“Terrible Rooms”
Review of Breeze Guest House

Breeze Guest House
Ranked #14 of 19 Mawlamyine B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Left after one day because I could not stand the thought of another night in my windowless prison cell of a room. The shared bathroom was padlocked, which made using it a chore. Staff were unhelpful and neglected to mention they had bicycles to rent when I asked for advice on sightseeing. I spent the day trudging around in the heat on foot with the map they gave me from the Cinderella Hotel, which looked like a nicer place to stay. Staff refused to call me a tuk-tuk to get to the bus station. Instead, they tried repeatedly to pressure me into getting on the back of their friend's motorcycle with my huge backpack after I said no. I eventually found a tuk-tuk myself by walking up the road. Really unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Bea F

Reviewed July 18, 2013

As with many budget options in Myanmar this place is expensive and quite run down.
Many backpackers come here, so it's a good place to meet people and exchange experiences.
They organise some tours, staff was not extremely friendly but outdoor breakfast (sweet bread, banana and coffe) on the balcony was nice way to start the day.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at the Breeze for two nights and then left to go back to Hp'an. I soon realized I was robbed of over $200 dollars!! I know it happened at the Breeze because I had counted my money upon arrival and then counted it again upon arriving at my next hotel. I called the hotel and explained the situation to one of the employees. He immediately chastised me, saying it would ruin their reputation. He said to wait and talk with the owner. I phoned back and the owner refused to even speak with me. All I wanted was to let him know that there was a thief in his establishment and to ask him if he could perhaps intervene on my behalf. They hung up on me. Twice. Great service, Breeze. I cannot believe Lonely Planet recommends these clowns.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank lovetravel293924
Reviewed May 16, 2013

They only had the massive upstairs room available when we arrived for $35, amazing room in size and with ensuite and the massive windows were lovely for watching the sunset over the river, but so much space was obsolete. The breakfast is poor, a banana and some toast. No air con in the big room, we only stayed one night. If you can look around, do.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Priscila S
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Seems to be the only cheap option everyone names you here, but next time I rather spend more money than staying here. We picked the most expensive option (25 Dollars) for a double with own bathroom. The beds seemed ok and we were tired from the nightbus, so we stayed. Discovered the finger nails on the shelf and the dirty bathroom later. Breakfast was very basic and we had to take of the shoes for going up on the terrace. Our feet were very dirty after that. Dont go here. Lonely Planet should not mention it anymore.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hamburgunterwegs
Reviewed March 27, 2013

If you are visiting Mawlamyine in the not-too distant future, and planing to stay at Breeze guesthouse, then change your mind now, call off all the bookings and tours you have arranged with them and seek better place before it gets too late. Do not ever get fooled by LP (Lonely Planet), there absolutely choice of guesthouses around Mawlamyine. Just believe you me when I say so. Have no idea why LP has recommended this place.

Let me give you some good reasons why you should take my advise here. I have just got back from my solo backpacking trip around Mawlamyine and stayed at their place one night. No exaggeration here to say - their rooms have seen better day - walls are dirty, mattress are old, rooms are tidy (more like prison cell). Besides, there is no windows, but have filthy loo instead. Not a really fancy place to stay though, but might have thought a good place for backpackers in the first sight. (No sooner than you will see your initial assumption is proved wrong)

The worst part ever is RACIAL DISCRIMINATION - they do discriminate against their blood hood (Locals), and have double standards. The locals have to give the same amount 6 $ for so-called basic room with attached fan, but given less facilities, and enforced to use the different loo (Asia- style toilet) where the whites can use western-style loo. Needless to say, these guys are not doing business here.

Need I say, I cannot really appreciate the true awfulness of this rubbish dump - dreadful services, tours and rude staff. Please keep this mind that this is another BLACK HOLE when it comes to the tours like - "Ogre Island" & "Boat trip to Hpa-an".

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ozzer H
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The owner seemed nice and friendly. They tried to sell us a room for $25,- per night, including bathroom. The room was dreadfull! It looked like a slaughterhouse! Luckily we got into the Cinderella hitel, which was same price, but like a little peace of heaven. What a difference!

We did book the Ogre island tour. Because it was "convenient" to do it this way. We payed 40 dollars total, for two persons, to discover you could do the same thing for 5 dollars each. There would be no difference. Allthough we liked our guide, he was very friendly, it still feels like a ripoff when you discover that its easy to catch the 9 or 9:30 boat yourself (can't remeber the exact time, but its the kate one. And yes it exists, whatever they say). Arriving on the island, heaps of tuktuks, guides, bike whatever you want, are waiting. They all do the same, but cheaper then breeze...

During our periods waiting at the lobby of breeze, loads of guests staying there came down with the same mantra: "Do you have a nicer room available today?".

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple