Nha San Cottage
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc(Phu Quoc Island)
$195
$176
Hotels.com
Daisy Resort(Duong Dong)
$75
$66
Agoda.com
Vinpearl Phu Quoc Resort(Phu Quoc Island)
$128
$40
$112
$104
Hotels.com
Phu Van Resort(Duong Dong)
$52
$43
$39
$38
$70
$45
$37
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We cannot disagree more with most of the reviews below. Mai Spa/Nha San was a real disappointment. We booked one of the sea view bungalows for USD105 per night - the most we had spent on a hotel during our 2 week stay in Vietnam. Upon arrival we didn't receive a particularly warm welcome and when we asked for a drink, all we got was a drink of water - no offer of anything else.

The wooden bungalow itself was poorly built. It offered no privacy due to the fact that we could here every single noise made by our neighbours above and next door. There was little chance of sleeping in as we could even hear people deodorising upstairs!!!
Apparently Mai Spa doesn't have a back-up generator, which most hotels in Phu Quoc have (and need). Therefore, for 2/3 of our stay, we were without A/C at night, which wasn't very pleasant. In addition, very little separated us from our neighbours whilst we were showering and visiting the toilet. The bathroom was outside and from the toilet we could see our neighbours drinking beer on the patio - there was no wall, but only a rattan blind!

We have stayed in a range of hotels during our holiday, including really basic hotels in the Mekong Delta. However, all of these hotels apart from Mai Spa cleaned the room/toilet and made the bed each day. On the first day with Mai Spa this didn't happen - we weren't even provided with extra toilet rolls. This was clearly an oversight on their part, but for USD105 you would really expect more!

The whole management was extremely disorganised. We booked a moped through Mai Spa, but the first one broke down twice, the second replacement got a flat tyre and it was only the third that we could use. For each moped we were left to negotiate price/payment with the moped owners - Mai Spa didn't help us out at all. We couldn't even book a massage without complications.

The lady who seemed to manage the place was very pleasant, and did discount our room as compensation. However, if the owner wants to charge these inflated prices, he needs to invest more of his own time in managing the place (I understand he has left PQ for Saigon). For the time being, the owner should be ashamed of himself for charging such inflated prices, and for creating a website that entirely misrepresents what the hotel actually looks like and delivers.

ps there isn't a restaurant as per some of the reviews below

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank karenlsanders
Reviewed October 29, 2009

It's too expensive and neither a Spa in an
international sense (they gave the titel themself)
nor a Resort, just some wooden house.
It's just a a rip-off !
1) There no bungalows, just wooden houses in highland style,
no Teak wood !
Just rooms, where you can here all neighbours noise and
speaking, even snoring. The garden is nice.
2) The owner Mr Jean-Claude, a professional therapeut isn't there, he is working in Thailand and leased his small cottage to a Vietnamese woman, who is
neither a doctor, nor a professional masseur, nor did she
study natural healing. Only Mr Jean Claude and his wife
an orthopedist in Saigon has all the skills for natural healing.
There are no TCM doctor (traditional chinese medicine) at
Mai Spa but only some semiskilled girls without any degree
and any reference.
It's big insolence and great swindle there.
3)They have no restaurant there only a kitchen where local
semiskilled woman (the same who do the Thai Massage)
are cooking distasteful and boring food like everywhere
on Phu Quoc. They uses cheap ingredients and a lot
monosodium glutamate.
They cannot cook special vegetarian dishes !
4) They don't like children !
The first place in Vietnam, where the boss didn't like children !
The boss is a woman !
We are very dissapointed to read all these adverts in the web for a place like that.
The atmosphere could be quite nice, if they would tell the truth. But for this price, no !
Please check this place !

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank berlinercharme
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I have to say how much I loved my stay at Mai Spa. Ms Oanh and Mr Y (ee) were most helpful and friendly. The place feels more like an ashram than a hotel. With the spas as well it was an experience that I will never forget

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Nha San Cottage is special place relative to others I have stayed at on Phu Quoc. It was my 4th trip to Vietnam and while there are new places each time I visit, the accomodations on Phu Quoc still vary wildly in quality. My last trip to Phu Quoc was in the depressing cement of the Kim Hoa resort.

The hotel is beautiful, charming, romantic, well run and very unique for the island.
Rooms are spacious and well appointed. We got the lower cost rooms in the back cottage and they were a great value. We did need to request a fan as there is no air conditioning. The ocean front rooms looked amazing and I would select those if your budget and availability allow.

The beach is well maintained and free of rubbish, not always the case in Phu Quoc. The sunbeds were comfortable and the staff were very happy to bring snacks and cocktails to you on the beach. Alternatively, the restaurant was a nice repreive from the sun sometimes as well. It was relaxing and quiet, pure heaven.

The massage was a true Thai massage and professionally done.

The food in the restaurant was very good. It was on the pricey side but well worth it. We tried several restaurants near the hotel and Captain Skewers was the best we came across. We hosted friends from another well known resort and they agreed it was better than what they had seen as well.

What put Nha San Cottage over the top was the care of the whole staff, and in particular the owner Phillipe and his wife Bich. We had a motorbike accident while staying at Nha San and I cannot begin to say enough about how kind and helpful they were. They went with us to the hospital, translated (and bullied when necessary) the staff and doctors, helped us get the necessary supplies from outside the hospital (yes, you bring your own) and did whatever they could to help. When we decided to go immediately back to Saigon for surgery, they went to the airport and helped us beg our way onto a full flight. And oh yeah, they arranged for the motorbike to be fixed by a third party that was much cheaper than what the rental agency was going to charge us. It was a very difficult situation and I do not know how we would have made it through without them.

I highly recommend Nha San. We loved it in good health and were so grateful to it when we were in trouble. Can't wait to make up those lost days spent instead in a Saigon hospital.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jojostarbuck
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I tried to book Nha San in advance and was told via email that in order to secure the room I would have to send a Wire Transfer to a bank in Ho Chi Minh City. I was sent a form which i had filled out and almost sent but when I emailed a few more questions I was suddenly told that all of the rooms were booked!
As international wire transfers can take up to a week to go through I would have been totally screwed if I had actually sent it through already. I was given no indication that this could possibly happen and told them that I definitely wanted the room.
We wound up staying at an amazing place that took a credit card to hold the room as most hotels in the 21st century will do.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family