“Treated like family”

Berastagi Nachelle Homestay
Ranked #1 of 15 Berastagi B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our 2 night stay immensely. The hosts are lovely, kind, and fun. They look after you so well, and have excellent communication skills, always clear at describing options. They really get what tourists want and work so hard to make it happen.
They are open and honest, generous and thoughtful. They gave us the option to have breakfast. Our last day they spent several hours making sure we got the right bus to our next destination. Whereas most other places would tell you where to go, they sat on the road with us, watching for the right van. When they were all full Abdy came with us to a bus station to ensure we got on the right one, all the while insisting it was no trouble at all!
It's rare to meet such beautiful people.

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank Tlass

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The Berastagi Nachelle Homestay is by far the best lodging option available in Berastagi. I traveled with 11 coworkers from Singapore, and the hosts made special arrangements to accommodate all of us with extra beds and space. They will help arrange just about anything you would need.

The hosts, Abdy and Mery, are very friendly and helpful. I hope to stay here again!

Room Tip: The top floor is really great - lots of privacy and easy access to the rooftop deck :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank wgrantwilder
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Ok, so I guess somebody had to be the first one to write a less positive review.
First, Abdi and Merry are very friendly and helpful but our overall experience could have been better.
I made a booking through email a month up front for the room and also transport from Lake Toba.
The night before arriving Abdi mailed me that his driver was out of town and that they could not pick us up. I think it was not very profesional to inform me so late about this. Luckily we were able to arrange other transport but now missed out on the sightseeing ( waterfall, Dokan village) along the way.
When we arrived in town Abdi was waitin for us, which was good. Then he took us to an empty house with a room for us. Nobody was there and the place felt very strange. It became clear that they have only two rooms in their other house and these were full. We did not know what to do and felt a bit akward. Abdi offered to take us to his other house ( which is actually the house of Merry's parents). There we could stay in the karaoke room on matresses on the floor. We agreed to this ourselves so no complaints about this.
The house is about 20 min walk from center. A simple restaurant and small supermarket next door but nothing else closeby.
They don't do breakfast or dinner. For the two nights we stayed nobody was home most of the time.
I think we might have different ideas about a homestay. I like to interact with the family over a meal and learn about local life and customs. Otherwise I would stay in a hotel.
We went on a volcano trek with Abdi and this was a nice experience for a good price.

Overall we would not go back.

• Stayed: August 2013
Nachellehomestay, Owner at Berastagi Nachelle Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Hi Inge Otten,

Please be an honest person and PLEASE DO NOT LIE !!!!!!!!

YOU NEVER made BOOKING the room a month in advance, SO again, PLEASE DO NOT LIE !!!!!!!!

PLEASE NOTE : You ONLY booked the room and transport pick up from Lake Toba 3 days before you booked. I answered your email directly and having said that, It's okey for the room but for the transport pick up will be able to let you know only by august 2nd lastly by evening,This is due to I was not in Berastagi and I can’t access my email easily. And you are okey about this!!!!!!

You confirmed about the car charter and the room also in last minute + in peak season. I explained you very well about our room and all once you arrived in Berastagi but I don’t know why you don’t understand everything.

Here with I attached your email for you can see MORE CLEAR and UNDERSTAND the situation.

YOUR BOOKING ROOM is dated July 30th ( Please NOTE, IT IS NOT ONE MONTH IN ADVANCE!!!!!) to confirmed check in on 3-8, written as follows.
Le mar. 30 juil/30 july. 2013 04:54 HAP, Inge Otten a écrit :
>>>
>>>> Hi Abdi,I just wanted to confirm our booking. Check-in at 3-8. Check-out at 6-8.We are now in Bukit Lawang. Tomorrow going to Lake Toba and on the 3rd to you.
>>>> Can you still arrange pick up for us from Lake Toba to your accomodation?To visit the tourist places on the way sounds good.Where will we meet the driver?
>>>> Also can we book the tour to the volcano? I don't know yet if we want to do sunrise tour. I think it depends on the weather. Can we decide when we arrive at your accomodation? Or is that too late. We want to do the tour at the 4th of august.
>>>> Thank you.
>>>> Best regards,Inge
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then I answered your email at the same date july 30th, as follows :
> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:11:20 +0100
>>> From: abdy_france@yahoo.com
>>> Subject: Réf.: RE: Booking Enquiry
>>> To: ingeotten@hotmail.com
>>> Dear Inge Otten,
>>>
>>> Thank you for booked the room. I had noted the date accordingly. l'm not in Berastagi now and can't access my email regulary. I'll be back to Berastagi only by august 2nd,thus for the transportation pick up n volcano trek l'll give you the info in details latest by 2nd august evening. Have a nice trip to Lake Toba tomorrow and have a nice holiday. Kindest regards, Abdy
Due to the peak season and your request is in last minute, so on my above email I said to you to let you know the confirmation only by august 2nd. Then you answer no problem!!!! As per your email as follows :
> Le jeu. 1 août 2013, 1 august 2013, 18:31 HAP, Inge Otten a écrit :
>> Hi Abdi,
>> No problem. Just let me know as soon as possible.
>> For us it would be good to take the ferry at 10.00. We will be in Parapat between 10.30 and 11.00.
>> This way we can first have breakfast here and we don't have to leave so early.
>> We will visit the sights you mentioned along the way to Berastagi right?
>> Is this time okay for you or did you have something different in mind?
>> We would like to do the sunrise tour in the night of 4 to 5 august. Is that okay as well?
>> Hope to hear from you soon.
>> Best regards,
>> Inge
On august 2nd, I answered to you as follows :
Op 2 aug. 2013 om 18:46 heeft "Abdi Sitanggang" <abdy_france@yahoo.com> het volgende geschreven:

