“Fantastic Teacher and Efficient Organiser's - super experience !”

Reef Wreck and Critter - Underwater Photography
More attraction details
Owner description: Underwater Photography Courses & Live Aboard Underwater Photography Diving Tours in Indonesia
Mumbai, India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic Teacher and Efficient Organiser's - super experience !”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Having jumped into the ocean diving lured me deep into its lair with no chance of escape:-) Photography was a natural next move. From film to digital was a weird change for me, so a flight to Bali took me under the very capable tutelage of Jeff Mullins. I learnt the basics of digital photography and in two days was taking wing and flight.In just a few years, thanks to him i have now penned articles for international magazines, coffee table books and have had several calendars published with my pics being used in all and even won a few international awards. He is indeed a great "guruji". Post that i have taken two liveaboard trips with Dawn and Jeff. One to komodo and another to Lembeh/Bangka/Bunaken. Both were amazing experiences. Dawn and Jeff are a bundle of positive energy and took the trouble in searching for new dive sites, teaching you and giving great photo tips in the water. They even go through a selection process for the chef on board! Evenings are reserved for all to learn photoshop or lightroom techniques and other photo skills. Safety while diving is never compromised. I have shot some of my best images while on a live-aboard with them. Having lived in Indonesia for many years, they have local expertise , knowledge and acumen to arrange trips which are, in my opinion, a touch above the rest. I would and am taking more trips with them and would not hesitate in recommending their services at all given times.

Most pictures showcased have been taken while on liveaboard with them with a different set of Camera/housing/strobe combo.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank Digant D

Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hey fish..... say cheese!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Two most accommodating folk are rare to meet. It was by last minute chance and a stroke of good fortune, that I had the opportunity of two days of underwater photography tuition.

I would never have dreamed the content could be so intense, comprehensive and practical. I had been fiddling around for a while trying to get it right, but Jeff and Dawn at Reef Wreck and Critter made it all come together.

A real turning point in the skills of my passionate hobby, underwater photography, which gave me the tools to show and hopefully inspire others to preserve what lies within our precious oceans.

I hope to have Jeff and Dawn tutor me again, because the wealth of the information to gain in another two days will be amazing.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Mish M
Dauin, Philippines
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Local Experts”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Apparently I am the first reviewer on this page not from Perth, not on the Komodo trip, and not a formal customer. I was pursuing macro photo subjects at Liberty Dive Resort in Tulamben, Bali. Jeff was teaching a one-on-one course with a lady also diving at the resort (diving a compact point and shoot). Luckily for me, we all ended up eating dinner together at the resort one night. Jeff offered me some great advice and even asked me bring my DSLR, housing, and strobes to the table. I soon realized that I would benefit from his wealth of knowledge and asked to take his course. Unfortunately for me, Jeff was booked up for my entire stay. Book early!

Jeff kindly offered me advice over following days. I saw that his student’s knowledge and equipment setup were enhanced after one day- and her photos were hugely improved. My shots also improved based on his advice alone, and I had already been taking shots that made me proud. Makes me wonder how much better my shots would be after a day of dedicated training. If you are a beginner or a serious amateur underwater shooter, Jeff can help you out.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank DiveXplorer
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Indo dive trips ever...!!! :)”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I first met Jeff and Dawn last century :) but only really got to know them in the last few years. I've done three international dive/photography trips with them, to Alor, Manado & the Lembeh Strait, and quite recently to Komodo. Going on a diving trip with these guys is just bliss!!!
They organise everything – to get you there (and back!) as well as a great dive boat, facilities and crew. Jeff and Dawn live and have travelled extensively through the region and know the ‘hot spots’ as well as ‘out of the way gems’ that will blow you away.....Jeff can pick a new dive spot (or a current) at 500ft and Dawn can arrange anything from great modelling shots, critter spotting or a superb dinner to replacement light globes in your room! Their trips are deliberately small so that you get serious time with both of them, and you get great instruction in pre-during-post-dive photography, Lightroom and/or Photoshop post-processing, and some serious lessons on how to use your own camera! Jeff amazingly knows all! His experience in photography surpasses his uncanny ability to get the best out of every camera on the market – amazing, I don’t know how he does it!!
The crew they organise on boats are often hand-picked. As they do lots of trips, they know the good skippers, dive-masters and dive guides, so they can often tailor a trip with their preferred free-lance personnel who are fantastic critter spotters and great reef champions in their region. When you think about that, you are supporting the local people rather than huge dive travel companies who take profits offshore. SUPPORT THE LOCALS I say!!
Oh, did I mention the WOW moments on each dive in Komodo??? Never seen that, or that, that, that or that etc....!!! And what the ___ holy (??) heck is that?????
Travel hassles are minimised as Jeff haggles about the “group luggage” to keep it all sensible and costs low for everyone, while Dawn seamlessly arranges all the ticketing transfers and accommodation - this is really cushy travel folks! I can’t speak highly enough of them.
Ermm, actually, don’t take a trip with them as they fill up too fast – you might get MY spot!!!! 
These guys are awesome trip organisers, and I’m privileged to say, now great friends. 

Visited June 2012
1 Thank JennyOugh
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Reef Wreck and Critter”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I first met Jeff and Dawn Mullins in October 2011 on a live aboard dive trip to North Sulawesi Jeff and Dawn met us at Manado airport and made us all very welcome, we made our way down to the port of Bitung where we went on board the boat that was to home for the next 10 days it was well fitted out for divers and had comfortable accommodation in double cabins with good size beds and two cabins with bunk style beds, this was our "home boat".

All diving was done on a separate well appointed dive boat that accompanied the "home boat", all dive gear was stored on the dive boat including air compressors, dive cylinders etc. so the home boat was just for relaxing on the spacious lounges, eating, sleeping and sorting camera gear etc

We dived all the way up Lembeh Strait at places like Nudi Falls, Nudi Retreat, Angels Window then up through the North Sulawesi Coast and Bangka Island, up through Bunaken Island and back down into Lembeh Strait this was my first time diving in this part of Indonesia it was an unforgettable experience.

Jeff is a well known and respected Australian photo journalist, he provided advice to those amongst our group who were new to the wonderful world of underwater photography and encouragement to the more experienced ones, in the evenings Jeff would provide instruction on Adobe Lightroom and provide critique on the days photography and suggest camera settings to improve results, Jeff is ably assisted by his wife Dawn, she is a lovely lady and a great host who went out of her way to make everyone feel right at home, she is also a great spotter of small critters to photograph.

The dive guides on the boat know these waters backwards, at the pre dive briefings they would tell us what we could expect to see and where to it and sure enough on most dives they were right, they couldn't do enough to help, from assisting divers into their gear, finding elusive critters for us to photograph etc it was a pleasure to dive with these people.

I did a recent trip to Tulamben in Bali with a group of friends from my dive club, Jeff and Dawn Mullins spend about 8 months of the year in Bali, they have a home not far from Tulamben so when we travelled to the Liberty Dive Resort for a week of diving several of our group spent a full day with Jeff getting familiar with our cameras under Jeffs tuition, this included a theory session where he explained in detail what f-stops were, exposure, shutter speeds, ISO etc this was followed by an in water session where we put into practise what we had learnt, this way everyone got to know their own camera and the settings required for either wide angle, macro, video etc.My own results have improved vastly since spending this invaluable time with Jeff

I look forward to diving with Jeff and Dawn again in the near future on one of their live aboard trips wether it is at Raja Ampat, Komodo, Lembeh Strait, or where ever.

Visited October 2011