“Chen Sea Phu Quoc”

Ranked #6 of 98 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Sydney, Australia
“Chen Sea Phu Quoc”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

A brilliant resort - facilities were the perfect balance to blend in with the idyllic nature of this island whilst still providing all the mod cons. Service from the staff was genuine, accomodating & always of great assistance. The environment was beautiful & even though we caught a lot of the heavy rain from the monsoon we didn't get cabin fever staying on site (we booked a Jacuzzi Villa). The island itself is fairly quiet so not a huge amount to explore so don't expect to be partying till dawn! The rooms were lovely, very spacious & inviting. The beds were a bit soft for our liking however then again you cant please everyone!

Room Tip: Only 36 villas & all seem to have a beautiful vantage point. We splurged & got the jacuzzi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Georgie607,

What a wonderful comment, and we thank you dearly.

Yes indeed the end of the monsoon has been particularly harsh, and I am so glad to see that some guests did manage to enjoy our peace and facilities without entering into a massive depressive state.

We are introducing the pillow menu, but we can’t introduce the mattress menu. So as I said before choice was on medium mattresses and sometimes it does not fit all.

With our most sincere thanks and kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Paris
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed three nights at the Chen Sea resort and had a very confortable stay despite some heavy rain. Amenities are really worth the price. Service is at the level of a premium resort even if some staff struggle with the English language. We enjoyed the boutique decoration of the room, the very nice private veranda with bathtube. The bathroom with shower opening on the outside is another delight.
We would definitely recommend this resort and having quickly visited the other hotels, we would rate it as the best or one of the best in Phu Quoc.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank MarsParis
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear MarsParis,

Peaceful retreat indeed… Thank you so much for your very nice positive comments.
We prefer to believe that we are one of the best hotels in Phu Quoc, and yes we are aiming at the top.
But as you all know, so many things to be polished first.

I am glad that you appreciated our clean beach. Recently a guest walked to town by the shore, only one hour, and when he was back he said to me that he understood the work it takes to ensure that our beach is pristine. It is a lot of work, but the result is so superb.

When I go away for a mission or a break and then I come back, I look at the property from the terrace of the Restaurant, and the same words come to my mind: “I love my office and this beach is a jewel”.

With our most sincere thanks and regards.
Manchester
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

After a long journey from the uk we arrived at chen sea and spa for a 4 night stay in a seaview villa. We were picked up at the airport and taken to swiftly to the resort. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted and served cold drinks and fresh fruit whilst they checked us in. From when we arrived till the moment we left the staff were incredible. You are basically waited on hand on foot and every thought and effort is made to make you feel totally relaxed e.g chocolates delivered to the room every night, room changed twice a day, a letter 24 hours before departure detailing your bill and when your bags will be collected and you will be taken to the airport. As for the resort it is absolutely beautiful and decorated so it feels very in touch with the island. Our seaview villa was gorgeous with a beatiful outdoor bath perfect for watchin the sun go down. And the Spa and restaurant were fantastic too - maybe a little more expensive than the rest of vietnam but you certainly get what you pay for. The only slight downside is its a good 20 mins into town so you are a bit away from everything but for us it was perfect as we wanted total tranquility. This place is a must for honeymooners or couples who want some romance.

• Stayed October 2012
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear mancmark,

Thank you so much for your very nice comments.
And yes indeed, we are a must for Honeymooners and romance in general.

We are a bit remote but this is why we are your “hidden paradise”.
By the way, only few do it, but to walk to town takes one hour by the beach and you arrive at Night Market.

We are very glad that you enjoyed our Hospitality and we thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

the weather is terrible due to the monsoon. raining day and night but it just couldn't wash away any of the great aspects abt this hotel! the hotel is rather quiet because it is not peak seaon; i suppose that it wouldn't be crowd even during high season since there are only 30 something villa. great getaway destination from my point of view:
1 - hard to find a place where i don't hear any chinese word (i'm from HK so of coz i won't discriminate but this kind of tranquility is rare...) -i believe this hotel is not yet famous in the chinsse community.
2 - not many kids; i don't see as a family type resort anyway
3 - though there are other hotels nearby, you practically don't see them and you would see no
outsider other than hotel guests and staffs
4 - staffs are super friendly and helpful but you are never disturbed while you are not in need of them
5 - great food with flexible kitchen; they can make food your way as long as they have the resources.
6 - nice pool
7 - long coast line
8 - good for value
i will definitely come back in a better season!

drawback: the roads here are not well constructed on most part of the island. though everyone here says i can ride a scooter to visit but the muddy and bumpy road is not convincing to me at all so i chose to stay in the hotel to enjoy the tranquility.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear kumabearlam,

It does not happen often, but yes I did laugh reading your comments.
Indeed you are right, Phu Quoc is not yet a destination for the Chinese market.
Very few are coming to us, always appreciative of the environment.

There is no kids in the property when it is not school vacations.

Then I would love to know who told you to ride a scooter while I spend my time telling my guests not to do it.
It is dangerous on a daily basis, but during the monsoon, dangerous is not an accurate word anymore!!!

