“Stay here time after time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Johan's Beach Resort

Johan's Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Olongapo
Sutter Creek, California
“Stay here time after time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have been coming to Johan's Resort since they moved to this location. I stay here because of the dive shop, but it is also a beach resort where visitors can just relax on the beach or enjoy the water sports equipment that they have available. The restaurant is great with a wide selection and daily specials. ALL of the staff is excellent from the front desk, to the bar, to the hotel, to the dive shop. Johan's is a community gathering spot with pool tournaments, dart tournaments, etc.... so there are always new local people to meet. Johan, his wife and staff have built the kind of small resort that they would like to stay at when they are on Holiday - comfortable, clean and reasonably priced. I like it!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank deepdiver49

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Romeno, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

food was ok till i tried the "homemade" pizza what i got after half and hour waiting time is a fast-food pizza out of the freezer, heated up and served cold mmmmh... (AWFUL!!!)
the owner is often drunk and you cant have normal discussion with him...
the accommodation is really noisy and the groups drinking beer are always the preferred.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lorenzo M
JohanDeSadeleir, Owner at Johan's Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
We cook our freshly made pizza for 10 years now and we never bought one frozen pizza to sell to our guests. The time to make a fresh pizza is 20-30 minutes (preparation time and oven time)
It comes fresh out of the oven and is very hot served, if you start to eat it immediately. As the owner I entertain our customers the best way I can and do except complaints, but if somebody accuses me of serving cold frozen pizza than the discussion is over. We are very proud of our quantity and quality of our fresh food and that is the way we want to keep it.
We do have some beers at the bar with other drinking friends since we got more than 50 different kinds of beer.
Some rooms are closer to the bar than other rooms and might be noisier than other rooms, this is your choice.
Best regards,

Johan

Travelers are raving about these Olongapo hotels

Oostende
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Been there before and knew it was nothing above the normal places to stay but this time was very bad. Within my 2 weeks of staying there I have 4 times no water to shower, sheets on the bed were sometimes even too dirty to put a dog on. Airco was very loud and you could hardly charge anything (like phones or pc's - i-pads) because the sockets were ruined as well. Resort? It looks more like a dump. Never going back there, one day it will fall apart.

Room Tip: There is no good room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank StephanOostende
We do renovate all the rooms every 5 years, this new renovation on the 10th year anniversary of the resort is on going right now and the rooms are for 80% finish, we will finish completely by February of this year. We got all kinds of rooms with different prices starting at P700 up to P2500, we know there is a whole lot of difference in price, size, location and beach view between these rooms.
We do have problems with the City water supply and solved this problem as most of the resorts by having water tanks on our roof to help if there is a water shortage. When this arises we have to switch to these tanks and put other pumps on, witch might take a few minutes, this happens very seldom and we bought a new heavy duty generator unit to help with this.
We have more than 100 bed sheets in stock and all are cleaned by the best laundry in town.
If the aircon is loud you have to report this, we have an aircon technician on duty.
We got international outlets in every room, some countries their plug system does not fit there, some outlets are protected by children friendly covers, you can ask for assistance of our electrician on duty.
Best regards,
Johan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

They got a great diving shop. ..professional dive masters\instructors...frindly staff ....decent rooms. ..good food ..I would stay there again.
Note for divers the visibility was sucks big time...best time to dive there is between November and December

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ramsey_sa
Shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

The resort is good for divers, Pool player and leisure guests. The price of diving are also competitively.
Most of clients are western people.
Worth for Price, 24hours served ,Wider range foods and Drinks、beers、Wines.
A Professional dive site (PADI 5Star). Kind staffs, instructor and Dive Master.

Room Tip: good for Divers
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Chorley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful 3 night stay at Johans. The room was big, clean and felt really homely with aircon, fan, tv and good bathroom. We paid p1,200 per night for the beachfront room which was actually in the dive shop, but was lovely.
The staff at the resort were very welcoming and friendly. The resort is right on the beach with a very relaxed atmosphere, lovely peace and quiet. The restaurant is great with a huge menu, the food is excellent.
My husband did some great wreak diving with the dive shop.
We took a jeepney from the main road about 10 minutes to go shopping in the duty free zone malls, a great day out to get some retail therapy.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and would highly recommend Johans, a great value, friendly beach resort

• Stayed July 2013
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed at Johan's for four days at the end of August 2013. It was my first trip to the Philippines and this was a great way to start it off.

I like diving, but didn't go when I was there. I just wanted to relax and hang out. So many reviews talk about the diving and everyone says it is great. But I had a great time just hanging out.

The staff are extremely accommodating and very, very friendly. Everyone always smiled and said hello. They go out of their way to make you feel welcome to the resort.

I was amazed that a place of the beach would be so clean and yet, I never really saw anyone cleaning. But there was never sand anywhere inside, even though it's an open air resort.

The thing to remember when it comes to the resort, is that you are not in a western country and this is not a 5 star, thousand count sheet, silver platter serving set, fine wine and spa resorts. It is important to remember that when you are traveling in countries, like the Philippines, to set your expectations accordingly. I currently live in Asia and do a lot of traveling there, so I was really happy when I got to Johan's and found that the bed was very soft and comfortable. The restaurant had great food for amazing prices.

The final happy surprise I had was that they have a massage therapist onsite at the resort. Liza is a sweet lady and though she is small, she has strong hands and is very good at her profession. I recommend that you get at least two massages from her while you are there.

Johan's is only a 15 minute trike ride from the Subic Freeport Zone and it costs about 250 pesos which is a great price.

What closed the deal for me giving a rating of "Excellent", was how friendly the staff was. They never made you feel as if they were in a rush to go away and seemed interested to talk with the guests and make sure everything for their stay is the best it can be.

I came right after a major flooding and while the water was a bit brown and dirty the first few days, it was still really nice to be next to the beach.

There are televisions in the rooms, but if you want to watch tv, you have to rent a cable box. That was odd to me, but the price was so cheap, at only 50 pesos a day. Still, I opted not to take one, because I don't see the point of booking a hotel on the beach and then staying inside to watch TV. After four days, I didn't miss TV one time.

The only negative I can say is that Baloy Beach is home to some very determined and hard core hawkers. They will spin every sad story in the book to guilt you into buying some extremely overpriced goods. But Johan's has a perimeter that they don't allow the hawkers into, so there is a nice safe zone. And the staff are very serious about keeping the hawkers out of the resort.

I highly recommend staying at Johan's any time you come to Subic Bay.

Whenever I come to the Philippines, they are a must on my places to go.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olongapo
Mangrove Resort Hotel
Cherry Midtown Hotel
Cherry Midtown Hotel
#11 of 18 in Olongapo
Rama International Beach Resort

Been to Johan's Beach Resort? Share your experiences!