I'll start by saying the people are very friendly. I stayed in the 2br villa (i think #3) at the far end of the resort. I had the place to myself the first night, and I loved it. It is basically a private house on the ocean. It has a small dip pool to cool off in. Very lovely sitting area next to the ocean. Nice outdoor patio and kitchen area. The grounds are beautiful.
Another couple checked in the 2nd bedroom the 2nd afternoon, and the place felt different. No longer a private terrace to hang out on. Felt weird with people hanging out directly outside my glass wall to my bedroom. If you can get this villa with another person/couple you know, it's awesome.
Logistics - It costs $90 roundtrip to get there, and is between 3 to 3.5 hour ride from the airport. The ride is adventurous, driving in Bali is a bit crazy. It's a 2 lane road most of the way and the lines in the road are just for guidance, people don't really pay attention to them. I'd book a ride with the hotel vs. driving on my own, and I love to drive!
More logistics - I never was really sure how the place worked. Breakfast is in one area, there is a seperate restaurant down the street from the dive shop that serves dinner (for a fee, price not bad, food OK). The villas are about a mile down the road from the dive shop. When I got to the dive shop (which is also where you check in i guess), they wanted to make sure i could drive a motorcycle. Hmmm... I said it's been a while, but got a quick reminder course on how to change gears. That's how you get to the dive shop and restaurant, on a motorcycle. If not, you somehow need to arrange a ride with the resort. But there's no phone in the villa, so you need to go to where the breakfast is served and ask somebody to arrange.
The dive shop is right across the street from the Liberty shipwreck. it's about a 3 minute walk. Shore entry is rocky, and the guide helped me a few times keep my balance. 2nd day we drove 2.5 hours back towards Kuta to catch a boat out to Crystal Bay and areas around there. The gear rode with us, instead of going before hand. So we had to wait for the gear to get loaded onto the boats. We had coffee at a restaurant across the street. Dives were good. On the way back, one of the guys had to manually pump the fuel to the engines. That was something i've never seen before, but we made it. Once we were back, it seemed a bit chaotic. Nobody was really sure which car they should be in, how long we needed to wait, etc. Kind of a Chinese fire drill.
So they're not the best in logistics in my opinion. But if you can handle going with the flow it's not too bad, and the fact they're so friendly helps the situation.
The area - there is nothing really around the resort. A few little restaurants, not much else. To me that was part of the attraction, getting away from the chaos of Kuta. So if you're after nightlife this is not the place for you.
Overall I am happy, it's not the Four Seasons by any means. But the area is pretty beautiful and peaceful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Standard, Superior and Penthouse Rooms are at our dive centre hotel, right in the centre of Tulamben. Our Beachfront Villa Suites are about 1km out of Tulamben and we provide free scooters or car shuttle to get you to our dive centre and/or local restaurants for meals - breakfast is served at the villas. We recommend the Beachfront Villa Suites for guests who like very quiet accommodation. Both locations are set in tropical gardens with sparkling pools, modern and very clean. All rooms have air conditioning & ceiling fans, hot/cold water, fridge / mini Bar, tea and coffee making facilities, TV with DVD player for playing DVDs (there is no TV program) Our room rates include full, cooked, breakfast - we even have vegemite! Tulamben is a small village, about 3.5 hours from the international airport and famous tourist destinations such as Kuta, Legian, Seminyak, Sanur, and Ubud. The village is almost completely geared towards scuba diving - there is also some snorkeling. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Tulamben Wreck Divers Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tulamben Wreck Divers Hotel Tulamben
- Tulamben Wreck Divers Resort Bali