“Very helpful staff but the value of the rooms was poor.”

Sibayak Multinational Resthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berastagi
Sibayak Multinational Resthouse
Ranked #11 of 14 Berastagi B&B and Inns
Aarhus, Denmark
“Very helpful staff but the value of the rooms was poor.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I had the 'cheap' room for 100.000 IDR a night with shared bathroom and toilet. This was not a big issue because I was the only one staying there at the time. The room was smelly and the bed smelled of old sweat... Not so pleasant.
Having said that the staff are very friendly and helpful. I had to leave early morning before the public busses and they took care of my transportation to the town. The surrounding area is beautiful and there's a big garden to hang out in.
It's a 20 min nice walk down to the markets and the town Center, which means that its a quiet place with no traffic to interrupt your stay. If you don't want to walk take the public bus (Karma) for 2000 IDR it will take you straight to the driveway at the hotel.
I don't know if it was only my room that was a bit disgusting but if that was improved or cheaper I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Beritspirit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Meriden, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Sibayak is well located on a hilltop within walking distance of the Berastagi Marker.
The grounds with flowers, and a large pool are nice, and although I was alone, I could hear the enjoyment of the families using the pool.
The room was less than spectacular and if I was paying the week-end 'rack rate' would have been disappointed. It was however clean, the bed was somewhat comfortable, and as noted by others the TV was tiny with limited selection-- I wrote this off to it being in a small town, though I would have enjoy bettr lighting in the rooms for reading.

The restaurant was fine for the Breakfast, and when I wnet in for a late lunch the food was oke, the waiter was pleasant, but it was really slow in coming. The plus side is I was eating outside on a Terrace, with a view of the area, and a nice breeeze whil waiting.
Wothwhile using for location and moreso if you are with a family I think.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel is recommended by the lonely planet but it doesn't really worth it. The room was dirty and stinky. It could have been all right (we have done much worst) but the price was 300 000 ird (other correct hotel are about 100 000 in Berastagi)
So we ran away!!

One good point, it's quiet and the garden is nice.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Stillfarawayfromhome
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We moved to the Sibayak after a bad experience at another hotel (Singabung). It was an improvement, but let down by the standard of the rooms. The bathroom was small and mouldy. There was no washbasin or table/dresser in the bathroom, but rather this was in the bedroom. As you needed to get dressed here you had to close the room windows as there was a lot of passing people outside the window and you were in full view while getting dressed. This was still more convenient than getting dressed in the bathroom. The room had no facilities apart from TV - there was an electric kettle, but no cups, tea or coffee. The hotel has quite a large pool, but it is open to the public for a fee and was quite crowded. At night we went to the Karaoke bar which was a bit of fun. What this hotel did have which the previous one didn’t was a much better breakfast and restaurant area, although apart from the good breakfast we didn't eat there. While I don’t necessarily recommend this hotel, there may not be a lot of other options and perhaps with a higher grade room the stay may be quite acceptable (I think we stayed in a deluxe room - it was the second grade up, booked by a travel agent; if we had to stay again we would try a better grade of room. I think the problem was being school holidays it was quite full)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel room itself is lovely. It is very big and very clean, plus the white color of the wall and tiles makes the room very comfortable. It is value for money - for the price that we paid, we did not expect to get a room that big and that beautiful :) The weather was also lovely (it gets cold during the night, beware of this if you're not used to cold weather). The staffs are quite helpful and friendly. I personally enjoyed the clean bathroom + hot shower, a facility that I wasn't able to get for the past few days.

However, there is a negative point to this hotel. My fellow traveler and I stayed in Brastagi to experience the fruit market and to go around the town, and not to climb Mt Sibayak. However, the hotel is situated particularly for travelers who are going to climb Mt Sibayak. Thus, the location of the hotel is so far from the city center, or from the fruit market. To find the hotel, we had to walk for >30 minutes from the city center ( though we later found out that we're able to use public transport) it was still very tiring having to walk to find the hotel location. We made several phone calls to the hotel staff during our search for the hotel, and their answers were neither satisfactory nor helpful.

So, I definitely recommend this hotel in terms of cleanliness and comfort. But, the location is a bit disadvantageous and too far off for travelers who are looking to enjoy the city of Brastagi. If you are going to climb Mt Sibayak, the hotel is definitely your first choice. :)

Room Tip: Tell the staff you want the room on the newer building, the rooms on the new building are very nice
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, Brazil
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

We were dropped off at the tourist center in Berastagi where an employee offered to show us some places. We took the opelet and after a short ride up we checked out 2 places that we didn't like. We read at the LP guide about this place and decided to look. We chose a double bed room close to the reception. The room was quite humid and the shower was not really hot. The staff is really friendly and the garden is very pleasant, but we decided to move to another place in town. There's really nothing around the GH and since the opelets run until around 8pm it's not very practical.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

The room prices here are quite reasonable but the rooms are basic with no towels or toilet paper (Not sure if this was because we went in December and it was low season, so they just weren't ready for visitors? ) BUT the rooms do have hot water which we had really missed in Indonesia, even though it was just a trickle for a shower!

The room was quite cold and damp and we had to get more sheets from them which they did give us, but I'm guessing the cool temperature would be pretty much the same all year round as Berastagi is in the mountains, so not sure why they don't have heating? (Though I could be wrong and after all we are westerners and expect heating!) And after all, we only had summer clothes!

There were also loads of centipedes all over the floor as they crawl in under the door, but again it could be the time of year we went. The 'restaurant' consists of 2 tables next to a small kitchen and living room where the family were always milling around, and there wasn't always someone there when we wanted food but again the Indonesians aren't quick paced westerners like us. If you're only planning to sleep here then it is more than fine and provides a great base with nice views.

It is located about a 20minute walk from Berastagi centre but the little songieutheu buses go past every 5 minutes so no probs there. The location of it for climbing Mt Sibayak is great as it was right at the foot of it, so just a short walk if you want to climb Sibayak.

The carribean man who runs the place took us up Sibayak, he was very good but a bit pricey as the tourist info centre in Berastagi will do it for a bit cheaper.

I would have thought that other accomodation in Berastagi would be to pretty much the same standard unless you stayed in a 5 star hotel, of which there aren't many! We saw 1 other tourist throughout our stay and the locals kept staring at us as if we a rare sight, suggesting that Berastagi hasn't yet been ruined by tourism. That's why I'm guessing most of the other guesthouses there will be to local standard and not geared up to hoards of foreign tourists. If you're looking for 5 star luxury then why are you going to Berastagi in the first place?! This guesthouse is a good little find, in a great location for exploring and seeing the real Indonesia and ideal for climbing Sibayak which was fantastic as we had it all to ourselves!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lilgreeny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berastagi
Hotel Sibayak International
#1 of 1 in Pondok Brastagi
Serdika Pavilion
Serdika Pavilion
#5 of 14 in Berastagi

Been to Sibayak Multinational Resthouse? Share your experiences!