“volcano adventure”

Book In Advance
More Info
$70.00*
and up
Private Tour: Karo Highlands and Lake Toba from...
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Berastagi
Reviewed October 1, 2013

An easy walk thru rainforest takes you to the start of the volcanic area. Takes about 1.5 hours at a slow pace. Another 30 minutes gets you to steam vents with sulphur condensed over the rocks and a noise like a jet engine. Then walk past the main crater which people have 'decorated' using large rocks to write their names. You can walk up above the crater for views over berastagi including the geothermal plant and hot springs. Its an hours walk back down. Get your driver to meet you and drive to the hot springs - or its a 45 minute walk. Have a soak in the mineral water while you enjoy a bintang. Change facilities are not great, so take a sarong or large towel. Our guide, Juan, was great. Not really necessary, but there are a few places where the track could be hard to find.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"sunrise hike"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I climbed the volcano on my own from Berastagi without taking a guide. I had instructions how to get there (stayed in Talitha guesthouse, started from their backyard and took a bus to get to park) and I was lucky to meet local students who helped me to find the right path. You need to pay small entrance fee and there was a lovely old man who showed me on map which way to go up and down. Then walk on the normal road for quite some time (1 h) and on your left hand side there will be a big white stone, climb on it and at the end find an inconspicuous entry to the path with steps. This is the way to the top. I had one of the best time on Sibayak. Volcano makes sound and steam which is quite scary but the view is really beautiful and so is the lake. The weather was changeable and at some point very cloudy so lost the track and had to return a bit down and join other group of students (10 guys and 1 girl), who were camping not far from them top, which was really a good decision because it started to rain and I didn't have any rain jacket. Later met 2 German girls who also didn't have anything for rain and these nice guys offered them to stay with us and wait till the rain is gone. I did the peak with girls and we chose other way down to Semangat which was much more difficult and muddy and it started to rain again but finally when we came down there was a small shop and they made us tea and coffee. After that we walked to the village and wanted to take a bus but there was none going so we hitchhiked lorry and they took us to place where we could continue by bus. Incredible day. Btw, for hot spa, I wouldn't go there. Just normal swimming pool with lots of local people.

1  Thank Ksulka
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I booked a tour local tour guide to bring me to the Sibayak volcanic mountain. We started at 7.30am from the lobby of the hotel and took about 1/2 car ride to the foothill of Mt sibayak. It took about one hour hiking on jungle trekking to reach to the crater. I was excited to see all the active stream holes with sulphuric rotten egg smell. The gas was steaming hot and we made sure to avoid them while reaching to the edge of the crater. This was my first experience of thrills and closest encountered with an active volcano. I was at Mt Merapi a few month ago but we were not allowed to go near to the crater area as it was recently errupted 3 years ago. I managed to dig some sulphur samples from Mt sibayak to bring home with me for therapeutic purposes. After which, we proceed to the nearby hot spring pools for a swim. Wow, its refreshing. Would recommend this trip to nature lovers who do not have any leg/knee cap problems.

2  Thank Jaunesk
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had a beautiful ½ day trek watching the sunrise from the top. We had a fantastic local guide "Smiley" (www.drsmiley-sumatra.com) who also gave us a good introduction to plants and wildlife of the volcano.

2  Thank Jacob R