“An update to a simply superb hotel!”
Review of Devera Hotel

Devera Hotel
Ranked #1 of 93 Angeles City B&B and Inns
Cebu City, Philippines
“An update to a simply superb hotel!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My wife and I had the chance to be at this hotel from June 8 to 11, and the experience was just excellent! I would say that I am very discriminating and hard to please but this hotel completely changed my view of what budget accommodation should have been. First off, you get 5-star treatment from the staff. They have this infectious smile that any grouch can't help but feel awkward not to respond to those pretty smiling faces. They were so helpful in assisting us tomnavigate the city sans havng our own transpo. I think this kind of friendly service rubs on anyone given to first impressions. Even the security guards never failed to greet the guests with their amiable smiles.

Secondly, this is a very new hotel and conveniently located just across SM Clark with jeepney terminals that could bring you anywhere in Clark and its environs. I browsed the previous comments about all the noise going on during its constructon and I'm pleased to inform anyone interested to stay in this hotel that the noise has almost died down. The hotel has 7 floors and we were blessed enough to stay at the 5th where we relaxed to our hearts' content. The lobby is spacious with big comfy sofas perfect for lazing around. There is a a cold and hot water dispenser with provided disposable cups if you want to have coffee. However, you should supply yourself with your own coffee mix or what have you. There are also chairs and tables that you can use with your laptops as the hotel has good enough wifi even in our room at the 5th floor. They have a single small elevator that can only accommodate four persons with really big backpacks. However, we encountered no queues while using this.

We reserved a junior standard room costing P1,200 a night at the fifth floor, which was enough for our needs. And I must say the room was so elegant for a budget hotel, however smallish it may have seemed. Card key access, a widescreen 32" Bravia, a mini ref, a safe deposit box more than enough to store a 14" laptop, a cabinet with drawers to store your clothes and stuff, and lo and behold, a mirror wall just to the side of the bed to satisfy anyone's narcissistic bent. Lighting was ample and one is provided with switches at arm's length of the bed for convenience. My only beef was the too soft bed mattress that constantly shifted out of position ;). To my mind, however, Devera was one of the few hotels to provide three big fluffable pillows that added to a very comfortable sleep. And did I mention about the so silent split-type aircon that really added to a superbly serene stay? The new aircon was so noiseless that sometimes I would wonder if it was working at all.

The bathroom was sparkling clean as one could expect from a new hotel. Again, the area is rather small by western standards, but I must add that this is the smallest room type they have. Impressive to find is the mounted rain shower that won't be present in hotels of this type. Water pressure was strong and hot water was plentiful. I was surprised to find a bidet (hallelujah for us pinoys!) for added hygiene.

Overall, the room was well appointed and smartly furnished for a budget hotel and our stay was a very pleasant one thanks to the approachable and friendly staff and for the extra creature comfort provided by this hotel, which really exceeded our expectations. I would not even venture to look for another hotel the next time around. Best value! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: For Caucasians, go, at least, for the standard room for more space. Choose a room far from the elev...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Babygees14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This is a good hotel. It is new, so new that they are still building the top floor/s. Plus the construction next door is noisy as well. This is compensated by a discount rate on the price of the rooms.

Good Points.

New Hotel
Friendly Staff
Clean Rooms

Bad Points

Standard Rooms are very small (but you get what you pay for) with a small bathroom.
Deluxe Rooms are larger and have tables and chairs which the standard did not, though the bathroom seems to be smaller.
Both bathrooms do not have enough shelf space to lay out toiletries, etc and no hooks to hang clothes. We'll see how the deluxe pans out, but in the standard room it appears that the date roll (toilet paper) is like gold as there was never enough left and twice had to get the desk to send more. (Maybe I'm just full of it.)
My main gripe with both rooms is the spottiness of the internet service. The wi-fi was mainly "low" and "poor" and when they tried the LAN cable, it did not work at all. So we are subject to the vagaries of the Philippine internet infrastructure.

Overall, I would stay here again, but maybe only after construction has finished and they can assure me of a good internet service.

Room Tip: At the times I was here, it was hard to tell which rooms were the best, as I'm sure the noise wo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Warria W
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This Hotel is very new and located close to the SM Clark Mall. The rooms are small but modern. LCD television works well but not that many channels. The bathrooms are too small in size and without any space for toiletries. The biggest problem is from 7am to late at night construction right next door. Jack hammers, nosiy workmen etc. The staff in reception, security and house keeping are very polite and professional. There is no breakfast area yet. This Hotel will be ok for cheap modern accomodation in a few months once the construction next door is finished. For now its a B+.

