“Heaven for Divers”

and 1 more site!
Scuba Seraya Resort
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Scuba Seraya was built by a diver and it is heaven for scuba divers. To begin with the cottages are all well laid out, very clean and comfortable. The staff is beyond helpful and friendly. The food is very edible and reasonably priced.The diving area is very well laid out for divers- plenty of storage, camera areas, rinse tanks. The dive guides are very knowledgeable and personable. Some have worked there since they opened 11 years ago. The diving out front is easily accessible and is a gentle sandy slope. It is critter divining. They also have a nice diving boat to take you to other spots on the coast, should you want other types of dives. All the diving from shore or via boat- all with guides if you want- was also very reasonable. We dive in many areas around the world and found Scuba Seraya delightful. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: try and get the ocean front cottages- a bit more , but really worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drbw1

Reviewed January 2, 2012

This was our last place to stay in Bali before sadly leaving the country but it was also one of the most memorable too. There are only 12 villas and we stayed in M5, a basic hotel room with the standard Bali style open-air bathroom and furnishings. The room was very clean and well-maintained with plush towels provided for both the room and the diving/swimming etc. I loved that our room was just feet away from the ocean and at night you could hear the waves.

The restaurant was open-air as well and served a large variety of food that was all delicious. They were very accomodating about subsitutions for breakfast, lunch and dinnner. Coffee and tea are served all day long. Restaurant staff were excellent and very friendly.

The dive shop is right on the premises and was staffed by a variety of local guides who were all knowlegeable about the dive sites and critters. One guide in particulalar was able to share stories with us about the Liberty Wreck as he grew up hearing his father talk about it's demise. His father was one of the people called into the area to help protect the ship from vandals etc. My only complaint about the diving is that I wasn't allowed to dive at my own pace but found myself often racing across the reef to keep up with the guides. Though this might not really have been the fault of the dive masters but more of the group that we were diving with; other guests at the resort that were grouped together with us on the boat.

The resort had two dive boats, a small and medium sized boat, both outfitted for tanks and back-roll entry. The staff take care of everything regarding your tank/BCD/regulator. All we have to do was put on our wetsuit, grab our fins, weightbelt and mask and head out to the boat. The dives were fantastic with lots of big fish and variety of coral and colors. Lots of photographers here too. There was a large group at the resort during most of the time that we were there but never felt like we'd been bumped from diving the wreck as a previous reviewer had indicated. Doris, the manager, was wonderful and the owner was pleasant to speak with when he was around.

I tried the massage one day and thought the woman did a fantastic job. Just didn't care too much for the pool-side massage table and the guests talking loudly in the pool during the massage.

And my favorite spot was the cushioned, comfortable lounge chairs on the deck by the ocean. I could sit there for hours and hours! We've been home for less than 24 hours and I'm already missing the place so much. Thank you Scuba Seraya for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: The villas are closer to the ocean with a private yard, they looked nice. But so was our room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AliciaPhxtoHK
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed here in October this year. Absolutely loved it. Doris, the liason couldnt have been more helpful and accomodating. The dive guides were really helpful and fun. The food was great... The menu contained plenty of things that I (a rather fussy eater) would eat... There was plenty of cake available during the day (and of course snacks too).
The house reef diving is superb although I would recommend booking trips to the Liberty wreck before you go as we did (just to avoid potential disappointment later).
I would definitely go back and I'd do exactly the same things again. :-)

Room Tip: M6 was a great room
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at Scuba Seraya in October, and from start to finish had a amazing time. The staff were very helpful and went out of their way to make our stay fantastic. The dive staff were brilliant, and the house reef didn't disappoint. If diving here, I would recommend the liberty wreck, and for something a bit different, Amed and the Japanese wreck. Having said that both the house reef and other boat dives provided some excellent photography opportunties.
I travelled in a group of 14 underwater photographers, and we were all very well catered for. Can't fault the accommodation, facilities, staff or diving. I would definitely stay at Scuba Seraya again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at Scuba Seraya from Aug. 6 thru 12 for UW photography. Sadly I flooded two Olympus XZ-1 on the first & second dive days separately due to housing defect.

As we had paid all the planned dives before our arrival at Seraya, I checked with & got confirmed by resort manager on the second dive day that my aborted dives for dive day 3, 4 amd 5 WILL BE REFUNDED.

On the day I left resort, the supervisor was refunding me only US$300 out of US$476; the remaining US$176 was confiscated by the supervisor Iis Shanti who says this is the best she can do!

Room Tip: Ask for terms and conditions in black & white for your dive package before you book your trip.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Steve K
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2011 and have mixed views.

The good parts were the beautiful ocean front villa, the lovely Indonesian staff and the great dive guides. When we booked only the villas were available and we soooo loved what we got. Our villa was incredibly beautiful , spotlessly clean , huge and we fell asleep listening to the waves.

Our dive guide , Sanut ( excuse the spelling) could not have been better . He was kind and friendly and extremely helpful. This was our first stop on a 3 week dive trip and Sanut was absolutely brilliant . Diving the Liberty wreck was awsome , but despite coming all the way from Denpasar for 3 nights , we only had one dive there !! A large group were in and they seemed to get priority over us when it came to the wreck dives.

Also highly recommended are the massages !

The not so good things were the food and the Swiss owner , who only spoke to me once in 3 days when we were leaving and never at all to my husband.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ire123
Reviewed June 13, 2011

In June 18 underwater photographers took over the entire resort. The resort took care of everything including diving, food and accomidations. We really enjoyed the dive masters as well as the rest of the entire staff who anticipated our every need. Great time was had by all.... Hight recommend.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulamben
Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
Liberty Dive Resort
Liberty Dive Resort
#5 of 12 in Tulamben
Tauch Terminal Resort Tulamben & Spa

Been to Scuba Seraya Resort? Share your experiences!