“best value”

Johan's Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Olongapo
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Johan's rooms are not great but not expensive. The food is not the best in the area, but if you are price sensitive then it ranks excellent in value. The dive shop is the best in the area and one of the safest. Johan focuses on the dive shop and Henry has been there forever. Service and the front desk are friendly, informative, and helpful. Overall, not the best place, but best value. If you are hanging out for a while, trying to stretch your money, stay there. Put everything on your room and pay cash. You'll be able to stretch your $$$ significantly. Just don't complain about the rooms.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different, depends on if you want to be close to the action or away.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank james k
There are newer reviews for Johan's Beach Resort

Reviewed April 13, 2012

The website says " newly built rooms " I may be dumb but that to me means the rooms are new ? Well they are not , the aircon sounds like a plane taking off, you have to pay 50pestos to have the TV switched on !!! and the rooms havent been touched since I would say the mid 70´s.The window looks out onto the corridor and the furniture is ready to be scrapped ( one staff told me they were gutting the place out in August, no good to me though )The shower is a joke and the sink has no hot water to shave in.Never had room cleaned once in 5 days.Room door could be easily forced open with a push.Sleeping difficult due to a) Aircon,b) noise of people/ geusts coming along the corridor its a 24 hour bar, c) Noise from the next door hotel ( I think ) 24 hours a day a boom boom boom music machine to be heard through the 2mm exterior walls.
Saw the owner acouple of time and barley got a smile , but there if you are a " dive legend" there is no need to smile at little advenced divers like myself.I Think if he interacted a bit with minions like me he would get more repeat customers, I dont go to a place to get looked down upon if I am a paying guest
Staff were great though and food was expensive but very nice, the dive crew were really friendly and proffesional and chatted like normal people do .
This is a popular place for the philipinos and thier families , have met some really nice filipinos there and they are the friendliest people I have come across , just talk to them and you will feel at ease , unless of course you are one of the many 40 to 70 year old men with young 18 year old filipino girlfriend, them wierdos are unfortunalty also there to be seen.
I dived every day twice and loved them wrecks, was great fun and the divemaster Henry was very patient with my inexpierence.
All in all , unless you want to wreck dive cheaply , there is no reason to go here but if you do be prepared for a grotty room that costs half the price elsewhere and dont belive the website as the " other activities " are not available , I wanted to go trecking horseback but got told i could ( well I couldnt as the place was shut ) go to a stable and ride in a circle for an hour for 3thousand pesatos.This is also a con , the transport services I got told they would pick me up from hotel for 2500 pesatos , but this hotel arranged it for 500, not nice that !

Room Tip: wait untill they have finished renovating , if they ever start.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DrWho43
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The best thing about this place was the staff. I found the restaurant and bar workers to be extremely helpful and friendly. The divemaster I had each day, Henry, was also great.

The room, on the other hand, was extremely basic at best, and rather oddly shaped and small. The aircon, once had, was best left on. Cable TV was 50 pesos more per day, not that I needed TV, though. No one cleaned the room while I was there.

The worst thing about this place was Johan, the owner. On my last day of diving there, a trip to the Phantom (sunken jet aircraft outside the bay) was put together for a group of other divers. I asked to go along. Johan decided that since I had not taken the PADI "Deep Diver" course, I was not qualified to do a dive in an area with a maximum depth of 42 meters. Never mind the fact that I'm certified as a divemaster, a part of which includes deep diving requirements. Johan steadfastly insisted that I would have to have the special deep diver certification. Very well... No need to get bent out of shape about this, right? I would simply dive at 2PM, when everyone else returned from diving the Phantom.

Except that I didn't get to dive at 2PM. I spent the afternoon sitting in the dive shop waiting for a boat and divemaster. None appeared until 2:45PM. I wouldn't be in the water until 4PM, earliest. Darkness falls at 6PM. I asked the divemaster if we could do two dives before it got dark. He was not optimistic. I then asked what my camera would do for light. He could only look at me in reply.

It's one thing to have a single dive on a particular site canceled by the owner. It's quite another to have diving for the entire day on any and all sites screwed up completely, and by the owner himself, no less.

Johan is a "dive legend" in Subic Bay? Perhaps, but I would have to say it's for his crappy PADI ("Put Another Dollar In") service. There is absolutely no way I could recommend Johan's for anything other than a cheeseburger (though I would recommend them for that!). Certainly not for their rooms. Certainly not for the diving.

I traveled far, and at no small expense, to dive the wrecks in Subic Bay. There is no way I deserved to be treated in this manner. There is no way YOU deserve to be treated in this manner. I wasn't treated so shabbily at Uncle Chang's in Sipadan, the place I dived before going to Johan's. And I wasn't treated so badly at Seadive on Coron Island, the place I traveled to after going to Johan's.

Room Tip: Go across the street to Lagoon Inn, I think it was called.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank KenRoach
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The room I stayed in was pretty big, but decorated in the fashion of a house. SO I did not feel I was in a hotel (more like a apartelle). Aircon was fair, there was a cooking range and shelves to keep food, the lighting in the room was dim, so it was difficult to read at night.

The beach is right next door (the reason why I chose Johans). Unfortunately due to the rains I did not dive. But the place definitely seems to be popular with divers (esp. with the wreck diving in SUbic bay). JOhans has a big dive shop so it is very convenient. The guests were all from different countries. many were from Germany and Swiss and they did not talk / mingle much. The staff is not as friendly as Filipinos usually are (maybe the effect of the German / Swiss owner?!). But they are not bad.

Johans has a good restaurant down below. Portions are large (one is good for 2 people). and the spread is extensive (lots of options for veggies). Prices are not low, neither very high. Just average.

Unfortunately the access to Johans is not so easy - it is a good 1.5 kms from the expressway. I would suggest coming here either by taxi or by trike. Taxi from Olongapo / sbma costs 300 pesos, trike from expressway jeepney stand costs 50 pesos. There are many other hotels closeby

Unfortunately many rooms do not have a view of the sea or beach. so be careful when choosing your room

Room Tip: Beach facing rooms are budget and good - 1200 to 1500 pesos
Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I did my Advanced Wreck Diving course with Johan. He is a legend and knows Subic Bays wrecks more than anyone in fact he has discovered quite a few of the wrecks himself. A tough and demanding instructor that will teach you the skills you need to dive inside the wrecks and impart his wisdom and experience. The wrecks are great - Subic is not known for its clear water but the New York is an impressive site even when its really murky. Johan is a technical diver and he has every thing you will need and the organisation to take you to the deeper wrecks or inside any of the stable ones. He has fast uncluttered boats and a variety of cylinders twins and deco to match you needs. I could not fault the diving, the staff were great, diving safe. The local divemasters are helpful, friendly and the instructors local and expat are very experienced (old sea dogs), cranky and eccentric at times but what do you expect they have seen it all and it makes the dive centre fun and you could trust these guys to train anyone.
The resort is one of the oldest in town so any criticisms that can be placed at the rooms come down to their age. But I found mine to be basic but comfy but very good value. The restaurant is great the food was tasty, beer cheap and staff friendly and genuine. The expats play pool once a week and it's great opportunity to hear another side to the resorts life. The bar is also one of the 'girlie' free bars in town so if don't want to be exposed to that side of Phillipino culture it's one of the best options for a beer. From what I have heard about the other dive centers in Subic who left some of my friends floating on wreck etc, I would not go anywhere else. If your diver who values experience, knowledge, organisation and in particular a tech diver with specialist diving requirements - go dive and stay with Johan.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Riggers R
Reviewed August 4, 2011

A very god place to stay - irrespective of whether you are a diver or not (but if you ARE a diver, it is probably the best place to be). My room was on the first floor (called 2nd floor in Phils) – I opened the door and could stare right at the sea. Damn good! There was a small sit out with chairs on the balcony, rooms were good (they are among the cheaper ones here, compared to Blue rock, Sheavens etc.). You walk down the stairs (a bit steep), and the beach is right there.

There is a well equipped dive shop (among the more popular ones here) just below, and so for divers, it is a really good deal. Dives are not too expensive either (1500 per dive – with their gear), and unlike many other resorts here which will drive you all the way to SBMA, Johans have their own boat – so you just step into the boat, propel a few minutes and dive!

Excellent restaurant – has lots of Thai, Filipino, Aussie, European and other dishes. Fresh juices (you MUST have fresh mango and buco – coconut- juice when in Phils), decorated with diving memorablia and right by the beach.

It takes about 15 mins to walk to the night life area, but you can easily take a trike instead.

Room Tip: Look for the rooms on top - they are better
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank New_YLOO
Reviewed June 15, 2011

5 of us stayed at Johans for 4 days. The rooms tho basic and dated were clean and comfortable and right on the beach. The staff were great a special mention to Diane nothing was a trouble to her and always smiling. The best part was the food every dish the 5 of us had was just great from the Filipina dishes to the European dishes and all very cheap also the fresh baked pastries and all the Belgium ice creams you cant help but put on weight. On the down side water was not always hot for showers but the cold was easy to take.This is my 4th stay in Baloy Beach and my 4th hotel but from now on I will always stay at Johans on the beach

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank 41255tk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olongapo
Cherry Midtown Hotel
Rama International Beach Resort
Subic Residencias
Subic Residencias
#3 of 18 in Olongapo

Been to Johan's Beach Resort? Share your experiences!