“Overall a nice time”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Louisville, Kentucky
“Overall a nice time”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'll start by saying the people are very friendly. I stayed in the 2br villa (i think #3) at the far end of the resort. I had the place to myself the first night, and I loved it. It is basically a private house on the ocean. It has a small dip pool to cool off in. Very lovely sitting area next to the ocean. Nice outdoor patio and kitchen area. The grounds are beautiful.

Another couple checked in the 2nd bedroom the 2nd afternoon, and the place felt different. No longer a private terrace to hang out on. Felt weird with people hanging out directly outside my glass wall to my bedroom. If you can get this villa with another person/couple you know, it's awesome.

Logistics - It costs $90 roundtrip to get there, and is between 3 to 3.5 hour ride from the airport. The ride is adventurous, driving in Bali is a bit crazy. It's a 2 lane road most of the way and the lines in the road are just for guidance, people don't really pay attention to them. I'd book a ride with the hotel vs. driving on my own, and I love to drive!

More logistics - I never was really sure how the place worked. Breakfast is in one area, there is a seperate restaurant down the street from the dive shop that serves dinner (for a fee, price not bad, food OK). The villas are about a mile down the road from the dive shop. When I got to the dive shop (which is also where you check in i guess), they wanted to make sure i could drive a motorcycle. Hmmm... I said it's been a while, but got a quick reminder course on how to change gears. That's how you get to the dive shop and restaurant, on a motorcycle. If not, you somehow need to arrange a ride with the resort. But there's no phone in the villa, so you need to go to where the breakfast is served and ask somebody to arrange.

The dive shop is right across the street from the Liberty shipwreck. it's about a 3 minute walk. Shore entry is rocky, and the guide helped me a few times keep my balance. 2nd day we drove 2.5 hours back towards Kuta to catch a boat out to Crystal Bay and areas around there. The gear rode with us, instead of going before hand. So we had to wait for the gear to get loaded onto the boats. We had coffee at a restaurant across the street. Dives were good. On the way back, one of the guys had to manually pump the fuel to the engines. That was something i've never seen before, but we made it. Once we were back, it seemed a bit chaotic. Nobody was really sure which car they should be in, how long we needed to wait, etc. Kind of a Chinese fire drill.

So they're not the best in logistics in my opinion. But if you can handle going with the flow it's not too bad, and the fact they're so friendly helps the situation.

The area - there is nothing really around the resort. A few little restaurants, not much else. To me that was part of the attraction, getting away from the chaos of Kuta. So if you're after nightlife this is not the place for you.

Overall I am happy, it's not the Four Seasons by any means. But the area is pretty beautiful and peaceful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Clay C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Saint-Damase
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We went to Tulamben Wreck divers Resort after checking on Tripadvisor for a good place to dive and stay while in Tulamben. I must say that this resort is really nice especially if you have a room at pool level. It's a bit more expensive but the room are very comfortable. The only reason I'm not giving an «excellent» rating is because the shower had almost no pressure so it was a bit hard to wash. It was way easier to rinse ourselves by jumping in the pool 5 steps out of our room. Staff was very nice and for almost nothing you could have a massage in your room at will.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Only did the diving for the day, was brilliant, lovely staff, very friendly and professional, very good dive gear and i had 1on1 diving so was great! wide variety of sea life to see, and other locations for diving too. Definately a visit, id go again and stay in the resort!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Elle M
Paris, France
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at the TWD for 5nights and this experience was unforgettable !
clean spacious room (num 5) with a small garden, friendly and helpful staff, great diving sites ( liberty, coral garden, the wall .....) funny and Professional dive guides and a unique instructor Erik !
even if there is nothing to do in tulambe, ( no shops, nightlife, activities) this remains one of my favorite destinations !!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank maysou m
Henley
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the villas for the 2nd time. They really are in a beautiful location with a gorgeous pool overlooking the sea.

The rooms are a good size with a nice outdoor shower. The diving is excellent and we were well looked after by our divemasters. The shore entry can be tricky on the rocky beach if there a big waves but you can suit up in the sea if you find it difficult to enter with the tank on your back.

Breakfast is simple but good and the BBQ was nice.

Would definitely go back

• Stayed August 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just got back from a dive trip to Bali and Tulamben is absolutely gorgeous. TWD really made this trip so extra special with their friendly and unassuming dive masters, wonderful sizzling breakfasts every morning, clean and simple rooms that have everything you need. The best is the breathtaking views of the sea, we even got to see dolphins swimming by during sunrise! We were in a big group and got to use the larger villa by the sea, everything was absolutely perfect. It's not luxury but comfortable, clean, and made more special with the great service. You definitely feel the love once you step in! The diving was great and the DMs are the best!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just finished a 2days, 3 nights diving trip with a big group at Tulamben Wreck Divers Resort. Did 5 day dives and 1 night dive.The staff were all very friendly and helpful - the drivers who picked us up from the airport, the ladies who cooked and cleaned our rooms and most importantly our dive guides!

Stayed at the room closest to the dive shop. The resort has 3 areas of accommodation - a few rooms near the dive shop, another block of rooms down the road and a beach side villa. My room was spacious and clean - fan, air con, fridge and tv (didn't switch it on though!). There's also a pool - always nice to jump in after a dive.=

Every morning, the ladies cooked us breakfast - you'll get a choice of fruit juice/fruit platter, cornflakes+milk / eggs+bacon+sausage / toast with jam/vegemite (for the Australians out there!).

The dive team at the resort is really good - there are at least 8 dive guides I think.. and one instructor. Full service here - they will setup your gear (wetsuit, weights, fins, mask+snorkel included in the package, BCD rental USD 5/day, Regulator rental USD5/day) - and have guys bring it to the dive site. all you have to do is, put on your suit, wear your weight belt and booties, carry your mask and fins.. and walk to the shore.

The ratio to dive guides to guests was also very good - 1 guide to no more than 5 guests. Our divemaster was Putu - he's really patient and attentive - he noticed I was having trouble with my buoyancy and coached me along the way. He would also go at a slow pace, so we could all have a chance to see what he pointed out to us (nudi branches, pygmy seahorses, tiny prawns). We also had a lot of trouble walking on the stones on the shore at Tulamben and Kuta, with all our gear on our backs, the divemasters guided us and made sure that we didn't fall.

The food at the resort is also very very good. I really loved the "fish tempura" - fresh tuna coated in batter and deep fried, served with a tomato based 'sambal'.. Their tempe was also delicious, I kept eating it!

I don't know what the other resorts in Tulamben are like.. but compared to the other dive resorts that I've been to, Tulamben Wreck Divers is probably one of the better ones! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Choose one further away from the road, as there's a karaoke/night cafe across the road that oper...