“Best place in town? Really??”
Review of Cinderella Hotel

and 1 more site!
Cinderella Hotel
Ranked #1 of 21 Mawlamyine B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I had high hopes based on reviews but would have to say we were disappointed. Main reason: no hot water. At the end of every day of our travels, we had a sweaty skein of dirt in need of removal as well as needing to refresh. Room 307 did not deliver PM or AM. The rest is frills, nice but the essential is hot water. Also, the beds were rock hard. I chose this based on reviews despite the map indicating an out of the way location. In retrospect, I'd stay on or near the Strand Road and go with our travel agent's suggestion of Attran Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to check the hot water before you commit!
1  Thank GoodEaterstoo

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at the Cinderella Hotel in late November 2012 for 4 nights and it was wonderful. The staff were attentive and helpful, the room was spacious and clean with lovely decor, there was a mini-bar stocked with snacks and a TV that actually worked. Breakfast was better than most hotel breakfasts I'd had in Myanmar, and they have a quiet generator that kicks in when the power in town goes out (which it did several times). There is free wifi in room if you have a laptop/tablet/smartphone with you, and complimentary bottled water each day. For only $27 a night this was the best value hotel I stayed in for my 4 week trip. The only negative was that the (kingsize) bed was rather lumpy and a bit hard, but I was so exhausted after my sightseeing each day that I didn't have a problem sleeping.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jazzybabe666
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This hotel lived up to everything other reviewers have said about it. Cool juice on arrival, followed shortly after by a fresh fruit plate delivered to the room. We stayed 2 nights in a room located at the back of the hotel that looked across to their dining room - very quiet. The air conditioner in the room was quiet, there was ample hot water, and the hotel has its own high quality, high capacity generator so no worries about being without electricity. The hotel common spaces are decorated with high quality selections of art and handicrafts from across the country. There were also a few families staying there at the time we were there and they seemed relaxed and satisfied. The hotel is owned and operated by the Mawlamyine businessmens' association and they make a lot of effort to ensure that guests are welcomed and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter at the back of the hotel.
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights.we are very impressed with the overall outlook of the place.rooms do varies,the first 2 nights we are in the best room in the house (302) its has kingsize bed and very well stocked fridge. They even provide your own iPad in every room with free wifi. For $35 this is definitely value for money. The other 3 nights we are in 304 which is also good,but we preferred (302) for its location and having good view of the temples. It's the best and cleanest hotel in Mulamayne. Also the thougthfulness of the staff providing us plateful of fresh fruit everyday.highly recommended.

Room Tip: Pick 302 best room and views with a nice veranda to have a drink and a chat. corner suites are large...
1  Thank Maria H
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Everything good that has been written about this hotel is true! This is a very good choice: the hotel is very clean, the rooms well accessorised, and the staff very friendly! Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back as the front faces the street and can be noisy.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This Hotel was one of the best that I have ever stayed in. 5 star places are great but usually lack character. $25 dollar hotels don't usually make the extra effort to be at this level. Well manicured grounds with little animal bushes, super friendly staff that are very helpful, excellent resturant, nice room with satelite tv and full size...

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank james h
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in November 2012. The service started already a day before I checked in: I arrived in hopes of securing a room without reservation (don't try this - Mawlamyine may not be on the main tourist trail but the few hotels book out every day). Of course there was no room available. But rather than simply saying sorry and letting me fend for myself, the receptionist immediately started calling all hotels and guest houses one by one, until she found a room somewhere else (lucky - I might have had to go back to Yangon otherwise).

The next day I had booked for two nights and received all the excellent service others have already writtten about: there's various useful items in the room, the TV has several international and Thai channels, etc. Staff are really friendly and helpful in all possible ways, and the room is very complete.

The room has the biggest minibar I've seen in Myanmar (and most other places), and they have Singha beer (and many other items of Thai origin, probably because they are close to the Thai border), which was a nice change.

Wifi is available and signal strength to the access point is excellent (five out of five bars), however there is (or at least for the three days I was there there was) no Internet access in Mawlamyine. This is apparently city-wide, going to an internet cafe makes no difference (kids in there may be playing games, but these games are on the local LAN, not online). So until this situation improves in the city, don't count on being able to use the internet in Mawlamyine. As an example: you can load the Google home page in 1 - 2 minutes, if the page loads at all. Beyond that, nothing much happens, a search query may eventually load after several minutes but clicking on any of the search results will then lead to a website that will not manage to load (may sometimes load partially). This was at all times of the day not just at night as is sometimes the case in Yangon.

When I needed to go back to Yangon at the end of my stay they booked the bus ticket for me, and when I had trouble finding a hotel at the last minute in Yangoin guess what: they once again worked the phones until they secured a reservation for me - truly incredible service. In the end this reservation did not work out (I arrived in the evening, and because you can't pay for reservations hotels are often reluctant to hold onto them for fear of no-shows), but that was not their fault (the taxi driver I toook from the bus station eventually got me into a Chinese hotel that's not on Tripadvisor, and therefore had a decent room available at 9pm).

The breakfast is very good for Myanmar standards (best I had in Myanmar), and the restaurant overall has an extensive menu and good food choices (mostly Myanmar/Chinese cuisine). I had dinner there two nights in a row.

I unreservedly recommend this hotel with its extremely dedicated and service-minded staff; it was a great experience staying here.

Room Tip: Had room 207 which was good and has balcony, however can'tt compare with others as this was the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mawlamyine
Ngwe Moe Hotel Mawlamyine
1 mi away
Pinlon Pann Motel
Pinlon Pann Motel
#12 of 21 in Mawlamyine

Been to Cinderella Hotel? Share your experiences!