“Nice diving, average food”

Scuba Seraya Resort
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Livermore, CA
“Nice diving, average food”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed at Scuba Seraya for five days. The resort is under new management as of 2013. The diving is excellent, with good guides ... in particular Paing was very helpful and a great spotter. The accommodations are nice, we liked our villa. There are a few issues however with sealing of the villa to avoid mosquitos. There were a lot of ants also. The air conditioner in our villa was not working well but fortunately it was not too hot while we were there.

The food was very average and in some cases rather low quality--low quality ingredients were used. In order to go into Tulamben from the resort you have to take a taxi and it is expensive for what it is ... 5 minute ride for $10 or so. Outdoor bathtub in the villa was run down/unused.

There was a bait and switch regarding pricing on massage--we were told one price and then when we were presented the bill the price had gone up 30%.

Overall, it's a good place to stay for divers, but as a resort only or for non-divers I wouldn't really recommend it. Final rating: Diving 4 stars, Resort 3 stars.

Room Tip: Villas are more spacious but the maisonettes are more practical and might actually cool more easily...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank C K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
murrieta
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at Scuba Seraya from October 13th through the 19, 2013. I have been to Bali a couple of times before and found the diving to be good. This time I dove the Seraya Secrets house reef. Wow I was impressed, some of the best diving I have done in Indonesia.

The resort is more than Excellent….The Balinese kill you with kindness. The food at the resort is Excellent no reason to go outside for Dinner. The dive operation and Guides again excellent!

I had been pick pocketed in Beijing a few days before arriving in Bali. Mika the manager bent over backwards helping me to get replacement Credit Cards.

Overall impression of Scuba Seraya…Excellent…I’ll be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank travelnsj
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was our 4th visit to Scuba Seraya and once again we loved it. The resort has recently changed hands and is virtually unchanged. The diving is always great, the food fantastic and reasonably priced, the staff are delightful and the divemasters excellent. Our gear was well looked after and at the end carefully cleaned. We had 5 nights this time and just love the way we feel so at home. We were disappointed that there was no white wine or arak available, only some mixed drinks and Bintang...it would have been lovely to enjoy a wine with our dinner. Not so sure about some of the redecorating being done either (bed canopies) but overall it was great. I had access to a computer where I could catch up with family at home. We LOVE this idyllic location away from the crazy bustle. For macro photographers there is plenty of small creatures to find....harlequin shrimps, pygmy seahorses and ghost pipefish to name a few!

Room Tip: We always have a maisonette which has an outdoor bathroom. Each maisonette has a verandah with a cou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sonowatashi
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed here because we wanted to muck dive and we loved it. The guides are great at spotting critters and every dive had a least one Wow! moment. Wonderful diving, nice staff, and pleasant hotel. We would like to return some day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The staff at this hotel were nice enough and the room as fine. Decent value for money if you are passing through. Food was tasty and reasonable. One thing that really annoyed me was that they got me to try a card for the Internet then it didn't work. They didn't charge me. I kept asking as I had an urgent e mail to send. Left it till the next day when I was checking out and they said it still didn't t work. Two people around me had their lap tops open and were checking e mails.

The pool is fine and in general everything is good for the money. The beach is nothing amazing though and in general I would recommend passing through and going to another place on the island where beaches or the hotel is better.

I didn't t try the diving so perhaps that was the key.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank olzhoward
Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you want peace and quiet, great diving, brilliant staff and lovely accommodation this is the place. I have just come back from a 17 day trip with my husband which is probably my 5th or 6th visit and his 8th or 9th. We will be going back again. There are no TV,s, telephones, computers, late night bars or other distractions. What there is is a fantastic dive centre that is very relaxed and pretty much organises diving to suit you, with 2 boats to get you wherever you want to go. The guides are great and do whatever they can to help you. There is a restaurant that serves good quality food with a menu that has plenty to choose from and a staff that will always try to cater for any request. There are rooms that are comfortable with lovely outdoor bathrooms surrounded by beautiful gardens. We normally stay in a villa (I love the huge daybed that overlooks the garden and beachfront) but have also spent time in the maisonettes and been perfectly happy. There is a great relaxed atmosphere with staff that look after you really well and will make every effort to accommodate any request. Cannot wait for the next trip. Going to Seraya feels like going to my second home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amandakatzone
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 26, 2013

a wonderful welcome (as always in indonesia),a simply very good resort,friendly staff,very competent diving staff(+smile and kind advice),extraordinary dives-if you love critters,but,there are bigger things around too:sharks,bunmpheads,batfishes,rays etc-A kind of mini-lembeh!
Beautiful garden..What else?(I missed fish on the menu,but ok,the rest was quite palatable)
all in all:perfect stay with nice people,not crowded and just relaxing.I rarely visit twice the same place:this will be an exception!
Thanks to you all

Room Tip: try the villas in front of the sea,they are real luxury and relax
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulamben
Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
#5 of 12 in Tulamben
Bali Dive Resort and Spa
Bali Dive Resort and Spa
#1 of 14 in Tulamben

Been to Scuba Seraya Resort? Share your experiences!