“Utter crap”

Ranked #7 of 19 My Tho B&B and Inns
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Utter crap”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Im not sure if my friends and I were given a bad floor to stay on - but between the two rooms the 'bathroom' consisted of a disgusting filthy toilet, a nozzle for a 'shower' and no proper bedding. The 'towels' were thread bare - my teatowels at home would dry better! And one of the rooms was so mouldy smelling. Im surprised by the other reviews here ... maybe we were given the worst rooms. Looks lovely outside - do not be deceived! Even my Vietnemese friends were shocked at the state of it and thats saying something. Staff definitely not 'charming' as advertised on their business card - quite the contrary!

Room Tip: I'd advise you to view the room before you commit
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights as part of a motorbike tour round the Mekong Delta. The hotel is right on the river, with large rooms and a good restaurant attached (English menus - few and far between in My Tho).

We found the hotel to be quite a way out of the centre of town where most bars and restaurants are, however there isn't a huge amount to see in My Tho so not a big problem.

The rooms are pretty basic, however this goes along with the price. The towels provided were threadbare and didn't look very clean and so we used our own during the stay. We also encountered the travel agent offering the boat trip as below reviewers have. I have to agree that the boat tour is a rip off and you would be better off using a tour not arranged through the hotel.

Overall, not a bad place for a cheap stay, but you will probably want to keep your stay short.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cundlemons
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Please note that this review is for Rang Dong 2. It sounds like the same hotel as reviewed here, situated on the river.

We stayed here for one night because our taxi driver pretended not to understand where we asked him to take us. He stopped the taxi at the Rang Dong and the travel agent greeted us and gave us the virtues of the hotel. We asked the taxi driver once again to take us to the hotel we asked for but he just stared blankly. Realising we were not getting anywhere we decided to stay just for the night while we worked out our Mekong trip. The hotel as usual asked for our passports and we thought just to photocopy and hand back, but they were put in the draw and we we're told we could have them back when we checked out. This is apparently standard practice in north Vietnam, but the BIG rule of thumb is never ever give your passports to anyone. Now we keep photocopies to give them, and so far no problems with this. We firmly asked for them back and went outside to phone the other hotel and arrange for a taxi. The other hotel also wanted to keep our passports so we we're considering going back to the bus station to leave for Can Tho. The travel agent followed and repeatedly asked us to stay at his house for the same price, we politely declined. He went into the hotel and came back to tell us that they would let us stay and we could keep our pp's. Also saying that he could arrange a Mekong trip for us that afternoon. We decided to give this a go as it meant that the next day we could continue on to Can Tho which he said we would arrange for us included in the price of the Mekong trip.
His English is good and he spoke as if he was taking us and then when it came time introduced us to his uncle, a very nice man, who did his best to communicate and did a wonderful job of taking us to the various islands.
Be wary of the restaurant on Turtle Island that is not very good, I cannot recommend as they charged us 750, 000 dong for a sparse set menu including the elephant fish that was supposed to be very tasty and was not, and a bowl of greens, noodles and rice papers to make your own spring rolls and a couple of drinks. The elephant fish they farm there so the expense doesn't cut it.
If you go on this trip ask for restaurant options and ask for prices before you order if no written menu is available.

We enjoyed a lot of the trip, particularly the traditional music, well worth the trip alone. Also seeing naturally passive bees and the most amazing honey we have tasted.
The next morning we were told that we were being taken to the bus station by motor bike and that was the final straw and I let him know. He then called a taxi for us but we had to pay for it. He came with us to the bus station and introduced us to a man who would make sure we got on the bus. We eventually did so he kept his word with this and we appreciated that.
The hotel is old, charming and well kept and reasonably clean rooms. The boat trip we had was good, but do check prices from other agents beforehand and check all details of the arrangement before parting with money, especially the choice of restaurants available.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank photonomads
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2011

What a gorgeous gem of a place right on the river, huge comfy rooms and great service within. The boat travel seller man outside was such a disappointment as we were constantly bombarded by him and followed around town by him and also lied to about the boat tours and buses to Can Tho, etc. The place is a little way from town but the restuarant infront on the water is great with good service. The moto mafia are EVERYWHERE in My Tho so avoid them like the plague by using cyclo's and walking. The non-moto driver locals are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We stayed here on a trip through the Mekong. The room was ok but the shower electrocuted us and the complimentary water was 5000 dong per bottle... but no sign to tell us this was in the room.

We booked a tour around the islands with Chung who was the resident travel agent... the tour was ok but he sold it to us with him as the english speaking guide, then saddled us with an elderly gentleman who was lovely but could barely speak let alone understand what we were asking him.

We were then lied to the next day about local buses to our next destination and taken by motorbike to a cafe in the middle of highway one where a prearranged mate of the travel agent picked us up and charged us 4 times more than we should have paid... not exactly vietnamese hospitality at its best...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these My Tho hotels

Asia
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I have stayed in My Tho a number of times before and lived in Ben Tre in 2005. I know the area well.This time I stayed for Tet at the Rang Dong and was very impressed. For the price its one of the best deals in Vietnam. Decent beds, decent shower, quite, safe, the restaurant has great and cheap food looking out at the river and all of its life. I had room on the 3rd floor and could look out my window at the river and new bridge. What I wasn't expecting was the best in room wireless internet I have ever had in SE Asia,good connection and FAST (for Vietnam)!!! I wish I could get all of this in SGN for the same price.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
North California
Reviewed September 13, 2009

This is a great little hotel right on the river. It is at the end of a little alley, so may be hard to find. If you do find it, I think you will appreciate the nice value.

I liked the laid-back but courteous service. The staff was friendly, though not in the outpouring way that is common to Vietnamese hotels. I find that to be an advantage -- I can better relax when the staff is relaxed!

The best feature was the balconies that run along the rooms and connected at the stairway platforms. It was a nice and cool place to hang out, meet other guests, and soak in the river views.

My room was a little on the spare side. It was spacious, but otherwise nothing special. I could not get the A/C to work. Still, given the good price, it met expectations.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo