“so sad”
Review of Rang Dong Hotel

Rang Dong Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 My Tho B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before and raved about its location , beer garden , but alas this has all but disappeared, they are putting in a foreshore , i think so the best attractions are gone , the restaurant and beer garden ,
Also the hotel is even more run down also , dont attempt to get in without a passport !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rubbish place !!!!!!!!!rude and unhelpful

Room Tip: good review sites
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thehornyfox

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Hotel is good hotel... but when you arrive It is important which you go inside in the hotel ... You do not speak to the men outside which want to sell you tour or minibus to saigon.
They have sold us a minibus direct to saigon but it was not true,. They left us on the street and they have stopped a bus for us a line bus which gone to the saigon bus station very far from the saigon centre.... So we payed 4 $ for a service that does not exist.... and we would could take the same bus for less of 1$...
You do not speak with the men outside are not good people

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2012

what can one say average hotel but a wonderful location based on the river .
a great beer garden .restaurant is also good staff do trie to help .beer is generally cold

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I spent 2 nights in Me Tho and enjoyed my stay. I wouldn't have stayed longer, as there is not much to do. The hotel is well located. It has a little brother, called Rang Dong II, which is actually better, and it is this one that I particularly recommend. Located just by the river, you hear the wind coming from the delta, and I loved it. There is a nice restaurant in the garden facing the river. Rooms are spacious, a little old fashioned.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Im not sure if my friends and I were given a bad floor to stay on - but between the two rooms the 'bathroom' consisted of a disgusting filthy toilet, a nozzle for a 'shower' and no proper bedding. The 'towels' were thread bare - my teatowels at home would dry better! And one of the rooms was so mouldy smelling. Im surprised by the other reviews here ... maybe we were given the worst rooms. Looks lovely outside - do not be deceived! Even my Vietnemese friends were shocked at the state of it and thats saying something. Staff definitely not 'charming' as advertised on their business card - quite the contrary!

Room Tip: I'd advise you to view the room before you commit
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights as part of a motorbike tour round the Mekong Delta. The hotel is right on the river, with large rooms and a good restaurant attached (English menus - few and far between in My Tho).

We found the hotel to be quite a way out of the centre of town where most bars and restaurants are, however there isn't a huge amount to see in My Tho so not a big problem.

The rooms are pretty basic, however this goes along with the price. The towels provided were threadbare and didn't look very clean and so we used our own during the stay. We also encountered the travel agent offering the boat trip as below reviewers have. I have to agree that the boat tour is a rip off and you would be better off using a tour not arranged through the hotel.

Overall, not a bad place for a cheap stay, but you will probably want to keep your stay short.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cundlemons
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Please note that this review is for Rang Dong 2. It sounds like the same hotel as reviewed here, situated on the river.

We stayed here for one night because our taxi driver pretended not to understand where we asked him to take us. He stopped the taxi at the Rang Dong and the travel agent greeted us and gave us the virtues of the hotel. We asked the taxi driver once again to take us to the hotel we asked for but he just stared blankly. Realising we were not getting anywhere we decided to stay just for the night while we worked out our Mekong trip. The hotel as usual asked for our passports and we thought just to photocopy and hand back, but they were put in the draw and we we're told we could have them back when we checked out. This is apparently standard practice in north Vietnam, but the BIG rule of thumb is never ever give your passports to anyone. Now we keep photocopies to give them, and so far no problems with this. We firmly asked for them back and went outside to phone the other hotel and arrange for a taxi. The other hotel also wanted to keep our passports so we we're considering going back to the bus station to leave for Can Tho. The travel agent followed and repeatedly asked us to stay at his house for the same price, we politely declined. He went into the hotel and came back to tell us that they would let us stay and we could keep our pp's. Also saying that he could arrange a Mekong trip for us that afternoon. We decided to give this a go as it meant that the next day we could continue on to Can Tho which he said we would arrange for us included in the price of the Mekong trip.
His English is good and he spoke as if he was taking us and then when it came time introduced us to his uncle, a very nice man, who did his best to communicate and did a wonderful job of taking us to the various islands.
Be wary of the restaurant on Turtle Island that is not very good, I cannot recommend as they charged us 750, 000 dong for a sparse set menu including the elephant fish that was supposed to be very tasty and was not, and a bowl of greens, noodles and rice papers to make your own spring rolls and a couple of drinks. The elephant fish they farm there so the expense doesn't cut it.
If you go on this trip ask for restaurant options and ask for prices before you order if no written menu is available.

We enjoyed a lot of the trip, particularly the traditional music, well worth the trip alone. Also seeing naturally passive bees and the most amazing honey we have tasted.
The next morning we were told that we were being taken to the bus station by motor bike and that was the final straw and I let him know. He then called a taxi for us but we had to pay for it. He came with us to the bus station and introduced us to a man who would make sure we got on the bus. We eventually did so he kept his word with this and we appreciated that.
The hotel is old, charming and well kept and reasonably clean rooms. The boat trip we had was good, but do check prices from other agents beforehand and check all details of the arrangement before parting with money, especially the choice of restaurants available.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple