“enjoyable holiday experience”

Hotel Royal Amsterdam
Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in Angeles City
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I stayed at the Royal Amsterdam in Angeles city for my Christmas and New Years break, being a single middle aged Australian male with an abundance of active red blood cells, I have as have many in my position around the world visited the Philippines and other Asian countries many times, but never had I stayed in the heart of Angeles City where the night life seems to go on 24/7.

This trip to the Philippines was pre-destined to be structured around my own enjoyment which is why I selected a hotel on Fields Avenue in the middle of Angeles cities night life hot spot, and I can say without any fear of contradiction that my decision to stay at this particular location was without doubt the right one.

But all that aside, this review should focus on the hotel, its appointments services and the perception that as a traveller and holiday maker I was left with after staying there.

First impressions were that the hotel was pleasantly presented, there was no plush entry foyer nor were there copious bellhops standing around just waiting to be of service, what the Royal Amsterdam offers is good quality rooms equal in my opinion to any 4 star hotel at very reasonable rates (competitive with everything close by but again in my opinion of a higher standard and quality).

The other very obvious advantage that the hotel has to offer is friendly courteous and above all HELPFUL staff. The reception check-in staff had an attitude that stood out above everything they were always willing to be of help nothing ever seemed to be a problem (even if it was they did not show it), their attention to customer service was without doubt outstanding there friendly smiling demeanour made it a pleasure to constantly say hi, the warmth of their smiles when they handed over or took your room key would make you want to linger a while and exchange a brief chat just for the opportunity to bask in a second exposure to their wonderful characters.

The rooms were pleasantly surprising in both size and fit-out, a king size bed is just that a REAL king sized bed not 2 singles pushed together and covered with king size linen but always leaving you in the morning with the knowledge that you have slept on the two hard edges of two single mattresses. House keeping couldn’t be more friendly, ask for new or more towels on your way out to breakfast and they are there when you get back, leave out the “please make up my room sign” and it’s a given that when you get back it is spick and span. You can ask for no more than this type of service in any hotel and as you frequent travellers are well aware you will not always get it. Housekeeping at the Royal Amsterdam seem to take pride in remembering who you are and what you requested yesterday so that they can do it for you again today without having to be asked, they must take a note of your routines because I never ever caught them in the middle of cleaning my room even when I had a short breakfast and return early on a nature call. One can only assume from then that when you went out they almost immediately must have begun their cleaning and that they were both fast and efficient having completed the room sometimes in under an hour of me having left.

The one very important yet often forgotten other quality that in my opinion is the one of most paramount importance HONESTY I constantly left loose change and amounts of small notes on the bedside table on the dresser and mixed up with receipts from the previous days shopping. Never once did I lose a single coin or note, we all take honesty as a given, it is an expectation that what is ours will always be ours but the truth is we are naive to expect that this is constant all over the world. When you consider how much the average daily wage is in the Philippines and you think about the amounts we foreigners just leave laying around and the obvious temptation that must present, then it is without doubt an accolade to the hotel that their staff selection and screening process has resulted in the employment of such efficient, friendly, courteous, and above all honest personnel. Even though we don’t think about it, a holiday where we lost nothing, did not misplace anything, and never once had a concern about our personal effects sitting in a hotel room while we cavorted around a foreign country is a holiday that leaves one with an elated and with memories that encourage us to return and do it again.

If I was to summarise my experience at the Royal Amsterdam I would have to first take into consideration comparisons with other hotels that I have stayed in around the Philippines over the past few years. It must be noted that I have a standard that generally I will not go below and on the international scale that is as a minimum a 4 stay rated hotel, in saying that however I have domiciled in what are supposed to be 4, 4.5 start rated hotels and I can only say that the rating must have been applied many many years previous and that the hotels had never been re-tested. The Royal Amsterdam however being a 5 year old establishment in the Philippines where one expects to find high levels of deterioration, has stood the test of time it is not the Hilton in New York, it is the Royal Amsterdam in Angeles City in the Philippines, it offers affordable accommodation, it is centrally located, it is clean and roomy, staff are friendly and courteous, and it is safe and secure all of which adds up to an enjoyable holiday experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank rodgerhenry
There are newer reviews for Hotel Royal Amsterdam

Reviewed January 12, 2010

i recently stay here with my friends of which 1 of them fell through a glass door at the bottom of a stair case ( SILLY PLACE 2 PUT A GLASS DOOR ) of which was not safety glass. this door caused alot of damage 2 my friends arm of which he had 2 stay in hospitial for 5 - days the management wanted nothing 2 do with it the main manger never came 2 visit him once during these 5 - days & charged us 4 the hotel taxi 2 & from the hospitial ever time & have been told they r replacing it with a similar glass door (HOW STUPID IS THAT !!!!) as i said in the title no regards 4 personal safety. SO BEWARE !!!!!!!!!

1  Thank planty1
Reviewed January 12, 2010

What can I say?? I think the title says it all!!
I travelled to the Philippines in November 2009 with 2 friends and met my girlfriend out there. I was visiting family in Pampanga but we wanted to check out the nightlife and have some space to ourselves. I had checked out several hotels prior to booking but for me Hotel Royal Amsterdam seemed to stand out in a class of its own. Believe me I wasn't disappointed.
I had the Panorama suite (room 409) and my friends had a Jacuzzi suite each. The Panorama Suite!! What can I say... It's the only room for me!! I'm the kinda guy thats built for comfort... and this room is comfort!! I've actually fallen in love with this room!! My girlfriend liked it so much that we've booked the same room for when we come back in a few months time to visit family. The room is huge. Every morning my friends would come up (with their partners from the night before sometimes) and we'd all have breakfast together at the bar in the living room. Sometimes in the evening we'd have a few drinks in my room, listen to some music before hitting the bars. It literally felt like home. All our rooms were immaculate on arrival and maintained to the same level all through our stay.
All staff from the security (Robert... You're the MAN!!), reception, cleaners, bell boy, drivers to the management they all made our stay amazing!! Robert just seemed to have an arsenal of lighters. He must've given us about 8 lighters and one night we got a load of drinks in and realized we never had a bottle opener... Never fear... Robert reached into his pocket and took one off his key ring... Much appreciated!!
Now aside from the actual accommodation my main concerns on any trip are transportation, food and laundry services. There was no way I was getting into a trike for any distance. Luckily the hotels transport service is very efficient. Whenever I needed a car I never had to wait very long. Room service was great... I'm used to home cooked Filipino dishes and the food was almost on par with mums!! Washing and ironing was very reasonable and of a high standard.
Location... Anyone looking to stay here will probably already know its in the middle of Fields Ave. Location is perfect its slap bang in the middle of all the action... you can be at any bar within seconds.
In a nut shell... I'll be back... I'd even let my mum stay there...

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed in Angeles city for two weeks with 2 mates who were first time visitors and booked us all into Royal Amsterdam Hotel in the heart of the action.I had the 1550p room which was spacious,clean and a mattress almost as good as my own at home.I found the location superb as no real need for trikes.The rooms are cleaned daily and your fridge restocked daily and the showers were well pressured and certainly hot.
I had one incident with a hot headed barfine and the management were only too happy to give me advice on the rights and wrongs of Angeles City.Overall for the price that they charge if your budget minded,want a clean,safe reliable staff(no thieves etc)comfortable hotel with all the mods and cons i would certainly give the Hotel Royal Amsterdam my stamp of approval.Lovely food also and the two guys running the show i found to be very advisable and knowledgable with AC to give me a few good tips:).

Harri

Reviewed January 2, 2010

I've stayed in many hotels in Angeles but of all of them this is the best in terms of value, cleanliness, room layout, location and value. I stayed in a "jacuzzi suite" and the room was spotless. The staff is very friendly and I think had I had any complaints they would have been addressed immediately. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Angeles and I plan to return again soon. I just can not say enough good things about this hotel!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2009

my freind had a very serious accident in this hotel whilst checking in , he was taken to a local hospital where the manager of the hotel turned up , he was ok the first night but after this they were no help whatsoever , my freind was worried about many things in hospital the hotel took no interest and distanced themselves from the serious accident , the design of the door in this hotel was dangerous , you should not have a glass door a the bottom of the stairs , especially when its not safety glass .my freind could have lost his arm .

1  Thank billyzulu
Reviewed December 24, 2009

i recently stayed here with three of my friends.on checking in 1 of my friends tripped and his arm went through a glass door suppossedly (safety glass). he was rushed to hospital,this was a bad cut..the manager made an appearance at the hospital once in the five days my friend stayed in hospital.we after that first visit the hotel distanced its self from the incident.they even charged us to use the hotel car to visit our friend and for faxes /phone calls to his insurance company. i understand they are replacing the glass door with another which by the way is at the bottom of a flight of stairs..the attitude of the management who are both european stank i and my friends will never stay there again

2  Thank loftusEngland