“good all round resort”

Johan's Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Olongapo
Reviewed November 28, 2012

i booked into one of the cheaper rooms, it was a bit dark and the bathroom was tiny but the bed was comfy and just a few steps to the beach, i found the staff friendly and polite the room was cleaned when requested, theres a large flatscreen TV in the room but its an extra 50 pesos a day to rent the cable box, good wifi signal throughout the resort, ate most of my meals in the restaurant, good quality and good value, especially liked the European dishes like the Viener Schnitzel and beef goulash, the bar is well stocked, cheap and open 24 hours with pool tables and dartboards, cannot fault the dive centre here, the training with Johan is second to none, he is one of the best tech instructors out there, also his equipment and gas filling station is amongst the best i have seen anywhere, had a few great days diving, the divemasters are superb, safety number one, but they don't babysit you if you are an experienced diver, will certainly be returning soon.

Room Tip: the more expensive upstairs rooms are best
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigbri73

Reviewed November 25, 2012

dangerous one of my friend told me 3or 4 comstomers lost money in a year during costomer go out room.
johans hotel dont have securities system.So japanese reports for Police but they dont investigate.maybe hotel and police are so freindly. avoid bad hotel.

Room Tip: staff and owener tell you a lie.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ted m
JohanDeSadeleir, Owner at Johan's Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

This costumer checked in with us and did not use the safe witch are in each room, he had a compagnion for one night in his room and is surprized some money is gone. Afther accusing the staf he called the police who had the same findings as us. Most of our staff are working here for 9 years whithout any problems, we have a security guard at night and we trust all of them. No previous money or items where lost due our fault. Our camera system is temporary out due to a computer problem (parts had to be ordered in USA)

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Johan's is a pretty average place to stay, but it depends what you expect too. I was there to dive the wrecks of the area and I wasn't worried about much else. I had the rooms that form part of the dive shop, my door was right where they wash the equipment. Yeah, I suppose it could get a little noisy, however - it never bothered me much. The food was fine and check in and out was easy, but both times I have stayed here, they have never cleaned my room once.

The dive guides are excellent, my first trip I was able to make four dives per day however my second trip only resulted in a two dive day. As the dive sites are pretty close, that left plenty of time hanging around - fortunately I had a paper to research and write otherwise I would have been bored. Unfortunately, the day plan changed on a regular basis and I would have preferred sticking to the plan agreed the day before.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank viatalium
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed and dived at Johan's, I have reviewed the accommodation and dive operation seperately.
Accommodation:
Easy check in, but very dissapointing accomodation,We stayed downstairs, were offered a choice of 2 rooms on the ground floor, the room on the front is basically located right on the dive deck, no view and very little privacy with the comings and goings of the dive centre all day, could also be a bit noisey, we opted for a room up the side alley. It's a fairly dark depressing area, with lots of junk stored in the alley and lots of noise from the staff. The rooms are basic and poorly furnished and smell very damp, the bathroom had the smallest bath I have ever seen, reminded me of a Donger (accommodation used on an australian mine site), you had to pay 50 pesos extra for cable TV, all a bit petty really. The food in Johan's is good and reasonably priced, but service is a bit slow.
Dive Centre:
We found the dive centre very unfriendly, it took us a couple of attempts to even get someone to acknowledge us, let alone talk to us. Johan was present, but just ignored us as he was talking to some of his techie divers. We found the dive centre was really only interested in techie divers or people wishing to do a deep/wreck diving course with them. However we found the dive centre at the other end of the beach, even less friendly, hense we had no choice but to go with Johan's. We did 4 dives with them, They have small boats, old but functional hire kit,poor air fills,and insist on doing 2 dives in one trip with a fairly short surface interval, which means you get very poor bottom times. Due to a fatality the previous year on The USS New York, they also have unreasonable restrictions on penetration of the wrecks. There time keeping was appauling, nothing went on time.They also tried to change dives already organised to fit in with late comers, when we told them we wouldn't bother to dive with them, they soon re changed the plan back again. Unless your hell bent on diving the wrecks here, The Uss New York does have very impressive guns. I would give this place a miss or look for a different operator maybe in town.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Johan's rooms are not great but not expensive. The food is not the best in the area, but if you are price sensitive then it ranks excellent in value. The dive shop is the best in the area and one of the safest. Johan focuses on the dive shop and Henry has been there forever. Service and the front desk are friendly, informative, and helpful. Overall, not the best place, but best value. If you are hanging out for a while, trying to stretch your money, stay there. Put everything on your room and pay cash. You'll be able to stretch your $$$ significantly. Just don't complain about the rooms.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different, depends on if you want to be close to the action or away.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank james k
Reviewed April 13, 2012