Room Tip: Ask for room not on construction side
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank dabster36
Sarawak
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I booked 3 rooms via email 3 months ago without having to pay a cent. They didn't even ask for CCD details. Their emails replies were prompt & friendly. I arrived last weekend with the rooms ready for the 3 of us. They did not ask for a deposit for the rooms.
You may ask the hotel to arrange transport for you from the airport. Around P470. Cheaper than taking a taxi from the airport (P500) & having to tip the maggot porters (P20 each in our currency because we were sucker foreigners on our first visit).
The receptionists were very friendly & explained everything we needed to know about the city. I asked about SIM cards, safety, directions & good restaurants. Everything was nearby & within walking distance. We were always greeted with a smile every time we passed reception. Every time. Even when it was a short visit to our room to grab something we forgot.
I paid P1200 for a deluxe room. The rooms were small & there was just enough room for the queen-seized bed & for movement around it. There was an LCD TV, a fridge, a safe & a small cabinet. 2 bottles of water provided. I will only be sleeping in my room so the cramped space was not an issue for me. I could hang around the lobby anyway.
Will recommend & will stay again if I were to return to the Philippines.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JarodYJK
Alabang, Muntinlupa
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel twice when I've gone to Angeles City for the reason that they have very considerable rates for a nice hotel. I booked deluxe rooms for Php1,500.00 per night and I must say that I found the rooms very satisfactory.

I was given a room on the 7th floor on my first stay. Construction is on going during the morning but it didn't bother me at all. Only problem was the bad cable TV reception.

My 2nd stay was on the 4th floor. Everything was in tip top shape, then, including the cable TV. I figured that since the 7th floor rooms were newly constructed, it may be that the cable reception isn't still that good.

They have good WiFi connectivity and a bathroom with a nice shower that provides good water pressure.

The staff are very nice and welcoming, considering that I am of the same nationality (there are some hotels who are very friendly with foreigners alone). They are very accommodating and very easy to talk to.

The hotel location is superb, as it is just across SM Clark, beside MiniStop and a few steps away from Chowking and the Friendship jeepney terminal. There is also a bank and an ATM just outside the hotel.

I would be sure to return. I must say that I found the best hotel in Angeles. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dumaguete City, Philippines
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Stayed 4 nights in room #310. It's a Standard room and the promo rate of 1200P a night is good value. BUT, that room is VERY small. Just barely enough room to walk around the bed.

Mattress and bed linens were great as was the water pressure and hot water. Sony Flat screen on the wall. Staff all friendly and helpful.

I would return there but would take the next category of room for 1500Pesos as it allows a bot more floor space. Room #310 is like a closet.

Room Tip: Do not get room #310 - It's closet sized small! :-(
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank MarksFootprints
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2012

NOTE: This hotel is still in the 'soft opening' stage at the time of writing this review & are ironing out issues as soon as they find them & trying very hard to get everything right.
Please do not read this as a negative review, rather the opposite is true, I will be returning!

I stayed at the Devera Hotel from 8th - 11th May during their 'soft opening'.
For those who do not know what a soft opening is, it is when a hotel opens when it is not fully finish being built. They open floors as they become complete & ready for the guests to use.
I would have given an overall score of 5 if it were not for 2 things (a water issue & Internet issue - read below).

When I arrived, the door staff took my luggage to the front desk, checkin was easy & I was taken to my room.
I found the staff extremely attentive & polite.

The 'Deluxe' room.
My room was on the 6th level. Just before going into my room, I was introdused to the person who was responcible for my room cleaning & I was advised to feel free to speak to him directly if there is something required, otherwise to tell the front desk.
The room was not very big, but had a very comfortable king size bed & there was room to walk around it, but not much more than that (one side had room for my suitcase without it being in my way).
They have a reasonably good sized LCD TV in the rooms.

The bathroom.
Soap, shampoo, cottonbuds, toothbrush & toothpaste supplied.
The bathroom was small, but functional, not crowded.
I got 2 towels, 2 face washers & a bathmat fresh each day.
The hotel lost water for a few hours on 1 day, all the staff were very apologetic.
The toilet wouldn't flush a couple of times after room was cleaned, I was able to fix by turning the tap at the back of the toilet. I think cleaning staff either turned the tap off during cleaning & forgot to turn it back on or something else was happening.
Everything was clean & worked well mostly.

Other.
They do not have a resteraunt, but have menus from 2 places outside the hotel that deliver to your room.
I had the opportunity to speak to the owner for several minutes, he advised that they are looking at opening a resteraunt on the roof & appreciates guest feedback to help them approve their hotel & guest experience.
They have free Wi-Fi on each level of te hotel, but they had a lot of problems with it during my stay which was inconvenient for me as I was travelling on business.
It was thought that it was my laptop that could not get Wi-Fi at other locations in Angeles City (I got Wi-Fi straight away when I return to Makati at Inwangsan hotel - review to come later) so I would suggest something else was the issue, weather it be Windows 7 connecting to the Wi-Fi or some other issue. I was not the only person having issues.

Once again, this hotel is still in the 'soft opening' stage & are ironing out issues as soon as they find them & trying very hard to get everything right.

Location.
This hotel is located next door to a bank with an ATM whiich is very convenient.
It is also located in the heart of the shopping / nightlife district known as 'Checkpoint', almost opposite the jeepney terminal.
It is close to 'Margarita Station' (formally known as Margaritaville) where you can enjoy reasonably priced food & drinks without being approached by girls. It is frequested by many expats & westerners.

Would I recommend this hotel to others? YES YES YES!!!
I was going to delay my trip to Makati for a couple more days because I enjoyed my stay in the hotel & the city, but Devera hotel was fully booked.
This hotel helped create a very positive experience to my visit to Angeles City
I have confidance after talking to the owner to their commitment to fixing issues as they arise.

Room Tip: If you want quiet times during the day to rest, avoid rooms ending in 3 or 4 (I stayed in 504) as ho...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business