> Dear Inge,
> l just arrived in Berastagi now, and for the transportation Parapat-Berastagi, l had contacted the driver that l know him well but unfortunately he is out of Berastagi up to august 9th. So the driver can't pick up you tomorrow. Do you have indonesian phone number? For the volcano Tour. I can arrange it as well. Regards, Abdi

Reviewed August 4, 2013

After looking at several places, my girlfriend and I decided to stay at the Nachelle Homestay and it was the best decision we made. Conveniently located only 2 min bus ride from the town centre, or a 15 min walk, the homestay offers clean and comfortable rooms with a hot shower, an excellent base for trekking up the local volcanoes, Abdy and Mery are fantastic hosts who do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable, including being a guide for the volcano treks or waterfall visits, even taking you out for breakfast and showing you the local markets. Fantastic place, fantastic people. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 132DanM
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Phenomenal. Just phenomenal. Let me tell you after a few days in the jungle, there is nothing better than spending a few nights at Nachelle Homestay. It is the closest you are going to get to western comforts in Sumatra. The house is immaculate. The food is amazing. And they'll show you how to cook it. Meri is like a second mother, always looking after you. And Abdi is hilarious. He is totally kidding about the cannibalism...he he. And I'm sure the Grandfather will convince you to sing karaoke with him at some point in time. He does 50's pop quite well.

The city itself is nothing special, which is what I enjoyed about it. You can see Summatrans being Summatrans. There are two mountains close by, which are a must see. And the food is fantastic for such a little place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jesse_Spraakman
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Abdy & Mery's place for 2 nights and had a great experience. They made us feel at home from the very beginning and nothing was too much trouble for them, from arranging transport for onward travel to recommending places to eat etc.

We are travelling through Asia for a few months and no doubt we will meet some very nice people along the way, but we will always remember our stay at Nachelle's - every traveller going through Berastagi should check availability with this great couple 1st, in our view :-)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Marco0816
Reviewed July 9, 2013

During our second day in North Sumatra, me and my friend, Gowri have stayed in Berastagi Nachelle Homestay for two nights. What can i describe about Abdy and his wife, Mery? Its all have been written by other travellers here. Both of them are extremely good people, kindhearted, friendly and helpful. Same goes to their parents and their adorable daughter, Nachelle. We feel like in our home and with our own family, zero awkward feeling at all. Abdy have emailed me since on the first day we've arrived in Medan as he has to make sure we could find his homestay by informing the driver and was given the right directions to his place. They also calling our handphone number several times but due to terrible handphone line / connections, it is beyond reachable and i was lucky manage to received one phone call from Mery which ask us to wait at Berastagi town. Upon arrival there, we've waited for them for about 5 minutes and they came to fetch us to their homestay. The homestay is only 2 minutes drive from town, just nice which is in front of main road Berastagi - Kabanjahe, the next door is Indomaret (shop like 7-Eleven), just right in front of the homestay, you can get Angkutan (mini van) to town and of course restaurants just nearby with 1 minutes walking distance. Our room situated at second floor, very neat and clean room/bathroom. They also provided us with free self service coffee / tea. They have very good view of Berastagi town at the rooftop (third floor). There, you can also do hang your laundry / clothes. For our next itinerary, Abdy has discussed very details about climbing the Sibayak Mt., Pariban Hotspring, visit Buddha Gold Temple etc. He also giving few opinion / suggestions about other nearby attractions as well. On the last day we there, we had very good chat time which Abdy telling us about Batak tribe history, the legend of Toba Lake, etc. Honestly, we really had a good time while staying with them and i really highly recommend Berastagi Nachelle Homestay to the future traveller. If i come back to this place, i won't find other place to stay...will definitely stay with them again. To Abdy and Mery, keep up the good work!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Raihana R
Nachellehomestay, Public Relations Manager at Berastagi Nachelle Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Thanks a lot Raihana & Gowri, we have shared great time with both of you, How can we thank you for writing such detailed,honest and wonderful review for our service and hospitality.We all at Homestay,my wife,family and myself are moved with your generosity to write such nice words for all of us. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and had a lovely volcano tour with us. Hope you will come here again to give us another chance to serve you even better.

Thanks for staying with us, Warmest regards, Nachelle, Abdy & Mery

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berastagi
Mikie Holiday Resort
#3 of 15 in Berastagi
Serdika Pavilion
Serdika Pavilion
#2 of 15 in Berastagi

Been to Berastagi Nachelle Homestay? Share your experiences!