“Great diving, accomodation and location”

Tauch Terminal Resort Tulamben & Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I got a special internet offer of a 5 night B and B stay, with 10 shore dives and return transfer from anywhere in Bali for a very good price.

Pick up from the airport was efficient and the drive, whilst long was very interesting. Tulamben was very quiet and the resort even quieter, with only three rooms occupied on the first couple of nights. After a little bit of negotiation I managed to move from the older block by the restuarant to a far newer and better room by the dive centre.

I had a wonderfully relaxing stay. The accomodation is absolutely beautiful: a large perfectly appointed and beautifully furnished room with decking leading onto the the garden , the pool and the sea beyond was fantastic to wake up to every morning.

The dive arrangement was great , all of the equipment was prepared and rinsed by the guides. All of the other guests were from Germany and being very experienced divers they did self-guided dives on the Liberty wreck and the sites in front of the resort. This meant that for virtually all of the dives I did it was just me and a guide. It was such a treat to have the wreck and the reefs virtually to ourselves and to have 60 minute plus dives every time. The guides were incredibly cheerful and kind and helpful, and we saw so many beautiful creatures. I did 4 night dives on the wreck which were fantastic, we saw the bumphead parrotfish heading out for the night, more coming back into the wreck for the night , others falling asleep , and more waking up ! Other highlights were the four relatively friendly black tipped sharks in residence on the reef opposite the resort, massive groupers inside the wreck and a cute turtle posing on the wreck's coral-covered gun.

After the night dives I often had a 10 USD massage on the terrace under the starlight from one of several lovely massage ladies.

If anything could have been a little better, then perhaps the food might have been a teeny weeny little bit better, but the menu was very varied and the service was incredibly fast. However the resort is in a very isolated area and the standard of accomodation, the wonderful diving and the lovely staff more than made up.

After 5 lovely days of Balinese sunshine . relaxing, pampering and diving with wonderful marine creatures, I was dropped off at Sanur, truly feeling like a new me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer block by the dive centre.The rooms on the ground floor have beautiful de...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank ire123

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had a late opportunity to take a break in Bali. I have been to Tulamben several times but my usual accommodation was full. I enquired of Tauch Terminal whether they had space for me giving them a very clear picture of my requirements for the diving part of my stay - I am a very experience diver needing specific skills from my dive guide.

I was assured that their dive guides would be up to the task and that all my requirements would be met.

I agreed to a 7 days 6 nights 12 dive package.

The pickup from the Airport and transfer to Tulamben was very efficient. The accommodation was excellent well above what I had expected for the price. The included breakfast was adequate.

The problem came when I looked for the diving. Things were clearly slow i.e. not many divers on the resort. Despite this the dive guides were very unhelpful in attempts to discuss my needs. They had a set 4 dive per day regime and all anyone wanted to know was which of the 4 dives I was going t take up each day. I finally found the manager who explained the system and re-assured e that all his guides were excellent critter hunters. The problems became clear as soon as I came to dive. I rarely had the same guide twice. They were conditioned to giving their guests the routine tour. Despite being the only diver I found it near impossibe to get the dive guide to look for the creatures I was specifically interested in. Given that this area is the best in the world for my type of diving I was continually frustrated. I did not dive my package quota and on my last day took my equipment to another dive centre and dived with them. On that dive I found more of what I was looking for than in the whole of the time with the Tauch Terminal guides.

This resort appears to be orientated around small family groups with children where the adults are diving certified and will occassionally take the opportunity to do so.

So in terms of accommodation and service on that side I cannot fault them. But serious divers should look to the other dive centres that abound and can accommodate those who know what they are doing.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Stayed here with two friends at the end of November for four nights. Very pretty resort and beautifully sculptured grounds - the rooms are wonderfully decorated and spotlessly clean. The food in the restaurant was excellent (if you can cope with the remarkable number of flies!) and the restaurant staff fantastic. There is a small spa on the grounds and the massages are reasonably priced and excellent.

There is a lovely bar in the grounds, next to the sea - a perfect setting for a gentle session on the Bintang, thought we, to ourselves on our first night. That the only music was the Cafe Del Mar Volume 2 CD, which, although an ancient album now had accompanied me during my post-University travels through Asia in 1998, actually contributed to a most pleasant evening indeed.

