“Just overpriced”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Khanom
Bangkok, Thailand
“Just overpriced”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I have just stayed for 1 night at pool villa and honestly I think that 10,500 bath per night is extremely overpriced. I understand the peak season but this is just too much. Add also that we had no towels in room and internet in room did not work. For Thai accommodation standards I think on a peak season such room shouldn't be higher than 4-5,000 bath. Front desk staff slow and not so friendly. Lobby should be cleaner. Called front desk 3 times around 6pm and no one answered.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Luca P
Kati_Khanom, Owner at Aava Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Luca P,

thank you for your time to review Aava Resort & Spa.
Sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied to the room price.

Christmas and New Year are most request holiday period for us like to any other hotel in Thailand and sadly we sell "fully booked" already months in advance for that time.
All hotels around he globe has similar pricing policies.

Aava Resort & Spa has got really good feedback for example from travel agencies about it's pricing. But of course we do understand that just staying for one night during peak season, prices might be difficult to adjust.

With Kind Regards,
Hotellier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 10 day stay at the Aava resort. This is a special place and a wonderful place to visit for a quiet and peaceful vacation. We stayed in 1 of the 6 pool side villas and even though we never used the pool, due to bad weather, the views are awesome.
We researched the holiday re weather but like other people we made the mistake of researching Thailand, not southern Thailand.In the South the monsoon period stars in NOVEMBER and so we had torrential rain for 4 days of the 10 we stayed and only 1 full day with no rain whatsoever.

If we had not been in such a superb hotel the weather would have ruined this holiday. The staff are truly great,always with a smile for you and the food is nothing less than 1st rate. Favourite meal has to be the breakfast,fresh fruit, breads and preserve and a choice of some 20 or so mains. In our 10 day stay I had 10 different mains and enjoyed each one.

The resort consists of about 28 rooms. There is a reception. a spa centre, a restaurant and the rooms all set in a lovely setting. it is short of a bar, or bar area where after eating you can go and chill and meet up with friends over a nightcap. At the moment the only area to sit and chat is the restaurant, and outside of the restaurant but if the weather is bad there is nowhere else to go.
If the weather is perfect outside the restaurant is fine but in poor weather a small inside area would greatly benefit this hotel. Another slight niggle was the poor internet Wi-Fi connection which meant we had to sit in reception to obtain a signal which was not very convenient.

Saying that I would go back to the Aava for another holiday tomorrow, ( no in 3 months when the monsoon period finishes.)

Room Tip: Pool villas 1 and 6 are next to the beach. In November no.1 had the sun for much longer than 6. if t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kati_Khanom, Owner at Aava Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear ericd468,

Thank you so much for your valuable time and effort to write this kind review. Me and my team are extremely happy to read your thoughts about Aava and our smiling staff.

We found out that we didn't have enough WI-FI spots and rooters on our property, this problem is already fixed and WI-FI works everywhere.

Our team hopes to see you again at Aava and Khanom!
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I have just spent 10 days at the Aava Resort and what a pleasure it has been. Everything from the amazing location, great food, friendly staff, superb spa. The breakfast menu was excellent allowing you to move between French style breakfast to Scandinavian and the fantastic Thai breakfast. We also went on some trips in the local area, which were outstanding including a trip arranged by Toon at the local bar CCs which was also a great find.

Room Tip: We stayed in a pool side villa which I think is the best place to stay in the hotel
Dear Danny J,

Thank you so much reviewing Aava Resort & Spa.
It is our pleasure to read that Your stay with us has been overall satisfactory experience!

Our ala carte breakfast has gained excellent feedback and happy to hear that you've enjoyed it too.

All the best,

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Last week stayed here with my husband, son and his girlfriend. What a gorgeous resort right on the most beautiful beach. Picturesque, serenely quiet just what we wanted. Compared with all the restaurants around, who all came to pick us up, the restaurant in the resort was pricey. The standard was excellent though. The tours we went on were most enjoyable - one to Koh Samui and one to see the pink dolphins. We were very fortunate to see 1. Made the trip worthwhile.Thailand is certainly a beautiful country.

Room Tip: The rooms which back onto the pool are sought after but I am not sure I would have wanted one of tho...
Dear Plum22,

Thank you so much for for your nice review about Aava Resort & Spa!
We are happy to hear that you and your family have had enjoyable stay with us.

Hope to see you at Aava again!

With Best Regards,
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Last week I took a few days off and headed to Khanom and then to Samui. What a pleasant surprise was the Aava resort in Khanom. The rooms are well take care and very clean, you will find everything you need. There is plenty of space too.

The resort is right on the beach so you don't have to walk much just a few steps from the pool and you are in the ocean. The food was very good and tasty a mix of western and Thai.

Staff was helpful and friendly and we did a pink dolphin excursion with them that turned up to be great we saw the dolphins my son love it.

Great place very complete it would have been great to stay longer. Khanom is a quiet place if you want to relax and escape the crowds of Samui its a perfect gateway. A real find this place highly recommended.

The only thing we did not like and its minor is that there was no internet connection in our room but the manager told us it was going to get fixed.

Room Tip: We had a pool access room with views of the beach really fantastic .
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gonzalo L
Dear Gonzalo L,

thank you for reviewing Aava Resort & Spa. So glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed at Aava and Khanom!

You were probably told on our excursion that spotting pink dolphins will bring you good luck for many years? So congratulations! Sometimes, especially during April-August we may spot dolphins from our own beach, that's pretty unbelievable!

Wifi problem was bigger than expected and occurred later again. New router was installed in beginning of January 2014 and now wifi is available thru though property.

With Kind Regards,
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed here with my new bride from the second week in October for our honeymoon. This place is absolutely amazing and exceeded my expectations of a perfect honeymoon location. We had a private transfer from Surit Thani Airport and even this first part of the holiday signified the level of service, smooth and professional. Check in was quick and we where shown to our room which was a pool side villa type, the room was perfect with a large bed (nice and firm, my preference!), amazing bathroom with sliding partition window which lets you watch tv while in the bath or shower! The room had a private terrace on to the pool which I loved diving off for a swim each morning. The view is a fantastic one which includes the pool, beach and beautiful sky line. The room has everything you'd expect in a high level hotel such as safe, mini fridge, tea making facilities, a/c etc. What was a nice touch was that every night after sunset the staff would deliver a different dessert (altered between fruit and cakes) and an info card with details of the restaurant and weather the next day.

The breakfasts each morning where amazing and as I was there for 10 days believe me I tried everything on the menu, all excellent. We had most of our evening meals at Aalto's restaurant and the food was really of a high standard and I was impressed each time, I would thoroughly recommend the taster menus which are like 3 courses of tapas and demonstrate a high level of cooking. The restaurant staff are fantastic and create a great atmosphere.

I would 100% recommend doing excursions through the hotel reception as they are really informative and make sure you are happy. We had a few and they provided an air conditioned mini bus for groups and a 4wd Jeep when on our own, you feel safe and very well looked after. Refreshments are provided and the hotel guide and driver seem to enjoy themselves too which helps create a relaxed environment. Do the pink dolphin and elephant excursions, well worth it with all the extras they add!

We also had a couples spa treatment which was fantastic as the Spa ladies know exactly what they are doing. Myself and my wife enjoyed this immensely. I also had a Muay Thai (Kick Boxing) session with the resort's instructor and he is absolutely fantastic and certainly put me through my paces. This experience was very enjoyable as he's very relaxed but knows his craft. Recommend doing this for any one: male, female or children as he's an excellent instructor and trainer for all levels.

As a whole the resort is absolutely perfect for a quiet and relaxing holiday but I can see that this is also a perfect venue for families too as every guest seemed to be enjoying themselves. The beach is kept pristine and we will definitely return. Best holiday so far of my life!

Room Tip: Out of all Pool Villas, room 3 has the most privacy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Shwan S,

thank you for your time and effort to write such an nice review about Aava Resort & Spa.

We, here at Aava, are happy to read that your honeymoon with us was best holiday so far!

We'll hope to see you again, as you write, we are perfect for families too ;)

All the best,

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Went here for a yoga retreat & the people were great! We arrived from days of travel & a shaky experience in Bangkok. We were welcomed with a beautiful, modern resort with friendly staff. I didn't know it at the time, but the owner of the resort was the first person that spoke to me. It is owned by a Finnish couple.
Khanom is small & not the normal travel spot in Thailand so it felt very traditional. Will certainly return again when in Thailand!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Alicenboiseland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Khanom
Khanom Golden Beach Hotel
Khanom Maroc Resort and Spa
Le Pes Villas
Le Pes Villas
#2 of 19 in Khanom

Been to Aava Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!