boat trip, dinner on the pooldeck/beach, cooking class etc.) that are very nice, but a bit expensive compared vietnamese prices in general.

The spa is great og the food is nice as well.

There is a very nice relaxed atmosphere at the resort.

We have no complaints at all.

There is a nice and quite beach with beautiful sand and almost no rocks.

Room Tip: We resided in a bungalow, which was nice. There are only Bungalows and vilas. Every bungalow has a v...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Soeren A
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Soeren A,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments about the Chen Sea.

On a more personal level I am so pleased to read what you say about our employees.
Yes they know all the Guests. We define, at Centara, a Boutique Hotel as “Individual as you are”.
This is the spirit and this is why we encourage our Guests to share with us what do they really wish.
Then we do it. What is great is that by now, our employees start to reflect this Attitude. This is a great deal of achievement.

With our renewed thanks and kindest regards,
HCMC
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Chen Sea is one of our favorite beach places in Vietnam. We took our three young children and a big crowd of 10 extended family members there for 5 days. It was a real treat for us. The welcoming staff from the airport were excellent and made our trip to the hotel shorter. We arrived early but they even got the rooms ready for us. We loved our beach front rooms, which cost less than the Jacuzzi villas but a lot more convenient for the children. I strongly recommend the beach fronts for families with kids as the children can enjoy the lawn and the sand at the same time. One tip: ask the housekeepers to do mosquito spray as soon as you leave the room for dinner so that your children don't be suffocated by the spray when you get back.
Our children loved the sea water pool, which I think it was a bit muddy. Don't know why but the water was not as clear as the ocean water. Our kids also enjoyed the free activities provided by the sport center: kayaking, snorkeling, yachting ... It would have been better if they provided kites, flying dishes, sand toys .... (which are much cheaper than a yacht or kayaks for sure) for our younger children. Also, I wish they would not remove all the cushions from the swings, swinging bed, and the hammock away before 5pm, when they children came out to play the most.
Our family gave excellent points for the Spa. They really did a fantastic professional job there. The food was good. We enjoyed talking with the staff in the restaurant too. Special thanks to Cong (Sport Center) and Can (Restaurant) who have made our vacation there a memorable vacation. Overall they staff were great. Thank you. We will definitely see you soon.

Room Tip: Beach Front Villas are the best. If you cannot get them, then Sea View would be the second.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PhamilyHcmc
Dear PhamilyHcmc

But for you it will be Dear President.
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments in this Forum.
And thank you for all these little constructive comments, especially for the Beach and the clearing.
Clearing is already taken care of and when it comes to the murky pool, yes indeed we found our two problems which caused that.
We apologize that it took so long to find the problems but we managed to take care of it and it is back to crystal blue.
We have also conveyed to the two named employees your comments, as this is a great support to our actions.

Dear President, you already know that we are all ready to welcome you again, and I hope that your lovely daughters will bug you enough so to have the pleasure to see you before next year, smile…..
By the way did you find the GM’s shirts?
Please accept our most sincere thanks and our kindest regards to all of you.
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Chen Sea was the perfect end to a month long travel experience in Thailand, Burma, Cambodia and Vietnam. We wanted a quiet, "away-from-the-crowds" kind of space, a place to pause and refresh after days of travel and a pretty hectic travel pace. The Chen Sea Resort was everything we had hoped for and then some.
From the smile and the cold bottle of water at our airport pick up to our immaculate villa on the beach it was an awesome treat. The setting and the environment is just as the website advertised it. Comfortable, private and luxurious. We had planned to visit the town and travel around the island but gave up those ideas for more time on the beautiful beach and in the hammock, an extra spa treatment and enjoying cocktails in the sunsets and there were enough water sport toys available if we wanted to be more active. The food was terrific with lots of choice and the dinner buffets were elaborate, creative, local, fresh and authentic. And we've asked the chef for a couple of his special recipes. The service was quietly attentive and personal. We give the Resort, Olivier and Eric and their staff the very highest marks and all the credit for making our stay so perfect. We've added Chen Sea to our favourite beach resorts list even though its a long way to go.

Room Tip: A Beach Front Villa is a worthwhile indulgence
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear RandBontheroad,

This review smells of the other side of Pacific, smile…

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and compliments.
You know how much we love to please our Guests. Your comments is our reward.

You really enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea. But don’t you think that this experience is more related to pleasure and well being rather than Luxury? I have shared with you my issue with Luxury in our environment; it will take ages to be able to provide Luxury here. What is important is the lifestyle that we do offer to our Guests make them feel real good.

I agree with you it takes a long time to cross the Pacific, but we are waiting for you. I do not remember if I sent you my email!!!
Please do contact me to return: gmcpv@chr.co.th

With our warm thanks and kind regards,
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We saved Chen Sea until the last leg of our vigorous Vietnam trip and it was the right decision - from the moment we were greeted at the airport we were treated like royalty. The resort is just how it looks in the pictures - luxurious but still maintaing its Vietnamese heritage and taking full advantage of its beautficul seascape.

The rooms were spacious and modern, with comfortable beds and good air conditioning (which was very welcome in the humid climes of Phu Quoc). The bathroom had a rustic al fresco theme which I found very fitting for the location, and the outdoor bath was magnificent - do take advantage of it. Our view of the sea, which was about 10m away, was slightly obscured by the beach villa in front but it was still a very welcome sight each morning.

The private beach was kept pristine throughout our stay, although a violent storm one evening did manage to bring half of Vietnam's waste disposal to our shores. However the staff worked very hard to clear this up and the matter was resolved within a few hours. We were fortunate that it was not very busy at the time of our stay so we felt that we had the sea to ourselves a lot of the time. The infinity pool was also stunning, and we spent a lot of time at its edge gazing over the China Sea.

Breakfast was an unbelievable feast, with every type of cuisine you can imagine, even cheesecake! We generally found that a generous breakfast would keep us going until dinner, which we normally had in town for a bit of variety.

Getting to town by motor boat was a really exhilerating experience and a great way to see the contour of the island - we had to book in advance to use it but did so most nights as we wanted to immerse ourselves in the local culture. The food markets in Phu Quoc are truly fantastic, and we found a beautiful bar on the beach where we sipped cocktails each evening as we watched the sun go down. Actually it was quite difficult to find decent cocktails on the island (including at the resort, where they are slightly weak and overpriced) so once you do, don't look back!

We enjoyed every minute of our stay at Chen Sea and would love to go back one day - it was a truly relaxing oasis with very attentive staff, great food, and beautiful surroundings. There is a real sense that the owner has created a resort that he himself would want to spend time in, so a lot of attention has been paid to every detail. This was an idyllic island escape - go before the rest of the world discovers it!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bee_Gebhardt
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Bee_Gebhardt,

I do not comment on reviews which are quite “old” in time but I wanted to thank you for your very nice comments.
You have truly enjoyed your experience with us.
And by the way your last comment on the Owner is 100% true, smile….

Kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Cenatara Boutique Collection.