“Good, clean and underpriced”
Review of Sansabai House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nakhon Ratchasima
Sansabai House
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This hotel/hostel appeared as a top choice in several guidebooks/forums, was stated as underpriced for the facilities they offer. Checked it out and it turned out to be very true. Paid THB 300 for a fan room (visited in Dec n weather was rather chilly, in fact didn't even use the fan at night). Very clean and well-maintained, simple queen-sized bed, had a TV that included a wide range of channels, from movies to financial news. Only drawback was that the room did not have a water heater (which was quite significant if you visited at year-end when weather becomes quite cold). My room was located on the fifth and highest floor so I had to do some climbing but did not think that it was any much of a big deal.

In total, stayed there for 3 nights as I used that place as a hub to visit the temple ruins in Phimai, Phanom Rung and Sukhoraphum. The staff was very kind in giving you directions on how to go to the historical parks at Phimai and Phanom Rung via their local bus, which is very cheap. All in all, as a budget traveller, I thought that THB 300 was quite expensive considering my previous accommodation to be not more than THB 200-250, but after seeing the facilities and cleanliness, I thought the price was more than worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank minhao87

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our great value en-suite room on the top floor of this quiet hotel was spacious, neat and clean with a comfortable double bed, fan, fridge with free water, TV and small balcony. English is limited but our booking made by email and reconfirmed 2 days before arrival worked well.

There's a small selection of drinks and snacks available in the lobby, plus a 7/11, cafe and English pub nearby; excellent food stalls on the main street and at the nearby Chinese temple. It's 10-15 minutes walk to the market, and 5 minutes to the old bus station. A great find.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2013

There is a big advertisement outside Sansabai House: "Free Wi-Fi" (see the photo). I asked at the desk if the free wi-Fi was working in the room and the young lady told me there was free Wi-Fi in all the guest house. As I wanted and needed free wi-fi, it was an important point in my decision to sleep here.

The single fan room was at the 5th floor, without lift: 80 stairs, nobody offered me to take my suitcase. The room has nothing special, the balcony - if you can call it a balcony - is tiny and you cannot smoke on it or you'll have to pay 2 000 bahts, the bed is badly placed in the middle of the room, and the switch light is several meters far from it. There is a tiny desk - the light didn't work - but instead of chairs, two horrible plastic stools. The fan on the cellar is very weak, a second fan is to low. No window in the small and sad bathroom. At 300 bahts, without air con, at the end of 80 stairs, for korat, it's overpriced, even if the free wi-fi had worked. But it
didn't: when I tried to connect to internet, it didn't work.

No phone in the room to call to complain, so I had to go downstair the 80 stairs.

When I said to the manager that I couln't connect, he answered me that a friend of him had just connected without problems few minutes ago... at the lobby! I answered that I was not concerned to know if the wi-fi was working at the ground floor, at the lobby, but in my room at the 5th floor. So the manager told me that maybe to many people were trying to connect and when I answered I wasn't concerned about this and he must have a signal to everybody, he changed his answer and said that maybe there was a problem at the 5th floor because it was to "high" from the signal. I told him I have asked before to check in if the wi-fi was available in the room and I have selected the hotel because I was told it was, but he answered me that anyway, it was free, meaning I shouldn't complain if something free didn't work.

Sensabai House is not the only guest house in Thailand to catch people with a bad or fake free Wi-Fi not working everywhere and/or stopping working as soon as 2 or 3 people connect at the same time. As it was late, I didn't ask to cancel my room and instead of stay 3 nights, checked out the next morning, without an excuse from the antipathetic owner.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

A last minute decision, I decided to take a train to see Khorat and Phimai. I emailed late afternoon asking to reserve a fan room for the night and asking the price. I received an email 15 minutes later that fan rooms were 300 baht and there was availability. However, 20 minutes later, and before I could check my mail, I received an email that that the fan rooms had been rented out but aircon rooms were available. I had to ask how much, was told 450, and I asked for a room to be held for me and gave details that I was inbound on a train and likely to arrive about midnight... and if I could turn in the aircon remote and be charged for a fan. I was told "no" in a roundabout way. I replied that was fine and how much should I expect to pay the tuk-tuk. And she replied 50.

I arrived at nearly 1am. Cold and tired... I walk into the hotel and am told by the kind desk clerk that the hotel is full and that my name is not on any reservation.

I show the fellow the emails and he calls the boss. I explain the situation again and the mails I received...

The manager chuckled and reiterated the hotel was full. I told her tersely that it's a serious matter to show up at a hotel at 1am and the room reserved be given away. I was told I could sleep on the floor in the lobby and she would see about a room for me in the morning as people check out.

I thanked her and said I didn't know my plans. And we hung up.

Then I asked the desk clerk to help me... which he did. He also apologized profusely for the mixup which is always sad to see an employee have to apologize when it should be the manager or owner to do it.

The place looks nice. The price is reasonable but if the staff can't handle a reservation and the manager cannot make heartfelt apology... why should I pay one baht to support this?

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We arrived in the middle of the night, and the had a fanroom for 350 baht. we only had a stop over because we wanted to go to cambodia early in the morning.
But the room was nice, quite big, own bathroom, tv,… good value!

The staff was great, they organized us a taxi in the morning and could show us the timetable for the busses we needed (unlike the staff at the train station which wanted us to travel back to bangkok by train and then again via train to the cambodian border ha ha).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2013

superclean and chep option with new and large rooms, all with bath, TV and free wifi. 300 baht for a double with fan (september 2013). the staff at the reception is nice and even though the english spoken is basic they can help you with info about buses to phimai temple. it's only 500m from the bus station in the city centre (in bangkok ask for korat bus terminal n°1) . great choice!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed 1 night because we came from Pakse, Laos and wanted to go to Lopburi. We arrived in the evening without reservation and staying was no problem. The fanroom (400 B) was clean, spacious and all we needed. The staff is friendly and the wifi works well. Tip: if you want to go to busterminal 2 (new) take a song thaew for 8 B.

We can recommend this place!

• Stayed: September 2013