Well if I understood you well, you will come back at a later stage when the monsoon won’t be at its worse.
You will be a bit surprised and I am sure that you will enjoy the Chen Sea experience even more.
But a gentle reminder of a Chen Sea rule: a Guest coming back calls on the GM.
So please do let me know and I shall take care of everything for you.

Thank you so much.
Utrecht, Netherlands
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Lovely room and very kind people. But after traveling through Vietnam we were amazed by the prices they ask for the food: very high! The resort is a little bit to far from the village to eat out easily, so we did ate at the resort almost every day. But we enjoyed our stay at Chen Sea very much, despite the (very) expensive foodprices.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janny v
Dear Janny v,

Thank you for your nice comments on your stay in our Resort.
We are glad you liked it.

Once again I am still amazed by your feeling of (very) expensive food prices.
You stayed in September 2012, and then, as I was not there at the closure of the month, I went through our Average Check per Lunch and per Dinner.

Lunch average over a month is 12$; this price includes the beverage, the Tax of 10% and the Service Charge of 5%.
Dinner average over a month is 24$; same conditions.

So really, how this pricing could be perceived as (very) expensive, is a bit beyond my understanding.
At 24$, you can even not get a Buffet Breakfast in a 4* in Europe. We are talking about 20 Euros.
We have redone our “A La Carte Menu” and we have squeezed the rates so much to make it affordable.
This is why I said that it is beyond my understanding.
I wish to understand why our guests who can eat for few dollars in the street, expect us to have the same rates.

I am really sorry for that. It is true that it did not affect your feeling about your property, but still I am sad that you felt that way.

Thank you for your overall positive comments.

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently spent 7 amazing nights at Chen Sea on Phu Quoc Island. I want to give you a little info about the island before discussing the resort.

Phu Quoc is not like Koh Samui, Hawaii or Tahiti. It is a very small, underdeveloped island that is extremely new to the tourist scene. It's incredibly beautiful, charming, exotic and very Vietnamese (as you would expect in Vietnam, but some don't seem to get that. Weird.)

As Oliver, the manager and our new friend put it, if you are looking for a lavish nightlife, excellent shopping or any of the other Western type tourist attractions, Chen Sea is not for you. If however, you are looking for the most beautiful, relaxing, zen-like retreat on the Island, or in all of Vietnam for that matter, this is your place.

The staff is always smiling and eager to practice their english. Did you know that until recently, it was illegal to even speak English in Vietnam? Keep this in mind before getting frustrated or raising your voice. These are amazingly hard working people who want nothing more than to do well, please their guests and improve their english.

They are also very honest. I have a bit too much Hanoi Vodka one night and left my cell phone and shoes in the lobby. They late night security guard returned them to me the very next day.

It is worth noting that the chef is out of this world! Take the cooking class with him and you will get a tour of the market that is truly unforgettable.

All in all, I could have easily stayed here another week.

If you are visiting Phu Quoc, you have to stay here.

Room Tip: Go for the beach front, they are literally on the sand and very private.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Tyler B
Dear Tyler B,

OMG you are singing too as per your picture!!! As we have no entertainment, I would have asked you to sing one evening, smile….

Tyler, thank you so much as your comments feel like an I.V. of warmth in my blood.
I am a Hotelier, in fact we are in the family since 1887, and I am proud to be one. After 40 years the pleasure and energy are still alive and kicking.
So when a Guest like you, and your brother, is enjoying our Hospitality it makes us feel so good. This is Nirvana…

Thank you for your nice words on our employees. Yes they do work hard, yes they learn a lot so to improve, yes they remain friendly beyond the pressure, yes they want to perform. This is the new attitude that we have set up at the Chen Sea, and with this achievement after a year for me, we can go to the next step of improvement of our quality so to follow my program.

Tyler my friend, as soon as you get married, you better come here with your wife or I am going to be very upset at you.
You only have a little idea on how we could pamper you both…

With my most sincere kind regards,
Olivier, your friend and GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you are looking to get away, and want a relaxing first class resort in south Vietnam, this is the place.
Staff is awesome. Oliver, General Manager is a 'hands on' Manager, who truly cares about the time your having and the comments you have. Tao the Head Chef, is truy amazing. The food qyality and choices are great. This is a resort to go and relax at, if your looking for the hectic City, this might not be the place. There is one bar, and one restaurant, besides pool service and room service. So don't go looking for a lot of options! You really don't need them. The staff is great, and they try really hard to understand english. Remember, you are in Vietnam!
Ocean Front rooms are awesome. We were there seven nights. Could have stayed much longer!! This resort, makes Vietnam proud!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear LBGreg and T (smile)…

Thank you so much for your support, thank you so much for your compliments and thank you for having chosen to stay with us.

Yes you did enjoy your stay, though the weather was… let’s say Monsoon like!!!

It was a true pleasure to take care of you. We love when guests come to us with an open mind, and I should say a warm opened heart.

You spent your entire stay enjoying every moment of it.

We truly hope that we’ll have the pleasure to welcome you again.

I apologize but I have to say it: Greg do you mind to buy for T one of those mobile phone cases that you hang around your neck!!!!

By the way our Security Officer got his Honesty Award and Reward.

With our renewed warmest thanks,