“Lovely friendly beach resort”

Johan's Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Olongapo
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful 3 night stay at Johans. The room was big, clean and felt really homely with aircon, fan, tv and good bathroom. We paid p1,200 per night for the beachfront room which was actually in the dive shop, but was lovely.
The staff at the resort were very welcoming and friendly. The resort is right on the beach with a very relaxed atmosphere, lovely peace and quiet. The restaurant is great with a huge menu, the food is excellent.
My husband did some great wreak diving with the dive shop.
We took a jeepney from the main road about 10 minutes to go shopping in the duty free zone malls, a great day out to get some retail therapy.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and would highly recommend Johans, a great value, friendly beach resort

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed at Johan's for four days at the end of August 2013. It was my first trip to the Philippines and this was a great way to start it off.

I like diving, but didn't go when I was there. I just wanted to relax and hang out. So many reviews talk about the diving and everyone says it is great. But I had a great time just hanging out.

The staff are extremely accommodating and very, very friendly. Everyone always smiled and said hello. They go out of their way to make you feel welcome to the resort.

I was amazed that a place of the beach would be so clean and yet, I never really saw anyone cleaning. But there was never sand anywhere inside, even though it's an open air resort.

The thing to remember when it comes to the resort, is that you are not in a western country and this is not a 5 star, thousand count sheet, silver platter serving set, fine wine and spa resorts. It is important to remember that when you are traveling in countries, like the Philippines, to set your expectations accordingly. I currently live in Asia and do a lot of traveling there, so I was really happy when I got to Johan's and found that the bed was very soft and comfortable. The restaurant had great food for amazing prices.

The final happy surprise I had was that they have a massage therapist onsite at the resort. Liza is a sweet lady and though she is small, she has strong hands and is very good at her profession. I recommend that you get at least two massages from her while you are there.

Johan's is only a 15 minute trike ride from the Subic Freeport Zone and it costs about 250 pesos which is a great price.

What closed the deal for me giving a rating of "Excellent", was how friendly the staff was. They never made you feel as if they were in a rush to go away and seemed interested to talk with the guests and make sure everything for their stay is the best it can be.

I came right after a major flooding and while the water was a bit brown and dirty the first few days, it was still really nice to be next to the beach.

There are televisions in the rooms, but if you want to watch tv, you have to rent a cable box. That was odd to me, but the price was so cheap, at only 50 pesos a day. Still, I opted not to take one, because I don't see the point of booking a hotel on the beach and then staying inside to watch TV. After four days, I didn't miss TV one time.

The only negative I can say is that Baloy Beach is home to some very determined and hard core hawkers. They will spin every sad story in the book to guilt you into buying some extremely overpriced goods. But Johan's has a perimeter that they don't allow the hawkers into, so there is a nice safe zone. And the staff are very serious about keeping the hawkers out of the resort.

I highly recommend staying at Johan's any time you come to Subic Bay.

Whenever I come to the Philippines, they are a must on my places to go.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ray K
Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you are a keen wreck diver or wish to learn to dive, then Johan's Dive and Beach Resort is the place in Subic Bay. Value for money with a high priority on diver safety. I did most of my dive courses at Johan's and found that they dont do things half hearted, but train divers to high standards ensuring that you become a safe and competent diver. Food is great and accommodation is reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have stayed here twice in the past few years, and plan future visits. Amy, the manager will arrange everything from airport pick up, dive courses, visits to local attractions and even a special meal. I was craving Chilli Crab and with a days notice we sat down to a great meal of big, sweet chilli crab. The dive instructors are all very professional and take their jobs seriously, your safety is the primary concern. Rooms are clean if basic, the food is great, the staff are all super and the bar has the cheapest and most extensive beer menu in Subic. What more does a man need?
Gordon Adamson

Room Tip: go for the cheap rooms, you will only be in them for sleep.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I booked a last minute flight to Clark airport and could neither confirm my airport to resort shuttle nor the booking for a room in time but when I arrived at the airport I called Johans and magically they got a driver from clark organised within 20 minutes (johans itself is about an hour and a half drive away). When I arrived I got a simple but clean room and they were also very flexible with how long I wanted to stay, I considered that great service!

The menu was overwhelming with all its international dishes and drinks for a very good price!

the diving itself is also very flexible and relaxed, no stress or rush at all! If you expect a paradise view and white beach though, you will be disappointed because its a really industrial area but if you're there to dive the wrecks you won't get disappointed :)

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I did our Open Water course in Australia a month ago and decided we wanted to do more diving, and we thought the Philippines might be a nice place to do it. Johan's showed up on the PADI website as a 5-star dive resort, and it looked reasonable on the website, so we decided to give it a try. Rooms were cheap, so we weren't expecting luxury. They were comfortable and clean, however. At any rate, we were there for the diving.

The food was a great surprise. The menu contained hundreds of items from around the world, including delicious Italian pastas, German schnitzels, Philippino dishes, Belgian-style frites, and American and English breakfasts. The quality of the meats and seafoods were quite good, and nearly everything I had was excellent (the exception was the pizza - the ingredients were good but they don't have the crust right). Mains were around $3-5 each, for very nice portions. Local beers were available for around a dollar; also on offer was a range of Belgian and other international brews.

Finally, the diving. My wife did her Advanced Open Water and her Enriched Air certification and I did the upgrade from Adventure Diver to Advanced Open Water. Paul Southgate was our instructor, and he was brilliant, as were the rest of the diving staff. My wife was a bit of an anxious diver, and he was very patient with her. He knew his stuff, knew the dive sites like the back of his hand, and adjusted to our schedule. The rest of the dive staff, including another instructor (also called Paul) and the two divemasters (Henry and Weng) were also incredibly helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have no good reviews to write about this resort as my company and I found it very disappointing from the time we made booking until we left. First of, during booking the resort did not provide accurate information about their resorts in particular the hidden charges. The rooms were terrible, with what passes off as blanket is merely a thin piece of cloth and noisy aircon units. The rooms were not as clean as pictured and really small. Extra thick blankets incurred charge P150/night. The dives were a feeble save. The thing that upset us was no mentioned of extra charges for night dives on top of the charge mentioned in their website until we arrived and had our orientation. Some of the staff were zombies. Overall, will not come back here as it was not worth the price and all the extra charges incurred made it not a budget stay at all.
On a good note, some of the staffs were wonderful and made the stay bearable. Otherwise, the rest are a thumbs down.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends