“Very good Hotel!”

Hotel Royal Amsterdam
Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Angeles City
“Very good Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This Hotel Is located exacly in the middle of the action. They have the best staff in the city and the service is perfect. I am going back in december and I hope they will have room for me. :-) A bonus is that they just reopend the restaurant with room service.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank dj_chet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
Angeles City, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 13 Aug- 21 Aug. For two days we did not have enough water to take a shower. The water situation inproved after we changed rooms. This hotel is not for non-smokers.
Hotel does not offer non-smoking room. Very noisy at night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank jwymel
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Hotel Royal Amsterdam is located right smack in the middle of Fields Avenue. There was some noise from the outside during the day as there was renovations being done and at night there were at least 4 videoke bars cranking the music.

The rooms are quite spacious and comfortable and have all the necessities needed although one of the rooms I was in had a faulty shower head which I initially thought was just poor water pressure.

Please note that there is no elevator in this hotel. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: If you choose a jacuzzi room, ask the hotel to have it running when you check in.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chucky N
Tralee, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

An institution in Angeles city
Great location
Need to book ahead as may be full
Big rooms
Big beds
Breakfast was extra
Easy check in
Not very big
Walking distance to all sights and nite life
Nice staff
Stayed here about four years ago
Highly recommended
Fairly good value

• Stayed September 2012
San Francisco / Manila
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I checked in with my long term live in Philippine girlfriend, at about 2:00 PM. We were greeted, by name, by about 7 smiling female employees behind the counter (I assume it was during their shift change). I made it a point to introduce my girlfriend by name. It was a quick and pleasant check in procedure. I had exchanged emails with the hotel a few days before and we were expected. I had agreed to pay cash and received a 10% discount.

As previously warned, the restaurant was now out of business. I did not care as the quality had decreased over the last year. When they made it non smoking restaurant we quit eating there as we both smoke and there is better food to be had in Angeles City. The front desk also told me that a new restaurant would be opening there in September; however it was obvious that no renovation of the existing restaurant space had been started. The tables and chairs from the old restaurant were still in place and it simply looked abandoned.

The hotel room itself was as described but very dated. The room was in serious need of a makeover and, it looked straight out of the 1950’s. However everything seemed to work and the WIFI was good. We did not try the DVD Player. Other than an outage for a few hours early Saturday morning, the Internet connection was satisfactory. Things however went down hill from there.

Our room was on the second floor and had no windows facing the outside. The room was not fitted with a fire sprinkler system. Having no outside window or fire suppression system would certainly make this room a FIRETRAP in the event of a fire.

The bathroom had two floor mats, one in front of the small stall shower, and the other in front of the toilet. These floor mats were made of some spongy material, were very dirty, and damp. On the second morning I asked that the shower, whose floor was very Slimy and Slippery (no safety bars) be thoroughly cleaned. The shower floor was never properly cleaned; however, the filthy floor mats were changed. In addition, the shower only contains one small shelf with no room to put anything such as shampoo. You would have to put the shampoo on the slimy slippery floor, and then bend over in the tiny shower stall, with nothing to hold on to, and hopefully get your shampoo without breaking your neck. A prescription for disaster.

Speaking of shampoo, it is available, but only if you buy it. The only toiletries included with the room price are two of those small round bars of soap and toilet paper. No Shampoo etc, however there is a large basket of items for you to purchase. It contains everything from cookies to condoms (See Pictures). In the room’s Hotel Directory Book there is also a price list of each and every item in the room should something be found to be broken or missing when you check out (see picture).

When my girlfriend turned on the water in the Jacuzzi she was hit with bursts of air and then sprayed with rusty water. After running the water for several minuets the rust appeared to have disappeared. However, upon draining, there were definitely signs of fine rust residue in the tub. She elected to not use the Jacuzzi again.

On Wednesday morning at about 6:30 am I was awakened to hammering. This hammering continued throughout the day, every day until about 5:00 PM. When I inquired about it all I got was that familiar DUH look. After some discussion the front desk decided that the hammering must have been coming from the adjacent building, as no maintenance was being performed at the hotel (that had been made obvious).

On Thursday evening there was no hot water. We called maintenance. The maintenance man arrived shortly. He examined the electric hot water heated and said it had overloaded. He reset it and we soon had hot water. Overload? What OVERLOAD? Most residential fires in this country are caused by faulty electrical wiring and overloading of circuits with extension cords. Remember, this room is already a FIRETRAP.

On Saturday afternoon, I was alone in the room quietly doing some work on my computer. I observed a large adult size MOUSE run across the floor from the vicinity of the TV to under the bed. I tried to find the mouse and made a lot of noise and shook the bed. The mouse was not seen again. However, while I am no expert, I do believe that mice do nest in beds. As we were checking out in the morning I made no effort to change rooms. I did report the mouse incident to the front desk when checking out.

During our stay my girlfriend had reason to leave and re-enter the hotel numerous times alone during the day. Things like clothes shopping and hair dressing do not hold much interest for me. Each time she left she was questioned by the hotel front desk staff. Questions included ‘Where are you going, are you coming back, what room are you in”. These questions were asked loudly and certainly within hearing of anyone in the small lobby. There were indeed other guests checking in at the desk on at least one of those occasions. Well, while the girlfriend is an attractive young woman, she is not a prostitute or bar girl of any kind (never has been). She is a nice, polite, educated woman, conservatively dressed, and who found these questions both embarrassing and humiliating.

I confronted the front desk about these questions being asked of a guest. I was told that it was hotel policy to ask those questions. I asked to see the policy and got that same old DUH expression, I asked the desk clerk to recite the policy and also asked if those questions were asked of Caucasian women or just obviously Philippine women. Same stupid look.

I fully understand why they ask the questions, and I think everyone reading this does as well. That certainly does not make it right.

Bottom line is Royal Amsterdam Hotel is an aging, unkempt dirty hotel. It is in desperate need of upgrading or renovation. It has vermin, is a firetrap and in the event of fire, and you can expect the front desk (according to policy) to treat your non Caucasian companion like a prostitute. There are much better hotels available in Angeles City in the same price range (I have stayed at many).

Needless to say, we won’t be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jay P
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have been visting Angeles for over 4 years now and have stayed at almost all the major hotels during that time. This was my first visit to the Hotel Royal Amsterdam and it was a very good experience for me. The service was first class right from the efficient reception and booking all the way through to the cleaning of the rooms etc. The staff are at all times attentive and courteous and hotel is very clean. My roon was large and comfortable with every amenity. Definitely recommended and I will be staying there again hopefully.

Room Tip: The Jacuzzi rooms are excellent and large isze.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed at HRA more than 8 times for the past few years, thrice infact for 2013. As mentioned in the title, location is my formost consideration to stay here, with cash payment's offering, good deal for the room rate. Room's cleanliness is well kept, good wifi, courteous front desk and security guard. No fuss in checking-in and checking out, impress with quick responded emails by their 2 staffs, Ms. Arlene & Ms. Dina. Some improvement though to take note, water pressure in shower need to monitor strongly, faced this problem in my most recent 2 trips. Toiletries may be upgraded, also to include tooth brush & tooth paste for over night guest ! To support HRA, my next trip to AC will be Octorber 2013, bringing 14 guests this time !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends