“OK if you get the big room”
Review of Breeze Guest House

Breeze Guest House
Ranked #15 of 18 Mawlamyine B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“OK if you get the big room”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We booked ahead and were rewarded with the huge double room with double four posters and good mozzie nets. There were several stand fans in the room and no a/c - though to be honest with the size of the room, breeze from the river and fans, a/c would have been overkill. Maybe if you are unused to tropical heat and are travelling in the hot season you might want to choose elsewhere. The bathroom was fine, water hot and everything provided. We did not tours but did take a boat organised by Breeze, to Hpa An. The price seemed reasonable.
From speaking to other guests, the smaller rooms did not seem like good value, the small room off the balcony on the other hand, at $7 did.
The owner - Ivan is a source of much information on the area and it is worth sitting through his 5 min sermon on Buddhism for the experience if nothing else. Just don't interrupt.
Have fun.

Room Tip: See above. The V large room if travelling with a friend or partner. Book ahead. The small room o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I was lucky enough to stay upstairs in Breeze in a single room to the side of the balcony. There were windows which was a novelty after most places I had stayed in Myanmar. The bedding seemed clean and there was a mosquito net over the bed. Unfortunately the room was ludicrously loud at night as it faces the road but I would rather have traffic noise than be in a windowless room. Talking to other people at the guesthouse it sounds like the rooms downstairs are pretty dire- no windows and paper thin walls. The facilities were basic but fine. The guesthouse runs a tour to the island but the price varies depending on how many people go on the trip- I didn't understand this at the time and thought I would have to pay the whole fee so didn't go which I now regret. Location is good- overlooking the sea although I didn't find a lot to do in Mawlamyine itself. I would recommend getting the train here- although it takes a very long time the views are beautiful and it is an experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Left after one day because I could not stand the thought of another night in my windowless prison cell of a room. The shared bathroom was padlocked, which made using it a chore. Staff were unhelpful and neglected to mention they had bicycles to rent when I asked for advice on sightseeing. I spent the day trudging around in the heat on foot with the map they gave me from the Cinderella Hotel, which looked like a nicer place to stay. Staff refused to call me a tuk-tuk to get to the bus station. Instead, they tried repeatedly to pressure me into getting on the back of their friend's motorcycle with my huge backpack after I said no. I eventually found a tuk-tuk myself by walking up the road. Really unpleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bea F

Travelers are raving about these Mawlamyine hotels

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed July 18, 2013

As with many budget options in Myanmar this place is expensive and quite run down.
Many backpackers come here, so it's a good place to meet people and exchange experiences.
They organise some tours, staff was not extremely friendly but outdoor breakfast (sweet bread, banana and coffe) on the balcony was nice way to start the day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at the Breeze for two nights and then left to go back to Hp'an. I soon realized I was robbed of over $200 dollars!! I know it happened at the Breeze because I had counted my money upon arrival and then counted it again upon arriving at my next hotel. I called the hotel and explained the situation to one of the employees. He immediately chastised me, saying it would ruin their reputation. He said to wait and talk with the owner. I phoned back and the owner refused to even speak with me. All I wanted was to let him know that there was a thief in his establishment and to ask him if he could perhaps intervene on my behalf. They hung up on me. Twice. Great service, Breeze. I cannot believe Lonely Planet recommends these clowns.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank lovetravel293924
Reviewed May 16, 2013

They only had the massive upstairs room available when we arrived for $35, amazing room in size and with ensuite and the massive windows were lovely for watching the sunset over the river, but so much space was obsolete. The breakfast is poor, a banana and some toast. No air con in the big room, we only stayed one night. If you can look around, do.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Priscila S
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Seems to be the only cheap option everyone names you here, but next time I rather spend more money than staying here. We picked the most expensive option (25 Dollars) for a double with own bathroom. The beds seemed ok and we were tired from the nightbus, so we stayed. Discovered the finger nails on the shelf and the dirty bathroom later. Breakfast was very basic and we had to take of the shoes for going up on the terrace. Our feet were very dirty after that. Dont go here. Lonely Planet should not mention it anymore.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple