“Swanky on the outside but terrible on the inside. Not worth the money”

Mawlamyaing Strand Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Mawlamyine B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I was told that this was the best hotel in town by a local lawyer I met on the train. I was pleased to see that the foyer and reception was modern and clean. I booked for one night. Very fortunate.

First, the electricals were not working in the entire room as I got in. The staff tried fiddling with ever power supply point but he was clueless. So I asked I I could change the room. He spoke to someone on the phone but went back to fiddling. I decided to go down and ask if I could get another room. There was no answer. Housekeeping staff turned up and fixed the problem after much time had passed.

Went into have a hot shower after long train journey and the water pipe burst. Literally had to run down again half wet (must have looked comical and crazy at the same time) and inform them. Housekeeping again had to come and fix the problem that took awhile. Next was the flush that was leaking water all over the bathroom. By then all I wanted was to have a shower, some food and hit the sack. Turned on the bedside table lamp that was not working. So they obviously don't check these things before checking someone in.

Was so knackered and hit the sack. Bed was comfy, large and I slept well.

But staff are not that friendly or helpful due to lack of knowledge. Breakfast was cold toast (Burmese trend ). I was quite happy to take an early checkout

Hotel looks great from outside but maintenance is really really terrible so just not a relaxing experience.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank ayeshasitara
There are newer reviews for Mawlamyaing Strand Hotel

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We were disappointed in this hotel as it is opened in 2011. Initially we were given a dirty room. Sheets, floors and walls were grimy and unclean. The room was extremely noisy as they were making renovations just down the hall. We moved to another room which was cleaner but still had a grubby feel to it. We had no hot water. The rooms all face the parking lot rather than the Thanlwin River which is definately the better view. The breakfast staff were very good. Breakfast here were alright although lacked the selection of many other places we stayed. I would look for another place in Mawlamyine before I stayed here again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Strand for two nights and would've stayed more if it weren't fully booked for a National Medical Conference. Room is very spacious, bathroom has rainfall shower, and wifi on the room was strong. Has garden restaurant which is great in late afternoon till evening. Staff are courteous and always ready to help. Downside is the limited breakfast fare. But who's complaining for $50 a night! Stayed at roach-filled hotel in Yangon for $110 a night! Will definitely go back to Strand!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 22, 2013

It really seems strange that a modern hotel, and the best in town, should have the corridors with river view and the rooms all facing the back. There's no excuse as it's not a noisy place. In the first room I had on the 4th floor I had very small ants in my bed. The second room was worse in that I was severely bitten on my thigh and suspect bed bugs. For evening the restaurant in the garden on Strand Road is best.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2013

First of all, don't be confused between the Mawlamyaing Strand Hotel and the historic Strand Hotel in Rangoon. Although Moulmein is a lovely old Colonial town, there is no connection (nor similarity between the two). This hotel is called the Strand as that is the name of the street it is on.

We were disappointed by the hotel. Although it only opened in 2011 (as shown on a plaque in the foyer) it is very poorly run and maintained. Indeed, it looked as though it had been in operation and the original condition for 20 years.

To put some colour around this :

1. The quality and finish of the bathrooms were bad with mis-laid tiles and unexplained holes drilled in odd locations. (It reminded me of India in that respect)

2. The hotel was simply not clean. The floors in the common areas were filthy; there were cob-webs in the rooms and litter in the hotel.

3. The staff were simply clueless. Whilst I appreciate that Burma is new to international tourism, the hotel has clearly made no attempt to train staff is how to run a hotel. The foyer doors were left half open letting all the mosquitos (read: malaria) in.

5. The restaurant was a shambles - bad service, mediocre food and tables with half eaten food not cleared. It looked like lunch was on some tables even though it was dinner time. It was a talking point amongst guests. The room service menu was also ridiculously limited.

Another example was that the staff simply failed to take the laundry which was left on the bed in the hotel laundry bag. As we returned to the room of an evening, this was a problem as we were relying on the washing to be done for some clean clothes!

6. Construction work (including what sounded like a jack-hammer) continued until 7pm at night. Considering the hotel is so new, we wondered what might have been going on. It literally took place in the immediately adjacent room.

Everyone is travelling to these parts of the world is open-minded however unfortunately this hotel just didn't cut it. There are no hotel facilities either - no pool, no gym etc. Wifi was limited - available in reception but not in any of the guest areas.

My recommendation would be to try somewhere different if staying in Moulmein (Mawlamyaing).

1  Thank hotsyd22
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I agree with the first reviewer of this property that the Strand is probably the best option in Mawlamyine - and it's not terribly expensive for the best hotel in town. Though strangely, despite the fact that it just opened in 2011, they seem to be doing a lot more construction on at least one of the floors.

The biggest problem with our room was a kind of moldy smell coming from the bathroom, which was pretty hard to avoid even with the exhaust fan turned on. In the bathroom, a round (or close to round) shower stall had for some reason been replaced with a rectangular one, making the entrance to the bathroom awkwardly tight. Yet another oddity of the place, like another reviewer's point about the hotel's views being "reversed."

We also experienced the hotel's unique "turn down" service, which involved a couple of housekeepers coming in, one with roach spray and one with air freshener, while we looked on. They applied the roach spray all around the bed, which I have to say freaked me out for the first night until I was convinced there weren't actually any roaches. The subsequent air freshener didn't really help matters.

One final important point I'll add is that this hotel is really not great for independent travelers because of the limited English and limited local knowledge (from a tourism perspective) among the plentiful front desk staff. Even pretty simple requests like getting bus tickets were met with blank stares then, after extensive discussion, incorrect information (e.g., they told us the only way to get tickets was to go all the way to the bus station, which wasn't true). At one point we considered asking them to confirm our reservation at our next hotel, as we'd been doing the rest of the trip, but decided it wasn't even worth the trouble to explain.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

If you are looking for a cosy, homely place but still affordable, look no further. This place is a good choice and most important of all, the staff are warm, friendly and very helpful!

Made my travel with my wheelchair-bound Granny the best experience ever!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawlamyine
Royal Hinthar Hotel
#2 of 19 in Mawlamyine
Attran Hotel
Attran Hotel
#6 of 19 in Mawlamyine

Been to Mawlamyaing Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!