That being said, we stayed at Tauch Tulamben for four nights and by the third night if you had given me a spare length of rope I would happily have hung myself. There is, literally, nothing to do at this resort (or the surrounding area) in the evening. The lovely bar in the perfect setting turned out to have only one CD... and that CD was the same CD they played, on repeat, every single night.

Don't get me wrong - we certainly weren't looking for some kind of boozy noisy resort scene - but to sit almost as if in a graveyard, listening to the same CD over and over and over and over and over again, was nothing short of painful. Halfway through the second night we asked if there was another CD, and were told "yes Bob Marley". So at least from that point on we had two CDs to listen to over and over and over and over and over and over again.

My two friends had paid for the unlimited dive package yet were amazed at the lack of variety of the dive sites - they decided at the end of the second day that it wasn't worth doing anymore dives, because they were all the same... This therefore meant that the evenings were very much looked forward to to alleviate the nothingness of the days....So even though I'm sure my rant about the CD sounds like a insignificant gripe (and believe me I can be very happy whiling the time away in a relaxing resort, doing very little with no problem at all), it very much added to the feeling that we were wasting our time in some form of suspended Indonesian blackhole.

However, if deathly quiet morning, noon and night is what you're looking for, then you definitely won't be disappointed with the Tauch Tulamben!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have good views of the sea whereas the garden level rooms have lovely beds and table...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank KarenLN75
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and it was okay, but...

We were in Room 2, which was on the ground floor, and just behind the dive centre. It's great to be able to just walk 5 steps to the dive centre, but with the resort facilities being quite crowded, we cant really leave our blinds for the front glass doors & panels open, so lacks a bit of privacy.

The food was good, but wines are very expensive because of the Indonesian tax.

Anyhow, since most people stays at the resort for the diving... my rating reflects mostly about what I think of their dive operation.

The sites were great, but the dive operation was only so-so. It is true that you can just stroll down and dive the Liberty Wreck or any other shore dive site in the vicinity, but the earliest we were able to dive with no guides was 7:15 am and not earlier. There were guided dives as well, but the dive guides seem to treat it as 'just a job' and lack enthusiasm. There were no dive briefs or maps. For our first dive, we were placed with a big group which did not seem very experienced, and some of the divers in the group chewed up air within 30min, so the dive guide left with them and we were left on our own to navigate through the site ourselves - which is a bit hard without a dive brief. They also got very impatient and made a lot of noise under water (banging tanks and carrying on) if you go over your '60 min dive time' by a few seconds, which is really not cool for us who are videographers. The porters are a novelty, but be careful of how they treat your gear. My BCD was damaged, and when we were looking for my missing inflator mouth piece, we discovered that there were bits and pieces of dive equipment all over the beach. Scary really... and I never found the mouth piece either. The dive operation personnel didn't even bother to help us look nor apologise for the mishap.

The best dive we did was our last dive which is the night dive on the Liberty Wreck with a guide, who spent 80 min with us and pointing out everything... it was only after the dive that we found out he was a freelance and doesn't actually work for TT, but got asked to assist because that night was busy...

So, if I was to go back to Tulamben again, I'd stay somewhere else... I defintely do not recommend Tauch Terminal dive operation.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alphaleo01
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed here for only one night as it was a bit out of our budget at the time (approx. $113AUD) however we thoroughly enjoyed diving with their dive centre. Our dive master was lovely and pointed out lots of fabulous marine life while on the dive. We will definitely come back to dive with them again but we need to find slightly cheaper accommodation to enable this. The resort was beautiful and our 1st floor room was fantastic with a great view and beautiful day beds jutting out from the balcony. The shower water pressure was heavenly!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tiffany R
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We took our dive group to Tauch for 6 days before going on to Wakatobi for 11 days. We wanted to stay away from Kuta and the crowds and experience some diving in Bali. The wreck just off the resort is a great dive and there are several other good beach dives from the resort. However, our group prefers boat diving so we booked 3 days of 2 tank boat dives and 1 day of unlimited beach diving. The resort offers free nitrox, but we later learned that they could only provide nitrox for the beach dives there in Tulamben. Then we learned that the boat diving was from Padangbai, about an hour and a half back down the coast toward Denpasur. The drive was comfortable enough in air conditioned buses and vans, but it made the 2 tank dive day very long, not to mention the nerve-wracking drive back and forth on hectic 2 lane 'highways', though it did provide us with a great land tour of this beautiful island, rice paddies, towns, etc. Driving in Bali is quite scary and hazardous and we're glad we left it to the resort to get us back and forth. The resort operators, managers, dive masters, restaurant staff, housekeeping, and massage therapists were all very nice and provided excellent service with lots of kindness and expertise. We all thoroughly enjoyed the resort experience. One of the group needed gluten-free diet and they accommodated all her menu needs every meal. The dive staff went to great lengths to fix a problem with a piece of dive gear and all the dive staff were fun, capable and professional. The managers were very accomodating to everyone in our group, including one couple with a 3 year old baby. Prices on Bali were very reasonable, even in the resort. We went over to Mimpi for our last night's dinner and had a very nice meal, but more expensive and a more limited menu. The dive shop did accommodate one diver's medical need for nitrox on the boat and transported 2 tanks to Padangbai each day, but they explained they didn't have the means to bring enough nitrox for the entire group, which was a disappointment to many who expected free nitrox all week. With only 2 dives a day it didn't matter much. We enjoyed having morning coffee and then lunch in Padangbai at a pre-arranged restaurant where we met with Leo, our really cool divemaster from Lithuania, and boat crew. All of them were great and very happy to make sure we were comfortable and happy with the boat experience and diving. Almost being run over by the tourist submarine at one dive site was a little unnerving but added to the excitement and newness of that particular underwater experience. One down side is the relentless hawking by street and beach merchants and even begging and conning at the Goa Lawah Bat Caves, which was surprising to us since it is a sacred temple to local culture. The women there practically attacked members of our group with trinkets and bead necklaces which we politely refused but had to put up with having them put around our heads - very pushy and thoughtless of our social comfort levels. Later they came back and asked for money for the beads we didn't want. Things got quite unpleasant as we tried to get back to our van and give back the beads. The tourism associations in Bali need to get a grip on this aspect of the traveler's experience. We resent being targets for handouts, cheap merchandise we don't want, or money-changing scams, but we realize it often comes with the destinations one choses. Overall, our group had a great time in Bali and at Tauch Terminal Dive Resort and we recommend the resort to divers and non divers looking for an intimate resort experience with all amenities available. We enjoyed Tulamben but probably would have stayed at Tauch Terminal in Padangbai if we had known about the boat diving being only from there. We would have done a one day drive up to the wreck and had more resort time with less drive time. Since this part of the trip was really a warm up for the Wakatobi portion, we had different expectations for staying on Bali. Our trip to Wakatobi was an entirely different experience and shouldn't be compared to Bali. Wakatobi is in a class by itself, but you pay the price for that kind of experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We stayed here for diving with the opinion that this was a perfect dive resort; but soon we found out that the Internet access was so unreliable and slow that we had to move to another resort just do some basic things like email with friends or managing hotel and plane reservations. Yes, it is great to be able to roll out of your room and into the water for a dive at a world famous wreck dive; but on the other hand, diving is more than just "diving", there is also "everything else" which includes being able to connect with the rest of the world. We would love this resort, but the Internet configuration was so broken and the way they do access to Singapore via satellite made access hopeless most of the time. Given the fact the channel is small, and the staff watches YouTube videos a lot of the time, does not leave much for guests, that is for sure. The managers mentioned that this was typical of East Bali, but we went down the road a few kilometers to Amed and found resorts and villas with very fast and perfectly reliable Internet access. I am an "IT savvy" diver, so I am a bit puzzled when dive resorts tell me "we don't know about IT" and the owners don't seem to care enough to insure a very positive experience. This could be a great resort; but after staying at a number of resorts around Tulamben, Amed and Candi Dasa, I think it is much better to stay in a modern, new resort in Amed and make a short 20 minute trip to Tulumben for diving there. Amed has great dive sites as well. We are currently in a resort in Amed and the service quality is much better than Tauch Terminal, we are sad to report. We are happy in Amed and it is unlikely we would stay at Tulmanben again. We might stay at Tauch Terminal if they completely changed their Internet service provide and built a solid WiFI infrastructure; but on the other hand, there are much better resorts in Amed for less month, or just about the same, that are far, far superior in all aspects. The only "downside" is a 20 minute ride to Tulamben, which is nothing really considering all the benefits of staying in a new resort in Amed with better facilities.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank firestardude
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulamben
Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
#5 of 12 in Tulamben
Scuba Seraya Resort
Scuba Seraya Resort
#6 of 12 in Tulamben

Been to Tauch Terminal Resort Tulamben & Spa? Share your experiences!