The website says " newly built rooms " I may be dumb but that to me means the rooms are new ? Well they are not , the aircon sounds like a plane taking off, you have to pay 50pestos to have the TV switched on !!! and the rooms havent been touched since I would say the mid 70´s.The window looks out onto the corridor and the furniture is ready to be scrapped ( one staff told me they were gutting the place out in August, no good to me though )The shower is a joke and the sink has no hot water to shave in.Never had room cleaned once in 5 days.Room door could be easily forced open with a push.Sleeping difficult due to a) Aircon,b) noise of people/ geusts coming along the corridor its a 24 hour bar, c) Noise from the next door hotel ( I think ) 24 hours a day a boom boom boom music machine to be heard through the 2mm exterior walls.
Saw the owner acouple of time and barley got a smile , but there if you are a " dive legend" there is no need to smile at little advenced divers like myself.I Think if he interacted a bit with minions like me he would get more repeat customers, I dont go to a place to get looked down upon if I am a paying guest
Staff were great though and food was expensive but very nice, the dive crew were really friendly and proffesional and chatted like normal people do .
This is a popular place for the philipinos and thier families , have met some really nice filipinos there and they are the friendliest people I have come across , just talk to them and you will feel at ease , unless of course you are one of the many 40 to 70 year old men with young 18 year old filipino girlfriend, them wierdos are unfortunalty also there to be seen.
I dived every day twice and loved them wrecks, was great fun and the divemaster Henry was very patient with my inexpierence.
All in all , unless you want to wreck dive cheaply , there is no reason to go here but if you do be prepared for a grotty room that costs half the price elsewhere and dont belive the website as the " other activities " are not available , I wanted to go trecking horseback but got told i could ( well I couldnt as the place was shut ) go to a stable and ride in a circle for an hour for 3thousand pesatos.This is also a con , the transport services I got told they would pick me up from hotel for 2500 pesatos , but this hotel arranged it for 500, not nice that !

Room Tip: wait untill they have finished renovating , if they ever start.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DrWho43
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The best thing about this place was the staff. I found the restaurant and bar workers to be extremely helpful and friendly. The divemaster I had each day, Henry, was also great.

The room, on the other hand, was extremely basic at best, and rather oddly shaped and small. The aircon, once had, was best left on. Cable TV was 50 pesos more per day, not that I needed TV, though. No one cleaned the room while I was there.

The worst thing about this place was Johan, the owner. On my last day of diving there, a trip to the Phantom (sunken jet aircraft outside the bay) was put together for a group of other divers. I asked to go along. Johan decided that since I had not taken the PADI "Deep Diver" course, I was not qualified to do a dive in an area with a maximum depth of 42 meters. Never mind the fact that I'm certified as a divemaster, a part of which includes deep diving requirements. Johan steadfastly insisted that I would have to have the special deep diver certification. Very well... No need to get bent out of shape about this, right? I would simply dive at 2PM, when everyone else returned from diving the Phantom.

Except that I didn't get to dive at 2PM. I spent the afternoon sitting in the dive shop waiting for a boat and divemaster. None appeared until 2:45PM. I wouldn't be in the water until 4PM, earliest. Darkness falls at 6PM. I asked the divemaster if we could do two dives before it got dark. He was not optimistic. I then asked what my camera would do for light. He could only look at me in reply.

It's one thing to have a single dive on a particular site canceled by the owner. It's quite another to have diving for the entire day on any and all sites screwed up completely, and by the owner himself, no less.

Johan is a "dive legend" in Subic Bay? Perhaps, but I would have to say it's for his crappy PADI ("Put Another Dollar In") service. There is absolutely no way I could recommend Johan's for anything other than a cheeseburger (though I would recommend them for that!). Certainly not for their rooms. Certainly not for the diving.

I traveled far, and at no small expense, to dive the wrecks in Subic Bay. There is no way I deserved to be treated in this manner. There is no way YOU deserve to be treated in this manner. I wasn't treated so shabbily at Uncle Chang's in Sipadan, the place I dived before going to Johan's. And I wasn't treated so badly at Seadive on Coron Island, the place I traveled to after going to Johan's.

Room Tip: Go across the street to Lagoon Inn, I think it was called.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank KenRoach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olongapo
Cherry Midtown Hotel
Rama International Beach Resort
Rainbow Land Hotel
Rainbow Land Hotel
#13 of 19 in Olongapo

Been to Johan's Beach Resort? Share your experiences!